mtbr member

The statement : "You have to get used to riding a 29er"

Its true.... when I first started riding a 29er I was in my old habit of trying to avoid big rocks and try to ride around them... Now that I have learned that I can roll over much more, my riding with a 29er is so much better than with a 26er... its true that the 26er is slightly better for picking a line... but with a 29er its not necessary to pick that line.. just roll over pretty much everything...

I get it now... its been 2 months now with my 29er and my 26er is now a lonely bike... I kind of feel sorry for that 26er bike now...

B.Ike
    IME there's a learning curve to any new bike.
    Get a rigid bike, you'll learn to ride the line you choose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Its true.... when I first started riding a 29er I was in my old habit of trying to avoid big rocks and try to ride around them... Now that I have learned that I can roll over much more, my riding with a 29er is so much better than with a 26er... its true that the 26er is slightly better for picking a line... but with a 29er its not necessary to pick that line.. just roll over pretty much everything...

I get it now... its been 2 months now with my 29er and my 26er is now a lonely bike... I kind of feel sorry for that 26er bike now...
    I've had my 29er for about a month now and i can echo your thoughts. The more I ride it the more comfortable and nice its feeling. Honestly when I first got it I was feeling a major case of regret and buyers remorse, it felt big, slow, heavy and lethargic. I've had my 26'er for 8 years now and it's dialed in and set up exactly how I like it. It's coming into it's own but I am seeing the benefits of the 29. I can say, the ONLY drawback to the 29 is the slow speed, technical stuff. It does everything else better. Conversely when I hop back on my26, it feels twitchy and unstable now. I log most of my rides and I'm getting quicker times on my 29 with no more effort. I rode the first few rides solo so didn't really have a basis for comparison while I was riding. Started riding with my buddy and found out how good it is. Doesn't feel as fast as it is. Definitely a good call and I don't see myself going back to 26'ers anytime soon
    Last edited by Tillers_Rule; 09-24-2012 at 11:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The statement : "You have to get used to riding a 29er" - Means that you've got to get used to wearing a big grin all throughout your ride. . .

turtles make me hot
    I rode a 26er hardtail for so many years, my riding had become very calculated. When I bought my first 29er fully, I tried riding it like I was used to riding. It wasn't working and I probably fell more in six months than I had in my life.
    I completely changed my riding style and I'm a different person on a bike. My buddy wishes we had before and after video.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Taking 29 to the next level: add a stiff frame (RIP9), tapered 140mm fork with 20mm thru-axle, big fat Ardent 2.4s or Hans Dampfs tubeless on stiff wheels (Flows) and you've for a point-and-pedal machine that eats rock gardens. I went to this set up after riding the more noodly pre-2009 RIP with a 120mm QR fork, and I've come to know what difference a stiff front end makes. It stays composed and on line. It feels like cheating. Does it make me a better rider? No. Does it make me ride better on the rocks and roots of central CT? YUP! And I'm still not used to it.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I didn't think I changed my riding style much. The more I do think about it the more I realize that

I don't worry about picking a line as much.

Point and roll over. Really like my 29er. I am 6'5'' Should have bought one years ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Taking 29 to the next level: add a stiff frame (RIP9), tapered 140mm fork with 20mm thru-axle, big fat Ardent 2.4s or Hans Dampfs tubeless on stiff wheels (Flows) and you've for a point-and-pedal machine that eats rock gardens. I went to this set up after riding the more noodly pre-2009 RIP with a 120mm QR fork, and I've come to know what difference a stiff front end makes. It stays composed and on line. It feels like cheating. Does it make me a better rider? No. Does it make me ride better on the rocks and roots of central CT? YUP! And I'm still not used to it.
    I lowered my wheel/tire weight by two lbs on my 29er by changing the wheelset and tires and by going tubeless... After that, yes, rock gardens are devoured...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule View Post
    I've had my 29er for about a month now and i can echo your thoughts. The more I ride it the more comfortable and nice its feeling. Honestly when I first got it I was feeling a major case of regret and buyers remorse, it felt big, slow, heavy and lethargic. I've had my 26'er for 8 years now and it's dialed in and set up exactly how I like it. It's coming into it's own but I am seeing the benefits of the 29. I can say, the ONLY drawback to the 29 is the slow speed, technical stuff. It does everything else better. Conversely when I hop back on my26, it feels twitchy and unstable now. I log most of my rides and I'm getting quicker times on my 29 with no more effort. I rode the first few rides solo so didn't really have a basis for comparison while I was riding. Started riding with my buddy and found out how good it is. Doesn't feel as fast as it is. Definitely a good call and I don't see myself going back to 26'ers anytime soon

if you havent done it already, lower the weight of your wheels/tires as much as possible... My 29er felt slightly lethargic also, until I lowered the spinning weight... After that it completely kills my 26er... Let me know if you want some suggestions...

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    I didn't think I changed my riding style much. The more I do think about it the more I realize that

I don't worry about picking a line as much.

Point and roll over. Really like my 29er. I am 6'5'' Should have bought one years ago.
    Yes!

I still try and pick the smooth line, but even riding rigid I no longer panic when I go off the "smooth" line. I know the 29er will keep going (this took awhile to become confident in the fact). I am sure that it has saved my face a couple times.

..which has given me increased confidence when I probably should have been more reserved.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    I remember my first few rides on my MCR9. I took it real easy, I was concerned about being on a totally new platform from my Trek carbon HT 26er. After I was comfortable with the handling, I had to come to terms with holding more cornering speed. The first few weeks of riding left me sore in places I hadn't been sore in before... I was slowing too much in corners and powering out to get back up to speed. Now, some years later, I'm on a f/s 29er and learning all over again!

I do not agree with mowing over rocks and roots just because it is not as noticeable on a 29er. You should still choose the best line whenever possible. Sometimes the best line IS through the rough stuff though!