Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008

Stan's Raven 29er Tire

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the NoTubes Raven 29er tire, and what your opinion on it was? I'm going to need to invest in a new set of tires soon, and they looked pretty good. I'm not too rough on tires, and I have an S-works Captain on my bike now.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    About half the volume of the Captain with less than half the traction.

mtbr member
    Depends on where you ride I guess...I like it on the rear. The tire rolls great and the breaking traction is really good with the correct pressure. Obviously it gives up some on high speed turns but about 1/4lb lighter than the captain talked about above.

mtbr member
    I've been running mine front and rear for about three months now. I replaced a set of crows I had for about a year. I find them to be good for the topography I ride which includes a lot of short steep climbs. The trails here are mostly tacky soil with roots at all different angles, rocks, logs, and lots of water bars on the climbs. In dry to slightly moist conditions, I have set my personal best on a six mile loop and an eleven mile loop on these tires. Even in the rain, I have not had and traction issues but did slow down and stick to the edges. The only spin out issues have been climbing water bars with about 1/2" of snow. What I do like is that these tires do not clog up, they shed mud pretty cleanly. Traction is good as long as you adjust for the conditions. The key to traction is dialing in the pressure and properly weighting and unweighting your tires over obstacles and keeping a good smooth spin. I run about 26 lbs. front and 28 lbs. rear. A more aggressive tire up front would be a good combo for railing the corners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "There is no try, either do -- or do not"

Old Fart at Play
    Quote Originally Posted by volpepazza
    I've been running mine front and rear for about three months now. I replaced a set of crows I had for about a year.
    Have you detected any significant difference from the Crows?
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Maximus
    Have you detected any significant difference from the Crows?
    I second this question. Do the Ravens seem as light and thin as the Crows are? I was looking to the Ravens for a new set of tires, but I wanted them "burley" enough to withstand rocky sections without a rip being a concern.
    Last edited by locobaylor; 02-22-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Stopped by the Path today...they have a new Maxxis 29er tire. 510 grams with tread very similar to the Larsen TT.

I would jump for that waaaay before the Raven with only a 50g weight penalty, but HUGE traction advantages.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Stopped by the Path today...they have a new Maxxis 29er tire. 510 grams with tread very similar to the Larsen TT.

I would jump for that waaaay before the Raven with only a 50g weight penalty, but HUGE traction advantages.
    What's the name of this tire? Do you have a link to it?

thanks.
    Product Photography / Bike Photography / Architecture
    www.nathankraxberger.com
    http://nathankraxberger.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

another question

Is it a bad idea to run a stan's tire, be it a crow or a raven with only a tube? I don't have tubeless 29er rims, but want both of these tires. Will the tire not seat correctly on a clincher type rim?

Jun 2008
    It'll be fine to run the tires with a tube. That being said, I suggest just making the wheels you have into a tubeless set-up with a rim strip and some sealant, and going tubeless. But your bike, your call I guess.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Stan's catalog specifically says you can use a tube with Stan's tires, but like locobaylor and myself recommends going tubeless.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nkrax
    What's the name of this tire? Do you have a link to it?

thanks.
    This is just a guess, but is it the Maxxis Aspen? How about a pic Padre? What width is it? You baited everyone now please show the goods.
    Also, Stan's is supposed to be making a 2.2 width for both the Crow and Raven.
    RIDE ON,
    Scotto

Old Fart at Play
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotto
    From what I can see on the notubes "tires" page, the 2.2 is available in 26" only.

Old Fart at Play
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Maximus
    From what I can see on the notubes "tires" page, the 2.2 is available in 26" only.
    To correct myself, I just found a reference to a Raven 29x2.2 here:
    http://www.actionsports.co.jp/img_no...es_catalog.pdf

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by locobaylor
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the NoTubes Raven 29er tire, and what your opinion on it was? I'm going to need to invest in a new set of tires soon, and they looked pretty good. I'm not too rough on tires, and I have an S-works Captain on my bike now.
    I think the tire looks very promising with the slightly raised center knobs (over the Crow) and the higher side knobs.

The question that is on my mind concerns the Raven 2.2 coming out in the 29"er size. That sounds like an ideal front tire application for my purposes (heck, rear too with only the addition of 50 grams). But is this tire actually available? Or is it vaporware.....

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 02-23-2009 at 04:37 AM.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Stans just sent me a new catalog this week when I ordered a sealer injector and it lists the Raven 29 2.2. However it doesn't list the 29er race wheelset yet.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotto
    This is just a guess, but is it the Maxxis Aspen? How about a pic Padre? What width is it? You baited everyone now please show the goods.
    The Aspen is not out in 29" version yet.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I asked stans about the raven 29 2.2 a couple weeks ago when I ordered my wheels and they said they were on order and they should be getting them within about a month.

mtbr member
    I don't really notice much difference between the two. I don't get to ride very consistently anymore either so I may not be the best judge of that. I'm looking forward to the 2.2 version, I think that will make a noticeable difference. As for sidewall tears, over the last 4 years I've ridden Ignitors, Crows, and Ravens tubeless and have never had a sidewall tear. I just wind up throwing the tires out after I wear the tread down. The only sidewall tear I've EVER had was inflicted by a cut sapling on a 26" Python UST. That was like getting stabbed.
    "There is no try, either do -- or do not"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre

For sale or on display? I have wanted that tire for a very long time in a 29er.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member

Raven 2.2

If anyone can confirm when 2.2 comes in or gets a look at them vs. the 2.0 I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
    FC

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    Due to arrive this Wednesday if all goes right.
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

NoTubes.com

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B.
    Due to arrive this Wednesday if all goes right.
    I just looked at the website today and didn't see a place holder for them. What will the cost be?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    lots of site updates in the works at the moment. To answer your question though, same as the 2.0
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

NoTubes.com

mtbr member
    i put the 700x35 raven on my bike and it rips on the road. i wouldnt ride it on anything other than tow path trails.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast