mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Stans Arch/ZTR versus Mavic/XT wheelset

Which is the better quality wheelset if running tubeless is not a factor?
    Are the Stans really worth the extra couple hundred dollars for the weight difference?
    What, 1800 some grams versus 2200 some grams? Not quite a pound?

I am 165Ibs and buiding up a bandersnatch for basic XC style riding.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    400g is close enough to a pound for me to care. I weigh 165 too. But the stans rims make running tubeless a breeze and thats reason enough.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    How is maintenance for the ZTR hubs?
    Last edited by Rshafer; 06-29-2010 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ZTR hubs with Arch rims, straight from the factory. Been running this combination on a Ti 29er since Jan 01 and I weigh 170. You won't be dissappointed. The rims set up tubeless with no problem and are strong. The hubs spin fast and get even better once broken in. Just recently took the rear apart with two allen wrenches and relubed the rear. The bearings are sealed bearings and there was virtually no trash in the hub. The free hub comes right off exposing three paws. The paws insert into slots in the hub body and are tensioned by thin metal tabs, not springs that pop out. I've got at least 1000 miles on them and they show no noticable wear. Bought these because of price and I've got a partner riding with ZTR/355 that he has had no problems with either, and we've been racing with them in 50, 60, and 100 mile events. Recently purchased a CK/Crest race set because that's what I've been wanting, but will be using the ZTR/Arch for a Colorado backpacking vacation in the fall. And don't kid yourself, a lighter wheel will make a difference, and if you could try out the two different pairs, you would notice.
    Unicoi29

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Look at the Sun Ringle EQ also. They make Stans wheels.

mtbr member
    You will not find a better bang for the buck over ZTR hubs and crest wheels. They weigh about 1550gms and yes, lighter wheels on a 29er will be the best performance upgrade you can do to a 29er.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Cool, Thanks guys.
    Just wanting to assure myself that the extra money is well spent on my bike build.
    I do want to do it right the first time regarding wheels, and not wish I had something else down the road.

mtbr member
    Just curious, how long did it take for wheelsets to show up after you ordered them? I ordered mine last week (Crest/ZTR) and the wait is killing me. Not to complain, as I'd rather not have them rush a build, but I wasn't able to get an ETA out of them.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Stans has been having some supply problems with the 29" rims. They probably have some backorders before yours.