mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Standover height advice for a n00b!? (Kona Kahuna Deluxe)

So I've decided I want to buy a bike. Great. Now I just need to find one. Not so great.

I've checked a ton of dealers, tried various bikes and at this point I am so thoroughly confused by what I am supposed to have for a bike size.

I am 5' 11 and a 1/2" tall. However, when I strip down to my skivies and do that test where you push a book up against the wall between your legs, right up against the crotch, I get 31". Which is apparently on the shorter side of legs for someone my height. I really dig the Kona Kahuna line and wanted one of those bikes but just can't figure out what size to get and the dealers seem more interested in selling me a bike that getting the exact size. Maybe because I'm a tweener and they're not sure which one to get? (I've checked every single one in a 3 hour radius, I'm not driving any further, so please don't tell me to just keep looking for another shop)

I am stuck between an 18" and 19" frame (for Kona.) I have tried other brands and find all 19" frames to be pretty snug and the next size down of 17.5" to work. But for whatever reason, those dealers don't seem to be quite as picky about the fit as the Kona dealer. So they don't even really pay attention to what my arms look like (i.e. the bend when I'm riding.) One of the Kona dealers said there is something unique about the way the kona saddle, or seat post is set up, so I would definitely need to go 19 inches. Only problem is, all the online videos talk about 2 inches of clearance and there is no way I get 2 inches of standover clearance. The "boys" are pressed right up against that bar when I stand. I am worried about jumping off the saddle and feeling like a hungry mule just kicked me right in the man parts.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm almost 5"10' with a 30" inseam. I've got a 19" Kona Kikapu and it fits me pretty well. Maybe a LITTLE too big, but not by much. It'd fit you perfect.

ALSO ITS FOR SALE SUPER CHEAP *nudge nudge

Seriously though, go for 19".

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am 6ft with a 33 inch inseam with the book. I have a 20011 19" Unit that fits perfect with a 100 mm stem and o deg seat post. You will need to get your bike based on ett length that you know works for you.
    2011 Kona unit with some carbon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What is ett length? And by the way, do all manufacturers measure SO height the same way? Giant seems to offer bigger sizes with short stand over heights. There 20inch frame has a stand over height that is 2 inches shorter than the Kona 19inch. WTH? And that seems like they're shorter (at least in 29) than most every other brand.

mtbr member
    I'm about 5'10" with a 30" standover barefoot(all torso and arms). I just scored a 2010 Specialized hardrock sport 29er on CL in a 19" frame. It's big and the standover is about 31-32" or so, but when I'm on the bike it fits perfect. I have to lean the bike a little to one side when stopping/dismounting but nothing serious. The guy I got it from was the same build as me and a shop fit him to the bike. I was basing my decision on standover alone for a long time, the geometry that fit's you best when on the bike is way more important.