Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Upset Stand over height q

I think I know the outcome here...but need your expertise:

my mail order bike just arrived - a 20" frame. After assembly, "my boys" are slightly resting (more than grazing...resting) on the top tube when standing flat footed, despite proving all my measurements to the shop prior to order. I'm 5'11.5" w a 33" inseam, if you care . My old 19" Specialized gave 'em 1.5-2" of clearance which was all the freedom they've ever needed.

this new 20" bike is too big, right? "My boys" are telling me to repack and send back...but what a pain. Agree? What is the lesser of the two pains?

There's always next year.
    Hard to tell without hearing what top tube (and reach) measurements are on both bikes. I don't look at seat tube measurements (or sizes) at all when looking at new frames at all, because they're more or less meaningless to how one fits in riding position--and can be slightly different brand to brand. With all that said, it clearly sounds like you won't be comfortable on this bike, no matter how you 'fit' on it; sounds like you already know what you want to do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Stand over has very little to almost nothing to do with proper fit.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Then WHY is it mentioned in almost EVERY fitting guide I've ever read???

To the OP my boys have less than zero standover clearance but the bike fits great when I'm actually on it. I'm 5' 7 and ride a medium frame but I have short legs and would need to ride a kids bike to get the recommended standover clearance.

squish, squish in da fish
    tape em to your belly, lol

mtbr member
    I agree with TwoTone stand over has little to do with bike fit. If you like the bike and the size is right keep it. Don't worry about hitting the boys how often do you crash on to the top tube with bike staying straight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post

To the OP my boys have less than zero standover clearance but the bike fits great when I'm actually on it. I'm 5' 7 and ride a medium frame but I have short legs and would need to ride a kids bike to get the recommended standover clearance.
    Because it's an old, generic out date method that won't die.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

TR
    Angry bunny
    Agreed 100% but a 5'11" guy has no business riding a 20" bike (which I assume will have a 25"+ ETT).
    I am 6'2" tall and that is what I ride.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Because it is vitally important for people who spend large periods standing over their bike with their feet flat on a level surface.

Happy Trails

Stand over height q

Sending back will be a hassle for about a week. I agree that stand over clearance doesn't have much to do with riding geometry, but I'll bet very, very few riders are on a bike with less than 1" clearance. Send it back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The bike fits otherwise, and I sent a half dozen measurements to "the pros" before purchasing. It's my only hesitation, but seemingly doesn't matter all that much accd to you all.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by cjeffcampbell View Post
    The bike fits otherwise, and I sent a half dozen measurements to "the pros" before purchasing. It's my only hesitation, but seemingly doesn't matter all that much accd to you all.
    Have you got incredibly short legs and an incredibly long torso and arms?
    What is the ETT of this mystery bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It's an airborne goblin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    And I'm normally proportioned...lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Agreed 100% but a 5'11" guy has no business riding a 20" bike (which I assume will have a 25"+ ETT).
    I am 6'2" tall and that is what I ride.
    It's 24.5 ETT so could I think it probably fits.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

TR
    Angry bunny
    Well that is fine then.
    Most 20" ST bikes I have seen lately have a longer than 25" ETT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjeffcampbell View Post
    I think I know the outcome here...but need your expertise:

my mail order bike just arrived - a 20" frame. After assembly, "my boys" are slightly resting (more than grazing...resting) on the top tube when standing flat footed, despite proving all my measurements to the shop prior to order. I'm 5'11.5" w a 33" inseam, if you care . My old 19" Specialized gave 'em 1.5-2" of clearance which was all the freedom they've ever needed.

this new 20" bike is too big, right? "My boys" are telling me to repack and send back...but what a pain. Agree? What is the lesser of the two pains?
    The boys are wise... Pack it up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    Sending back will be a hassle for about a week. I agree that stand over clearance doesn't have much to do with riding geometry, but I'll bet very, very few riders are on a bike with less than 1" clearance. Send it back.
    Plus one

Carbon & Ti rule
    +1 on this.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Because bad/mis-information persists forever.

The only relationship of standover to bike fit, honestly, is potentially about bailing out off the bike.

Stand-over is the easy-sell in the shop to make people comfy with buying a purchase, and dates back to rigid-only bikes. It has contributed heavily towards where most (and I mean *most* as in 75%+) of the MTBs sold are smaller than they should be to fit the rider properly.

Once you factor in front- and full-suspension bikes, an larger wheel sizes, it's not hard to imagine how completely wrong it is to size a bike based upon stand-over.

All that said, if it really bothers you, return the bike. If you can. And go to the LBS to find what you are comfortable with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Bike is too big, replace!
    Do your boys touch when you stand with one foot in the pedal and one foot(on tip-toe on the ground)?
    When you crash you go OVER the bars, NOT on the bar, or you go over sideways...but your bike is too bike. Will it work, yes...but even on full squish you want to be able to move around on the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    ...All that said, if it really bothers you, return the bike. If you can. And go to the LBS to find what you are comfortable with.
    This. While stand over may not relate to fit, it may very well relate to clipping your nads if you ever find yourself stepping off the saddle in a losing-control situation.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Happy Trails

Stand over height q

I don't have any first hand experience with Airborne, but my perception is that they have fantastic customer service and enjoy engaging riders on their manufacturer's forum. I like to stick my head in occasionally to read the kool-aid crew rave about their bikes. Heck those guys get stoked at the thought of probably buying a bike at some point in the near future. I would ask BDF for some advice in the forum. Their website reports that they will work with you on a fit problem. At 5-11 you are probably in between size M and L, so this is a fair question. But for me, Im usually in between size XL and L, and at 6-1.5 I'd buy a 20" Goblin, and not a 22".

My personal experience in switching from an XL 29er with a 24.8" effective top tube (with 90mm stem and zero setback post) to a L with 24.3" ETT (and 20mm setback post plus 100mm stem) is that I like the fit of the smaller bike a lot better. **With the stem and post setup, and minor saddle rail adjustment, my riding position and cockpit geometry is almost exactly the same on the two bikes, but the smaller bike rides better.** There are definitely other factors driving this subjective assessment, since the new bike is a better, lighter bike, but I'm convinced the smaller bike fits me better. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Someone has never sat on his boys

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    Someone has never sat on his boys
    No I'm someone who has crashed plenty over the last 20 years and have yet to crash, land both feet flat foot and hurt my nuts. I also haven't in those twenty years spent any time just hanging out flat footed on my bike or known anyone that does. If I'm out riding and I take a break I move off the trail and grab a tree, or lean over and put my foot on a rock, tree etc...
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast