Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Stainless Steel DH 29er Frame with dual drive chains

I wasn't planning on letting this cat out of the bag yet, but since a picture of it already leaked out on the interwebs I might as well roll with it.

This frame (and a couple others) will be available first quarter 2013 from my burgeoning company - Oxide Cycles.

I'm pursuing a grant to jump start the company and hoping I might get a little help from you. More on that below...

As the title says, this bike is stainless steel. I wanted to explore several concepts with this frame:

Building with stainless was one, 29" wheels (adjustable for 650b and 26") a jackshaft drive system that was cleaner and simpler than other examples I've seen and single speed.

I'm stoked on how it turned out and the ride is sublime.

I'd like to share more images and details, but you are going to have to earn them! I need help with a financial grant being offered by Chase Bank and Living Social. It requires 250 'votes' to qualify and I have until the end of this month (June 2012) Right now I have over half the votes done. Just need about another 100.

Once I get to 250 votes I will post more pictures and details.

To vote, you need a facebook account and this link:

www.missionsmallbusiness.com

Click the big blue button on the right side of the start page labeled "Log in & Support"

Log in with your facebook info and then search for my business name: Velomech (you can easily find it without selecting a city and state, but if you want, I'm in Boise, Idaho)

At the bottom of the page click "VOTE"

Done. Easier than it sounds. Takes one minute.

Once I hit 250 I'll spill all the beans you want. No votes, then no beans til 2013.

So cast them votes and if you don't have a facebook account, get one of your facebooking friends log in and vote on your behalf.

Thanks!

-Alan
    Last edited by =VELOMECH=; 06-16-2012 at 03:03 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm with you.
    2014 TallBoy2 C XX1

humber river advocate
    sick!
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

transmitter~receiver
    sounds/looks like a killer project.

I can't help you due to the Facebook requirement.

best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Just curious, not being a bagger, why stainless?

I know it's a growing material, but the general consensus is it's great for road frames, but is awfully brittle, thus, not great for MTB, particularly DH.

Not coming from a know it all standpoint, if it's some new material that solves this, awesome!

Nice looking frame!

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Gave you my vote, good luck!

usually cranky
    done

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Fair question. All metal alloys come in a rainbow of flavors. Many are unsuitable for bike frames for various reasons. Recently a company called KVA stainless has devoted some of their considerable talent to producing tubing for the bicycle frame building industry. Without them, this bike would not exist. They list metallurgical properties on their site, if you are into that sort of thing. But generally speaking, these stainless tubes have exceptional fatigue resistance comparable to titanium with greater rigidity for the same cross section.
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Just curious, not being a bagger, why stainless?

I know it's a growing material, but the general consensus is it's great for road frames, but is awfully brittle, thus, not great for MTB, particularly DH.

Not coming from a know it all standpoint, if it's some new material that solves this, awesome!

Nice looking frame!

mtbr member
    Sorry, I'm no engineer, but that looks like a disaster circa 1995(?).

mtbr member

mtbr member
    voted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atom29 View Post
    Yup, you're no engineer!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    OP: voted; good luck man!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Possible to see it in Boise?
    Idaho

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by atom29 View Post
    Sorry, I'm no engineer, but that looks like a disaster circa 1995(?).
    Huh? You don't know what your talking about.

To the OP, cool bike, would love to vote but no Facebook crap here.

Underskilled
    Nice looking frame.

Voted

Can't help but think that putting a hub gear in that frame would make it a lot more popular.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Just playing, yeah more going on there than I know. I wouldn't think all your investors would be engineers, so you might have to explain the design a bit to inspire the cash flow.

mtbr member
    I voted.

Please don't wait too long to spill the beans...I'm deciding what my next 29er frame will be, so far, it looks like a Banshee Prime...but this frame might change my mind and might be worth waiting for (I already have a 29er Dorado and a pair of Dissent 2.5 tires I could put on it).

Thanks.
    Last edited by jbsocal; 06-17-2012 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    +1 vote. Good luck with it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Looks like an interesting project, but as an investor I'd have a hard time with two things:

Steel-great for hardtails, bit of a hard sell with carbon and aluminum owning 99% of the DH market now.

Tires: No dual ply 29" DH tires on the market anymore, and my guess is, with 650B coming on strong, there never will be. No DH tires, no DH bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Voted twice (used wifes facebook)! Good luck and would love to a stainless trail bike too.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Exactly

This looks like a fantastically fun bike to ride, and I'm sure it was a really fun project to build. It is also a terrible business proposition and probably a great way to lose a bunch of money.

I've done a bunch of weird (but not quite this weird) 7+" travel 29er DH frames over the years (starting in 2005!) All of them rode great and I really enjoyed them. Nobody has *ever* wanted to buy one. C'est la vie. The DH market is not interested in $5k+ vanity frames (and honestly, can you blame them?) Heck, we don't even have a TIRE anymore after WTB pulled the plug on the Kodiak and Dissent.

I could be completely wrong, of course, but if I am, your best bet is still to just make information available, not try to do some kind of wacky social media guerrilla marketing/kickstarter stuff. If people want what you're making, you're golden. If they don't, no amount of facebook shenanigans will help.

As an aside, where do you ride DH in Boise? I'm moving to SLC in 6 weeks and there is NOTHING to ride my 6" bike on around there - a couple of mediocre trails at the resorts and that's about it. I was expecting more gravity stuff given how popular it is here in CO, but it seems that scene is in it's infancy in the Wasatch.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by eMcK View Post
    Looks like an interesting project, but as an investor I'd have a hard time with two things:

Steel-great for hardtails, bit of a hard sell with carbon and aluminum owning 99% of the DH market now.

Tires: No dual ply 29" DH tires on the market anymore, and my guess is, with 650B coming on strong, there never will be. No DH tires, no DH bikes.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I voted for ya. I'll be interested in follow up on this project, but like others have posted getting some essential components sounds like a daunting task. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for all the votes and comments.

I don't normally spend time on facebook or forums. It is purely a concession for the grant I'm applying for and the voting process they have set forth.

Keep in mind I have other projects in the works. The DH bike here was an outlet for concepts I want to explore, much like a show car from an auto manufacturer. I have no illusions of selling them in volume. The design has been configured to adapt to IGH hubs, derailleurs and the other two wheel sizes to make it more market friendly if I choose.

The grant monies I'm seeking will go towards a lineup of XC and all mountain products that better apply to the area cyclists. Sadly, the DH scene here is almost nonexistent. We do have some really fun trails, but you have to work at getting to them. But that is why road trips were invented!

Also, these frames are a house brand for a thriving local bike shop. As a stand alone business, it would be limited. But as a component of a larger operation it make sense. This grant is not for start ups. The business must be at least two years old (Velomech is in its fifth year) I'm just building on the success of the shop by providing a local frame option that will hopefully gain widespread appeal. Like Moots bikes for example.

Another benefit to developing this bike brand is the community involvement. We are setting up programs with the Boise State University Engineering Department. Our partnership with them will provide fun and interesting design challenges for the senior students. Hands on projects that will become a part of the production lineup. Most college students like bikes, and the enthusiasm for working on a real product (not something theoretical) makes for a huge boost in enthusiasm and engagement in the student.

The long term vision is to create engineering and manufacturing jobs in Boise so that when the students graduate they will have a local job option as well. Kind of a farm to table concept. The type of thing that builds healthy communities.

And if you are in Boise, stop by Velomech and check out the DH bike and the others that will be done soon.

Cheers,

-Alan

Underskilled
    Actually Walt makes a good point. Is anyone remotely interested in buying this bike, or just voted to find out more about it?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast