mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Stache 8 rear axle issue

I rode for about 40 miles on my Stache 8 and it started to creak from the rear wheel area when I would pedal. I took it in to my LBS and they said that it was because the rear through axle needed tightened. They tightened it and the creak went away. Then the rear wheel wouldn't spin as freely as it should, and when I loosened it just a bit so it would, the through axle would spin itself loose (I was riding on some pretty rocky stuff though).

I don't want to tighten the axle so much that it won't allow the wheel to spin as it should, but if I don't, it jiggles itself loose. Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I find it odd that the rear hub would bind if the 12mm axle was tight. I had creaking on our test Stache 8 from the beginning at the rear axle. I took it out and lightly greased the axle threads and QR pivot points and it went away.

Even with the axle very snug there is no binding. Sure that it was not the brake rubbing?

The way I understood the rear axle was that the allen screw at the Q/R lever/pivot sets the point where the Q/R lever ends up when the axle is 1) screwed in to the other dropout to a point where 2) the Q/R can be closed by hand in the clocking position that you want it to be AND at a good level of closing force so it stays put.

Has worked so far after some light grease as mentioned.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

For your health.
    Something is wrong with the hub if it's adjustment depends on the QR axle tightness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The axle is greased lightly. I thought it might be the brake, but the only time the spin is hindered is when the axle is tightened with some force. When the axle is tightened with a little less force but still snug, it spins freely, but eventually comes loose. This leads me to believe there is a direct correlation between the axle and the problem.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Huh. Well something is amiss. As was mentioned, it should not bind. If you are not confident in your mechanical skills, I would take it to a shop you trust to look at it before it ruins something. If it was the brake, I would think you could hear it/see it dragging anyway.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah, my shop is great so I'm going to take it in to them tonight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jcerion929rr View Post
    The axle is greased lightly. I thought it might be the brake, but the only time the spin is hindered is when the axle is tightened with some force. When the axle is tightened with a little less force but still snug, it spins freely, but eventually comes loose. This leads me to believe there is a direct correlation between the axle and the problem.
    If the bike was set up with the axle a little loose then it's quite likely the brake. Cinching it down may move the rotor to a slightly different position, probably nothing to worry about. Glad you like your shop, they should be able to help you out pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    thanks everyone. . . cm374 you were totally right. I had looked at the brake and it seemed ok, but then when I checked it again tonight it was rubbing. I took it in and he did a little adjusting and I'm good to go.