Thread: Stache 8

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Stache 8

After a ton of deliberating between MANY different hardtails (including the f29 2, superfly elite, stumpjumper evo, etc), I decided to go with the Trek Stache 8. I wasn't worried about getting a race oriented bike, because I won't be racing. I wanted a bike that would be fairly comfortable for the longer rides, yet would handle well in the tight stuff, and be really playful and fun. I think I got it all in this bike. It's going to take about a week to come in, because nobody has the 8 in stock anywhere near me. I'll post pictures when it finally comes in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have a stache, an 8 frame with 7 parts

You're going to love the bike. I have zero regrets, it rides awesome. Weather has been crappy here, so I only have about 12 miles total on it,

See if your shop will convert it to tubeless when you get it in, im currently waiting for the parts to get in so my LBS can convert it over

check out the stache thread in the trek forum

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have my LBS converting it to tubeless when they are building it, so it'll be tubeless the first time I see it. I figure I might as well get it all done now. I can't wait for this thing. I'm ready to hit the trails!

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    We have been riding one for a couple of weeks now and just converted it to tubeless with the TLR kit and installed a Stealth Reverb. Nice additions. Fun bike so far and not bad weight for the size and such...XL with SPDs, 2 cages, dropper post and tubeless...28lbs 2oz.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I test rode the stache 8 today and I liked it a lot, but i still cant pull the trigger on if I want it or the stumpjumper evo

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've had my stache 8 for a month now and I continue to be amazed at how much fun it is to ride. Climbs great, rolls fast, descends very well. Just have to smooth out the line choice with the hardtail but it brings back fond memories of when I first started riding.

3 mustes with this bike: tubeless setup, shorter stem (I went to 50mm), and a dropper post (stealth reverb preferred). These 3 things really make the bike shine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    okay cool thanks your the input setransou

mtbr member
    The Evo is a different beast..less travel and racier geo...need to determine what kind of bike you want.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Rode one at a demo and really liked it too. Very confidence inspiring. However, it has made me hate my 26er and not want to ride it anymore and its up for sale. Now all i do is figure out how I can afford to get one or build something similar on a budget. Wife's in grad school full time, have two kids too so money's tight till she finishes...
    Been looking at what other frames have similar geo and watching local and ebay for deals on forks.

Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Home

Stache 8-20130402_224635.jpgStache 8-20130402_224653.jpg

Finally got the 8 home! Haven't had a chance to take it out, aside from around the neighborhood. Not 100% sure I want to go for a clipless setup (regardless of the constant badgering by friends) so I decided to get a pair of Saints for now. They look awesome and once I removed the washers and rode them with my 510s my feet felt glued to the pedal.

I am so stoked to take this thing out on the trail. Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm rolling with a saint/5-10 setup too on mine. Don't let your friends turn you to the darkside!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have been debating this bike. I keep thinking full suspension because I have been riding one for so long.

Something keeps drawing back to the stache 8. I even drove 2 hour to a trek demo event to ride one. I wish I could have a SF 100 AL elite and the stache.

Great looking bike!
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    This is a very fun bike. That geometry is winning me over. More time required, but I think Trek hit this one dead on.
    Blog Ramblings

29ers Forever
    I absolutely love the Stache 8, although I can not afford one. I prefer the hardtails to any full-suspension bike because they are in my mind nimbler, can climb better, and can also be ridden on the road easier. I also believe that hardtails are faster than a FS bike.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by THOWEDMODE2323 View Post
    I test rode the stache 8 today and I liked it a lot, but i still cant pull the trigger on if I want it or the stumpjumper evo
    Go with the stache 8, evo is good but stache is a lot better. You like it when you tested it so you really can't go wrong with it...

singletrak junkie
    I was thinking off changing the seat post to a 20 mm offset as opposed to the 0 offset that is stock. My Mamba had a 20mm and I think I felt better pedaling . Is it just me ? I got 100 plus trail miles and something feels abit diff.
    "do it in the dirt "

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by spk1264 View Post
    I was thinking off changing the seat post to a 20 mm offset as opposed to the 0 offset that is stock. My Mamba had a 20mm and I think I felt better pedaling . Is it just me ? I got 100 plus trail miles and something feels abit diff.
    I like the stock post having a zero offset clamp, but I tend to prefer steeper seat tube angles.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spk1264 View Post
    Keep in mind the seat tube angle when you consider situations like this. Not sure what the Mamba is, but the 72* Stache will already have you back behind the crank a bit.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My buddy just got a stache 8 and I just got a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR elite 29er. I love his bike, very fun to ride, and is fast and nimble.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    After 100+ miles I can definitely say that I LOVE this bike!! I went from a hardtail 26er to this and after 10 miles or so I got the handling dialed in. This thing rips through the windy singletrack, climbs like a beast, is easy to get off the ground, and handles rocks/roots/logs like a champ. It is unbelievably fun and I am so glad I went for it over a straight XC bike like I was going to.