mtbr member
    Aug 2010

SS Steel Frames similar to Niner M.C.R.?

I have a geared Niner M.C.R. and love it.

I want to build an SS and would just get an S.I.R. but can't do EBB.

So I could either build another M.C.R. with a tensioner or get another frame.

I like the Salsa El Mariachi due to being steel, small BB, and the chain adjustment.

Can anybody tell me how the El Mar would compare ride and feelwise to my MCR?

Any other frame recommendations that meet my criteria are welcomed!

Thanks!

ballbuster

I dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    I have a geared Niner M.C.R. and love it.

I want to build an SS and would just get an S.I.R. but can't do EBB.

So I could either build another M.C.R. with a tensioner or get another frame.

I like the Salsa El Mariachi due to being steel, small BB, and the chain adjustment.

Can anybody tell me how the El Mar would compare ride and feelwise to my MCR?

Any other frame recommendations that meet my criteria are welcomed!

Thanks!
    I'll take an EBB over slotted drops any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Any reason for the distane of the eccentric?

I love my Singular Swift... but it's got an EBB. I'll say, I've only had it slip once. Since cleaning it well and installing it with a torque wrench, things been flawless.

Adventure Mapper
    After being set on getting a mcr for a few weeks, but considering a mariachi as well (search for mcr mariachi in the forum search and you are sure to find my thread where I illicited replies about the two), I decided the mariachi was the more versatile of the two and it seems like a good ride for the long haul that can be run ss which was a major selling point for me. Also the paint being more durable and the pivoting dropouts were both held in high regard from people who have had niner painted frames as well as ebb and other types of tensioning systems. Salsa really does seem to be great at providing tools for their new motto of Adventure by Bike. Niner's motto has never been as encouraging to me and their frames are a little overpriced in my opinion, but they seem to ride and fit pretty decently. The biocentric ebb that they have now on the sir and one9 seem much better than the previous version, but still, an ebb to me seems like a less reliable/durable option since the bb is where the most stress is probably applied to the frame through normal riding. I imagine that an ovalized bb is pretty tough to repair. The mariachi is going to be heavier, but likely more durable and from others I have talked to, its one of the most fun rides around. Not sure if that helps, but its my opinion that I have formed over the last month of research and what has led me to my decision for which frame to get next.
    Last edited by forgiven_nick; 07-22-2011 at 12:33 AM.
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    I have to second the Singular. I never belived the whole steel is real deal until I rode one. I had a Vassago Bandersnatch in the past that felt aluminum, stiff and harsh. But the Swift is pretty sweet, or you could look at the Salsa if you don't want an EBB.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The new EBB on the Niner is a terrible design. Everything has to be just perfect or it will slip or squeak. Way too finicky for a mountain bike. If I were replacing my older SIR9 with the set screw EBB (no problems but I don't change gearing or move it very often), I'd be looking at the El Mariachi instead. Or maybe an On-One Inbred 29er with the slot dropout.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    what about a Spot Rocker SS?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    EBB's suck! What is your BB drop?? BB drop is not something that you (I at least) want as a variable.
    Sliders are the best system, IMHO.
    If you want an EBB, get a Blackbuck. Everybody that I know that has one, LOVES IT!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I was skeptical about ebbs too until I tried one. It has been slip-free and silent for almost 2 years of use with minimal maintenance.
    Oh yeah, it's a Singular Swift (I see a trend here).

mtbr member
    I've tried just about every type of single speed setup there is (except swingers), and I really, really, like the pinch bolt EBB on my new Blackbuck:

Solid, squeak and slip free, easy to adjust, it blows away my previous Bushnell type EBBs (I didn't really have a complaint with the set screw EBB on my Peregrine, but I didn't put many miles on it)
    WTB: Niner SIR9, size L, first gen
    My blog about bikes and playgrounds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    After being set on getting a mcr for a few weeks, but considering a mariachi as well (search for mcr mariachi in the forum search and you are sure to find my thread where I illicited replies about the two), I decided the mariachi was the more versatile of the two and it seems like a good ride for the long haul that can be run ss which was a major selling point for me. Also the paint being more durable and the pivoting dropouts were both held in high regard from people who have had niner painted frames as well as ebb and other types of tensioning systems. Salsa really does seem to be great at providing tools for their new motto of Adventure by Bike. Niner's motto has never been as encouraging to me and their frames are a little overpriced in my opinion, but they seem to ride and fit pretty decently. The biocentric ebb that they have now on the sir and one9 seem much better than the previous version, but still, an ebb to me seems like a less reliable/durable option since the bb is where the most stress is probably applied to the frame through normal riding. I imagine that an ovalized bb is pretty tough to repair. The mariachi is going to be heavier, but likely more durable and from others I have talked to, its one of the most fun rides around. Not sure if that helps, but its my opinion that I have formed over the last month of research and what has led me to my decision for which frame to get next.
    Have you ridden both the MCR and El Mar?

Can you provide more info. in terms of how the MCR compares geometry/feel/ride wise with the MCR?

I want something as close to the MCR as possible as I love the aggressive geometry.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I found this place his has a large and a xlarge Dragon 29er Steel 520 in stock hope that helps

http://corythebikefixer.com/index.ph...d=10&Itemid=21

Adventure Mapper
    I havent ridden both of them, but some people on mtbr have and they have weighed in on a few of the threads I have created or read on the topic of these two bikes (searched for "salsa el mariachi niner mcr"):

Endurance Racing HT - El Mariachi or Niner MCR?

in the market....

PhatSlug has owned both. his post in the second thread I posted the link to above was really helpful to me.
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by efraguiluz View Post
    what about a Spot Rocker SS?
    I have looked at Spot. Really intrigued by the idea of the smoothness and quietness of the belt drive.

Head tube angle looks too raked for me.
    Last edited by racefit; 07-22-2011 at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Singular Swift is nice. I even e-mailed them that if they made one without an EBB, I would buy one.
    I just HATE having a variable BB height. I would much rather have a variable chainstay length. For fireroads I slide it back, for single track I slide it forward.
    I will not buy a bike with an EBB! I will also not buy a bike that is Carolina Blue. I would rather walk!
    Thank god that Singular's blue is just a little different.

ballbuster
    It looks a bit more gray-blue in real life. My camera tends to make the colors pop a bit more than reality.

And... the variable BB height issue... its very minor. I'm maybe 1 or 2mm from the lowest point, and in that arc I can take up a crapload of chain.

Actually, you have two heights you can choose. I run mine in the down position. I love low BBs. Good for railing singletrack at speed, outside pedal down with weight on it, leaned over. Good times....

But.... I can see why folks object to EBBs. I don't blame you. I don't know how much of that boils down to differences in EBB designs. My Swift has little allen set screws into a Phil Wood EBB insert. The important thing is not to tighten it too much (or too little) or the EBB shell gets egg-shaped and causes problems.

Bushnell IIRC has some sort of expanding wedge. Lots of moving (during clamping) aluminum parts angled against each other is probably where all the creaking comes from. It's probably just a matter of keeping it clean inside, well greased and properly torqued.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 07-22-2011 at 12:42 PM.