mtbr member
    Oct 2010

SRAM 2x10 XX cranks with 2011 XTR group?

I have a 2011 XTR group and a 29er frame that aren't digging each other. Cranks are a no go. Can I keep the XTR drivetrain and just swap out the XTR crankset for XX cranks?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Will it work?

C'mon, help a noob out. I either make the crank swap or move to a whole different group. Anyone ever do this?

Old school BMXer
    What's the problem? Why won't the cranks work with the frame? What frame? Which XTR cranks?
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

More info

I have a 2011 XTR 2x10 crankset 26/38. My Moots MootoX YBB will not accept these cranks. I also have the rest of the XTR group. I know that SRAM XX cranks 2x10 in 26/39 will work no problem with the frame. So, the best solution, if it works, would be to swap the cranks. Can it be done?

Old school BMXer
    Again...why won't the frame work with the cranks??
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yes...I bought a Motobecane Ti 29er with XTR. The cranks that came with the bike were the wrong size for me, so I bought some SRAM XX cranks and they work great with the XTR stuff. I'd also recommend looking at either VeloNews.com or Singletrack.com (both) where I saw an article addressing just this issue. It's where I decided to give my setup a try and have had no problems with it. BTW, it is all 2x10 stuff, if that matters.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Blaster- no idea why it doesn't work. Something to do with a change in the chain line for 2x10 XTR. I saw where one guy on the Moots forum got it to work with a Saint BB and 3 spacers on the drive side. Not good enough for me. Already have a King BB and I'll not compromise on that part. Moots made a change to the chain stays and the problem is fixed for all new frames.

Taob- thanks for your reply. That is what I was hoping to hear. I plan on keeping all of the XTR 2x10 parts except for the crankset which I will swap out with XX 26/39. Hoping my setup works as well as yours.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    No problem..good luck with it. One thing I thought about after the last post is be sure the Q-factor you order is right for your frame. Some people have trouble with the 156 being too narrow for their frames. I went with the 166 to be safe, but the 156 would have been fine. Maybe figure out what was on there originally?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If it's any help, the XTR 26/38 crank is just a normal triple (64/104 bdc) crank running a 26T granny ring and a 38T middle, with no big ring.

The 28/40 is a dedicated 2x crank (hence the different bcd) and consequently the chainrings, although slightly larger, should have more chance of clearing beefy chainstays as they sit slightly further out.