Reviewer/Tester

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! "Squirt" Chain Lube Review...

I've just finished a 5 month review on this lube.

My tests and conclusions can be read in the New Products forum.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

Harmonius Wrench
    I've been using this stuff for nigh on to two years now. Good stuff, but will wash off in the wet, harsher conditions, which to my mind is its only down fall.

I rate it amongst the top lubes, but not at the top. DuMonde Tech is still the best, by a long shot.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    never heard of dumonde tech, went to their website, they claim to increase "break" horsepower, which means they are idiots.
    the time is right for violent revolution

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecop
    never heard of dumonde tech, went to their website, they claim to increase "break" horsepower, which means they are idiots.
    They do automotive/motorcycle lubes too.

Whatever, it is the best lube for bicycles (look under their cycling products) that I have ever used. I don't care about "break" horsepower either, but it works. Nothing else even comes close. If anyone else tries it, and applies the first coat according to the exact instructions, they will also experience the cleanest, smoothest running chain they have ever had on a bike. Rain can't touch this stuff, nor snow, nor mag/chloride, sand, etc. It's awesome.

Squirt works well, is easy to use, but washes off when it gets wet. (It's water soluable, after all)

Pro Gold is another really great lube that I use regularly.

Of course, everyone has their own version of "lube nirvana", so that's all good.

Until I see better results than DuMonde Tech though, I am saying it is the best.

mtbr member
    Ted,
    I've never heard of the stuff but your recommendation sounds interesting. How do I get hold of the stuff? I'd like to try it. I don't recall seeing it in any bike shops but I may be wrong.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Ted,
    I've never heard of the stuff but your recommendation sounds interesting. How do I get hold of the stuff? I'd like to try it. I don't recall seeing it in any bike shops but I may be wrong.

Ronnie.

backcountry has 4oz bottles.
    http://www.backcountry.com/store/DMD...brication.html
    09 Superfly

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I think the issue is not only have they misspelled the term "brake horsepower". They don't appear to understand what it means.
    They made the claim "Increased break horse power" with a chain lube. Brake horsepower is power measured right at the power source, engine crankshaft, riders legs, etc. Lubricant applied to a drivetrain component will never increase brake horsepower. It might increase effective horsepower, although chain lubes mainly reduce wear and don't have a great effect on friction losses.

Still might be a great lube.

Flaccid Member
    More cost effective to just buy a new HG 53 Shimano chain on sale than buy a bottle of chain lube.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Dumond Tech (lite) for dry conditions.

mtbr member
    if it's really that awesome then you would post a link. do you want us to know about the lube or do you want us to go read your review???

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here's the link for you lazies. "Squirt" Chain Lube.

mtbr member
    DuMonde Tech is absatively the most awesomest chainiest lubiest thingy evah.
    That's some marketing language for y'all there.
    Try it- you will NOT be disappointed. I've used it for 15-plus years from MI to AZ to NC conditions (with a lot of CO, BC, UT mixed in) for (I think) tens of thousands of miles. I've tried others (Pro-Link, Finish Line, Pedro's, Tri-Flow, etc) and I've always come back. Stopped expirementing (finally) about 3 years ago.

And yes, I love paranthetical notations.

Elitest thrill junkie
    +1 for Dumonde Tech.

When we had the rep in the store back in the day, he said that it was a polymer-based lube suspended in a solution that also provided lubrication. It is essentially halfway between a "dry" wax lube and a "wet" oil based lube. I tried the regular stuff back in the day and wasn't overly impressed, it seemed to pick up a lot of gunk.

But I've been using the "lite" version for a long time and it's the best thing I've found. You don't have to deal with the "apply 4hrs in advance" problem of dry lubes, and it doesn't pick up gunk like wet stuff. Can't see using anything else, and I've tried lots.

On the other hand, if you're riding during T-storms/flash floods in rainforests or our sandy deserts, nothing is better than having a mini-bottle of some goopy wet-lube on hand.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

all about the all about
    Dumond Tech stinks! I mean it works great, just really stinks up my shop... apply outdoors whenever possible.
    Last edited by Om Flyer; 04-10-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    .. If I see this bike on display with those GT bars, I am bringing my hacksaw!!

Reviewer/Tester

Replies...

There are several points I want to touch on here about various lubes, including Squirt.

Firstly... Squirt lube is bio-degradeable. It doesn't pollute our great outdoors. Most other lubes *do* pollute the enviroment.

Degreasing: With Squirt lube, you never have to degrease your bike chains again.

I'll repeat that for you all....

NO More Degreasing of Chains.

Is that not a really good thing?

Yes...it is.

Squirt is a "friendly" water-based lube that lasts a long time between applications. It's cheap, easy to apply, and keeps your chain bright, clean, quiet and smooth.
    Ive used and tested other lubes over the years, and this Squirt lube is better.
    Now it does have one downside... Because it is water based, it has to be re-applied after every *wet* ride. However, re-application is simple, easy and fast. Apply, give it ten minutes to dry out. Done.
    If your chain is super-muddy after a really bad ride through deep mud, then just wipe the excess mud off, re-apply the Squirt, and the bike is ready for it's next ride. No hassles, no drama, and NO degreasing needed.

Squirt works best when applied to a dry chain. Since I started testing this lube, I have not degreased or cleaned the original Shimano chain once in five months of regular almost every day riding. Not once.
    My original chain still looks and feels like new.

All I can say is... try this lube for yourself. If it works as good for you as it does for me, then stick with it. If you don't like it, go back to whatever you were using before. What do you have to lose? It's cheap, and works great.

Rainman.

[PS: As always, I have no affiliations with the company, nor gain anything from them by testing the product.]
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    So does this lube work for 26ers too, or is it a 29er-only thing?

Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted

Whatever, it is the best lube for bicycles (look under their cycling products) that I have ever used. I don't care about "break" horsepower either, but it works. Nothing else even comes close. If anyone else tries it, and applies the first coat according to the exact instructions, they will also experience the cleanest, smoothest running chain they have ever had on a bike. Rain can't touch this stuff, nor snow, nor mag/chloride, sand, etc. It's awesome.

Squirt works well, is easy to use, but washes off when it gets wet. (It's water soluable, after all)

Pro Gold is another really great lube that I use regularly.

Of course, everyone has their own version of "lube nirvana", so that's all good.

Until I see better results than DuMonde Tech though, I am saying it is the best.
    ...AND.... IT SMELLS GREAT !!!
    ...got chuck to join my Rock Racing SS team....

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungerNow
    So does this lube work for 26ers too, or is it a 29er-only thing?
    Do 69ers benefit from good lube?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dog.gone
    Do 69ers benefit from good lube?
    If you have to ask...

mtbr member
    Does this attract alot of sand? That is the thing I have about demond tech.