mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Spot Mayhem vs Yeti sb 4.5

Hey guys, I’ve been looking for the “perfect” 29’er trail bike for a while now. Having recently moved to Northern California I find many of the rides here are relatively smooth and flowey with lots of climbing. Yesterday, my “short” ride at Skegg’s clocked in a little over 4k of climbing according to Strava. My 2012 Stumpy FSR 29er has been a faithful steed for many years, but I think the time has come for a new ride. After lots of research I’ve narrowed things down to 3 bikes: Yeti SB4.5, Ibis Ripley LS and the Spot Mayhem in 29’er mode. I have demoed the Ibis and the Yeti, and I preferred the Yeti (but it’s so hard to say, it could have just been the day). I’m trying to figure out how to demo the Mayhem, but in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone out there has experience riding the Mayhem and the SB4.5. It seems the Spot frame is a couple pounds heavier than the Yeti, but everything I have read about the bike seem to suggest it’s magical. Climbs well and depends well. There are some other things I like about the Mayhem as well, like the ability to have a water bottle cage in the triangle, external brake routing and fully housed internal routing for the rear mech and dropper post. Obviously, the Mayhem has a bit more rear travel (130mm vs the YEti’s 112mm). I try to get to Moab once or twice a year, and I do ride the Tahoe and Auburn areas so trail conditions vary. It seems there are local dealers for both bikes, but I like the fact that I could order the Spot online and just have it shipped to me. I'm looking for the 1 bike quiver killer, and as you can see I tend to hold on to my bikes for many many years. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'd be surprised if the frame was 2lbs heavier. I would guess less than 1lb heavier and closer to 0.5lbs.

mtbr member
    Where did you see the Mayhem frame is 2 lbs heavier than the Yeti? I highly doubt that, especially given you can get their 4 or 5-start build down around 28 lbs.

FWIW, Spot is having a pretty sweet Black Friday sale through their website right now...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I read that a large Mayhem weighs a little over 7 lbs and a large sb4.5 turq comes in at 5.25 lbs.
    I am aware of the sale currently on at Spot. It’s killing me because I would have to buy the bike site unseen, without having demoed it. Tempting. Risky.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I don't have any feedback on the bikes you're looking at... but I pulled the trigger last week when I saw their sale on the 6-star build Mayhem, sight unseen as well. Bike checks off all the boxes of what I was looking for (same as you it sounds like). I was set on an Evil the Following MB that I demo'd and loved, and the Mayhem sounded very similar but a better climbing bike which really appeals to me (and I think it's kinda cool that I'll probably never see another Mayhem on the trails). I think the thing that kinda convinced me was that push comes to shove if I really don't get on with the bike I'll strip the top level parts off I got at a good price and buy an Evil frame and swap the parts onto it and sell the Mayhem frame... Probably still come out ahead of paying full retail for a similar specced bike elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by drew777 View Post
    I read that a large Mayhem weighs a little over 7 lbs and a large sb4.5 turq comes in at 5.25 lbs.
    I am aware of the sale currently on at Spot. It’s killing me because I would have to buy the bike site unseen, without having demoed it. Tempting. Risky.
    What size are you looking for? I have an XL and if you want to try it I ride in Wilders or Demo all the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigZeee View Post
    What size are you looking for? I have an XL and if you want to try it I ride in Wilders or Demo all the time.
    XL would be what I am looking for. I’m 6’5, 195 ish. How do you like the bike? Wondering if I should pull the trigger before the sale ends this weekend. Would love to meet up if you’ve got the time, but probably can’t happen before the Black Friday sale ends.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    XL would be what I am looking for. I’m 6’5, 195 ish. How do you like the bike? Wondering if I should pull the trigger before the sale ends this weekend. Would love to meet up if you’ve got the time, but probably can’t happen before the Black Friday sale ends.

When does the sale end? If you want we can meet tomorrow at Wilders Ranch.

I am 6’3. I like the bike very much. I bought it to complement my SC High Tower as a “light trail” bike but it turns out it has an amazing range. Climbs very well and descents very well too. I have it set up with 140mm fork.

One thing to watch at your height is that it is a relatively short bike ETT wise. I run it with 60mm stem and it feels a little bit shorter than HT with 50mm. Reach is pretty long so no problem when climbing standing.

Very good support. Paul from Spot answered all my questions very promptly when I was building the bike - I only bought the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    similar bikes in many ways - but i would personally go Mayhem allllllll day... their carbon layup is as good if not better than anything out there and the bikes are soooo versatile. Wont find a better peddling bike that can really nail the descents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    FWIW, I'm 6'4" and did a multi day demo of the Spot Mayhem. It is a great bike, and the living link suspension is the real deal. But I couldn't get along with the super-steep seat tube and short effective tube top. It was way, way too cramped for my liking. I also demo'd the Yeti 4.5, which also felt too cramped. Ended up ordering a XXL Hightower. Everything else just feels too small in comparison.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have had a Spot Mayhem since April. I ran into a rider last week who had his for 2 months. He had an XL. He couldn't stop praising it.

A friend, who is a pro level rider, rode one in Moab. He ranks its as a top 3 bike for him of all time. He said he immediately felt at home on it with no adjustment period. And he can ride anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bogeydog; 11-27-2017 at 11:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I have had kine since April. I ran into a rider last week who had his for 2 months. He had an XL. He couldn't stop praising it.

A friend, who is a pro level rider, rode one in Moab. He ranks its as a top 3 bike for him of all time. He said he immediately felt at home on it with no adjustment period. And he can ride anything.

You're referring to the Mayhem, correct?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    You're referring to the Mayhem, correct?
    Yes

mtbr member
    Dude just buy the Mayhem you wont be disappointed that deal is making me think about buying a Rollik....the 4 star build is almost what I spent on my Mayhem frame...lol

BTW only 16 hours left on the sale.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw