Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @2whlfun
    Aug 2008

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

https://spotbrand.com

Made for steep ups and downs. 130 rear travel. 27.5+ (2.8) compatibility. WANT!
    2017 SPOT Brand MAYHEM (incoming) 2016 Spot rollik557, 2016 SPOT Brand Zephyr Adventure Bike 55c, Heller 27.7+

Cassoulet forever !
    looks very nice.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Elitest thrill junkie
    Interesting. One of their other frames appears to have a lot of anti-squat, well over 100%, possibly to the point of being harsh under power/over bumps. Would be interesting to see how it works out.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I demoed it again this week with a Fox 36 set at 140. I am sold. Its the first bike I have ridden that I don't want to F with the shock either going up or down. Going with the 36 upgrade option obviously on the 5 star build. We're working on figuring out a wider wheel set for me since this will be replacing my 27.5 long travel enduro rig. I'm sure being local helps but I have never dealt with a more personalized and accommodating company.
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I need to find the time to drive by and ride one. I was really impressed with the way the Rollik climbed when I rode that bike last summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dmo
    mtbr member
    Im tempted to order one but with no way of demoing one im reluctant. Waiting to hear more about other peoples experiences

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Over $6K, F*ck off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Not sure why all of the reactions to the price. Right there with every other bike and build. Less than Yeti.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Help I've Fallen

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2016 Canfield Bros EPO
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower
    2013 Niner S.I.R. 9 SS

dmo
    mtbr member
    Price is not much different from other premium brands. Price for frame is 3200, not too different from others. Big question is do you want to be an early adopter or not?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Short reach/TT on the medium, and too much seat tube/stack on the large. Old geometry kills this one for me. Too bad, because the suspension design is intriguing.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

I'm 5'11" and rode the Rollik and felt like the fit was great. Climbed like a goat. I'm not sure how the geo numbers vary between those two Spot bikes.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mwthomsen; 04-23-2017 at 10:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Short reach/TT on the medium, and too much seat tube/stack on the large. Old geometry kills this one for me. Too bad, because the suspension design is intriguing.
    Old geometry? An almost 76* eSTA is old geometry? Can you cite another bike w/ that number? And keep in mind 66.7* HTA is w/ a 34 at 130, IIRC. A 36 at 140...?...66*?

Not being snarky, I'm shopping for a lighter duty trail bike than a heavier hitting built Hightower.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Old geometry? An almost 76* eSTA is old geometry? Can you cite another bike w/ that number? And keep in mind 66.7* HTA is w/ a 34 at 130, IIRC. A 36 at 140...?...66*?

Not being snarky, I'm shopping for a lighter duty trail bike than a heavier hitting built Hightower.
    Exactly what i was thinking

mtbr member
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Pau11y again.

I was confused also but I'm confused frequently.

mtbr member

Yes, the Pole Evolink 140 or 110
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Yes, the Pole Evolink 140 or 110
    Okay, this bike the epitome of, "if a little is good, let's go nuts!" ~78* STA and 64* HTA?
    So, when I threw a leg over the Mayhem, at 76* STA my knee is juuuuust at the right position over the pedal axle. Any steeper and I'd be over and ahead of the axle.

And the weight seems reason able for an aluminum at ~30lbs for a 29er. Thus, how's the flex? The Canfield Bros Riot is pretty solid, but it's also quite portly.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Okay, this bike the epitome of, "if a little is good, let's go nuts!" ~78* STA and 64* HTA?
    So, when I threw a leg over the Mayhem, at 76* STA my knee is juuuuust at the right position over the pedal axle. Any steeper and I'd be over and ahead of the axle.

And the weight seems reason able for an aluminum at ~30lbs for a 29er. Thus, how's the flex? The Canfield Bros Riot is pretty solid, but it's also quite portly.
    I built mine at 27 lbs.

If I add a dropper it's 28 and change. Very competitive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Any ride reports?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The Mayhem has a 73.9 STA, which is OK, but a 585mm TT, and 429 reach in medium. 585mm is from the 90's for medium, and the larges seat tube is 483mm, which is too long for me to size up. I want more reach than that in a medium.

Unlike almost everyone else, I have actually owned a forward geometry bike, a Mondraker Vantage. My medium had a 635mm TT, 461mm reach, 420mm seat tube, 74 STA, 67 HTA, and came with a 30mm stem. This is a HT, so there is no rear sag to slack the STA. When your climbing on a FS, the rear sags, while the fork does not. The Vantage felt perfectly normal.

mtbr member
    It's funny. Everyone that has ridden a long bike (that I can tell from reading these posts) has nothing but good things to say about them, myself included.

I'm still searching for the one person that really hated them.

The only negative I have ever read is that people prefer "throwing" around the smaller bikes, but they still enjoyed riding the longer ones.

I would never go back to purchasing a shorter bike, or one with a slacker seat angle.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

MTB B'dos
    All depends on what you call "long" relative to the person Me, myself, I am not short, just over 6'2" and unless I was ripping only downs, then maybe riding a bike with a 500mm reach and 30mm stem might be good, but for me, for a nice bike that will pedal all around, up, down, rolling, nicely, I quite like my 478mm Reach with 50mm stem and 800mm bar. Can't stretch out any further, just not that flexible as I used to be and it's as nimble as I want in slow stuff and stable as hell on fast stuff without me needing to do any funky weight shifting to keep the front weighted. As to that crazy STA and HTA, yeah, no, not for me.

I think a lot do it for the sake of the cool factor and it's trendiness.

It's funny. Everyone that has ridden a long bike (that I can tell from reading these posts) has nothing but good things to say about them, myself included. I'm still searching for the one person that really hated them.

The only negative I have ever read is that people prefer "throwing" around the smaller bikes, but they still enjoyed riding the longer ones.

I would never go back to purchasing a shorter bike, or one with a slacker seat angle.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    ... As to that crazy STA and HTA, yeah, no, not for me.

Cool factor? Trendiness? Those aren't my motivators. I do it for places like Moab and for my home turf with ~8 mile, 4000' loss, high speed descents. But you're stuck on some island, aren't you LyNx?
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

MTB B'dos
    I am on an island, yup, no 8 mile descents, but when I was in CO last year, I never felt or wanted for any of that stuff on the long descents, not once and I was on my 450mm Reach/70mm stem/785mm bar bike. But then again, my bike also only had 105mm of rear travel/130mm front, I like to have to actually ride my bikes, feel the trail, not just sit ontop of some machine gaining top speed Also my 24-36 low gear was plenty easy enough for me on those super long climbs at 9k+ altitude I'm not accustomed to, so you know, don't think we're very similar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Cool factor? Trendiness? Those aren't my motivators. I do it for places like Moab and for my home turf with ~8 mile, 4000' loss, high speed descents. But you're stuck on some island, aren't you LyNx?
    =s

mtbr member
    All depends on what you call "long" relative to the person Me, myself, I am not short, just over 6'2" and unless I was ripping only downs, then maybe riding a bike with a 500mm reach and 30mm stem might be good, but for me, for a nice bike that will pedal all around, up, down, rolling, nicely, I quite like my 478mm Reach with 50mm stem and 800mm bar. Can't stretch out any further, just not that flexible as I used to be and it's as nimble as I want in slow stuff and stable as hell on fast stuff without me needing to do any funky weight shifting to keep the front weighted. As to that crazy STA and HTA, yeah, no, not for me.

First off, I could care less about "cool factor".

The thing is, these angles do not stretch you out anymore than any other bike due to the steep seat angle.

I'm 5' 9", and 46 years old. Trust me, I need all the comfort I can get.

My Pole is a medium with 480 mm reach and a 50 mm stem.

I feel more stretched out on my Large Norco Revolver with a 460 mm reach and a 40 mm stem.

I also feel more comfortable on the long climbs on the Pole. Look at my ride review in the 29er Forum. I'm only 2 minutes slower on the Pole than the Norco over 14 miles. I attribute that to the 5 pound difference in bike weight. The Pole is by no means a XC race bike, but it is an all day, comfortable trail bike.
    by Silentfoe

meatier showers
    ... so you know, don't think we're very similar
    A certainty we can both raise a glass to.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

MTB B'dos
    You can like what you want all you like and you may not be riding that geo because of it's "cool" factor, but lots jump on such band wagons all the time and if it were really so fantastic, why haven't all the other manufacturers jumped on board already

As to age, I'm 47 going on 48, and I too have beat this body up pretty good, but good geo takes good care of me and some suspension when speeds get high. You obviously don't give yourself enough credit for how flexible you are, because you're 5"> shorter than me and saying you can ride the same cockpit setup I do Just because you're comfortable with that stupid steep STA, does not mean everyone will be, I run my saddle so my knee is "X" distance behind the BB, with that angle I'd need a 2" offset post, minimum.

First off, I could care less about "cool factor". The thing is, these angles do not stretch you out anymore than any other bike due to the steep seat angle. I'm 5' 9", and 46 years old. Trust me, I need all the comfort I can get........ The Pole is by no means a XC race bike, but it is an all day, comfortable trail bike.

mtbr member
    You can like what you want all you like and you may not be riding that geo because of it's "cool" factor, but lots jump on such band wagons all the time and if it were really so fantastic, why haven't all the other manufacturers jumped on board already

As to age, I'm 47 going on 48, and I too have beat this body up pretty good, but good geo takes good care of me and some suspension when speeds get high. You obviously don't give yourself enough credit for how flexible you are, because you're 5"> shorter than me and saying you can ride the same cockpit setup I do Just because you're comfortable with that stupid steep STA, does not mean everyone will be, I run my saddle so my knee is "X" distance behind the BB, with that angle I'd need a 2" offset post, minimum.
    Being open to Change and Experimentation is hard. Harder for some obviously.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    This is VERY true!
    I'm the same age as LyNx, and I'm chompin' at the bit looking forward to a 29er DH bike, and I have a buddy who won't even leave a 26" trail bike, at the ripe ol' age of 37! HAH!

So, about the Pole...aluminum bikes that light...how's the flex? I didn't see anyone addressing that...or maybe it's old age and I just can't see! HAH!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Can't believe that we do t have a detailed ride report yet

MTB B'dos
    If by that you mean I don't try new stuff, Whatever, guess I didn't try the Phantom first with a straight post and find it sucked and hence moved to a setback post because I have long legs, like to be behind the BB by about 2cm and nothing anyone tells me is going to change what feels good to me or hat I like. As to the Reach, I can only bend over so far, with even a 480mm reach and the saddle where I like it relative to the BB, I would need a 40mm stem and for a trail bike, if I went according to the sizing that the manufacturer states, they'd have me on a 500mm> Reach and that would mean I'd need to run a zero stem about and that's just plain insane.

But I guess some people can't handle other people having a different opinion or philosophy to them

mtbr member
    This is VERY true!
    I'm the same age as LyNx, and I'm chompin' at the bit looking forward to a 29er DH bike, and I have a buddy who won't even leave a 26" trail bike, at the ripe ol' age of 37! HAH!

So, about the Pole...aluminum bikes that light...how's the flex? I didn't see anyone addressing that...or maybe it's old age and I just can't see! HAH!
    Haven't noticed any flex on the bike.

mtbr member
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pole-e...40-review.html

New Geometry rules. Because Pinkbike says so.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    WHY are we arguing this here? I want to know about the Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    WHY are we arguing this here? I want to know about the Mayhem.
    Why? Because the Mayhem has old school geometry from the 90s.

It's irrelevant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Why do you care? Just move on and don't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Why do you care? Just move on and don't worry about it.

Why do you care that I care. Please move on yourself, and dont forget to neg rep me because you are so butt hurt.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I rode my Mayhem in the Grand Junction off road last weekend. I have never had so much fun. It is great never having to lock out the rear shock like every other bike I have owned. Im running a MRP Ribbon on front set at 140. The bike handled everything on this course with no issues. I was worried about the steep seat tube when I rode the demo but after a few minutes I was sold. I am 5'9" on medium frame.

meatier showers
    But I guess some people can't handle other people having a different opinion or philosophy to them
    I looked "irony" up in the online dictionary. Found a link to this statement for the example.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gryeti View Post
    I rode my Mayhem in the Grand Junction off road last weekend. I have never had so much fun. It is great never having to lock out the rear shock like every other bike I have owned. Im running a MRP Ribbon on front set at 140. The bike handled everything on this course with no issues. I was worried about the steep seat tube when I rode the demo but after a few minutes I was sold. I am 5'9" on medium frame.
    Howd you like it with the ribbon at 140? Did you tey 130 or 150mm?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Mine should arrive in a few weeks.

A friend of mine road the Mayhem in Colorado at the end of April. He is a very accomplished Rider who has worked for many bike manufacturers in the country. His response to me was the bike is a 9 out of 10. He said never before had he gotten on a mountain bike and felt like it was his so quickly. As well he said it was the most small bump compliant bike he has ever ridden.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    The demo I rode had a Fox 34 set at 130 and I felt like it was maybe not enough fork for my bad riding style in the rocks. The Ribbon at 140 is primo for me. I did not have any problems climbing up the steeps at 140. I have not tried it at 150 yet however I plan to.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    What length stem and bars do you have?

mtbr member
    Why do you care that I care. Please move on yourself, and dont forget to neg rep me because you are so butt hurt.
    Well, speaking from the perspective of a person shopping for a new bike, and gauging from how YOU have been spouting off as an advocate for Pole bikes, I will NEVER buy a Pole. Congrats, you just lost a start-up a sale. While one person might be insignificant, how many do you think saw your verbal diarrhea and will do the same as myself and walk away from Pole, because of YOU? Good job! I'm sure Pole appreciates your attitude!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    What length stem and bars do you have?
    I am running 760 bars w/ a 50mm stem.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Anxious to hear more reports. Considering replacing my mojo3 with a mayhem but not ready to commit yet

MTB B'dos
    Really, I didn't get a royalty cheque And for the record, I have no problem with anyone else having a different opinion or liking riding something different than me, but when they spout it off like it's the only way and I MUST comply or be shunned, that I don't take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I looked "irony" up in the online dictionary. Found a link to this statement for the example.
    =s

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Anxious to hear more reports. Considering replacing my mojo3 with a mayhem but not ready to commit yet

I love my M3 but am getting a Mayhem too.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I love my M3 but am getting a Mayhem too.

Any reason why? Or how do you see the mayhem being different than the M3?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Any reason why? Or how do you see the mayhem being different than the M3?

My reason is counter to what you may expect. I am 5-2. The M3, even with a 30mm stem is slightly long in the cabin. I had a 2016 Trek Fuel EX 9.9 which I found an excellent fit. It's cabin was shorter than M3 and more similar to Mayhem. Thus one reason is to the probable fit. The other is I am intrigued by the suspension. Plus I like new exciting game stuff.

However the M3 is awesome. After dialing in the suspension via Shockwiz and getting tires right (Rocket Ron 2.8 and 2.6 with 13.5f and 14.5 rear), it has performed flawlessly in all situations. Will the Mayhem fit better and perform as well or better? Not sure, but I want to try.

dmo
    mtbr member
    My reason is counter to what you may expect. I am 5-2. The M3, even with a 30mm stem is slightly long in the cabin. I had a 2016 Trek Fuel EX 9.9 which I found an excellent fit. It's cabin was shorter than M3 and more similar to Mayhem. Thus one reason is to the probable fit. The other is I am intrigued by the suspension. Plus I like new exciting game stuff.

However the M3 is awesome. After dialing in the suspension via Shockwiz and getting tires right (Rocket Ron 2.8 and 2.6 with 13.5f and 14.5 rear), it has performed flawlessly in all situations. Will the Mayhem fit better and perform as well or better? Not sure, but I want to try.

Interesting.

Im 5'6" and have fit issues with the M3 (size med) as well. I use a 40mm stem and 40mm riser and find the front end to be real low. Im not sure if its the bike but i have a much harder time wheeling and manualing the M3 vs other bikes (my sb95 for instance). Im planning on putting a Mrp ribbon on it which will raise the front 7mm. I may try setring the fork to 150mm as well.

Let me know when youve spent time on the Mayhem and how you find it compares to the M3.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Interesting.

Im 5'6" and have fit issues with the M3 (size med) as well. I use a 40mm stem and 40mm riser and find the front end to be real low. Im not sure if its the bike but i have a much harder time wheeling and manualing the M3 vs other bikes (my sb95 for instance). Im planning on putting a Mrp ribbon on it which will raise the front 7mm. I may try setring the fork to 150mm as well.

Let me know when youve spent time on the Mayhem and how you find it compares to the M3.

I am setting up as a 27.5+. The stock builds use a Fox 34 130mm 29er fork. When setup as 27.5+ they recommend a lower headset spacer. So I just got a 140mm 29er fork. If I use 29 wheels, it will just be a little more aggressive.

The M3 does have a low stack for sure.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I am setting up as a 27.5+. The stock builds use a Fox 34 130mm 29er fork. When setup as 27.5+ they recommend a lower headset spacer. So I just got a 140mm 29er fork. If I use 29 wheels, it will just be a little more aggressive.

The M3 does have a low stack for sure.

I ran mine today with 27.5+ and no headset spacer. 140mm fork. I had a couple pedal strikes but nothing bad at all for the rocky terrain I was riding. I think you will like it very much. The bike rides very well with both wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I ran mine today with 27.5+ and no headset spacer. 140mm fork. I had a couple pedal strikes but nothing bad at all for the rocky terrain I was riding. I think you will like it very much. The bike rides very well with both wheel sizes.
    By my calculations, BB height will be higher than my M3. I run 170mm cranks too.

mtbr member
    Well, speaking from the perspective of a person shopping for a new bike, and gauging from how YOU have been spouting off as an advocate for Pole bikes, I will NEVER buy a Pole. Congrats, you just lost a start-up a sale. While one person might be insignificant, how many do you think saw your verbal diarrhea and will do the same as myself and walk away from Pole, because of YOU? Good job! I'm sure Pole appreciates your attitude!
    It's ok - they'll survive. They probably could care less about the US market. How many Poles are in North America anyway - 4? Europe is a big place.
    by Silentfoe

connisseur
    You should layoff the long bike koolaid, try and wean yourself off slowly for best results. Your build on that bike is uber light for 9lb frame doubt 3lbs at the frame is gonna make that much diff, so maybe the 2 min diff was due to the mini DH bike geometry? That frame is gravity oriented plain and simple not sure why folks want to make it into something it's not, the geometry is not *right* while somehow the Mayhem's geo(which sounds perfect btw) is *wrong*.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    You should layoff the long bike koolaid, try and wean yourself off slowly for best results. Your build on that bike is uber light for 9lb frame doubt 3lbs at the frame is gonna make that much diff, so maybe the 2 min diff was due to the mini DH bike geometry? That frame is gravity oriented plain and simple not sure why folks want to make it into something it's not, the geometry is not *right* while somehow the Mayhem's geo(which sounds perfect btw) is *wrong*.
    English please.

You might want to go back to school and learn how to write so people can understand you.

Why would I need to build it burly for XC trails? Who cares how light it is. All the parts on it are legit (Industry Nine, Niner, Race Face, Sram). What are you jealous?

Even MTBR review of the Mayhem stated the cockpit on the Rollik (that was ridden for comparison purposes) felt tight. And that the Mayhem felt similar. Don't shoot the messenger.

The Mayhem might be a great bike, but the geometry is nothing new. Maybe some people like short bikes. I prefer longer ones.

And, BTW, my Evolink is the 110 version, not the 140. Clearly it is not made for DH.

Now go back to your parent's basement.
    by Silentfoe

connisseur
    Guess my koolaid comment hit a nerve, dude my English was fine. If you want to pedal around a heavy frame with DH geometry go for it not jealous of your bike

The Mayhem seems more new school hardly old school or irrelevant tho, your just wrong there.

mtbr member
    27 lbs. Heavy? ok.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rollik owner here gonna chime in a wee bit about the "stupid" STA... for a ling reach number, the STA does position you different - more centered and a bit closer - don't know I'd call it tight???

The geo works plain and simple - but let's all agree - diff strokes for diff folks. The Rollick is far and away the best bike ive ridden and owned - and I demoed a LOT of the leading - favorite all mt, trail, enduro sleds - want a do it all balanced bike that climbs as good as any 140 rr travel bike should, can dance and be nimble or plow going down? yep - it works just that way - however you really want to ride it.

The Mayhem looks to be pretty sick and the Spot guys are absolute rippers on both of these bikes. Haven't ridden a Mayhem - but if anything like the Rollick - theres likely not a chink in the armor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a new Mayhem and have been waiting to chime in until I have put in some solid rides on it.

Background - I have a serious bike problem - and in the past few years have owned - S-works 29er Stumpy, Tallboy, Ibis and a SPOT Rollik. I bought the Rollik because I demoed it and the position was just so natural and it climbed better than any other bike I had been on before. The best part is with the Living Link you can leave the suspension full open, you never have to switch it around for climbing descending.

The Mayhem has a very similar feel to the Rollik. Mine is setup pretty close to stock with 130 front/rear. It feels a lot more than 130 on the way down. It also has the same great position where you feel like you are in the cockpit. Like Kamper11 said above - "more centered"

I love this bike and am done buying new bikes for a while. Do yourself a favor and find one to demo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chpfly View Post
    I have a new Mayhem and have been waiting to chime in until I have put in some solid rides on it.

Background - I have a serious bike problem - and in the past few years have owned - S-works 29er Stumpy, Tallboy, Ibis and a SPOT Rollik. I bought the Rollik because I demoed it and the position was just so natural and it climbed better than any other bike I had been on before. The best part is with the Living Link you can leave the suspension full open, you never have to switch it around for climbing descending.

The Mayhem has a very similar feel to the Rollik. Mine is setup pretty close to stock with 130 front/rear. It feels a lot more than 130 on the way down. It also has the same great position where you feel like you are in the cockpit. Like Kamper11 said above - "more centered"

I love this bike and am done buying new bikes for a while. Do yourself a favor and find one to demo.
    Tell us more. Mine coming next week.

dmo
    mtbr member

What wheels tires is yours setup with?
    What size frame are you on and how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    OHHHHH MANNNNN - now i feel truly compelled to go and demo the Mayhem...

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    I demoed it again this week with a Fox 36 set at 140. I am sold. Its the first bike I have ridden that I don't want to F with the shock either going up or down. Going with the 36 upgrade option obviously on the 5 star build. We're working on figuring out a wider wheel set for me since this will be replacing my 27.5 long travel enduro rig. I'm sure being local helps but I have never dealt with a more personalized and accommodating company.
    It's not just being local. I purchased a Spot Rocker earlier this year from California and they were great.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Build your own
    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-nextie-38-asymm.jpg
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Build your own
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nextie 38 Asymm.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	1139815
    Nice. I'm way too much of a hack to ride plastic rims. I seem to square up on every rock out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice. I'm way too much of a hack to ride plastic rims. I seem to square up on every rock out there.

I have a 2016 fuel ex 9.9 now and love it, I'm going large Mayham at 5'10. Selling a few bikes now to make room. Can't wait !! I'm going 140 pike on the front. I always buy frame only and build exactly what I want!

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    I have a 2016 fuel ex 9.9 now and love it, I'm going large Mayham at 5'10. Selling a few bikes now to make room. Can't wait !! I'm going 140 pike on the front. I always buy frame only and build exactly what I want!
    At 5-10 curious why Large? Did you demo?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    SB5c X0
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    ASRc (ret)
    SB95c (ret)
    SB95a (reti)

mtbr member
    I'm a mm or two below 5-10 with about a 31" inseam and getting a large also. It's the size I demoed. I can fit a 150 dropper on it and it never felt too large on me. I'm going short stem style.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm a mm or two below 5-10 with about a 31" inseam and getting a large also. It's the size I demoed. I can fit a 150 dropper on it and it never felt too large on me. I'm going short stem style.
    I like bike's that are very stable at speed and I have long upper body with 31 inseam. I will run a 35mm stem with wide bars, Enve 800mm bar. It's very important for me to be able to climb out of the saddle And not be to cramped when doing so. Large will be just right! I know this bike won't be as light as my Fuel EX 9.9 at 23.96 pounds with pedals and dropper. I truly believe the key to a great bike is light wheels and lite crank. I have a tendency to break carbon frames and the guys at spot assured me the Mayham is strong in all the right areas .

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I guess I didn't put in all my details -

I have mine setup pretty close to stock - 6 star build in a 29.

I am on a Large and am 6ft tall. I have a 55mm Stem and 760mm 20 mm rise bars on mine. I am currently running it with zero spacers under the stem. I run a 77cm from the center of the BB to my saddle and a 150mm dropper gives me room to move the saddle up or down from 77cm.

I have had a few more rides on the MAYHEM and I have loaned it out twice to people - they both now own a MAYEHM, it really is that good.

I love that you could put some light weight race tires on it and have a sweet XC setup and then change out tires and have a killer AM trail bike.

What wheels tires is yours setup with?
    What size frame are you on and how tall are you?

Dab-O-Matic
    I have had a few more rides on the MAYHEM and I have loaned it out twice to people - they both now own a MAYEHM, it really is that good.

I love that you could put some light weight race tires on it and have a sweet XC setup and then change out tires and have a killer AM trail bike.
    May I ask where you are buying and what are you paying?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    SB5c X0
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    ASRc (ret)
    SB95c (ret)
    SB95a (reti)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I purchased directly from the SPOT website - it was very straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    May I ask where you are buying and what are you paying?

mtbr member
    I just ordered mine through Ethan at Maverick Suspension/Flow Zone and will be using a fox36 at140mm with an X2 on the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    I just ordered mine through Ethan at Maverick Suspension/Flow Zone and will be using a fox36 at140mm with an X2 on the rear.
    Have E do the 150 w/ the MRP volume adjust thingie which will bring it down to 140! When I visited w/ Andy at Spot, he said that's the magic setup...so supple on the small bumps because the neg-air chamber is slightly over charged!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Have E do the 150 w/ the MRP volume adjust thingie which will bring it down to 140! When I visited w/ Andy at Spot, he said that's the magic setup...so supple on the small bumps because the neg-air chamber is slightly over charged!
    Yes He mentioned that to me so I will install and try when I open the fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hoping my black small ships any day.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Hoping my black small ships any day.

How tall are you? If it doesnt fit ill take it from you

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    5-2

mtbr member

I'm always the last to hear these things. What exactly is the mrp thing supposed to do? I didn't think you could improve on a 36.

mtbr member
    I'm always the last to hear these things. What exactly is the mrp thing supposed to do? I didn't think you could improve on a 36.
    Separates positive and negative air chambers so they can be pressurized individually and ramp control instead of volume spacers.

Shop Online — MRP

MRP Ramp Fox 36

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    Separates positive and negative air chambers so they can be pressurized individually and ramp control instead of volume spacers.

Shop Online — MRP

MRP Ramp Fox 36
    I have a new one (never used) for sale if your looking

mtbr member
    Do you have the complete kit or just the FulFill. How much?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The Mayhem has a very similar feel to the Rollik.
    Can you elaborate on that a bit more? How do they compare in terms of cornering and playfulness? Does the 29" wheels add that much more "rollover" over the 27.5" (with more travel) without sacrificing anything?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I rode the Mayhem in a 29er yesterday at Apex here in Golden, Co. Conditions are really dry and dusty here and Apex has its share of rocks if you aren't familiar with the trail. First off the guys at Spot are really good guys and easy to talk to. I was all set to buy a Yeti 4.5 and have ridden the 4.5, 5, and 5.5, but figured I should hold off until giving the Mayhem a ride. The Mayhem is good, climbs really well and was a fun ride. The bike I rode was a large 5 star stock build. I'm 5'11" 32" inseam. The bike fit feels a little different then some of the other bikes I've ridden, but after a couple minutes in the saddle it felt normal and I never thought about it again. The spot is stable at speed and rolls over stuff like you would expect a modern 29er. I am not the best at manualling a bike but the Mayhem is easy enough to lift the front tire during drops or to help carry speed through rocky sections. I will ride the yeti 4.5 next week on the same trail to make a decision which way I'm going, which I think is a pretty strong statement on how good the Mayhem rides.

mtbr member

Picked mine up today and changed out the wheelset, stem and bars. Going for the inaugural ride at Chimpex in the morning. Hope it rides as well as it looks. Got the new graphics on the 36.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012

Picked mine up today and changed out the wheelset, stem and bars. Going for the inaugural ride at Chimpex in the morning. Hope it rides as well as it looks. Got the new graphics on the 36.

That is a beauty! You are going to love it. Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I demoed one a couple weeks back and was blown away. Ended up selling my Rollik (already miss it) and pulled the trigger on a 6-star Mayhem with the Fox36 upgrade. I'll post up a full review once I have several rides on it. My first impression was that it reminded me of the Yeti 5.5 (demoed one last season) but the Mayhem was considerably faster on the climbs.

If money were no object, my ideal 2-bike quiver (not including a fat bike for winter) would be a Rollik and a Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Frame arrives Tuesday and I hope to be riding Wednesday

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    She's a real beauty!! Please do post up your initial impressions - I love my Rollik - could love a Mayhem as well!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Frame arrives Tuesday and I hope to be riding Wednesday

I'm curious how it compares to the rollik. I asked one of the spot guys which they would be riding, he said he was sticking with the rollik because it was better in the air. When I demoed the rollik last year my favorite part was how it wanted to pop off everything, super easy to get airborne.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post
    I'm curious how it compares to the rollik. I asked one of the spot guys which they would be riding, he said he was sticking with the rollik because it was better in the air. When I demoed the rollik last year my favorite part was how it wanted to pop off everything, super easy to get airborne.
    The Mayham has designed with no front derail. option so it can take 27.5+ or wide 29er tires. The rear end of the Mayham will be stiffer thus better power transfer to rear wheel. It will be better at climbing and I think a 140mm fork is a must, my fork is at Dirt Labs now, Fox 130mm 34 but getting serviced and being upgraded to 2018 spec. Will have new 140mm air spring installed. I should have my large Mayham in a few weeks, now what color should I get!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    I should have my large Mayham in a few weeks, now what color should I get!!
    The matte hot tomato looks pretty awesome in person. That's what I went with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Black shipped. Should have built in Wed

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Being built today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_2401.jpg

6-star build with the Fox36 upgrade. Maiden voyage tomorrow. Stoked!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Biopace View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2401.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	1142938

6-star build with the Fox36 upgrade. Maiden voyage tomorrow. Stoked!
    Did you pick yours up today at Spots Headquarters? Looks similar to the one being picked up today when I was in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post
    I have ridden both versions of the Mayhem, at Apex, as well as the Rollik, although I can't give you a good comparison because the Rollik was ridden on a much tamer trail, Green Mountain. I think I will try to grab a Rollik next week to take to Apex to get a full comparison. I will say based on my memory I feel like the Rollik was easier to move around.

If you are in the area give them a call they are great at letting people try their bikes, will answer all your questions and haven't tried pushing me into buying a bike. Actually Paul said since I've ridden all their bikes I should really take the Rollik back out to get a full comparison.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Demoed the 5 star Mayhem at Apex today, here's my thoughts:

Compared to the Rollik it had all of the benefits and drawbacks you would expect going from 27.5 to 29 inch wheels. Up hill it pedaled awesome, thanks to that Spot special sauce they have going on out back, combined with the eagle drivetrain. I didn't feel nearly as exhausted getting to the top, although I was a little surprised I didn't have more PR's on strava going up. I wasn't really trying to break any records though. I talked about it on my rollick review, the living link suspension is the real deal, pedal bob is nonexistent but still feels awesome pointed back downhill without flipping any levers. Best suspension I've ridden. The 29inch wheels really helped roll over the rocky technical climbing sections, as you would expect.
    Going back down enchanted forest and apex trails I set several PR's on strava, which does not surprise me. The bike felt stable and just wanted to go fast. Some of the ledgy back to back drops usually make me nervous I am going to endo, but the 29inch wheels rolled right over them without flinching. The negative side is the bike takes a little more effort to get off of the ground and turn. The Mayhem wants to monster truck everything at high speed, where the Rollik wants to pop up and over everything. The Rollik is definitely more playful, the Mayhem more stable at speed and in the chunder. Part of this is probably due to the wheels, partly the longer chain stays on the Mayhem. The suspension is still awesome about giving you the support to jump, its just not as eager to do so. The mayhem feels like a bigger bike.

Overall, they are very different beasts. I think I would buy the Rollik for it's fun factor. If I was into crushing strava times the Mayhem would be my choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast