Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    I just ordered the carbon rocker from my mayhem 29, just received shipping information today. When I disassemble everything I will make sure to examine and check for any stress cracks, I just examined that area everything feels very solid no visible cracks seen at this point. I also have the DXP2 shock I recently added. Iíll give Spot a call tomorrow just to find out if thereís any information that I should be aware of.
    Think we'd all be curious to know what you find out. I'm guessing this is a one off incident, but more info is better.
    I will say, Spots response via this guys YouTube channel was pretty poor. Maybe he set the shock up wrong, maybe not. But the knee jerk, blame the user shtick does not inspire confidence.

mtbr member
    So my question for Spot President Andrew Lumpkin would simply be this:

You state that it was the riders fault because he rode the bike with an under inflated shock, and you stated that doing so put more stress on the frame than what it was designed to handle, and that "if you ride any of our bikes with such inadequate setup, sooner or later expect the same result."

If you know this, then why didn't you add more material to the area that is subject to failure due to those high stress levels? It seems that would have been the prudent design philosophy knowing that a high % of riders out there don't check their bikes before a ride like they should.

Should Alex have checked the bike before the ride? Hell yea he should have, and it's one of my pet peeves about group rides, as I am that weird dude who checks all bolts, tires and suspension psi before each and every ride...... (thanks for teaching me that Dad)

However, it sure seems like you knew about the frame's strict requirements and the consequences for not adhering to them, and not doing something to protect customers - and your company, from all of the lazy or simply clueless riders, well that is on you.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Kinda like going to Whistler Bike park with an under inflated front tire and breaking your neck casing a jump. Obviously, the manufactururer of the rim should have added more material. LOL

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    Kinda like going to Whistler Bike park with an under inflated front tire and breaking your neck casing a jump. Obviously, the manufactururer of the rim should have added more material. LOL
    +1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    +2...

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Totally agree. I crushed a rim this year because of lack of air. Totally my fault. Did not call bitching about the lack of material in the rim. Just called myself an idiot a bunch of times and won't do it again! Not anyones fault but mine.

mtbr member
    Comparing a rim to a frame is quite the reach, but if it makes you happy, then OK. I'm not yet a card carrying Spot Army member like yourselves, but it is on my very short list for my upcoming build.

Hopefully Andrew Lumpkin will eventually show up and answer my question to him to get some things clear in my mind before I hit the Buy-It-Now button.

Carry on...........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Hopefully Andrew Lumpkin will eventually show up and answer my question to him to get some things clear in my mind before I hit the Buy-It-Now button.

Carry on...........
    The bike was mine (I own Chasing Epic), and I rode the broken bike down the rest of the Whole Enchilada after Alex crashed. I know how it was set up, I know what led up to the crash, and I'm happy to answer questions if anyone wants to PM me (I'd prefer not to keep up with this thread since we're currently running multiple trips).

For what it's worth, I believe it was a perfect storm of an unfortunate series of events that led to this frame breaking, and I also believe it was a one-off event and I'm not concerned with the durability of the other Spot bikes I have in my demo fleet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I did talk to Spot on Friday, I just expressed a little concern for my own Mayham 29er. They said they had the broken bike and were checking it out, it was the new Rollik 607. I also wanted to make sure it was ok to install the new carbon rocker that I should have soon. They reassured me not to worry to install the rocker when it arrives, I also got an email with install instructions. They said many factors probably played into the failure and all carbon manufactures have frame failures. I will inspect my frame when installing the rocker and use my borescope down the seat tube just to be safe, but I can tell right now all is fine with my frame and I tend to break carbon frame with breaking 4 Pivot frames 3-429sl and 1-429 trail.

I have about 8 rides on the new Fox DPX2 rear shock custom tune by The Flow Zone Maverick Suspension. I really like this shock on the Mayham more supple to small bumps and more progressive on big hits. I have a 9point8 150mm dropper coming with 25mm setback and just put my Dual position air spring Pike at 160mm to 130mm with a flick of the switch, I love this fork so smooth and when I'm climbing really steep stuff just drop it down to 130mm but most of the time its in 160mm. I really love climbing out of the saddle on the Mayham. Stem all the way down, hopefully I can go back to my Enve 55mm stem after installing the new dropper. I have 70mm stem on now with Enve downhill 780mm bar.

mtbr member
    After reading the Spot's owner comment to Alex The Singletrack Sampler video all I can say it was a bad PR move.Should have think twice before commenting.Imo the incident is a one off thing. But after all that its not gonna change how i look at this brand.Im coming from a 17' Pivot Mach 429 trail and switched over every component to the Mayhem. But prior to pulling the trigger a guy named Steve at Spot was very helpful.He answered my queries.In fact chatted with him few days ago about touch up paint. So far their customer service and answers are Spot on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That's a good point about service, I have called Spot probably 10-12 times since the bought my Mayham 29er frame, everytime someone answered the phone, if they didn't know the answer to my question they got me the info I needed. Everyone was super nice and seamed to have a real passion for MTB. Awesome service and that's really important to me.

mtbr member
    While the reply may have came off like they blamed the rider they replaced the frame quickly, like in 3 days or so. I wish everyone treated me so shitty.

Your mouth will say anything, I look at deeds. Maybe they shouldnít have offered an explanation to the frame but that warranty service is as good as it gets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Talk about a tempest in a teapot. Frames of all sorts break all the time, especially in those types of conditions. They replaced it, sh#t happens, move on and work on having fun while breaking the next one.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Agreed. People get wound up over nothing. Makes me wonder how some folks get through real life.

I donít own a Spot, but nothing I read in the owners statement bothers me at all. Itís not ďblaming the riderĒ if thereís evidence that his setup decisions may have contributed to the failure.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Some will tend to freak out and swear off carbon after seeing the video.

However, I have seen the same thing happen to my buddy's aluminum frame in nearly the same spot. He tends to not check his bike before riding and has been known to ride an underinflated shock. He was always pounding the o-ring off the shaft and it killed the frame. He does better now!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice review of the Mayhem in Mountain Flyer.
    http://www.mountainflyermagazine.com...29-6-star.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Nice review of the Mayhem in Mountain Flyer.
    Tested: Spot Mayhem 29 6-Star ¬ę Mountain Flyer Magazine
    Anyone else have same experience with mavic carbon rims? That's a shame to spend that much on a bike for them to break so easily

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Just ask yourself one question, Would you let the sampler ride your dream build? I sure the fk wouldnít. I feel for Spot more than anyone else and Chasing Epic as well.

mtbr member
    I was having such a good time riding today and then this happens
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-20180502_200046.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-20180502_200053.jpg  

2018 Canyon Spectral
    2017 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    Just ask yourself one question, Would you let the sampler ride your dream build? I sure the fk wouldnít. I feel for Spot more than anyone else and Chasing Epic as well.
    Yeah.

Iíve seen enough of his videos to know that I wouldnít want him riding my bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I was having such a good time riding today and then this happens
    I donít know if Iíd question a Spot, but Iíll never own a set of Next cranks....do those things break by the dozen?

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Think we'd all be curious to know what you find out. I'm guessing this is a one off incident, but more info is better.
    I will say, Spots response via this guys YouTube channel was pretty poor. Maybe he set the shock up wrong, maybe not. But the knee jerk, blame the user shtick does not inspire confidence.
    Man, that's not what I got. The guy was bottoming out his frame early in the ride, ignored all signs something was wrong, and kept going until it broke all the way. The whole video is a indictment to the rider acting like a ham head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I donít know if Iíd question a Spot, but Iíll never own a set of Next cranks....do those things break by the dozen?
    Ive owned them for one year and a month, I hope they are still under warranty, I bought them through Worldwide Cyclery. I sent them an email with pics included.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2017 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Nah, donít feel bad for us... Spot replaced the bike already.

Besides, who else can say they rode the bottom half (or third) of the WE on a broken bike with half a handlebar, no front brake and the wrong pedals?

And FWIW, the Mayhem is my favorite bike ever. It absolutely rips and I havenít touched my Ripley LS in months.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Nah, donít feel bad for us... Spot replaced the bike already....
    And FWIW, the Mayhem is my favorite bike ever. It absolutely rips and I havenít touched my Ripley LS in months.
    +1 on the Mayhem just crushing it in all phases of the game. On the customer service front I have nothing but great things to say about Spot. Paul and Steve have been great to work with from the moment I pre-ordered my frame. I'm local, so I have had the benefit of being able to have direct face to face interaction with the Spot guys. I had an issue with the Fox shock before I even started the build where it was leaking oil and they took care of me right away.

As far as the Mayhem itself I'll regurgitate a mini review I provided in another thread. Ill say it again....I really, really like this bike. Since I posted this review about 10 days ago or so I have 5 more rides on it. I have to admit I'm a total Strava junkie always trying to improve my DH times. On the 5 rides since I posted this review on 4 of those rides I either moved into the top 10 on local DH segments or moved up the stack in the top 10. These guys really have this thing dialed for Front Range CO riding...

I have only 5 rides on the Mayhem so far and would be more but my dropper took a dump on me.
    Anyway, the bike is freakin awesome for our riding here on the Front Range...which would make sense considering these guys are right up the road. Mine is set up with a MRP Ribbon Air set at 140mm and the stock .2 volume spacer on the Fox DPS was replaced with a ~.5 spacer. It gets after it on the chunky, fast, tech DH we have here (as 29ner mentioned very stiff frame but it's also ~ 1.25 lbs heavier vs OG Ripley frame) and WOW does this thing climb really well. It climbs easily as well as my old OG Ibis Ripley, which was a great climbing bike. Still early but I would give the edge to the Mayhem on tech climbing sections. To put the whole DH part in perspective the last ride I did where the dropper post broke (i couldn't lower it for DH) I was hitting our most technical, longest, rowdiest descent in out trail network. The best I could do was lower the portion of dropper post that you clamp on as low as it could go. Still way high but better than nothing. I'm not a very fast climber, but I consider myself I relatively fast, aggressive DH'er. Even with the dropper issue on the most technical Strava segment on this roughly 13-14 min DH I was only 3 seconds off my PR on my Hightower (Longshocked to 150 with X2, 160 Lyrik, E13/DHR2 tires etc) On the Mayhem with a jacked up dropper and "lighter" trail tires (Bontrager XR4 front and Forekaster rear) I was almost as fast. Anyways, I need more time on this thing but it really rips on the local terrain. I like it a lot!

mtbr member
    I like Alex i watched his videos but Hell no to sampling my build.Sometimes he make me cringe. I've seen his video of unboxing and first riding his diamondback on trail .And guess what shock wasnt even set up properly.He used to work for a bike shop and I don't understand why not set the damn sag before setting out??? https://youtu.be/o3ueHy1b1lU

skip to 5:00 and be the judge.

Last edited by Mitsu808; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Nah, donít feel bad for us... Spot replaced the bike already.

Besides, who else can say they rode the bottom half (or third) of the WE on a broken bike with half a handlebar, no front brake and the wrong pedals?

If I read the comments correctly Spot drove all the way to deliver the replacement.That right there is awesome.And Steve you are also Awesome for riding his broken bike and giving your bike to him.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Ive never been a fan of singletrack sampler honestly. He seems to come across as a bit of a mooch and annoyance in all his content.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Interesting chat and I agree with the comments about Alex. Lets forgot about all of that, bikes break, it happens, who cares.

I am a CO front range guy too, I had an older Ripley, got sucked into a 27.5 150/140 bike, and have decided I want to go back to a 29'er. I have ridden the newer LS Ripley and liked it a lot, but this bike is of interest to me. What length fork are you all running, I am thinking 140 is good, but is 150 bad? And going up to a Fox 36. I want a solid all day bike, that can climb well, and descend well. I am not going to be doing any eduros and I like a bike that climbs well. My current bike does not climb as well.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Come ride mine, and decide for yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Quote Originally Posted by cgauss View Post
    Interesting chat and I agree with the comments about Alex. Lets forgot about all of that, bikes break, it happens, who cares.

I am a CO front range guy too, I had an older Ripley, got sucked into a 27.5 150/140 bike, and have decided I want to go back to a 29'er. I have ridden the newer LS Ripley and liked it a lot, but this bike is of interest to me. What length fork are you all running, I am thinking 140 is good, but is 150 bad? And going up to a Fox 36. I want a solid all day bike, that can climb well, and descend well. I am not going to be doing any eduros and I like a bike that climbs well. My current bike does not climb as well.

Thoughts?
    I'm a long time Ibis fan, and my last bike was an OG Ripley which I loved. I didn't think it was possible, but the Mayhem is a step up in every way over my old Rip. The Living Link seems like a gimmick, but its for real. Not sure what black magic is happening back there to make the bike climb like it does and still crush it on the descents.
    I recently replaced the air shaft on my 140mm Fox 36 with a 150 with a Vorsprung Luftkappe installed. So damn good! Even with the longer stroke fork, no front end wandering issues, even on very steep climbs.
    I do wish the frame was a bit lighter (my large was a bit over 7lbs) but don't think I'd trade the frame stiffness for a few ounces.
    I didn't have a chance to demo the Mayhem before I bought it and have zero regrets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I spent a good 45 mins with Paul and Tyler at Spot's offices/factory the other day and I can state with full confidence that these are good people! That or really good at faking being good people for 45 mins. Lol. Although customer service is obviously a smart practice in general they were under no obligation to entertain my extensive questions.

Personally I'm still a bit torn between the Mayhem and Alchemy Arktos 29 but after my visit Spot is a company that I'd happily support with $5k+ of my hard earned cash. For whatever that is worth.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icelt View Post
    I spent a good 45 mins with Paul and Tyler at Spot's offices/factory the other day and I can state with full confidence that these are good people! That or really good at faking being good people for 45 mins. Lol. Although customer service is obviously a smart practice in general they were under no obligation to entertain my extensive questions.

Personally I'm still a bit torn between the Mayhem and Alchemy Arktos 29 but after my visit Spot is a company that I'd happily support with $5k+ of my hard earned cash. For whatever that is worth.
    Paul and Tyler are both genuinely great guys. And both can rip, for whatever thatís worth.

mtbr member
    Too bad for the guy (couple post up) who can't press the Buy it now button just because of what Andrew said.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have had a Mayhem since release. In fact, I likely have one of the first frames released to the public. From the beginning, both Steve and Paul have been exceptional. Someone answers the phone everytime. They never seem rushed either. The frame has been flawless. Their support materials are complete and even have torque values. The bike is extremely good. It climbs wonderfully and descends great too. It is stiff as could be. I am sure there have been failures, as any frame does. But I have no reason to doubt their quality or post support. I feel bad as so many will miss out on a great bike if you jump to judgment. I am a fan of Spot because of experience, not because I just own the bike.

mtbr member
    Anyone in SoCal (Orange County) have a Large Spot I could throw a leg over for a quick ride, even if down the street. At 6' 35" inseam I want to see how the steep ST angle feels. No chance to demo one locally. Thanks
    Last edited by Chicane32; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:21 AM.

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    Anyone in SoCal (Orange County) have a Large Spot I could throw a leg over for a quick ride, even if down the street. Being tall 35" inseam I want to see how the steep ST angle feels. No chance to demo one locally. Thanks
    I have a 31Ē inseam and ride a large. Iím thinking you may need to size up at 35Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I edited my post. I'm only 6' but have long legs, shorter torso I guess. The XL numbers, especially WB stretch out beyond what I prefer and with a tall seat height/steep ST angle, I may feel over the bars.

mtbr member
    I'd really love to throw a leg over a large Mayhem 29, but they're nowhere to be found. Anyone in the Bay Area willing to let me take it for a quick spin? I'm in Oakland, but willing to drive to your local trails just to have a quick spin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rmanalan View Post
    I'd really love to throw a leg over a large Mayhem 29, but they're nowhere to be found. Anyone in the Bay Area willing to let me take it for a quick spin? I'm in Oakland, but willing to drive to your local trails just to have a quick spin.
    If you ever make it over to Sac you can take mine for a spin.

mtbr member
    May 2017

Rekon 2.6

For anyone interested here are some fresh mounted 2.6 Rekon's on my Mayhem. Going to try them out today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_0092.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_0090.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_0089.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_0087.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_0085.jpg  

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rvbiker View Post
    For anyone interested here are some fresh mounted 2.6 Rekon's on my Mayhem. Going to try them out today.
    Looks really really tight in the rear. You think the 2.35 would be better?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    It is tight, but not as bad as it looks in the pic. I had a 2.4 DHR2 before and this isnít a huge difference, as I have 28mm Mavic pro wheel. Would guess slightly under 2.6.

As long as I donít have a clearance issue, Iím more focused on the balance of the traction so if it needs to be smaller Iíll try a couple comboís. I wanted the DHR2 off as itís a little heavy and overkill for my current terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Looks really really tight in the rear. You think the 2.35 would be better?

dmo
    mtbr member
    It is tight, but not as bad as it looks in the pic. I had a 2.4 DHR2 before and this isnít a huge difference, as I have 28mm Mavic pro wheel. Would guess slightly under 2.6.

As long as I donít have a clearance issue, Iím more focused on the balance of the traction so if it needs to be smaller Iíll try a couple comboís. I wanted the DHR2 off as itís a little heavy and overkill for my current terrain.
    Cool. Report back after a few more rides. I'm running 2.4 Martellos now but have considered the 2.6 Rekons as they weigh less. Did you weigh them to see if they are true to claims?

mtbr member
    So I hit the 500 mile mark on my Mayhem today since building it in late fall last year, and something I have noticed is even though it is an amazing bike for climbing, Im still not confident while descending on it. I cant put my finger on it, the geometry for me is just not fun while going down big hills, I had way more confidence on my Hightower which seemed to steam roller over everything and just felt like a faster bike, now on the flip side the HT did not climb nearly as efficient, I broke all my PR's for climbing on the Spot, im not even close to the PR's for descending.

Overall though the Spot is an amazing bike and I see "Bike" magazine made it there BOTY.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2017 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Do you have a 36 on it set to 140? I plow everything with that set up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Might be the fork. My 36 felt ok going fast, but slower technical terrain was not fun. Front end was harsh and bounced off of everything. Not confidence inspiring at all! Tried every combo of pressure/rebound/volume spacers I could think of. Swapped the airshaft for a 150mm and installed a Vorsprung Luftkappe. Like a whole different fork. Bike feels planted and smooth. Pretty rare ride I'm not PR'ing descents I've done many times. Not sure what fork you are running, but might be worth looking into.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I have mine with a Pike 140mm and an X2 for the rear shock. It climbs and descends amazing. I have an Evil Insurgent (27.5) with 150mm travel that descends better but doesn't climb or pedal nearly as well. I haven't ridden a Hightower though so cant relate.

Living the Dream
    How does the x2 feel compared to the stock shock? Does it make rear a lot more plush? Condering the X2 or dpx. Thanks

dmo
    mtbr member
    It's great. You can adjust it so much. I have the hsc compression 2 clicks from full open so it feels great on big hits and square edged hits. It takes alot of fine tuning with psi to get right. 1 psi can make a big difference. You can fully close the shock for stretches of road or fire road and it's still active but firm. I'm really impressed. Yes it is heavy but the spot pedals so well I don't care.

mtbr member
    I have the stock shock and im running a 140mm fox34. Ive been messing with the volume spacers on both and I still cant get it right.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2017 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

dmo
    mtbr member
    I have the stock shock and im running a 140mm fox34. Ive been messing with the volume spacers on both and I still cant get it right.
    Did your Hightower have a fox or rockshox? I used to have a Mojo 3 with a Fox34 that felt the same way you describe. I've always had better luck getting rock shox more the way I want. What are you struggling with; early, mid or late travel?

Also, what size are you on and are you sure you have the right fit. My mayhem is alot longer in reach than I'm used to so I have to run shorter stem and more spacers under the stem than normal.

mtbr member
    Did your Hightower have a fox or rockshox? I used to have a Mojo 3 with a Fox34 that felt the same way you describe. I've always had better luck getting rock shox more the way I want. What are you struggling with; early, mid or late travel?

Also, what size are you on and are you sure you have the right fit. My mayhem is alot longer in reach than I'm used to so I have to run shorter stem and more spacers under the stem than normal.

The HT had a Fox34 fork and I think a RS shock, Im 5'11'' and always ride a large, my stem is 50mm with a raceface next 35 bar 20mm rise. On my ride today I noticed it snapping back really fast, so I slowed the rebound down 2 clicks im now at 1 click to it being all the way closed.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2017 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    @dmo I just saw this today, https://youtu.be/aJ61J0arr3Y and the same exact thing was said for the Rollik even with more travel and a Fox 36.

I wonder what truly makes them not so good on the descent. I thought the geometry was similar to others líve beenwbke to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The HT had a Fox34 fork and I think a RS shock, Im 5'11'' and always ride a large, my stem is 50mm with a raceface next 35 bar 20mm rise. On my ride today I noticed it snapping back really fast, so I slowed the rebound down 2 clicks im now at 1 click to it being all the way closed.
    Yeah had the same issue on my 36. It was so bouncy I had to slow the rebound way down to control the front end. Think I ended up 3 or 4 clicks from closed. Helped some, but then it would pack down on higher speed successive hits. With the Luftkappe Iím 7 out from full slow and feels just about right.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRdWarrior View Post
    I wonder what truly makes them not so good on the descent....
    My experience is the opposite. My review is above so won't repeat it. Will only add that I run mine in 29 (tried 27.5+ on my old HD3 and hated it). At least for the terrain here on the Front Range where Spot is located it kills it on the DH. I do think the bike should come with a 140mm stock. I'm running an MRP Ribbon @ 140. From a data perspective (Strava times) it pretty much confirms for me that this bike is fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Iím with MSH. That said, the Mayhem is on the poppy/playful side vs soft/plush. It will plow, but really shines when itís pumped and ridden actively.
    Last edited by ripn; 1 Week Ago at 09:40 PM.

Living the Dream
    Thanks. Nice looking spot.
    It's great. You can adjust it so much. I have the hsc compression 2 clicks from full open so it feels great on big hits and square edged hits. It takes alot of fine tuning with psi to get right. 1 psi can make a big difference. You can fully close the shock for stretches of road or fire road and it's still active but firm. I'm really impressed. Yes it is heavy but the spot pedals so well I don't care.

"And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have had my Spot Mayhem over a year now. Running 2018 Fox 34 modified by Push and Luftkappe by Vorsprung. Run with both 140 and 130. It's been great in all conditions. What types of downs are you struggling with?

What shock are you running? IMO, due to the living link, the bike rides higher in in travel unless you are under hard compression. Maybe this is some of your issue in how it feels too.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    So after about 5hrs more here's the details. If not weighted right the front will wash before the rear. The other downside on the rear is the super steep climbing. I have broke traction a few times where I would not of with the DHR2. I think I'm going to spin the rear tire backwards first before I try trimming the knobs. After flipping rotation, I will trim a little bit of the side nob with a scalpel to get the traction I prefer cornering.

Aside from small tweaks I'm relatively pleased. I like the DHR2 for everything except the weight. More testing ahead.

In fairness, I have also made the switch to flats instead of SPD's so the climbing issue may be me.

Forgot to mention that I did not weigh them, sorry.
    Cool. Report back after a few more rides. I'm running 2.4 Martellos now but have considered the 2.6 Rekons as they weigh less. Did you weigh them to see if they are true to claims?

Last edited by rvbiker; 6 Days Ago at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    I think I fixed all my problem, I took delivery of a Canyon Spectral today....lol
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2017 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Do you prefer the Spectral to the Mayhem??? I so close to pulling the trigger on the Spot but have bikes like the spectral on my list as well but pretty sold on 29'' hoops. I have an OG ripley like a lot of others and its time to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by naibda View Post
    Do you prefer the Spectral to the Mayhem??? I so close to pulling the trigger on the Spot but have bikes like the spectral on my list as well but pretty sold on 29'' hoops. I have an OG ripley like a lot of others and its time to upgrade.
    What type of riding do you do? I have a year of Mayhem experience, but none on the Canyon.

mtbr member
    If youíre considering the Spectral, you should also be looking at the Spot Rollik then. Not much comparison between the Mayhem and the Spectral.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yea I dont have much experience with 650b bikes. I thin Mayhem is my top bike of choice at the moment. Was looking for 130-140mm travel trail bike that can climb really well (hence my OG ripley w/140 fork) but can still descend will on some tech terrain. I travel with my bike quite a bit and never know what i might end up on. Only thing i dont really like is the brake cable on the outside. Looks soo beautiful...on one side! lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yea I dont have much experience with 650b bikes. I thin Mayhem is my top bike of choice at the moment. Was looking for 130-140mm travel trail bike that can climb really well (hence my OG ripley w/140 fork) but can still descend will on some tech terrain. I travel with my bike quite a bit and never know what i might end up on. Only thing i dont really like is the brake cable on the outside. Looks soo beautiful...on one side! lol.
    Can go wrong with the Mayhem. I ride it in everything for more than a year. I usually buy 2 bikes a year, but honestly I can't find anything I would replace it with. I keep getting excited about new things hitting the market, but nothing seems better for my varied riding. Fit and setup are fickle and takes some patience though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It's such crazy subject when talking what bike is best for someone, so many different factors it's impossible to say one bike is the best bike!! When you can ride and own several bikes at once you get a much better idea at what you prefer. For me it's the Trek Fuel EX 9.9 2016 with 27.5+ setup, I can do everything better on this bike than on my Mayham 29er. I love the back end and how flickable and light it is this bike is 25lbs with petals, I'm able to go faster go over higher 3.5 foot logs, climb up technical sleep trails and down fast decends. The Mayham may have the advantage on the most rocky, chunky downs.

My friend just got the the YT Jeffsy CF Pro Race 29er yesterday, he got rid of the stock crap wheels for new Light Bicycles 35mm asymmetric 29er wheels with 240 hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes with brass nips, removed the 46 tooth Cassette for Sram x01 42 tooth cassette. Bike is 26.9 with pedals, I can't wait to demo it!! Brandywine State Park is where I ride!! DE. YT is 5k right to your house, the only thing I don't like are the wheels!! Why can't anyone get the the Wheels and hubs right? I also love the Philosophy of the founder of YT, YT means Young Talent but has nothing to do with age!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070584.jpg  

mtbr member
    how do you guys size? i am going for a demo ride and not sure between L and XL.
    I am 6'-2".

mtbr member
    6'2", definitely an XL. I'm between 5'10" and 5'11" and comfortably ride a large.

And by the way, that ^^^^ is a nice looking bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    I am 6'-2".
    I think choosing the correct size is critical on the Mayham!! I have a large and I'm 5'10 with short 31 inch inseam legs but with very long upper body, so my dropper has to be all the way down, seat all the way back and 70mm stem so I'm not cramped. This causes all kinks of problems for me, I believe this bike with it's very forward geometry works best when the seat post is not slammed all the down this brings you way to forward in the bike.
    We all know that the higher the seat post goes up the further back you are positioned in the bike and in the Mayham this critical. To far forward makes you cramped in the top tube makes it hard to lift the front end. To much weight is now not centered in the bike, I probably should have gone with a Medium and alot of my problem's would be solved. Keep that in mind when choosing the size, my rule now is only to demo the bike prior to buying or work out a deal you can swap sizes it the bike does not fit!!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Call Spot with you measurements and they will tell you what to get. I backed this up by getting fitted on a Mayhem as well and they were "spot" on. I'm 6'2" and have a large, because I'm all upper body with 32" actual inseam. You size to your legs and adjust up top. I'm very comfortable on the bike.

I am 6'-2".

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam...I'm thinking medium should be my size for a Mayhem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

mtbr member
    Call Spot with you measurements and they will tell you what to get. I backed this up by getting fitted on a Mayhem as well and they were "spot" on. I'm 6'2" and have a large, because I'm all upper body with 32" actual inseam. You size to your legs and adjust up top. I'm very comfortable on the bike.
    my inseam mesurement is 44.25" i will talk to them and see if i can take both l and xl for a demo back to back.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam...I'm thinking medium should be my size for a Mayhem?
    Yes that is the size for you! I am about exactly the same measurements on a medium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    I think choosing the correct size is critical on the Mayham!! I have a large and I'm 5'10 with short 31 inch inseam legs but with very long upper body, so my dropper has to be all the way down, seat all the way back and 70mm stem so I'm not cramped. This causes all kinks of problems for me, I believe this bike with it's very forward geometry works best when the seat post is not slammed all the down this brings you way to forward in the bike.
    We all know that the higher the seat post goes up the further back you are positioned in the bike and in the Mayham this critical. To far forward makes you cramped in the top tube makes it hard to lift the front end. To much weight is now not centered in the bike, I probably should have gone with a Medium and alot of my problem's would be solved. Keep that in mind when choosing the size, my rule now is only to demo the bike prior to buying or work out a deal you can swap sizes it the bike does not fit!!
    i dont quite follow, you are cramped on L, your seat all the way back and 70mm stem and you think you should have gone M?

mtbr member

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

my inseam mesurement is 44.25" i will talk to them and see if i can take both l and xl for a demo back to back.
    You sure about that inseam measurement?! You play in the NBA?

dmo
    mtbr member
    FWIW I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam and on a medium. I use a 40mm stem. I could have gone small but prefer the longer reach. My only niggle is the bike has a long wheelbase relative to my proportions. This is less so with 27.5+ wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    You sure about that inseam measurement?! You play in the NBA?
    lol, make that 34.25"

mtbr member
    If anyone on the Front Range wants to check out sizing, I'm happy to let you hop on one of my demos if it's easier than getting down to Spot in Golden... I've got a M/L/XL in both the Mayhem and the Rollik. I'm up in North Boulder, just shoot me a PM and you can swing by my house.

mtbr member
    FWIW I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam and on a medium. I use a 40mm stem. I could have gone small but prefer the longer reach. My only niggle is the bike has a long wheelbase relative to my proportions. This is less so with 27.5+ wheels.

we are same height and about same inseam. Have medium running 50mm stem. I thought the same about wb since I came from a m429t with a 43"+ wb and Mayhem Med is 46"+. But for me the wb is about right so far. It didnt feel like a super long bike cause the upper geo fits like a glove and my weight is bang on the center. Aloha \w/

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789