Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 701 to 800 of 922
  1. #701
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    22
    Ordered mine Wed and got an email Friday it was ready. Spot guys have been awesome answering questions through the whole process.

  2. #702
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post
    Ordered mine Wed and got an email Friday it was ready. Spot guys have been awesome answering questions through the whole process.

    That's good to hear. Sounds like they must be clearing their backlogged orders.

  3. #703
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    49
    Anyone running a Vorsprung Corset with their Fox shock on their Mayhem?

    - The corset helps simulate a coil spring - for initial and mid stroke, wasn't sure if the living link would mitigate the effect?

  4. #704
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner2 View Post
    Anyone running a Vorsprung Corset with their Fox shock on their Mayhem?

    - The corset helps simulate a coil spring - for initial and mid stroke, wasn't sure if the living link would mitigate the effect?
    Best to call Steve or at Vorsprung on this. He will tell you yes or no.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  5. #705
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    3
    Does anybody know if 2.6 tires fit on the back of the 29er?

  6. #706
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10
    According to Spot 29 2.4 is the largest in the back

  7. #707
    mtbr member
    Reputation: poonamibaxter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by Fndave View Post
    Does anybody know if 2.6 tires fit on the back of the 29er?
    One of the Spot guys is running 2.6 Schwalbe front and back on his 29er. Not sure what the id of his rims are but he was telling me how much he was liking em.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

  8. #708
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    3
    Any idea what size frame, the XL has longer chain stays

  9. #709
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    One of the Spot guys is running 2.6 Schwalbe front and back on his 29er. Not sure what the id of his rims are but he was telling me how much he was liking em.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Could they be 27.5x2.6? You would think that would lower the bb to much

  10. #710
    mtbr member
    Reputation: poonamibaxter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    659
    Itís on a 29er. Iíve chosen a tire size and now Iím a real dick about it. He was telling me I should try em out when my dhf/dhr combo wears out.

    You should give em a call or an email. Iíll probably go by there Friday and can see what model schwalbe they are, but they are 2.6x29.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

  11. #711
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    Itís on a 29er. Iíve chosen a tire size and now Iím a real dick about it. He was telling me I should try em out when my dhf/dhr combo wears out.

    You should give em a call or an email. Iíll probably go by there Friday and can see what model schwalbe they are, but they are 2.6x29.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I tried out an ibis 945 with a 2.6 Nobby Nic on the back of my just unboxed medium Mayhem has about 5mm clearance at the closest point ( outside corners of tread ) about 6.5 at the centre of tread. Could be a bit troublesome in the mud but fortunately thatís not very common where I typically ride. Iíll just keep the Mavic wheels that come with the bike and load them with some smaller rubber for the mud.

  12. #712
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    Has anyone confirmed the BB height with 27.5 x 2.8 tires? I'm 334mm on my current 27.5+ bike and wouldn't want to go any lower. Spot websites lists 338mm estimated.

    Also an earlier post someone suggested that in the smallest cog the chain is rubbing on the chainstay? True story?

  13. #713
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    92
    It rubs on the chainstay protector which is quite thick. You can trim it back and add some heli-copter tape. The clearance is very tight.

    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post

    Also an earlier post someone suggested that in the smallest cog the chain is rubbing on the chainstay? True story?

  14. #714
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    Hmmm....almost sounds like a design flaw.

    Maybe could be overcome with a 32t chainring?

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  15. #715
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    I know when I switched to plus tires with my big ass backcountry 450 rims the chain would rub the tire in top gear...called spot and they suggested I flip my chairing around so it offset went the other direction. It fixed my problem

  16. #716
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitsu808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    If anyone is in the market for a med red Mayhem hit me up.
    PM'ed you

    Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

  17. #717
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    Any confirmation on BB height with plus tires?

  18. #718
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    10
    Mine is set up 27.5+ with Nobby Nic/RR 2.8 and it's right at 13.1 to 13.2 inches depending on tire pressure

  19. #719
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I know when I switched to plus tires with my big ass backcountry 450 rims the chain would rub the tire in top gear...called spot and they suggested I flip my chairing around so it offset went the other direction. It fixed my problem
    Was this a bike you built or built up at their factory?

  20. #720
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by ugaskidawg View Post
    Mine is set up 27.5+ with Nobby Nic/RR 2.8 and it's right at 13.1 to 13.2 inches depending on tire pressure
    Thanks.

  21. #721
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    92
    Rekon 27.5+/2.8 = 13.25in/336mm unloaded.

  22. #722
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpath View Post
    Rekon 27.5+/2.8 = 13.25in/336mm unloaded.
    Good to know. That's close to what my bike is with Rekons

  23. #723
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Good to know. That's close to what my bike is with Rekons
    The solution to the lower bottom bracket is just run your fork at 150mm, I have tried fox 34 at 130 and 140 mm. Then I put on an older Pike at 160 and I knew I was onto something, Finally updated to the 2018 Pike at 150mm trust me itís the sweet spot for this bike. Iím also using the new torque caps that go with the new Pike really nice. The pike is so much better in my opinion and the fox 34, you can really feel the difference in the stiffness it rides a little bit higher in itís travel. The fox 36 I imagine will be even better. The new pike is only 67g more in weight than fox 34.

    I have 2 different sets of wheels for this bike 27 5+ and 29er so it makes it really easy without having to switch anything around except for the wheels. I now donít need to worry about Pedal strikes. I also run a 175mm crank which I prefer. The bike deserves a stiff front end. Having the luxury of trying different forks I realize 150 is the perfect size. The pike is a noticeable upgrade over the fox.

  24. #724
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Was this a bike you built or built up at their factory?
    I built it.

  25. #725
    mtbr member
    Reputation: poonamibaxter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    659
    The tires the Spot guy is running are Nobby Nicks. He said they are supposed to be 2.6 but they measure to 2.5. You have about 3-4mm clearance on the rear with it on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

  26. #726
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    I changed my rear from a Rocket Ron plus to Recon plus and there is more room now...I did a nice 14 mile ride today, all nontech singletrack and I really did not like the plus set up to much..lol trails were frozen and firm. Im going to play with it for a little while longer, but will probably go back to 29er in the spring.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

  27. #727
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpath View Post
    Rekon 27.5+/2.8 = 13.25in/336mm unloaded.
    By the way...is this with 130mm fork?

  28. #728
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    92
    Yup, Fox 34 130mm with the 12mm spacer under the head tube. I just got
    a 140mm air shaft so I'll be able to measure with that, but I expect the BB height to drop a little bit with the 140mm without the spacer. Having 170mm cranks helps with pedal strikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    By the way...is this with 130mm fork?

  29. #729
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    Why do you have a 12mm spacer on it?

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  30. #730
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    92
    All 27.5+ setups come with a 12mm spacer to correct the geometry and B.B. height.

    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Why do you have a 12mm spacer on it?

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  31. #731
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitsu808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    43
    Anybody protecting their frame? Invisiframe doesnt make a kit for it. So how you guys protect your frame?

    Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

  32. #732
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    21
    I purchased a roll of helicopter tape (either 3 or 4Ē wide) and fairly long and made my own pieces. I used paper to make a template on the frame points that I wanted to cover and then cut them out of the tape with a scalpel and put them on the bike. I am slow and methodical and it took me a couple hours. I enjoyed doing it though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu808 View Post
    Anybody protecting their frame? Invisiframe doesnt make a kit for it. So how you guys protect your frame?

    Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

  33. #733
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    Anyone come to this bike after another bike?

    Prior to finding this bike I kind of had my heart set on purchasing an Ibis Mojo 3 or a Hightower.

  34. #734
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitsu808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by rvbiker View Post
    I purchased a roll of helicopter tape (either 3 or 4Ē wide) and fairly long and made my own pieces. I used paper to make a template on the frame points that I wanted to cover and then cut them out of the tape with a scalpel and put them on the bike. I am slow and methodical and it took me a couple hours. I enjoyed doing it though.
    Looks like its the only option then.Now because our bike is Matte I found Xpel makes matte finish and they sell them by roll.I was looking on amazon and all those are gloss finish.

    Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

  35. #735
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitsu808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Anyone come to this bike after another bike?

    Prior to finding this bike I kind of had my heart set on purchasing an Ibis Mojo 3 or a Hightower.
    I'm coming from a 2017 Mach 429 Trail which is a pretty good bike. I was dead set on Ibis Ripley ls until this bike intrigued me. What I liked about it is the steeper ST angle than my Pivot.For a Mid travel bike it also has a tad longer wheelbase than most bikes that have the same size.Frame is on the way and can't wait to put it together.

    Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

  36. #736
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu808 View Post
    I'm coming from a 2017 Mach 429 Trail which is a pretty good bike. I was dead set on Ibis Ripley ls until this bike intrigued me. What I liked about it is the steeper ST angle than my Pivot.For a Mid travel bike it also has a tad longer wheelbase than most bikes that have the same size.Frame is on the way and can't wait to put it together.

    Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
    Guess I was looking for some comparative ride reports.

  37. #737
    dmo
    dmo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Anyone come to this bike after another bike?

    Prior to finding this bike I kind of had my heart set on purchasing an Ibis Mojo 3 or a Hightower.
    I had a M3 before they Mayhem and could never feel comfortable on that bike. It was good all around but I felt the M3 would get hung up in technical rocky stuff. The front end felt too steep. I even tried changing the fox 34 140mm to 150mm air shaft. I spent along time tuning the suspension but just never got along with the mojo.

    The Mayhem (I had it set up with 27.5+ wheels btw) is more stiff, climbs better, and handles rough stuff way better. I have the Mayhem with a 140mm Pike. For comparison I also have a Evil Insurgent with 150mm travel. The evil doesn't climb as well but is a blast to ride downhill.

    Hope that helps. I'm not very good at bike review type of summaries.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  38. #738
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    352

    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

    Owned lots of different bikes. Most recently an OG Ibis Ripley. The Mayhem is really in a different class of bike than the Rip, even though the suspension travel is similar. The Spot is just burlier. The frame is WAY stiffer. Holds a line in rough terrain far better, is more stable at speed and loves going fast. My Ripley was a couple pounds lighter so it might have had a slight edge going uphill.

    I have a far amount of time on the Hightower as well (both regular and LT) and just not a fan. Nice bikes for sure, but I can never get SC's version of the VPP to ride the way I'd like. To me, they feel firm off the top, mushy in the middle and harsh at bottom out. Blah. Lots of people like them though.
    I have a couple demo rides on the Mojo 3. Pretty much felt like a Ripley with smaller wheels.
    Lots of great bikes out there. The Mayhem is one of them.
    Last edited by ripn; 03-14-2018 at 04:13 PM.

  39. #739
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Anyone come to this bike after another bike?

    Prior to finding this bike I kind of had my heart set on purchasing an Ibis Mojo 3 or a Hightower.
    Im coming from a Hightower, I liked it but for my trails it was to much bike, mine had a 150 up front and although it descended really well,I had a tough time on the climbs on it. I demoed a M3 but I felt to big on it for some reason,maybe if I was able to change out the stem it would of been different. It is a very short feeling bike

    As for other bikes comparable to the Mayhem I think the Intense Primer comes pretty close, just looking at the geometry, but I have never ridden one.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

  40. #740
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    Hmmmm...Some encouraging reports here on the Mayhem vs. Hightower or Mojo 3.


    Front end easy enough to lift to get over obstacles?

  41. #741
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Hmmmm...Some encouraging reports here on the Mayhem vs. Hightower or Mojo 3.


    Front end easy enough to lift to get over obstacles?
    No issues lofting the front wheel. That said, probably not as good as a bike with super short chain stays.
    My only complaint with the Mayhem is I wish the frame was lighter. At a hair over 7lbs, (large frame) it is a half to a full pound heavier than many other bikes in its class. Without bringing a wheelbarrow full of cash, it isn't easy to get it below 28lbs.
    Mine is the 4 star build with the Fox 36 140mm upgrade. I swapped the wheels for my carbon Roval Fattie's (e13 TRS front tire, Spec Purgatory rear) and installed a nice Race Face Next carbon bar. With my crank bro pedals the bike was 29.25lbs. Not bad for a burly trail bike with the 36 out front, but can't help to wish for a little less heft.
    Last edited by ripn; 03-15-2018 at 05:41 PM.

  42. #742
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    I would be a medium and would probably go fox 34

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  43. #743
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Not bad for a burly trail bike with the 36 out front, but can't help to wish for a little less heft.
    Agreed, the bike is a bit heavy when you pick it up, but it doesn't ride or pedal like it weighs close to 30 lbs. IMO after a handful of longer rides here in CO, it pedals better than bikes that weigh 2-4 lbs less, and it's way burlier than any other 5" travel 29er I've been on.

    And here's a Mayhem action shot I took yesterday during an afternoon photo shoot with the guys:

    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-spot-whiteranch-27.jpg

  44. #744
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Agreed, the bike is a bit heavy when you pick it up, but it doesn't ride or pedal like it weighs close to 30 lbs. IMO after a handful of longer rides here in CO, it pedals better than bikes that weigh 2-4 lbs less, and it's way burlier than any other 5" travel 29er I've been on.

    And here's a Mayhem action shot I took yesterday during an afternoon photo shoot with the guys:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spot-WhiteRanch-27.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	1187810
    Yep, I agree. It definately pedals light for its weight. The Hightower I've spent time on is probably in the 28 pound range and the Mayhem is leagues better going uphill. That said, it would climb even better if it were lighter.
    The bike is really unlike anything I've ridden before. The combo of an incredibly stiff frame, very firm pedaling platform on the ups, but still smooth, compliant suspension on the down is a winner. Can't wait to get the red beast into some bigger terrain this summer.

  45. #745
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,660
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Agreed, the bike is a bit heavy when you pick it up, but it doesn't ride or pedal like it weighs close to 30 lbs. IMO after a handful of longer rides here in CO, it pedals better than bikes that weigh 2-4 lbs less, and it's way burlier than any other 5" travel 29er I've been on.

    And here's a Mayhem action shot I took yesterday during an afternoon photo shoot with the guys:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spot-WhiteRanch-27.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	1187810
    What's your bike weigh in at with the Fox 34? Medium or Large?

    I would have to assume that those of you that have mentioned the weight have aluminum rims?

  46. #746
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    352

    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    What's your bike weigh in at with the Fox 34? Medium or Large?

    I would have to assume that those of you that have mentioned the weight have aluminum rims?
    Mine has Roval carbon wheels. The Fox 34 saves around a half a pound over the 36.

  47. #747
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    92
    Mine (Large, 4 star build) was ~30.5lbs. When I upgraded to a carbon wheel set it saved ~1lb.

    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    What's your bike weigh in at with the Fox 34? Medium or Large?

    I would have to assume that those of you that have mentioned the weight have aluminum rims?

  48. #748
    dmo
    dmo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    What's your bike weigh in at with the Fox 34? Medium or Large?

    I would have to assume that those of you that have mentioned the weight have aluminum rims?
    I have a med with a pike 140, xx1 and carbon wheels just over 28lbs...

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  49. #749
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    What's your bike weigh in at with the Fox 34? Medium or Large?

    I would have to assume that those of you that have mentioned the weight have aluminum rims?
    I don't know exactly, I don't have a scale... it's all relative compared to the other bikes (Mojo 3, Ripley LS, BMC SpeedFox) I've owned recently. My large Mayhem feels a bit heavier than the Ripley LS, maybe a pound max.

    And yes, I've got Industry Nine Enduro-S wheels on the bike, which weigh 1900g. Plus a Maxxis DHF 2.5" up front and an Onza Ibex 2.4" rear, so I could easily shed a pound on the wheels/tires alone (it came with Arch MK3 and Nobby Nic 2.35" setup, which is lighter than what I have). That said, the bike doesn't feel heavy when I'm riding it, and it absolutely rips on the descents so I'll probably just leave it as-is.

  50. #750
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    For those guys who got bikes with the Magic Quest Pro tires,what did you think of them? They look like they would be a fast rolling tire,and I like the fact you can run them front and rear.

  51. #751
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smmokan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,634
    I'm not positive, but I believe they all come with the new Schwalbe Addix 2.35" Nobby Nics... I picked mine up a couple of weeks ago and that's what came stock. I would prefer the Mavic Quest Pro, though, since it would make a solid rear tire (and I'll put a Maxxis up front anyways).

  52. #752
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,234
    Anyone try the DVO Topaz rear shock on the Mayham 29er. Thinking about the Fox DPX2 or the DVO as up grade stock shock. Seams harsh, then when lowing psi becomes to saggy and I bottom out!!

    Just sent my older Onyx hubs out for upgrade to boost, for about 300 I will basically have brand new boost hubs. Will have they re-laced to my Derby hoops.

    Also upgrade brakes to Shimano XTR Trail with 203 ice tech rotors front and 180mm rear rotors. I really like the stopping power now!!

  53. #753
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Anyone try the DVO Topaz rear shock on the Mayham 29er. Thinking about the Fox DPX2 or the DVO as up grade stock shock. Seams harsh, then when lowing psi becomes to saggy and I bottom out!!

    Just sent my older Onyx hubs out for upgrade to boost, for about 300 I will basically have brand new boost hubs. Will have they re-laced to my Derby hoops.

    Also upgrade brakes to Shimano XTR Trail with 203 ice tech rotors front and 180mm rear rotors. I really like the stopping power now!!
    I have the Dpx2 tuned by Dirtlabs. Made a huge difference.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  54. #754
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,234
    Yea I will have Ethan at Marverick Suspension tune my DPX2 if I go with Fox. Thanks!!
    Ethan is the Man!!

    Quick note about tires, Bontrager XR4 2.4 Team Issue and now they have the 29x2.6 and 27.5x2.8 for the + size. If you can find them they are my favorite tires, sidewalls are stiff and very puncture resistant, grippy in wet roots and rocks!!

  55. #755
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Continental is coming out with a new line up of tires. I have been seeing a lot of there older tires drastically reduced. The problem I read with there tires are the sizing on them is crazy depending were they are manufactured. I want to stay in the 2.35 to 2.4, Im not a fan of this big wide tires coming out now. Im not an overly aggressive rider, so I dont need tires with huge tread. Thats why I asked about the Mavic tires, but I cant find them anywhere.

    For now since the trails in my area are on the softer side im going to run my HRII front and rear.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

  56. #756
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,234
    Fox Dpx2 with tune on the way, canít wait!! Should have my Onyx Hubs back next week. Adding some weight but sometimes you gotta do it.

    Never had good luck with continental tires and never been on the Mavicís!!

  57. #757
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Quick note about tires, Bontrager XR4 2.4 Team Issue and now they have the 29x2.6 and 27.5x2.8 for the + size. If you can find them they are my favorite tires, sidewalls are stiff and very puncture resistant, grippy in wet roots and rocks!!
    Now do you run the XR4 front and rear? or would you put the XR3 on the rear?
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

  58. #758
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Now do you run the XR4 front and rear? or would you put the XR3 on the rear?
    Right now I'm running XR4 2.4x29er front and rear, but summer I do run Xr3 in rear. Great combo!

    I just installed the tuned Fox DPX2, to muddy right now to go out.

  59. #759
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,449
    So what fork travel is everyone running with the 29er setup and why?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  60. #760
    Jim Dunks
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    So what fork travel is everyone running with the 29er setup and why?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I have ran mine at 130,140 and 150 travel. Bike still road well at 150 travel even up the steep climbs. The front was not as planted as it was at 130 travel but having more travel was great. I have settled in at 140 for now and will probably run it at this travel for the summer. I am running a MRP Ribbon fork so the travel change is easy to do.

  61. #761
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    So what fork travel is everyone running with the 29er setup and why?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Did the Fox 36 140mm upgrade on mine so I could run both wheel sizes. Interestingly, I ordered the bike in 27.5+ and it also had the lower cup spacer installed. Bike rode and climbed great even with the extra slack front end. Iíve since removed the spacer, but considering bumping the front travel to 150 as there didnít seem to be any downside to the taller/slacker front.

  62. #762
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    11
    I wonder if they will be releasing anything new at sea otter .

  63. #763
    Sponge Brain
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    134
    Doubtful with the new Rollik a month ago.

    Only change I'm aware of is new carbon rocker link for Mayhem (source: Spot Instagram Comment)

  64. #764
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    So what fork travel is everyone running with the 29er setup and why?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Started with 130mm Fox 34, then 140mm Fox, them 160mm Pike with 46 offset. Now new 2018 Pike at 150mm 51mm offset. I like the lower offset, just a must more natural feel to the front end. I may go back to 160mm, I love how it stacks it out and changes the seat tube angle more to my liking. Also raises the BB to over 14inches, I just like the 175mm crank arms. Problem going to get the new 2019 Pike at 160mm with 42mm off set. I still have my seat all the way back on my large frame and I only 5'10 with short 31 inseam legs and long upper body with long arms. If I hhad normal legs I would be 6 foot. XL would not work for me.

    Just got my Onyx hubs back with Alloy xd driver and Torque caps for Pike fork, Onyx have a great upgrade program, went from no-boost to boost on 35 Derby rims. Also just had a chance to ride the Fox DPX2 shock, This is the shock that should have came stock. Better small bump sensitivity and much better progressive ramp up for big hits.

    Anti Freeze green wil be the new theme, since the had My rear Triangle painted silver to match the Spot silver a while ago. I put carbon Vinyl on the down tube, you can see a piece of the vinyl I used on the down tube just above the water bottle cage. It also protects the down tube and light in weight!!

    Re-did the chain stays protection, much better in my opinion!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070808.jpg  

    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070916.jpg  

    Last edited by dgw7000; 04-03-2018 at 02:13 PM.

  65. #765
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wooly88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Started with 130mm Fox 34, then 140mm Fox, them 160mm Pike with 46 offset. Now new 2018 Pike at 150mm 51mm offset. I like the lower offset, just a must more natural feel to the front end. I may go back to 160mm, I love how it stacks it out and changes the seat tube angle more to my liking. Also raises the BB to over 14inches, I just like the 175mm crank arms. Problem going to get the new 2019 Pike at 160mm with 42mm off set. I still have my seat all the way back on my large frame and I only 5'10 with short 31 inseam legs and long upper body with long arms. If I hhad normal legs I would be 6 foot. XL would not work for me.

    Just got my Onyx hubs back with Alloy xd driver and Torque caps for Pike fork, Onyx have a great upgrade program, went from no-boost to boost on 35 Derby rims. Also just had a chance to ride the Fox DPX2 shock, This is the shock that should have came stock. Better small bump sensitivity and much better progressive ramp up for big hits.

    Anti Freeze green wil be the new theme, since the had My rear Triangle painted silver to match the Spot silver a while ago. I put carbon Vinyl on the down tube, you can see a piece of the vinyl I used on the down tube just above the water bottle cage. It also protects the down tube and light in weight!!

    Re-did the chain stays protection, much better in my opinion!
    Very nice! Howíd you get the stem and chain ring to match the Onyx antifreeze hubs? I had some of those built to Nox rims a while back and they were awesome. Looking forward to seeing the bike built up.

    Iím thinking of getting a Mayhem and selling my pivot 5.5 but not sure of the frame color to choose. Like what youíre doing!!

  66. #766
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly88 View Post
    Very nice! Howíd you get the stem and chain ring to match the Onyx antifreeze hubs? I had some of those built to Nox rims a while back and they were awesome. Looking forward to seeing the bike built up.

    Iím thinking of getting a Mayhem and selling my pivot 5.5 but not sure of the frame color to choose. Like what youíre doing!!
    Not a perfect match, The anti freeze color is a translucent paint, stem and ring are Anodized off-the-shelf components. No other hub on the planet pops like the anti-freeze and almost glows in the dark. Only drawback is they are heavy!!

  67. #767
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    I sold my Mojo3 and replaced it with a mayhem with 27.5x2.8 wheels. It is much better IMO. Stiffer, climbs better, better trail manners and composure, more stable at speed. A bit longer front center maybe. Let me know if you have specific questions

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Hey DMO. I actually have a small Mojo 3 and was thinking of moving to a Mayhem 29. The Mojo always felt a tad small and not as stable as I would like - how would you compare the fit between the two? Thanks!

  68. #768
    dmo
    dmo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by imasavagemonkey View Post
    Hey DMO. I actually have a small Mojo 3 and was thinking of moving to a Mayhem 29. The Mojo always felt a tad small and not as stable as I would like - how would you compare the fit between the two? Thanks!
    I got a medium Mayhem. It's more stretched out with longer reach. I put on a 40mm stem with some spacers under the stem. It feels more stable that way. If I need to get back I just use the dropper post and have no issues. I'll see if I have any old pics for comparing.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  69. #769
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    31
    deleted

  70. #770
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by imasavagemonkey View Post
    Hey DMO. I actually have a small Mojo 3 and was thinking of moving to a Mayhem 29. The Mojo always felt a tad small and not as stable as I would like - how would you compare the fit between the two? Thanks!
    I had a M3 too. Went small in each but went through an extensive fitting recently. Ended up putting a 66mm stem on and the seat slightly back to get angles and back position correct. Also lowered bars to get stack down. According to the fitter, I am proportional as a 5-2 should be, if that helps.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  71. #771
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    So I bought myself a eagle drive train, am I going to need any spacers on my bottom bracket or Raceface next crank to get it to shift properly?

  72. #772
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitsu808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    So I bought myself a eagle drive train, am I going to need any spacers on my bottom bracket or Raceface next crank to get it to shift properly?
    I have eagle drivetrain too but my cranks are sram gxp.I didnt need spacers since the BB spacing is 73mm. hope that helps.


    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  73. #773
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu808 View Post
    I have eagle drivetrain too but my cranks are sram gxp.I didnt need spacers since the BB spacing is 73mm. hope that helps.


    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks, The only reason I asked is two of my friends just bought Mojo 3's and they have one spacer on each side of there Bottom Bracket.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

  74. #774
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coolhand80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Thanks, The only reason I asked is two of my friends just bought Mojo 3's and they have one spacer on each side of there Bottom Bracket.
    The mojo 3 is a 68mm bottom bracket. Hence the two spacers needed for a GXP bottom bracket.
    You will need one spacer under the drive side cup of your race face bottom bracket on your Mayhem to fit the race face next cranks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  75. #775
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    352
    I saw on Spot's Instagram feed there will be a carbon rocker arm available for the Mayhem. Anybody get one yet? Price?

  76. #776
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    I saw on Spot's Instagram feed there will be a carbon rocker arm available for the Mayhem. Anybody get one yet? Price?
    A few weeks from now

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  77. #777
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    352
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    A few weeks from now

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Any word on what it will cost?

  78. #778
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Any word on what it will cost?
    No. Just that is may be a little stiffer and 28g less in weight.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  79. #779
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Started with 130mm Fox 34, then 140mm Fox, them 160mm Pike with 46 offset. Now new 2018 Pike at 150mm 51mm offset. I like the lower offset, just a must more natural feel to the front end. I may go back to 160mm, I love how it stacks it out and changes the seat tube angle more to my liking. Also raises the BB to over 14inches, I just like the 175mm crank arms. Problem going to get the new 2019 Pike at 160mm with 42mm off set. I still have my seat all the way back on my large frame and I only 5'10 with short 31 inseam legs and long upper body with long arms. If I hhad normal legs I would be 6 foot. XL would not work for me.

    Just got my Onyx hubs back with Alloy xd driver and Torque caps for Pike fork, Onyx have a great upgrade program, went from no-boost to boost on 35 Derby rims. Also just had a chance to ride the Fox DPX2 shock, This is the shock that should have came stock. Better small bump sensitivity and much better progressive ramp up for big hits.

    Anti Freeze green wil be the new theme, since the had My rear Triangle painted silver to match the Spot silver a while ago. I put carbon Vinyl on the down tube, you can see a piece of the vinyl I used on the down tube just above the water bottle cage. It also protects the down tube and light in weight!!

    Re-did the chain stays protection, much better in my opinion!
    OT, but did you order the frame with silver highlights instead of the red? Or is that some wrap of some sort? Looks nice!

  80. #780
    dmo
    dmo is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    794
    Anyone try running 29x2.6 Rekons in their Mayhem or know if they will fit? I have some 29x2.4 Martellos now and it looks like there would be plenty of room for a 2.6. Maxxis tends to run small anyway.
    Thanks

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  81. #781
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3
    Posting here before I post elsewhere.

    I have a Mayhem Size Large Black for sale.
    Own a shop and built it up as my dream bike, but with the transition from LBS to CD I need to replace the bike with something I sell. Really wish I didn't have too as these absolutely rip, it doesn't make sense for me to keep though. PM me for pictures and price.

    Open to Frame only or full build.
    Mayhem Build as follows:


    MRP Ribbon Air 140mm
    Ibis I9 935 Carbon Wheels
    E*13 Cassette 9-44
    XT shifter and Derailleur
    XT Brakes 180mm Front, 160 rear
    Saddle (I plan to keep mine but will install a brand new one)
    Grips (Everyone likes fresh ones so Iíll replace with new)
    Cane Creek 110 Headset
    Minion DHF Front tire, Minion SS Rear
    Raceface Cockpit:
    ó SIXC Bars 35mm
    ó Turbine Stem
    ó Turbine Dropper Post and remote
    EDC Tool installed in Steerer tube.


    Currently I have a Raceface Power meter paired with Raceface cranks. Iím willing to swap those out and knock down the price a bit if buyer would prefer that.

  82. #782
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Has any current owner of the Mayhem had a chance to ride the new ibis ripmo yet? Just wanted to hear how they compare.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

  83. #783
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    84
    I know the Rollik was just updated so the Mayhem is only going to have the updated rocker arm and updated components? Iím guessing weíll all know more after Sea Otter.

  84. #784
    MSH
    MSH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRdWarrior View Post
    I know the Rollik was just updated so the Mayhem is only going to have the updated rocker arm and updated components? Iím guessing weíll all know more after Sea Otter.
    I believe the Rollik 557 was released in early 2016, so it gets the major update here in 2018. Since the Mayhem was released in early 2017 I would suspect that it won't get a major update until early next year if they follow the same cycle.

  85. #785
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    I believe the Rollik 557 was released in early 2016, so it gets the major update here in 2018. Since the Mayhem was released in early 2017 I would suspect that it won't get a major update until early next year if they follow the same cycle.
    That would make sense. Iím here in Nc and want to ride a Rollik to compare with a new Mach 6 and not sure what lm going to do except get to a Pivot demo all . Just wish that new Rollik came in all black (no red). I culd just buy a Santa Cruz or other common brand bike ďoff the shelfĒ at a LBS. but not sure l would be happy.

  86. #786
    mtbr member
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,067
    Not sure if this was a Mayhem or Rollik, but either way it won't make you all warm and fuzzy....... impatient viewers can skip to 7:25

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw5QQyJSyso&t=1s

  87. #787
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Not sure if this was a Mayhem or Rollik, but either way it won't make you all warm and fuzzy....... impatient viewers can skip to 7:25

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw5QQyJSyso&t=1s
    Thatís really scary, how do I know itís not gonna happen to my bike? It was definitely the Mayham 29er.

  88. #788
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    92
    Are you sure it wasn't a Rollik 607? None of the Mayhem builds come with DPX2s.

    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Thatís really scary, how do I know itís not gonna happen to my bike? It was definitely the Mayham 29er.

  89. #789
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitsu808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Not sure if this was a Mayhem or Rollik, but either way it won't make you all warm and fuzzy....... impatient viewers can skip to 7:25

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw5QQyJSyso&t=1s
    I asked Alex on the first video if they are spot and they are indeed.But I forgot to asked which model they are.After looking closely at the 2 videos he posted they are Mayhems but the Alex was on is 607

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  90. #790
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    84
    As far as l know after talking to Spot about a week ago was the Rollik 607 is the only one coming with the DPx2. Iím thinking the others riding the Spot may have been a little more precautious after witnessing his crash.

    I havent seen any updates on the Mayhem but l think the rear triangle changed but not sure bout the components.

  91. #791
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitsu808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    43
    And holy s#!t it broke right at the textreme logo

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  92. #792
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu808 View Post
    And holy s#!t it broke right at the textreme logo

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yes youíre right it does look like the New Rollik 607, It has the carbon rocker and DXP2 shock.

  93. #793
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,449
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRdWarrior View Post
    As far as l know after talking to Spot about a week ago was the Rollik 607 is the only one coming with the DPx2. Iím thinking the others riding the Spot may have been a little more precautious after witnessing his crash.

    I havent seen any updates on the Mayhem but l think the rear triangle changed but not sure bout the components.
    Why do you think the rear triangle changed?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  94. #794
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    84
    I honestly canít remember if l read that or the guys at Spot mentioned that. It could have been just the upper link now that itís carbon and retrofittbale on past Rolliks. I would anticipate at least some component refresh but not sure after checking on their site.

  95. #795
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Holy cow that was a epic crash..his bars even broke....only thing I did not understand is how come he did not swap out his pedals.

  96. #796
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Holy cow that was a epic crash..his bars even broke....only thing I did not understand is how come he did not swap out his pedals.
    I just ordered the carbon rocker from my mayhem 29, just received shipping information today. When I disassemble everything I will make sure to examine and check for any stress cracks, I just examined that area everything feels very solid no visible cracks seen at this point. I also have the DXP2 shock I recently added. Iíll give Spot a call tomorrow just to find out if thereís any information that I should be aware of.

  97. #797
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitsu808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    I just ordered the carbon rocker from my mayhem 29, just received shipping information today. When I disassemble everything I will make sure to examine and check for any stress cracks, I just examine that area everything feels very solid no visible cracks seen at this point. I also have the DXP2 shock I recently added. Iíll give Spot a call tomorrow just to find out if thereís any information that I should be aware of.
    wait what they already available?? how much is it??

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  98. #798
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,234
    150.00, it's under small parts!!

  99. #799
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitsu808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    150.00, it's under small parts!!
    Thanks and keep us updated when u have it installed.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mitsu808; 04-26-2018 at 11:02 PM.

  100. #800
    Norūwegr
    Reputation: Vegard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,788
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Not sure if this was a Mayhem or Rollik, but either way it won't make you all warm and fuzzy....... impatient viewers can skip to 7:25

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw5QQyJSyso&t=1s
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot President


    Andrew Lumpkin from Spot here.

    First of all, weíre grateful that Alex is okay. Rider safety is our utmost concern and whenever anyone crashes, regardless of cause, it makes us all pause and hope that the rider is healthy.

    Regarding the break, we are currently investigating all possibilities of causality, which are manifold. We became aware of the situation on the same day of the crash. We take these situations extremely seriously so we called Alex and Steve immediately, even though we were very busy at Sea Otter. Alex gave us limited information so that he could protect his story and his sensational reveal.

    All of our bikes are tested to exceed ISO standards, EN standards and, in addition, meet our stringent in-house standards. Relating to this break, we test our frames to failure in a machine that puts over 3,000 lbf vertical force through the bottom bracket while allowing the axles to move in any directionóitís designed to replicate the worst-case huck-to-flat scenario. In addition to testing all of our frames to optimize structure, and ultimately, failure mode, we test many competitorsí frames in the same ASTM intended use levels to ensure that we exceed their results. Yes, we buy premium carbon frames (many brands mentioned in this thread) at retail and destroy them to study the results and better our frames. Itís an expensive exercise that is well worth the cost.

    In our initial analysis, one issue is apparentóthe shock was grossly under-pressured and the compression under-damped. It should have had approximately 60psi (33%) more pressure in the shock! Although it had been reported that he hadnít been bottoming out, many frames in the footage show that the o-ring was off or at least at the end of its travel. Only yesterday were we privy to this additional evidence. Itís up to the rider to notice and remedy such a setup issue. Alexís intuition was that something was wrong, but he continued to send it.

    The purpose of a spring-damper unit is to absorb the energy from the trail or the rider when riding in uneven terrain. If the spring-damper unit is under-inflated and under-damped, it prevents the spring damper unit from absorbing enough of the energy to protect the frame. With this inadequate setup/trail conditions, if you repeatedly deliver a high spike load to the frame, it will likely fail. We hereby explicitly state that if you ride any of our bikes with such inadequate setup, sooner or later expect the same result. Ask any other manufacturer/expert in the field, and they will tell you EXACTLY THE SAME THING. If the frame is not protected from severe bottom-out events, all bets are offóTHE FRAME WILL FAIL EVENTUALLY. Have we had a few broken frames since we started selling them two years ago? Of course. Who hasnít? Thereís nothing new here; this is basic physics. There is nothing inferior about our frames.

    Then thereís the next factor: the [at least] three crashes on rocky terrain. As we all learned with the famous Minnaar crash last year, crazy things happen in crashes, even to downhill bikes. To define this bike as brand new is misleading due to these crashes and entirely inadequate air pressure and damping setup with the severe riding conditions.

    Riding aggressive trails aggressively requires suspension adjustments to protect yourself and your equipment. One very important lesson thatís apparent is to always inspect your bike (frame and components) thoroughly, especially when you suspect that something is wrong. This final crash was avoidable. Again, we are extremely grateful that Alex is okay. We will report back when our investigation is complete.

    -Andrew
    Can't say the response makes me more of a fan. Granted the first crackly sound in the video should have warranted a stop and check of the bike by the rider.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Spot brand rollik557
    By mwthomsen in forum 27.5
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 6 Days Ago, 10:10 AM
  2. New Spot Mayhem
    By bogeydog in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-13-2017, 10:42 PM
  3. Spot Brand Cream
    By monogod in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 09-01-2014, 09:15 AM
  4. Spot Brand B6
    By 202cycle in forum 27.5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM
  5. spot Brand sizing
    By b2b2 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Members who have read this thread: 717

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.