Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have DI2 on mind. No problem with routing, but I have a housing I got from the hardware store for a sprinkler system. It's black and the DI2 housing fits in it. I wanted to protect the little wire as it runs across from the swingarm to the rear.
    No where to put the battery. I have mine in the steertube. Everything works well. The housing looks good, but don't know of a real clean way for the battery without using Tharsis system. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    One of the engineers at Spot had the DI2 on his Mayhem for a while(he still might). I demoed it once with the DI2. You could shoot the Spot guys an email and inquire about it. I don't remember much about how it was set up as it all seemed like black magic to me.
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    One of the engineers at Spot had the DI2 on his Mayhem for a while(he still might). I demoed it once with the DI2. You could shoot the Spot guys an email and inquire about it. I don't remember much about how it was set up as it all seemed like black magic to me.
    I shot Spot a email, Paul got back to me and is going to send me some pictures of how he did it on Monday.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Hey guys, thinking of a frame up build and have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you guys with a bunch of miles on yours can answer:

1) Anyone have any weird creaks, clunks or clicks coming from the pivots or leaf spring after many miles of use? Or any other annoying noises of issues with the frame in general?

2) Is the internal cable routing fully molded or just open? EZ or pain in the arse to route shifter/dropper cables?

3) Any other issues that you want to tell me about would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Hey guys, thinking of a frame up build and have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you guys with a bunch of miles on yours can answer:

1) Anyone have any weird creaks, clunks or clicks coming from the pivots or leaf spring after many miles of use? Or any other annoying noises of issues with the frame in general?

2) Is the internal cable routing fully molded or just open? EZ or pain in the arse to route shifter/dropper cables?

3) Any other issues that you want to tell me about would be appreciated!
    No noise on mine after 8 months. Internal is pretty easy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a Rollik - but over a year in all kinds of conditions - not a sound from suspension or any other creaks for that matter

Internal routing is all sleeved on the inside of these frames so push it in one end - comes out the other...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    After reading through this thread and all of the positive comments, it looks like a Mayhem may be making it's home in Montana!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    According to Paul from Spot, the max chainring size is 34 when round and 32 when oval. Has anyone tried putting a 34 oval on this frame though? (In XL? I don't know if frame size should make a difference...)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ordered a large, hot tomato, Mayhem 29'er 5 Star build with a 36mm Fox 140 fork today. Should be riding sometime around the first of February! Great people to work with. Looking forward to the bike's arrival!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by olivierhacking View Post
    According to Paul from Spot, the max chainring size is 34 when round and 32 when oval. Has anyone tried putting a 34 oval on this frame though? (In XL? I don't know if frame size should make a difference...)
    Hope someone can comment.

Also, can anyone compare the Mayhem with the Orbea Occam TR 2018? Maybe somebody who has demo'ed both bikes?

mtbr member
    So I'm looking for a chain guide with bash, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm really not sure what fits..I use a 30T chainring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    So I'm looking for a chain guide with bash, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm really not sure what fits..I use a 30T chainring.
    Maybe Absolute Black

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I am running MRP. Works perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I can comment on this. Currently riding a size Large Mayhem sporting an Absolute Black 34t oval on Next SL cranks. Tried a Wolftooth first but offset was such that it couldn't clear the chainstay. Note, I did have to offset the BB over to the drive side to create the space. Haven't run into any issues whatsoever and I check on the regular.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_0064.jpg  

Last edited by Joyvagen; 01-15-2018 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Pic added

mtbr member
    Find me a Rocker SS frameset that's not $1,200 on the blem list pls
    Nature never said one thing, and wisdom another...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyvagen View Post
    I can comment on this. Currently riding a size Large Mayhem sporting an Absolute Black 34t oval on Next SL cranks. Tried a Wolftooth first but offset was such that it couldn't clear the chainstay. Note, I did have to offset the BB over to the drive side to create the space. Haven't run into any issues whatsoever and I check on the regular.
    Thanks for that! That does look like it's a very close call. Do you happen to know what chainline you have now to allow for the 34T oval?
    For me, the oval didn't feel so different at all. The only thing I noticed is that climbing was a bit smoother, and I could stick to a heavier gear. I also hope the reduced knee stress counts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for that! That does look like it's a very close call. Do you happen to know what chainline you have now to allow for the 34T oval?
    For me, the oval didn't feel so different at all. The only thing I noticed is that climbing was a bit smoother, and I could stick to a heavier gear. I also hope the reduced knee stress counts.
    Looks like I only had to move it over 3mm or so (standard 2.5mm BB spacer plus a .5/1mm not quite sure). But with the cinch preload spacer backed off, there's plenty of room on the spindle. Same experience with the Oval as far as climbing. Beyond that couldn't tell ya anything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Mayhem. Unfortunately, like most, I'm not going to have a opportunity to demo one before I buy. Any input how Living Link compares to DW link, VPP or Switch Infinity? I've owned a couple of Ibis DW link bikes (Ripley and Mojo SL) and it is, by far, my favorite suspension design. Love how it sits high in the travel, doesn't wallow on the climbs and still is poppy on the downs. I've also owned a Santa Cruz Blur and have spent quite a bit of time on the Hightower and Hightower LT. Just not a fan. Can never get the back end to feel like I'd like. I also have some demo time on Yeti's SB 5.5 with SI, which I really liked. However, the 160/140 travel is just too much for my local trails. For those that have some time on the Mayhem and experience with DW, VPP or SI bikes how'd you say they compare?
    Last edited by ripn; 01-20-2018 at 01:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Mayhem. Unfortunately, like most, I'm not going to have a opportunity to demo one before I buy. Any input how Living Link compares to DW link, VPP or Switch Infinity? I've owned a couple of Ibis DW link bikes (Ripley and Mojo SL) and it is, by far, my favorite suspension design. Love how it sits high in the travel, doesn't wallow on the climbs and still is poppy on the downs. I've also owned a Santa Cruz Blur and have spent quite a bit of time on the Hightower and Hightower LT. Just not a fan. Can never get the back end to feel like I'd like. I also have some demo time on Yeti's SB 5.5 with SI, which I really liked, but the 160/140 travel is just too much for my local trails. For those that have some time on the Mayhem and experience with DW, VPP or SI bikes how'd you say they compare?
    I've owned Turner DW bikes (5-spot, Sultan, and Czar) and like the DW design for the same reasons you mentioned. Last summer I switched to a Mayhem without being able to demo and I am quite pleased running it with a 140.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Mayhem. Unfortunately, like most, I'm not going to have a opportunity to demo one before I buy. Any input how Living Link compares to DW link, VPP or Switch Infinity? I've owned a couple of Ibis DW link bikes (Ripley and Mojo SL) and it is, by far, my favorite suspension design. Love how it sits high in the travel, doesn't wallow on the climbs and still is poppy on the downs. I've also owned a Santa Cruz Blur and have spent quite a bit of time on the Hightower and Hightower LT. Just not a fan. Can never get the back end to feel like I'd like. I also have some demo time on Yeti's SB 5.5 with SI, which I really liked. However, the 160/140 travel is just too much for my local trails. For those that have some time on the Mayhem and experience with DW, VPP or SI bikes how'd you say they compare?
    I have had many bikes including a Tallboy 2, Mojo 3 and Following. The Spot climbs better than all of them. It's more like the Evil in chatter, but more plush and bottomless in the drops.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I guess Spot is kinda pushing for the full builds as opposed to the frame option. From a value prospective anyways. .At 2800 plus tax and shipping your up about 3100 in Cali. I can get into a lot of more established and highly regarded frames for about $500 less.
    Also I do not understand specing the mavic wheels and tires when there are better options. Mavic wheels have been terrible...must be cheap to spec.
    I am interested in the suspension but for direct sales the price needs to come down on the frame for those of us who build our own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    I guess Spot is kinda pushing for the full builds as opposed to the frame option. From a value prospective anyways. .At 2800 plus tax and shipping your up about 3100 in Cali. I can get into a lot of more established and highly regarded frames for about $500 less.
    Also I do not understand specing the mavic wheels and tires when there are better options. Mavic wheels have been terrible...must be cheap to spec.
    I am interested in the suspension but for direct sales the price needs to come down on the frame for those of us who build our own.
    Exactly what I was thinking regarding the frame only option....

dmo
    mtbr member
    You should try asking. When I got my frame I asked if there were any promotions (it was last fall). I wasn't expecting anything but they sold me a frame for 2800 (this was when they were priced at 3200) and did 50% off shipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    You should try asking. When I got my frame I asked if there were any promotions (it was last fall). I wasn't expecting anything but they sold me a frame for 2800 (this was when they were priced at 3200) and did 50% off shipping.

Correct

I also paid less than 3k delivered for a frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rom3n,
    I know you have ridden a lot of the latest bikes. How is the spot compared to the Yeti 5.5? Or Hightower?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Rom3n,
    I know you have ridden a lot of the latest bikes. How is the spot compared to the Yeti 5.5? Or Hightower?
    I've demoed all of those and the Pivot 5.5, T429, Rocky Element, Trek 9.9, Spec Enduro and I thought the Mayhem was head and shoulders better. My priority was a great pedaling bike and in that arena there was no comparison.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    I have a Rollik - but over a year in all kinds of conditions - not a sound from suspension or any other creaks for that matter

Internal routing is all sleeved on the inside of these frames so push it in one end - comes out the other...
    Dropper is not sleeved but pull through from the front to the seat tube with no BB on to help make the bend and it's easy.

MSH
    mtbr member
    You should try asking...
    ^^^ This. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was able to pre-order mine back in December at the $2499 price and Paul knocked another $100 off since they were out of Larges (which they still are...supposedly early Feb on shipment). I think they are out of the Red in XL's as well

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Well then we guess you will lose out on a great bike.

The Mavic wheels (carbon) are great wheels and applauded by many. Check out the reviews.

MSH
    mtbr member
    With regards to wheels I know Spot has recently been showing some Enves on their Instagram feed on the Mayhem. Not sure if this will be a potential option and/or this signals there are some changes coming on that front? Have to imagine (at least with Enve builds) those will be reserved for the 6 star build (maybe the 5). One option to discuss with Paul would just be substituting the Stans Arch S1 wheels on the 4 star (assuming you are going 29) and see if they would give a $ break on the 5 or 6 star build? These guys seem fairly flexible where they can be when I have talked to them

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah I would snap those arch wheels like a pretzel. I am an I9 and 32 spoke Nox Farlow or Kitsima type guy. Beefy carbon with fast engagement. Looking at the builds there is no point in a full build as I would change most everything..I rather build my own as I have for roughly 15 years. You really get to know what works that way.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Yeah I would snap those arch wheels like a pretzel. I am an I9 and 32 spoke Nox Farlow or Kitsima type guy. Beefy carbon with fast engagement. Looking at the builds there is no point in a full build as I would change most everything..I rather build my own as I have for roughly 15 years. You really get to know what works that way.
    I'm with you thats why I always build frame up. You mentioned your disdain for the Mavics in your post so assumed you were looking at full builds. My intent with that statement is that you could get the cheap wheels, sell them, and build your own.

Edit - my bad...see now that you were looking at frame only in that post. You were just calling out the Mavics as lousy wheel spec. At any rate, worth a call into Paul to see if you can get a better deal on the frame only?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    PSA ...No affiliation just an occasional customer but Golden Bike Shop has some good deals on 1 new Mayhem and demo program bikes

https://www.goldenbikeshop.com/sale/...t-brand-demos/

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the advice. Might look into pricing in a few weeks after business travel. On the Mavics yeah I had a bad experience with a set I had awhile back and swore never again. I checked the specs on the carbon and they are not impressive for my needs to narrow not much info on hubs engagement and 24 spoked...blah.

mtbr member
    Rom3n,
    Im building it up now and plan to ride it this weekend with 140 and 150 fork. I will let you know my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Current Spots on sale making room for new?

Does anyone know if the current bikes are just sold out or if they have an update expected in the coming weeks/months?

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyRdWarrior View Post
    Current Spots on sale making room for new?

Does anyone know if the current bikes are just sold out or if they have an update expected in the coming weeks/months?
    I thought only Rolliks were on sale. My understanding is that the Rollik is due for a update, so the current ones are on sale. I donít think there are any changes on the Mayhem. The Larges and XL in red just sold out. New frames due next month.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Theyíre both great looking bikes (Rollik,Mayhem) and l must have seen a Ď16 on sale via JensonUSA or other site. Wish l had a dealer or demo in NC or near me for Iím looking heavily at the Mach 5.5 or 6 currently. Just wish Spot had a build option with the Fox 36 Factory
    Last edited by RockyRdWarrior; 01-27-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Misspelling

MSH
    mtbr member
    Theyíre both great looking bikes (Rollik,Mayhem) and l must have seen a Ď16 on sale via JensonUSA or other site. Wish l had a dealer or demo in NC or near me for Iím looking heavily at the Mach 5.5 or 6 currently. Just wish Spot had a build option with the Fox 36 Factory
    I think what you are seeing is dealers from last year discounting cause Spot has gone consumer direct for 2018. On the Fox 36 call Paul and talk to him about that option. I thought some had made that upgrade with them that went full builds. I only have a Mayhem frame on preorder so not 100% sure

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    MSH, thanks for the info! Iíll def give Paul a call and see what my options are. I was thinking they went consumer direct recently for l remember the pricing being a bit higher early last spring.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Has anyone played around with the red highlights on the black frame? The frame looks amazing but am thinking of how to mask the red color somehow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Definitely call Paul.
    I have a Mayhem 5 Star build on order and I had them add the Fox Factory 36 to my build!!

FAT CHANCE!
    Was there an up charge on price for the 36 option?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roy harley View Post
    Was there an up charge on price for the 36 option?
    If I remember correctly, it is only available on the 5 & 6 star builds, because they start with the Factory Fork, and I believe it was an additional $150. You may want to verify that with somebody at Spot.

FAT CHANCE!
    Ok. Yeah i had looked at other part upgrades on a 5 Star build. I asked about getting carbon wheels on the 5 Star build and I just remember it was a lot more cost effective to look at the 6 Star build than to add that option to a 5 Star build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rlbruski View Post
    If I remember correctly, it is only available on the 5 & 6 star builds, because they start with the Factory Fork, and I believe it was an additional $150. You may want to verify that with somebody at Spot.
    Just ordered a 4 star build with the Fox 36 upgrade. It was $300 up charge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Edited
    Last edited by rhynohead; 02-01-2018 at 12:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Just ordered a 4 star build with the Fox 36 upgrade. It was $300 up charge.
    Can anybody comment on the Fox 34 vs the Fox 36 option? I think on the 4 star build it is only $150 more. I will be buying for my wife who is not a heavy or aggressive rider, but might be using it occasionally myself, I am 160lbs and not an especially aggressive rider either, so not sure if it would be necessary/ worth the extra weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post
    Can anybody comment on the Fox 34 vs the Fox 36 option? I think on the 4 star build it is only $150 more. I will be buying for my wife who is not a heavy or aggressive rider, but might be using it occasionally myself, I am 160lbs and not an especially aggressive rider either, so not sure if it would be necessary/ worth the extra weight.
    My main consideration was wanting a 140mm travel fork. Spot isn't offering the longer travel 34. As an added bonus, I get the burlier, Factory edition that allows me to run 29 or 27.5+ wheels without messing with a headset spacer. For me, the $300 upgrade was a no brainer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post
    Go Fox 34

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Go Fox 34

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My main consideration was wanting a 140mm travel fork. Spot isn't offering the longer travel 34. As an added bonus, I get the burlier, Factory edition that allows me to run 29 or 27.5+ wheels without messing with a headset spacer. For me, the $300 upgrade was a no brainer.
    Get the 140mm Fox air shaft. Shouldn't be 100 to install. That is assuming you get the 29er fork. Then you can run 29 or 27.5 plus Wheels as well without spacer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Get the 140mm Fox air shaft. Shouldn't be 100 to install. That is assuming you get the 29er fork. Then you can run 29 or 27.5 plus Wheels as well without spacer.

Yep, that is definitely an option. For me, the burlier fork and Fit vs Grip damper is worth the cash. For the OP's wife, the 34 would probably be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Tell me more about this air shaft upgrade. It changes the travel from 130mm to 140mm, but what do you adjust when you swap wheels? Or do you just run it as 140mm for both wheels and don't change anything?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpath View Post
    Tell me more about this air shaft upgrade. It changes the travel from 130mm to 140mm, but what do you adjust when you swap wheels? Or do you just run it as 140mm for both wheels and don't change anything?
    Yes it just is a shaft replacement that changes travel from 130 to 140. The way Spot has its 27.5 plus setup is to use a spacer under the fork tube so it raises the bottom bracket and corrects geo. Then, if you want to go 29, remove spacer. That's a pain. If you speak with the guys at Spot, they generally like the 140mm fork better. I didn't want to switch spacers, so I went the 140mm to begin with so effectively its the same as the 27.5 plus with a 130mm, but adds 10mm to the 29er fork. This raised the bottom bracket too which is a good thing for my area of riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Then what do you do with the 29er wheels? If you didn't do anything it would be like running the 29er setup with the spacer right? With a slacker HT angle and higher BB.

Yes it just is a shaft replacement that changes travel from 130 to 140. The way Spot has its 27.5 plus setup is to use a spacer under the fork tube so it raises the bottom bracket and corrects geo. Then, if you want to go 29, remove spacer. That's a pain. If you speak with the guys at Spot, they generally like the 140mm fork better. I didn't want to switch spacers, so I went the 140mm to begin with so effectively its the same as the 27.5 plus with a 130mm, but adds 10mm to the 29er fork. This raised the bottom bracket too which is a good thing for my area of riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Then what do you do with the 29er wheels? If you didn't do anything it would be like running the 29er setup with the spacer right? With a slacker HT angle and higher BB.
    In my case, I run either 29 or 27.5 plus all with the same fork. The 140mm with 29er works great and is preferred by many people.

Do you want to run 29 or 27.5 plus?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Both. Just want to switch between them with minimal hassle. Like it would have been cool if the bottom spacer could separate into 2 halves so it could be removed without taking the fork and stem off.

Currently running the 27.5+ with the 130mm and spacer.

In my case, I run either 29 or 27.5 plus all with the same fork. The 140mm with 29er works great and is preferred by many people.

Do you want to run 29 or 27.5 plus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Both. Just want to switch between them with minimal hassle. Like it would have been cool if the bottom spacer could separate into 2 halves so it could be removed without taking the fork and stem off.

Currently running the 27.5+ with the 130mm and spacer.
    Just replace the air shaft with 140mm and problems solved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That's the beauty of running the 140mm fork. Pick the wheels size you want to ride that day, slap them on and go. No spacers to mess with. I already have a nice set of carbon 29er wheels, so actually ordered the 27.5+ version so I would have both wheel sets available. I expect I will run it in 29er mode most of the time, but great to have the + option for the sandy, blown out trails I frequently ride in the summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Of course the other option would be to just run 29er wheels with the 130mm and spacer. Iíd think that would give you the same geo as the 140mm fork (without the spacer) when in 29er mode. Just wouldnít have the extra travel up front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Anyone with both sets of wheels ever run the 29er in front and the 27.5+ in the back? How did it work out?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I tried it on my Hightower it was good but with the 150 fork and the taller wheel and tire height it was a bit slack. You really had to purposely weight the front wheel into turns and ride it more aggressively. It did wonder a bit more on climbs also. I think the HA was around 66. Geo is close on the spot so I would expect it to behave similarly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What stem lengths are you guys running? NSMB says the 60/760 combo works super well. I am thinking for more XC terrain to use a 80mm stem and when heading to the mountains, the standard 60mm or maybe even shorter. However that would make the the bike feel a bit short I think...

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I am running 60/760 on my Mayhem. It fits me very well and the bike rides great!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Pink Bike review. Not horrible, but not glowing either. Ring true to owners?
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/spot-mayhem-review.html

mtbr member
    Pink Bike review. Not horrible, but not glowing either. Ring true to owners?
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/spot-mayhem-review.html
    I found that the bike is noticeably more stable with a 140 36 fork in the rough. I personally think the bike needs a 140 fork standard if you intend to use it as an all mountain bike. After riding the bike with a 140-150 36 I could not imagine going back to a 130 34. I also think the suspension design can benefit from a shock like the X2 that offers a lot of control over setup. I only have 1 ride on the X2 but I can already tell it is a noticeable upgrade over the stock shock. My personal opinion is that depending on how you intend to use this bike suspension options should be considered.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    I found that the bike is noticeably more stable with a 140 36 fork in the rough. I personally think the bike needs a 140 fork standard if you intend to use it as an all mountain bike. After riding the bike with a 140-150 36 I could not imagine going back to a 130 34. I also think the suspension design can benefit from a shock like the X2 that offers a lot of control over setup. I only have 1 ride on the X2 but I can already tell it is a noticeable upgrade over the stock shock. My personal opinion is that depending on how you intend to use this bike suspension options should be considered.
    I agree.

I also have a 140mm Pike and X2 on my Mayhem. Only a short ride but I can tell it's a great improvement

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

What gave me the most pause was the review of rear suspension performance. The combo of harsh bottoming and overly stiff, inactive climbing doesnít seem like a winner. Also seems contrary to reviews Iíve read elsewhere. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    What gave me the most pause was the review of rear suspension performance. The combo of harsh bottoming and overly stiff, inactive climbing doesnít seem like a winner. Also seems contrary to reviews Iíve read elsewhere. Thoughts?
    I have demoed the rollick and the Mayhem, and I really like the way the suspension system worked, but like anything else it has pros and cons. I currently ride a '16 stump jumper with FSR suspension and it rides the complete opposite of these bikes, very active and plush but wallows in the mid stroke, not as poppy, bobs when pedaling. Living link on the other hand has a super firm pedaling platform and rockets uphill, then on bigger hits the leaf spring relaxes and it feels more "plush". I love how the living link has a firm mid stroke for pumping and popping off of things. I would agree that the downside to such a firm pedaling platform is its not as active over techy climbs. Like any platform there is a give and take. I did not experience the bottoming out like the two north shore riders did but probably don't ride as aggressive or ride the same type of trails. They both did say they solved it with bigger spacers. My wife loved the mayhem 27.5+, the big tires might provide a little more traction and plush feel the the suspension lacks providing a good combo, which is what the bible of bike reviewers seemed to imply.

mtbr member

The reviewer and I aren't riding the same bike at all. I've had mine since June or so and have ridden it all over Colorado, Utah and New Mexico. My main trails are chunky. Check out Nate Hills follow cam stuff on Dakota Ridge, White Ranch and Deer Creek to get an idea. I'm roughly the same size as the pinkbike guy but 20lbs heavier. I'm also a hack. I seem to pick the worst lines possible so I don't miss any rocks and I ride pretty fast(well down at least). I blow through tires, I don't trust any tires under 1000 grams.

I'm not feeling the rear bottom out. I'm using all my travel but I never feel it bottom. I also find it stays glued to the trail, up and down. Before the Mayhem I had a HD3(float x2) and before that a Bronson(CC DBAir CS), so big travel bikes with nice shocks. The Mayhem stays on the trail much better than those two did and while I gave up about an inch of travel I don't notice it at all. I ran the DPS for about 6 months and recently got the DPX2, honestly both work great and I'm not sure if the DPX2 is worth spending the dough to upgrade.

Unless the reviewer is doing huge drops which would bottom out anything I have no idea how we are discussing the same bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    The reviewer and I aren't riding the same bike at all. I've had mine since June or so and have ridden it all over Colorado, Utah and New Mexico. My main trails are chunky. Check out Nate Hills follow cam stuff on Dakota Ridge, White Ranch and Deer Creek to get an idea. I'm roughly the same size as the pinkbike guy but 20lbs heavier. I'm also a hack. I seem to pick the worst lines possible so I don't miss any rocks and I ride pretty fast(well down at least). I blow through tires, I don't trust any tires under 1000 grams.

I'm not feeling the rear bottom out. I'm using all my travel but I never feel it bottom. I also find it stays glued to the trail, up and down. Before the Mayhem I had a HD3(float x2) and before that a Bronson(CC DBAir CS), so big travel bikes with nice shocks. The Mayhem stays on the trail much better than those two did and while I gave up about an inch of travel I don't notice it at all. I ran the DPS for about 6 months and recently got the DPX2, honestly both work great and I'm not sure if the DPX2 is worth spending the dough to upgrade.

Unless the reviewer is doing huge drops which would bottom out anything I have no idea how we are discussing the same bike.
    Agreed. However I have the DPX2 and love it. Drops are plush and pedaling is second to none. Also I don't understand the tech climb part of the review. I have had many of the newest bikes and this thing motors right up anything. I ride rocky and rooty east coast stuff.

mtbr member
    I think it was a good review, and agree it needs to be ridden with a 140, it just makes more sense when swapping from 27.5+ and 29er.

for my trails and the way I ride, its the perfect bike for me, but I still wanna try a Norco Sight...
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If Norco can figure out how to make their frames last ,I may give them as second chance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just a thought on shocks the DVO topaz may be worth a look if your craving mid stoke plushness..it has a large tunable air can that offers minimal mid stroke support.

mtbr member
    After reading that review I never noticed the bottle cage mount on the bottom of the down tube..
    Speaking of cage mounts what kind of cage do you guys use to fit into the top one? I have a Lezyne side load cage but I still can't get a bottle to fit without any rubbing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Specialized Zee cage, but it will only fit a standard bottle, not a large bottle. (Size L frame) I've since added another Zee cage under the DT and use the top one to carry a tool cage.

After reading that review I never noticed the bottle cage mount on the bottom of the down tube..
    Speaking of cage mounts what kind of cage do you guys use to fit into the top one? I have a Lezyne side load cage but I still can't get a bottle to fit without any rubbing.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Can't speak for it quite yet because I'm still waiting for my Large backordered frame to come in but I plan to use the same one Ibis recommended(Arundal OtherSideloader). I had them on my old Ibis Ripley & HD3. Both had tight space and the Arundels worked great. Never dropped a bottle. Anyway, I should be headed up to Golden on Monday to pick up my frame so I'll report back if it works

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    Can't speak for it quite yet because I'm still waiting for my Large backordered frame to come in but I plan to use the same one Ibis recommended(Arundal OtherSideloader). I had them on my old Ibis Ripley & HD3. Both had tight space and the Arundels worked great. Never dropped a bottle. Anyway, I should be headed up to Golden on Monday to pick up my frame so I'll report back if it works
    My large frame is supposed to arrive at Spot tomorrow and build/ship next week. Anybody else waiting?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice look forward to see your builds. How tall are you guys on the larges?

MSH
    mtbr member
    - My build will be a mix of old parts from my old OG Ripley (Derby/I9 wheels w/ Boostinator conversion, OG XX1 1x11 complete w/ creaky rear drl) and new stuff (MRP Ribbon Air 140, PNW Components Bachelor dropper)
    - Still can't decide on color. Will be a gametime decision once I'm at Spot HQ on Monday. Every carbon bike I've owned has been black so was thinking try something different. I've kind of gone full circle..wanted black, then red, now leaning back to just getting same old black
    - I'm 6' but all legs with 34.5" inseam

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    5í11". Itís the stock 4 star build with the Fox 36 upgrade. Iím plus curious, so ordered it in that flavor, but plan to run the Roval Fattie SL 29er wheels (with the boost adapters)off of my Ripley most of the time. Really looking forward to riding the red beast!
    Last edited by ripn; 02-09-2018 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Specialized Zee cage, but it will only fit a standard bottle, not a large bottle. (Size L frame) I've since added another Zee cage under the DT and use the top one to carry a tool cage.
    Thanks, its going to bug me though if I need to use something from the evil empire on my bike...lol
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My large frame is supposed to arrive at Spot tomorrow and build/ship next week. Anybody else waiting?
    I was anxiously waiting for my large red sled, but unfortunately a multitude of unexpected expenses struck, so I had to cancel my order at the last minute. Not cancelled forever, but for now!
    By the way, if anybody with a large Mayhem needs an ultra-duty skid plate from Cytoe Industries, I have one that I ordered for the bike I was waiting for. I paid $46.00, including shipping. Will ship it anywhere in the lower 48 for $38.00. Brand new, never installed!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    - My build will be a mix of old parts from my old OG Ripley (Derby/I9 wheels w/ Boostinator conversion, OG XX1 1x11 complete w/ creaky rear drl) and new stuff (MRP Ribbon Air 140, PNW Components Bachelor dropper)
    - Still can't decide on color. Will be a gametime decision once I'm at Spot HQ on Monday. Every carbon bike I've owned has been black so was thinking try something different. I've kind of gone full circle..wanted black, then red, now leaning back to just getting same old black
    - I'm 6' but all legs with 34.5" inseam
    Sooo, what did you decide on, red or black? Was on the fence myself, but I've heard red bikes are faster.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Sooo, what did you decide on, red or black? Was on the fence myself, but I've heard red bikes are faster.
    Unfortunately, no decision yet! I talked to Paul this AM over chat and frames were still en route so earliest pick up is tomorrow. I'm hoping to get in there on Thursday now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Well, that's a bummer. I emailed Paul on Friday and he told me the frames were in. Perhaps not? Still hoping mine gets out this week. Leaving town next Tuesday and hoping to get a shake down cruise in before I go.

mtbr member
    I am about 5'9 1/2" with a 31ish" inseam and on a large. Its great because with the 150mm dropper it slams the seat to the frame. I'm running a 35mm steam on 800 enve bars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam as well and went medium. At first, w/steep seat tube I felt a little cramped, but it soon felt very good. Sure I could have made a large work too. FYI, if anyone needs a medium build, I'm forced to sell right now. Just listed on Pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Hey guys I just saw a red Mayhem frame in Large on eBay, starting bid is 1500.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Have you guys been receiving your new bikes/frames?
    If so, any current ride reports/reviews?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Quote Originally Posted by rlbruski View Post
    Have you guys been receiving your new bikes/frames?
    If so, any current ride reports/reviews?
    Still waiting on mine.
    Honestly, itís been a bit of a sh*t show.
    Initially the bike was supposed to ship first week of February. Emailed mid week to get a status update. Was told frames werenít in yet but would be by Friday. Checked back in on Friday, frames were in and bike would ship Wednesday. Sweet!

Hadnít heard anything by mid day Tuesday so checked in again. Was told it would be out by Friday.

Sent emails both Thursday and Friday for a status check and got no response. At this point I was getting a little annoyed.

Tuesday finally get a fed ex tracking number showing ď label createdĒ. By mid day Wednesday the tracking hadnít updated showing the package moving, still stuck at label created.

By late yesterday, still hadnít heard anything from Spot so checked my account on Spotís website. It showed another (new) tracking number. That one finally updates and shows the bike has been picked up.

Iím less irritated about the delay in shipping (stuff happens) than I am about the lack of updates/communication from Spot. I understand they are new to the direct to consumer game and I am sure they are working their asses off trying to get bikes out the door. That said, only takes a minute to drop an email keeping customers in the loop.

Iím still excited to ride my Mayhem, but have to say the buying/delivery/customer support process leaves something to be desired.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Still waiting on mine.
    Honestly, itís been a bit of a sh*t show.
    Initially the bike was supposed to ship first week of February. Emailed mid week to get a status update. Was told frames werenít in yet but would be by Friday. Checked back in on Friday, frames were in and bike would ship Wednesday. Sweet!

Hadnít heard anything by mid day Tuesday so checked in again. Was told it would be out by Friday.

Sent emails both Thursday and Friday for a status check and got no response. At this point I was getting a little annoyed.

Tuesday finally get a fed ex tracking number showing ď label createdĒ. By mid day Wednesday the tracking hadnít updated showing the package moving, still stuck at label created.

By late yesterday, still hadnít heard anything from Spot so checked my account on Spotís website. It showed another (new) tracking number. That one finally updates and shows the bike has been picked up.

Iím less irritated about the delay in shipping (stuff happens) than I am about the lack of updates/communication from Spot. I understand they are new to the direct to consumer game and I am sure they are working their asses off trying to get bikes out the door. That said, only takes a minute to drop an email keeping customers in the loop.

Iím still excited to ride my Mayhem, but have to say the buying/delivery/customer support process leaves something to be desired.
    Be patient. You'll be happy in the end.

My guess is they are growing and having a hard time keeping up demand and maybe have issues with staff to keep up with everything.

If you want a different experience get a Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Be patient. You'll be happy in the end.

My guess is they are growing and having a hard time keeping up demand and maybe have issues with staff to keep up with everything.

If you want a different experience get a Santa Cruz.

Yep, I agree. Clearly some growing pains.

mtbr member
    If anyone is in the market for a med red Mayhem hit me up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Dang I need a Large..Anyone got a large for sale.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Dang I need a Large..Anyone got a large for sale.
    One on ebay right now. 5 days left. Seller has perfect feedback with over 1k transactions..https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spot-Mayhem...UAAOSw5Ztagh49

FAT CHANCE!
    One on ebay right now. 5 days left. Seller has perfect feedback with over 1k transactions..https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spot-Mayhem...UAAOSw5Ztagh49
    I wonder what tires/size were used to cause the tire rub issue?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just a quick update on my previous post. Paul reached out to me via email to apologize for the lack of communication. He didn't make excuses, just owned the error and committed to doing better going forward. Couldn't possibly ask for more than that. Reaffirms my decision to buy from Spot. Oh, and my bike will be here Wednesday. Ready to cause some Mayhem!

MSH
    mtbr member
    Just a quick update on my previous post. Paul reached out to me via email to apologize for the lack of communication. He didn't make excuses, just owned the error and committed to doing better going forward. Couldn't possibly ask for more than that. Reaffirms my decision to buy from Spot. Oh, and my bike will be here Wednesday. Ready to cause some Mayhem!
    Nice! I was able to pick mine up last Friday since I'm local. Paul had, originally, told me I could pick up my frame the Monday of last week (12th), but had to push me back a couple days as well. They are definitely doing their best. When those frames arrive I believe there is some QC that has to take place and then build up with the shocks etc. When I was in there it was definitely a massive flurry of activity, so they are all running at mach chicken. Anyway, enjoy! Looking forward to building mine up shortly as well.

One other thing - as far as communication goes I was primarily using the chat feature on the Spot website starting around the beginning of Feb. It keeps a history once you start using it, so all your chat history is kept in tact. Paul was responding to most my questions pretty quickly.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast