Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ~ 160-162 pounds riding weight

Sag - approx 30% starting at 160 psi - maybe felt bottom out a couple times - added 10 psi today - didn't bottom and still felt great - maybe a shade better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    ~ 160-162 pounds riding weight

Sag - approx 30% starting at 160 psi - maybe felt bottom out a couple times - added 10 psi today - didn't bottom and still felt great - maybe a shade better.
    I had Dirtlabs set one up for me. Installed yesterday. Now they said to start with 20% sag and were fairly adamant about it. I don't know what they did internally to it, but will find out today. Steve at Spot, said to set at 25 or 30%. We discussed his setup for weight and ended up with 29%, open mode adjustment or 1 click from full left, rebound 10 clicks from closed I think. Pressure wise he said that the dpx2 has required more pressure than DPS.

Ride a familiar trail last night which is fairly XC with some chatter (successive roots). What I noticed was the pedaling and small bump was improved. Hard to describe, but I would say firm, but soft at same time. Seemed to ride higher in travel. There are only a few small jumps (12-18") so I only got into about 3/4 travel. Felt good. The sections with the successive roots felt ok, but I am playing with rebound. I had a few light pedals strikes which I will talk to them today.

Thinking I will add change sag to 25 or so and test again unless they talk me into something else.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I had Dirtlabs set one up for me. Installed yesterday. Now they said to start with 20% sag and were fairly adamant about it. I don't know what they did internally to it, but will find out today. Steve at Spot, said to set at 25 or 30%. We discussed his setup for weight and ended up with 29%, open mode adjustment or 1 click from full left, rebound 10 clicks from closed I think. Pressure wise he said that the dpx2 has required more pressure than DPS.

Ride a familiar trail last night which is fairly XC with some chatter (successive roots). What I noticed was the pedaling and small bump was improved. Hard to describe, but I would say firm, but soft at same time. Seemed to ride higher in travel. There are only a few small jumps (12-18") so I only got into about 3/4 travel. Felt good. The sections with the successive roots felt ok, but I am playing with rebound. I had a few light pedals strikes which I will talk to them today.

Thinking I will add change sag to 25 or so and test again unless they talk me into something else.

Dumb question maybe....but do you measure sag for whatever % of the 57mm of shock stroke?

I've also read sag is not so much a % but based on ride height and feel to an extent. Is this more or less true with the Mayhem?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Dumb question maybe....but do you measure sag for whatever % of the 57mm of shock stroke?

I've also read sag is not so much a % but based on ride height and feel to an extent. Is this more or less true with the Mayhem?

At 57mm, 30% sag would be 17mm. I use a set of calipers to measure.

Spot, on the DPS, said to use 85% of body weight. For me that was about 129 psi. I went with it, but never checked sag. Referencing the online Mayhem manual, that is a starting point.
    Apparently this doesn't translate to the dpx2. Steve at Spot said the dpx2 needs more air pressure to get the sag. The dpx2 is set about 160 now I think.

I will speak to Dirtlabs today and see what they did to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    My experience is w the Rollik and the kinematics are different but would concur with your feel of the DPX2... its different, better and yet the DPS and Living Link work very well.

the DPX2 does require more pressure and i was running about 148psi on the DPS and ran 170psi on the DPX2 last night.

Something just feels right and better. Coming down the last sections of Apex gut the bike was more controlled and just handled everything better... i was 2 seconds off a segment PR and I stopped with foot off for a hiker/dog - i was going to let her through but she stepped aside and told me to continue - so yeah - I'm pretty impressed with the increased feel and performance and will be ordering today. Oddly - had some uphill PR's and felt i was pedaling thru mud (prob not shock related tho).

dmo
    mtbr member
    I've been having a heck of a time getting the shock on the mayhem feeling good. For starters I'm using 27.5x2.8 wheels/tires. I'm coming off a mojo3 which I never got along with. I also have a evil insurgent with a 150mm fork that I use for trail riding too. So far I feel the evil handles tech "gnar" better than the mayhem. It doesn't give up much in terms of climbing to the mayhem. That's really a different discussion for another time or place maybe.

Back to the mayhem, I'm about 159 in full kit depending on number of layers and what I'm carrying in my pack. Based on 85% I set the shock at 134psi. I found it was too much pressure and couldn't get into the shocks travel. After a half dozen rides I opened the can and removed the .2 volume spacer to make it less progressive. This helped the shock get into the middle part of its travel. I experimented with pressure and found 127 or 128 to feel real good and efficient, almost in a xc bike kind of way. Going down to 125psi the bike felt more active but the early travel felt too spongey. Settling on 126psi seemed to be the best. However, I just can't ever get the shock to bottom out.

Maybe the bike is designed not to bottom I don't know. Or maybe I need to be riding harder faster. The trails I ride don't have lots of extended descents or climbs. I ride NE single track and ride alot in Needham Town Forest, for those of you in MA. I don't do any drops or jumps more than 2 feet.

Taking the spacer out helped alot but I still feel like the shock isn't quite right for me. I mean it feels good and the Mayhem is a great bike but maybe with the way I ride I shouldn't expect to get full travel? I'm not sure.

If I want to ride for just all out fun though I'll grab my Insurgent any day of the week.

Just my 2 cents...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I've been having a heck of a time getting the shock on the mayhem feeling good. For starters I'm using 27.5x2.8 wheels/tires. I'm coming off a mojo3 which I never got along with. I also have a evil insurgent with a 150mm fork that I use for trail riding too. So far I feel the evil handles tech "gnar" better than the mayhem. It doesn't give up much in terms of climbing to the mayhem. That's really a different discussion for another time or place maybe.

Back to the mayhem, I'm about 159 in full kit depending on number of layers and what I'm carrying in my pack. Based on 85% I set the shock at 134psi. I found it was too much pressure and couldn't get into the shocks travel. After a half dozen rides I opened the can and removed the .2 volume spacer to make it less progressive. This helped the shock get into the middle part of its travel. I experimented with pressure and found 127 or 128 to feel real good and efficient, almost in a xc bike kind of way. Going down to 125psi the bike felt more active but the early travel felt too spongey. Settling on 126psi seemed to be the best. However, I just can't ever get the shock to bottom out.

Maybe the bike is designed not to bottom I don't know. Or maybe I need to be riding harder faster. The trails I ride don't have lots of extended descents or climbs. I ride NE single track and ride alot in Needham Town Forest, for those of you in MA. I don't do any drops or jumps more than 2 feet.

Taking the spacer out helped alot but I still feel like the shock isn't quite right for me. I mean it feels good and the Mayhem is a great bike but maybe with the way I ride I shouldn't expect to get full travel? I'm not sure.

If I want to ride for just all out fun though I'll grab my Insurgent any day of the week.

Just my 2 cents...

Can't imagine that you can't get full travel on the Mayhem if you do on the Insurgent or other bike. Something just isn't right here. Are you riding the others somewhere else?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Can't imagine that you can't get full travel on the Mayhem if you do on the Insurgent or other bike. Something just isn't right here. Are you riding the others somewhere else?

Nope. I ride the insurgent almost exclusively in NTF. Occasionally I ride it in Vietnam or Mt. Pisgah.

It just rips and I do stuff I can't on any other bike. The Mayhem, not so much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Nope. I ride the insurgent almost exclusively in NTF. Occasionally I ride it in Vietnam or Mt. Pisgah.

It just rips and I do stuff I can't on any other bike. The Mayhem, not so much.

I assume you have spoken to Spot. Maybe the shock is just tuned wrong. They should be able to work something out to prove the bike.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I assume you have spoken to Spot. Maybe the shock is just tuned wrong. They should be able to work something out to prove the bike.

Just got off the phone with them. They said everything I'm doing sounds right for my terrain and how I ride. They suggested speeding rebound 1-2 clicks. I'm 5 clicks from full closed atm.

They were super helpful. Cool bike company for sure

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just got off the phone with them. They said everything I'm doing sounds right for my terrain and how I ride. They suggested speeding rebound 1-2 clicks. I'm 5 clicks from full closed atm.

They were super helpful. Cool bike company for sure

Yeah they love their customers.

Here you go. Fresh off the press.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/outerbike-te...r-trail-bike/2

dmo
    mtbr member
    So I opened my shock to take out the .2 spacer (which helped btw) but now my shock leaks oil especially if I hang the bike by the seat with the front of the bike pointing down. What did I screw up? I tightened the can by hand as much as I could. Is this normal after opening a shock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So I opened my shock to take out the .2 spacer (which helped btw) but now my shock leaks oil especially if I hang the bike by the seat with the front of the bike pointing down. What did I screw up? I tightened the can by hand as much as I could. Is this normal after opening a shock?

One of the seals likely damaged or out of place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Rode a familiar rocky and rooty track today. Dpx2 did real well. Hard to describe, but I would say it is more supportive than DPS. But not in a harsh way. The pedaling platform is better with the dpx2. This area has some really tough steep climbs. It handled it with no issue. Keep in mind I had it tuned by Dirtlabs.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Rode a familiar rocky and rooty track today. Dpx2 did real well. Hard to describe, but I would say it is more supportive than DPS. But not in a harsh way. The pedaling platform is better with the dpx2. This area has some really tough steep climbs. It handled it with no issue. Keep in mind I had it tuned by Dirtlabs.

Interesting. I spoke to Spot and they felt a Dpx2 wouldn't do anything for me as I don't ride long descents so the shock isn't heating up alot. They advised me to stick too the DPS. Having ridden both what do you think?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Interesting. I spoke to Spot and they felt a Dpx2 wouldn't do anything for me as I don't ride long descents so the shock isn't heating up alot. They advised me to stick too the DPS. Having ridden both what do you think?

Yeah they told me that as well. However Dirtlabs said it would be different and it is. However they also tuned it so that may be what is causing the difference. My original DPS also was tuned by then for the Spot. However I wouldn't order a shock tune or new one without talking to either Maverick or Spot since they both know the bike.

mtbr member
    Hey guys there is a Large Mayhem frame in Red for sale on pinkbike, just thought I would pass it along. This is actually the bike I demoed before pulling the trigger and buying a spot.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    So, someone please tell me if I was dreaming or did I get a 2018 Blk Lrg Mayhem for 5199 from Jenson last night. I haven't been looking for a deal in about 4 months since I test rode one in Golden,Co, but ran across this last night and completed the purchase. Was this a good deal or impulse buy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rvbiker View Post
    So, someone please tell me if I was dreaming or did I get a 2018 Blk Lrg Mayhem for 5199 from Jenson last night. I haven't been looking for a deal in about 4 months since I test rode one in Golden,Co, but ran across this last night and completed the purchase. Was this a good deal or impulse buy?
    that's a pretty sexy deal, if it doesn't fit you and you need to sell let me know

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Sweet, will do. It was the 5star as I left that out. Will do, but pretty sure it will fit. Need to swap the seatpost for 150 and it will be dialed in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    that's a pretty sexy deal, if it doesn't fit you and you need to sell let me know

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Jenson has Mayhem 4stars - $4499 today from $5799... dang....

dmo
    mtbr member
    Yeah they told me that as well. However Dirtlabs said it would be different and it is. However they also tuned it so that may be what is causing the difference. My original DPS also was tuned by then for the Spot. However I wouldn't order a shock tune or new one without talking to either Maverick or Spot since they both know the bike.

Hey Bogeydog, you spend any more time on the dpx2? Any more thoughts on how it compares to the DPS?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone just get an email or notice Spot just dropped their prices for Black Friday Sale week quite a bit?

$6524.00 for the 6-star build...

Definitely puts me into major temptation territory!

Curious if this is just a regular 'sale' promo or if they are clearing stock for new bikes/builds to come in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Abiding-Dude View Post
    Anyone just get an email or notice Spot just dropped their prices for Black Friday Sale week quite a bit?

$6524.00 for the 6-star build...

Definitely puts me into major temptation territory!

Curious if this is just a regular 'sale' promo or if they are clearing stock for new bikes/builds to come in.
    Just a regular sale to take advantage of the holiday buying.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey Bogeydog, you spend any more time on the dpx2? Any more thoughts on how it compares to the DPS?

Riding tonight. Will give you more afterwards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Rode a very XC oriented trail tonight so not much info. I didn't check travel used. Mostly quick ups and downs and numerous turns. Worked well. I will ride Thursday morning and likely over the weekend and will give feedback as I have it. Any specific questions?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Rode a very XC oriented trail tonight so not much info. I didn't check travel used. Mostly quick ups and downs and numerous turns. Worked well. I will ride Thursday morning and likely over the weekend and will give feedback as I have it. Any specific questions?

I suppose climbing compared to the DPS. Do you feel the extra weight. Overall tunabilty for lighter riders, 155lbs or so...

I just need to decide if I should get one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I suppose climbing compared to the DPS. Do you feel the extra weight. Overall tunabilty for lighter riders, 155lbs or so...

I just need to decide if I should get one.

I say the dpx2 climbs and pedals better. Feels like it rides higher in its travel.

I set sag at 30%. Dirtlabs wanted me to set at 20% to start. I didn't do that so I am out sure why. I need to call them and ask why and what would be the result compared to 30%. I can't tell the weight. I did install RWC needle bearings in the eyelets which I think alway helps. I had them tune it to 153 pound rider. Rebound has more settings than DPS and low speed compression has more settings.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I say the dpx2 climbs and pedals better. Feels like it rides higher in its travel.

I set sag at 30%. Dirtlabs wanted me to set at 20% to start. I didn't do that so I am out sure why. I need to call them and ask why and what would be the result compared to 30%. I can't tell the weight. I did install RWC needle bearings in the eyelets which I think alway helps. I had them tune it to 153 pound rider. Rebound has more settings than DPS and low speed compression has more settings.

I was thinking about RWC bearings but wasn't sure which ones I need. Can you share a link for which ones? Did you do both eyelets?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I was thinking about RWC bearings but wasn't sure which ones I need. Can you share a link for which ones? Did you do both eyelets?

I installed on both ends, but really it is the rear that moves the most. The rear was the 39.88mm kit. The front was the 19.05mm kit. I also got 2 sets of shims just in case. Used one set on the rear.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I installed on both ends, but really it is the rear that moves the most. The rear was the 39.88mm kit. The front was the 19.05mm kit. I also got 2 sets of shims just in case. Used one set on the rear.

Does one kit include both bearings for each eye? Did you get the bushing and bearing tools as well as the press too?

dmo
    mtbr member

And are those size bearing for the DPS or the DPX2 or do they fit both?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    And are those size bearing for the DPS or the DPX2 or do they fit both?

Fits both. I just had the shop install. I didn't want to mess with it but it's very simple.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Does one kit include both bearings for each eye? Did you get the bushing and bearing tools as well as the press too?

One kit per end of the shock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What front fork and travel is everyone riding? I currently have a 2018 Fox Factory 34 at 140mm tuned by Push. Been great in every way. I am a short guy and have trouble getting the stack down. Considering dropping travel to 130mm which may give me a little lower stack height. I already have played with stem and bar combos. I ride east coast single-track which means rocky and rooty, punchy climbs. Not too many large drops or jumps. The 140mm has been great and I don't have any reason to go 130mm other than why stated.

Thoughts?

dmo
    mtbr member
    What front fork and travel is everyone riding? I currently have a 2018 Fox Factory 34 at 140mm tuned by Push. Been great in every way. I am a short guy and have trouble getting the stack down. Considering dropping travel to 130mm which may give me a little lower stack height. I already have played with stem and bar combos. I ride east coast single-track which means rocky and rooty, punchy climbs. Not too many large drops or jumps. The 140mm has been great and I don't have any reason to go 130mm other than why stated.

Thoughts?

I have a 2018 140mm Pike on a med frame with a 40mm stem and 760mmx20mm bars. I have one 5mm spacer under the stem. It feels pretty good to me. I'm 27.5+ wheels currently while my 29er wheels get built.

I'm 5'6" and feel the stack is pretty reasonable. There have been times one other bikes when I have used a neg 6 degree rise stem (Raceface turbine), or a neg 7 degree rise stem by 3T.

Cane Creek is also making a zero stack headset, called the Slamset I think. I would look into that if you're still feeling the front is too tall. I usually have the same issue and always slam my stem. If I need to go lower I'm getting the Slamset.

Hope that helps.

Btw, I'm planning to call Dirtlabs about the dpx2. Can't ride my Mayhem now anyway as I busted a spoke on my last ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have a 2018 140mm Pike on a med frame with a 40mm stem and 760mmx20mm bars. I have one 5mm spacer under the stem. It feels pretty good to me. I'm 27.5+ wheels currently while my 29er wheels get built.

I'm 5'6" and feel the stack is pretty reasonable. There have been times one other bikes when I have used a neg 6 degree rise stem (Raceface turbine), or a neg 7 degree rise stem by 3T.

Cane Creek is also making a zero stack headset, called the Slamset I think. I would look into that if you're still feeling the front is too tall. I usually have the same issue and always slam my stem. If I need to go lower I'm getting the Slamset.

Hope that helps.

Btw, I'm planning to call Dirtlabs about the dpx2. Can't ride my Mayhem now anyway as I busted a spoke on my last ride.

Great. I am riding some heavy stuff today and will let you know how the dpx2 does. Stay tuned...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Hope that helps.

Dpx2 did great today in chunky rocks and roots. A lot of tech climbs too. Not sure what more I can say but the shock works. Seems more consistent and predictable.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'm setting up my Mayhem with 29er wheels now. Onyx hubs on Nox rims with Martello 2.35 tires. I was previously running 27.5+ DHF/Rekon combo which was great. I'll report back on how the 29ers compare to 27.5+.

I have both a 10-42 And 9-46 cassette. Any thoughts on which cassette would suite which wheel set up the best?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm setting up my Mayhem with 29er wheels now. Onyx hubs on Nox rims with Martello 2.35 tires. I was previously running 27.5+ DHF/Rekon combo which was great. I'll report back on how the 29ers compare to 27.5+.

I have both a 10-42 And 9-46 cassette. Any thoughts on which cassette would suite which wheel set up the best?

Going to 29 wheels and the increase in diameter will change your effective gear ratio. Pedaling will be slightly more difficult. I would choose whichever spacing that has high numerical teeth in the upper half of the cassette.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    yes, with 29ers you need more power in your legs.

i would also consider shortening the cables in the front.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbandit View Post
    yes, with 29ers you need more power in your legs.

i would also consider shortening the cables in the front.
    Thanks.

Ya, I know. The brake cable is a little long. Everything else looks funny in the pic. They really aren't too long. Just looks that way. I left the brake like that in case I decide to sell it. Besides I don't want to deal with bleeding it.

mtbr member
    If anyone wants the race face 27.5" plus wheels that come on the Mayhem shoot me a pm. I have a set new in the box that I am not going to use, I'll cut you good deal on em.
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bought a Large red frame on their black Friday sale. I was planning to build it up slowly over the ski season but the lack of snow has me moving faster than I planned. Have most of what I need except for the wheels and waiting on a seatpost that is lost in a USPS-Canada post mixup. Loved this bike set up as a 29er and the 27.5+ when I demoed it. Still haven't decided for sure which way I will set up first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ugaskidawg View Post
    Bought a Large red frame on their black Friday sale. I was planning to build it up slowly over the ski season but the lack of snow has me moving faster than I planned. Have most of what I need except for the wheels and waiting on a seatpost that is lost in a USPS-Canada post mixup. Loved this bike set up as a 29er and the 27.5+ when I demoed it. Still haven't decided for sure which way I will set up first.
    Im undecided on which width would be best for plus bike riding with a 2.8, and what will fit. I like the Industry 9 450's but at that price I could buy a carbon rims.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Im undecided on which width would be best for plus bike riding with a 2.8, and what will fit. I like the Industry 9 450's but at that price I could buy a carbon rims.
    I have i49 carbon hoops with maxxis 2.8s that have worked well for me

MSH
    mtbr member
    Been corresponding with Paul at Spot over email on some questions I had about swapping parts over from my v1 Ripley. It was mainly drivetrain related but I was asking about the DPX2 option as well. Some of the dialogue may be useful to others so here it goes (apologies in advance if some of this has been discussed previously, but I didn't see anything when I have been reviewing the six pages on the thread)...

- The DPX2 is not an option now, but will be in the Spring or so timeframe. For those wanting to move now on a DPX2 the tune code if you are purchasing direct from Fox is DCSS

- Spot is going consumer direct so the "sale" prices now are pretty much the new norm. "We are going all consumer direct and lowering prices by about 20-25%"

- If you need a Large frame (like I do) they are out of stock on both colors but a new shipment is coming in January and then again in March. I asked if the DPX2 would be an option once the March frames arrive and Paul indicated there wasn't a solid timeline since it's still in the planning phase, so if you want a Mayhem probably not best to wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH View Post
    Been corresponding with Paul at Spot over email on some questions I had about swapping parts over from my v1 Ripley. It was mainly drivetrain related but I was asking about the DPX2 option as well. Some of the dialogue may be useful to others so here it goes (apologies in advance if some of this has been discussed previously, but I didn't see anything when I have been reviewing the six pages on the thread)...

- The DPX2 is not an option now, but will be in the Spring or so timeframe. For those wanting to move now on a DPX2 the tune code if you are purchasing direct from Fox is DCSS

- Spot is going consumer direct so the "sale" prices now are pretty much the new norm. "We are going all consumer direct and lowering prices by about 20-25%"

- If you need a Large frame (like I do) they are out of stock on both colors but a new shipment is coming in January and then again in March. I asked if the DPX2 would be an option once the March frames arrive and Paul indicated there wasn't a solid timeline since it's still in the planning phase, so if you want a Mayhem probably not best to wait.
    Great info! Any indication of any changes to the frames in Jan or March, even as simple as colors? If the prices are the new norm, and no changes at all, may as well jump on frame now and start building I guess.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by montananate View Post
    Great info! Any indication of any changes to the frames in Jan or March, even as simple as colors? If the prices are the new norm, and no changes at all, may as well jump on frame now and start building I guess.
    I did ask if there were any changes coming for 2018 (which I assumed would not be the case since they just released in late April), and Paul did indicate no changes for 2018. I didn't ask about colors specifically but I have to assume status quo there to.
    I'm most likely going to place an order for my frame this week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Hi guys, how does this compare to mojo 3? And how does it ride on the 29er mode? I currently ride an M3 but with this frame it seems good to switch from plus to 29er where the mojo 3 can only do 27.5/plus. Thanks!

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpeezy View Post
    Hi guys, how does this compare to mojo 3? And how does it ride on the 29er mode? I currently ride an M3 but with this frame it seems good to switch from plus to 29er where the mojo 3 can only do 27.5/plus. Thanks!
    I sold my Mojo3 and replaced it with a mayhem with 27.5x2.8 wheels. It is much better IMO. Stiffer, climbs better, better trail manners and composure, more stable at speed. A bit longer front center maybe. Let me know if you have specific questions

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Did some research today on the Fox Dpx2 tune code DCSS. Fox said it is really really close to what is the stock tune on a off the shelf shock. Said it wasn't worth revalving it for $85 until you ride, make adjustments and test. After which, they can tune. I have one by Dirtlabs which was turned for a digressive leverage curve. They also do other tweaks that factory won't. I like mine with the Dirtlabs tune.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Did some research today on the Fox Dpx2 tune code DCSS. Fox said it is really really close to what is the stock tune on a off the shelf shock. Said it wasn't worth revalving it for $85 until you ride, make adjustments and test. After which, they can tune. I have one by Dirtlabs which was turned for a digressive leverage curve. They also do other tweaks that factory won't. I like mine with the Dirtlabs tune.
    Did you purchase yours new from Dirtlabs? Just curious what cost was?
    I'm here on the Front Range and they have done some work for me before being so close by. Great crew over there...not surprised you are very happy with their work..

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm here on the Front Range and they have done some work for me before being so close by. Great crew over there...not surprised you are very happy with their work..
    549 complete. Bought new from them.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I actually purchase a X2 from Dirtlabs. Should be arriving tomorrow or the next day. They felt it was a better choice for me than the DPX2. I trades my stock DPS in for about 150, which left the overall cost $500.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I sold my Mojo3 and replaced it with a mayhem with 27.5x2.8 wheels. It is much better IMO. Stiffer, climbs better, better trail manners and composure, more stable at speed. A bit longer front center maybe. Let me know if you have specific questions

Thanks! How does it fair on technical rocky trail? I live in the east coast and this is where I mostly ride.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpeezy View Post
    Thanks! How does it fair on technical rocky trail? I live in the east coast and this is where I mostly ride.
    It's been great. I live in New England and ride tech rocky stuff. It's stable at speed and feels very well composed. It does take some time with setup, shock pressure etc to find your sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Hey guys quick question, i found some industry 9 450 wheels for sale with orange hubs and spokes, how do you think they will look with a red mayhem frame? Yeah or Nay?

FAT CHANCE!
    Hey guys quick question, i found some industry 9 450 wheels for sale with orange hubs and spokes, how do you think they will look with a red mayhem frame? Yeah or Nay?
    Yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How many 6foot 1 guys are choosing the large. The TT looks short on paper. Reach looks acceptable. The XL is wayyyyy to long in the wheelbase. Need to demo but. I do not see any coming up. Also I like a 150 front. Looks like bb would raise a bit and slacker to 66?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    How many 6foot 1 guys are choosing the large. The TT looks short on paper. Reach looks acceptable. The XL is wayyyyy to long in the wheelbase. Need to demo but. I do not see any coming up. Also I like a 150 front. Looks like bb would raise a bit and slacker to 66?
    I'm 6'1.5" with "normal" proportions, and I asked Paul at Spot just yesterday what they would recommend. He said he was similar size and that both would work, but the Large is more agile and responsive for him.

MSH
    mtbr member
    I'm right at 6' but all legs with 34.5" inseam, so I preordered a Large frame from Paul yesterday. I'll be running a 140 Pike and 50mm stem. Reach will just be a touch longer (by a couple mm's) than my Hightower w/ 150 Lyrik and I run a 50mm stem on that one

dmo
    mtbr member
    I got my Mayhem in the fall and built it up around a 27.5+ wheelset I had from my last bike. (Top pic with Maxxis rubber is 27.5◊2.8)

After riding it for a few months I got around to getting a 29er wheelset and a new shock, Float X2 (2 lower pics). I've only done a ride up my driveway to the mailbox and back but so far it feels great.

Once I get my sag set properly and get a few rides in I'll report back. I'm using a Pike 140mm and may end up lowering my stem when using the 29er wheels so the front end doesn't wander on climbs - not that that has been a problem so far.

Super fun bike. I'm hoping global warming really kicks in so I can ride on some dirt instead of the frozen ground and snow that's around now.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm almost 6'2", but have short legs @ 32" actual inseam. I got sized at Golden bike and it was absolutely at L for me. Still playing with the stem to get it where I want it, but no question that the L was the size for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roy harley View Post
    Yeah!

I bought them, will post once I buy some tires
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

FAT CHANCE!
    I bought them, will post once I buy some tires
    I think they will look sweet. Can't wait for pictures.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Has anyone ridden both a new Ripley LS and a Mayhem and compared them directly? I put my Mojo 3 up for sale and if I can get a reasonable amount for it, I'll be looking for a new short-mid travel 29er. My home trails are flowy, mostly flat with small elevation changes, lots of man made features and roots. I want something efficient since we pedal so much in FL which is what led me to the Ripley, but I also want something that can handle the occasional trip to NC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Has anyone ridden both a new Ripley LS and a Mayhem and compared them directly? I put my Mojo 3 up for sale and if I can get a reasonable amount for it, I'll be looking for a new short-mid travel 29er. My home trails are flowy, mostly flat with small elevation changes, lots of man made features and roots. I want something efficient since we pedal so much in FL which is what led me to the Ripley, but I also want something that can handle the occasional trip to NC.
    I've tested the Ripley and it feels like a 29er version of the mojo I tested, very poppy.

Out of all the bikes I've tested the Mayhem feels more like a Tallboy but with more downhill capabilities but in the same sentence it can climb better than a Hightower. What really sets Mayhem different than any other bike is the Living Link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I've tested the Ripley and it feels like a 29er version of the mojo I tested, very poppy.

Out of all the bikes I've tested the Mayhem feels more like a Tallboy but with more downhill capabilities but in the same sentence it can climb better than a Hightower. What really sets Mayhem different than any other bike is the Living Link.
    Which bike pedals better / is more efficient in terms of acceleration?

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I have owned the Ripley LS and now the Mayhem. I live in Fruita Colorado so our trails are probably not the same so keep that in mind. After riding both bikes a ton of miles I can say that the Mayhem wins for me. The Ripley was maybe a little quicker cornering for me when I have the Mayhem with 29er wheels. The Mayhem climbs really well. Both seated spinning and when you are doing a technical climb up rock step ups. I am running a 150mm Ribbon front fork on mine and it is great.
    I hope this helps. You can't go wrong with either but the Mayhem is still bringing BIG SMILE to my face after 1600 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Any you guys pre-ordering know if both colors of large will be in Janurary ? I wish I could see em in person can't decide color and would like to check fit.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Any you guys pre-ordering know if both colors of large will be in Janurary ? I wish I could see em in person can't decide color and would like to check fit.
    Yeah Iíve been wavering on color as well. I initially was going to go red but will most likely stick with black. Paul told me both colors will be available on the Jan. run

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yeah Iíve been wavering on color as well. I initially was going to go red but will most likely stick with black. Paul told me both colors will be available on the Jan. run
    Are you pre-ordering due to the fact that they are currently sold out? Is the preorder for the current sale price?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    To those that have had and/or ridden both the Mayhem and the Rollik. If choosing one between these two, which way would you go?
    I'm in Montana. Not a super aggressive rider or racer. I just enjoy getting out and riding.
    Currently have a carbon Bucksaw that I love for snow and dirt. I also have a Jet 9 RDO that I have set up 27.5+, but have a 29'er wheel set for, as well.
    Something about that Spot geometry and the sale pricing really has me thinking!!
    Any comments?? Thank you!

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by montananate View Post
    Are you pre-ordering due to the fact that they are currently sold out? Is the preorder for the current sale price?
    Yes, I'm a Large which is sold out on both colors. I just went ahead and placed my order just to make sure I got one on the January run, which I believe is going to be a smaller run than the next one in March.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlbruski View Post
    To those that have had and/or ridden both the Mayhem and the Rollik. If choosing one between these two, which way would you go?
    I'm in Montana. Not a super aggressive rider or racer. I just enjoy getting out and riding.
    Currently have a carbon Bucksaw that I love for snow and dirt. I also have a Jet 9 RDO that I have set up 27.5+, but have a 29'er wheel set for, as well.
    Something about that Spot geometry and the sale pricing really has me thinking!!
    Any comments?? Thank you!
    I believe the Rollick is sold out in everything but XL and perhaps small fyi. You may try giving them a ring Wednesday and checking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    I believe the Rollick is sold out in everything but XL and perhaps small fyi. You may try giving them a ring Wednesday and checking.
    Thank you. Yes, the Mayhem is all sold out and there are a few Rollik's available in L and XL, but there are more of each coming in next month.
    I was just wondering more about the ride differences and capabilities.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Getting to ride it for real next week and looking forward to it. Still don't know where I'll end up with the stem location, hence it all jacked to the moon.

I have everything pretty well adjusted for air pressure, rebound, compression, etc. so now just the fun. I even was able to dig up a relic so my pedals mostly match the shocks by chance. They are almost brand new condition, just old as dirt. I also put 3M film/tape on all the critical areas as well. Wish I could say that was a better job, but it was my first time doing that and it took forever. Still going to swap to tubeless and I am doing that for my Christmas project tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_9690.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_9688.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_9691.jpg  

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quick question on fork steerer length....

I'm transferring over my Pike from my Ripley. My Pike has ~7" steerer. The Ripley has a 100mm HT on the Large but does use a bottom EC where the Mayhem is ZS top & bottom. Looks like the large Mayhem comes in at 130mm on the HT length. I do have one 10mm spacer I'm running on the Rip.

For those of you on a Large what's your rough steerer length(w/ # of spacers)? I think I'm going to be ok but I'm planning to have Ethan at Maverick do a rebuild on the Pike and bump the travel to 140mm here next month and want to make sure I'm ok before I go down that road .

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

So the combination of the linkage system and the steep STA contribute to the climbing efficiency? That STA makes me look twice every time I look at a picture of this bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Regarding the leaf spring, does it seem to rebound a lot faster than a non-leafspring bikes? Reason I ask is I had a titanium BlackSheep soft tail that had titanium flex spring and felt like it was going to send me over the bars anytime i Bunnyhopped it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Regarding the leaf spring, does it seem to rebound a lot faster than a non-leafspring bikes? Reason I ask is I had a titanium BlackSheep soft tail that had titanium flex spring and felt like it was going to send me over the bars anytime i Bunnyhopped it.
    No

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It's got a fancy shock to handle rebound....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    After riding it for a few months I got around to getting a 29er wheelset and a new shock, Float X2 (2 lower pics). I've only done a ride up my driveway to the mailbox and back but so far it feels great.
    What's the update on riding the 29er wheels?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Anyone know if the 6-star build kit with Mavic Tires and Mavic wheels comes set up tubeless? (Without tubes)

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    What's the update on riding the 29er wheels?
    Actually haven't had a chance to ride with 29ers. Snow and ice keeping me off the trails. Waiting for an early spring...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abiding-Dude View Post
    Anyone know if the 6-star build kit with Mavic Tires and Mavic wheels comes set up tubeless? (Without tubes)
    My Rallye came tubeless. I didnít get a wheel set with my Mayhem but Iím sure if you are buying the most expensive build they will either put Stanís or tubes whichever you choose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do you all think the Spot Mayhem 29 will overlap too much with a 2014 Specialized Enduro 29? I absolutely love my E29 for anything that is really rocky or really fast and steep, but I'm looking to slot a bike in between that and my 100mm hardtail. Initially, I was thinking something more pure XC but nothing in that category really does much for me ...I like being able to go fast but also don't want to take a beating in doing so.

What I really want is a trail bike that pedals well enough that I can use it for everything other than what the E29 is good at but also the occasional Cat 1 XC race. Might this be the unicorn I've been looking for?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Do you all think the Spot Mayhem 29 will overlap too much with a 2014 Specialized Enduro 29? I absolutely love my E29 for anything that is really rocky or really fast and steep, but I'm looking to slot a bike in between that and my 100mm hardtail. Initially, I was thinking something more pure XC but nothing in that category really does much for me ...I like being able to go fast but also don't want to take a beating in doing so.

What I really want is a trail bike that pedals well enough that I can use it for everything other than what the E29 is good at but also the occasional Cat 1 XC race. Might this be the unicorn I've been looking for?
    I suggest checking out the Ibis Ripley LS.

mtbr member
    Well the Bike mag test is done and the video is up..they ended up testing the plus version...I would of liked to see them of tested the 29er to like they did with the Norco sight..which looks like an amazing bike..

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Well the Bike mag test is done and the video is up..they ended up testing the plus version...I would of liked to see them of tested the 29er to like they did with the Norco sight..which looks like an amazing bike..
    Yeah. I think they did because there just needed at plus bike. Would have been a better review if tested 29. Better yet with a 140 fork.

mtbr member
    There is a Large frame on EBay that looks pretty clean if someone is looking for one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    There is a Large frame on EBay that looks pretty clean if someone is looking for one.
    I don't see it. There is a small which was a demo at Trailflo

mtbr member
    I don't see it. There is a small which was a demo at Trailflo

Oops that is a small...i did a general search for frames in large and that popped up..

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Is anyone planning on setting up a European distribution network by chance?
    I am very interested in the Mayhem but ordering only the frame to the Netherlands adds 200$ for shipping and just shy of 600$ (!) for import taxes. So a 2799$ frame ends up costing $3586.

mtbr member
    I finally got out for a quick snowy ride with the plus rims and surprised how well it went, It was no fatbike but some xc skiers blazed in a nice trail,
    I lasted an hour in 19 degree tempsSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-26196159_933833826770800_8959154663341751755_n.jpg
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Your my hero..dang it gets 50 degrees once on a while here in SoCal and I think it's chilly.
    On another note was thinking of pulling trigger but he larges was out of stock. Price went up to 2799....

MSH
    mtbr member
    ....On another note was thinking of pulling trigger but he larges was out of stock. Price went up to 2799....
    if you talk to Paul at Spot you might be able to get $100 off if you preorder now. That's what he offered me when the frames were at $2499, since the Larges were out of stock in mid-Dec. At $2399 I couldn't pass it up

mtbr member
    So I was tossing the idea of installing a Shimano XT Di2, I have no clue how much of a pain in the butt this would be. SO does anyone use a Di2 on there Mayhem and is the wiring easy to do, I know some bikes come with doors in the frame to hide the battery, I don't believe ours does.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm 6'2 long torso. I have an XL with a 70mm stem. It fits great. I have a 140mm fork and I can get around most everything. I had a much shorter rear end at about 17 inches, but don't miss it. The rear end has no flex and the bike feels great!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast