Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    Just picked my Mayhem from Ethan this morning. Blew out the seals on my Evol last week so I had him do the warranty rebuild on it. I ended up treating myself to a new DPX2, hope to get the inaugural ride on it mañana before the snow comes Monday. Anyone in the market for a newly rebuilt Evol shoot me a pm and I will give you a good deal! Thought about keeping it for a spare but that is just silly.
    No, but I'd really like to hear how you like the x2. I've been considering one for a while but need to try the evol for a while first

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The evol on this bike is $$$. I used to want the “upgrade” when bored at work but after each ride I always thought “how could that be better?” I asked Ethan about it a couple weeks ago and he said it’s a little beefier which I won’t notice and will be more consistent, whatever that means. I got a new job with a big raise so I had money to burn I guess. Will report back after a few rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    Yes there is a new version. I got mine from Ethan FlowZone | Maverick Suspension and Service
    Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So I had a chance to demo the pivot switchblade for a day and I’m glad I did not buy it. Not a bad bike but head tube angle way too steep and the front end wanders too much on steep climbs. Also not as stable as the Mayham on the downs both bikes had stiff rear ends. One of the things I love so much about having the Mayham with the 160 pike on the front is I have 14 inches of BB Clarence now so I can run my 175 mm crank. The switchblade also felt sluggish on the climbs you could feel the weight at 31.2 pounds compared to Mark 28 pound Mayham. I was riding the switchblade but I was thinking about the Mayham.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Rear Suspension Set-up, just still feels harsh. I've got only 4 rides so far. Cycled the fox evol while adding air every 50 PSI as described. Running 85% to my weight. 185 plus camelback. Have 30% sag and using all the travel.
    I've owned a few DW-Link bikes and Split-Pivot bikes and this 130mm feels like 100mm.
    It works better on bigger hits and is somewhat compliant on small trail imperfections. When I ride over moderate to small 2-4 inch obstacles if just feels harsh. Ride fully open with rebound dialed to not bob after the hit.
    I like the lateral stiffness of the rear, ST angle etc. I'm running a 140mm fox 34, but think I could get away with a 150mm fork with no flop climbing, but don't think that would match how rear end feels.
    Any ideas out there for tuning the rear? I've read the other posts in this forum.
    I like the frame, but would love it if I could dial in the rear suspension. I'm starting to think the harsh suspension action is the trade off with the single pivot design. I bought this bike to replace my XC/trail bikes with a smoother longer travel trail bike. Right now it does not feel like more travel bike.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonman View Post
    Rear Suspension Set-up, just still feels harsh. I've got only 4 rides so far. Cycled the fox evol while adding air every 50 PSI as described. Running 85% to my weight. 185 plus camelback. Have 30% sag and using all the travel.
    I've owned a few DW-Link bikes and Split-Pivot bikes and this 130mm feels like 100mm.
    It works better on bigger hits and is somewhat compliant on small trail imperfections. When I ride over moderate to small 2-4 inch obstacles if just feels harsh. Ride fully open with rebound dialed to not bob after the hit.
    I like the lateral stiffness of the rear, ST angle etc. I'm running a 140mm fox 34, but think I could get away with a 150mm fork with no flop climbing, but don't think that would match how rear end feels.
    Any ideas out there for tuning the rear? I've read the other posts in this forum.
    I like the frame, but would love it if I could dial in the rear suspension. I'm starting to think the harsh suspension action is the trade off with the single pivot design. I bought this bike to replace my XC/trail bikes with a smoother longer travel trail bike. Right now it does not feel like more travel bike.
    I'm 2 rides in and feeling the same. Dropped about 10 psi off of what's recommended and it's better so far. What other settings have peoplle found work best

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonman View Post
    I don't think you are necessarily going to get around it. I firmly believe that the design of the leaf spring pivot firms up right in the mid stroke. Thinking through it I can't think of a way around it. In my opinion, it is just going to be firm. That's the trade-off for pretty good small compliance and a great pedaling platform. In my case I am setting PR's without trying. I must contribute this to the efficiency of the suspension and I will trade some of the plushness for a good pedal platform.

I would be interested to hear from others that have used X2 shock.

In my case I feel the same firmness that you do. I do not find I am losing any traction or the bike is hopping. Small drops and larger everything is magical. Small Bump compliance is very good as well. I am 150 lb and run 17 lb in the front and 19 lb in the rear

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    I don't think you are necessarily going to get around it. I firmly believe that the design of the leaf spring pivot firms up right in the mid stroke. Thinking through it I can't think of a way around it. In my opinion, it is just going to be firm. That's the trade-off for pretty good small compliance and a great pedaling platform. In my case I am setting PR's without trying. I must contribute this to the efficiency of the suspension and I will trade some of the plushness for a good pedal platform.

I would be interested to hear from others that have used X2 shock.

In my case I feel the same firmness that you do. I do not find I am losing any traction or the bike is hopping. Small drops and larger everything is magical. Small Bump compliance is very good as well. I am 150 lb and run 17 lb in the front and 19 lb in the rear

What psi do you have in your shock?I'm 156 and went down to 125psi with the shock fully open and 1 click of low speed compression damping before it started to feel balanced

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    What psi do you have in your shock?I'm 156 and went down to 125psi with the shock fully open and 1 click of low speed compression damping before it started to feel balanced

About 155 with gear. 126lbs of pressure. Rebound I think is 3 from out from closed. So we are close. I have been using a Shockwiz.

Last edited by bogeydog; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:09 PM.

dmo
    mtbr member
    About 155 with gear. 126lbs of pressure. Rebound I think is 3 from out from closed. So we are close. I have been using a Shockwiz.

Ya, I'm using a shockwiz too. I'm probably 158 in kit depending on how many layers and how much water I carry. I'm only 2 rides in so I still have some work to do. I'm also running 27.5+ wheels which will change the feel of the bike.

One thing I can't deny, this bike climbs like no other. I'm just trying to get it to feel better on the downs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ya, I'm using a shockwiz too. I'm probably 158 in kit depending on how many layers and how much water I carry. I'm only 2 rides in so I still have some work to do. I'm also running 27.5+ wheels which will change the feel of the bike.

One thing I can't deny, this bike climbs like no other. I'm just trying to get it to feel better on the downs.

I have both sizes of wheels. The plus tires make it softer for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yes, it rips uphill. Hooks up great as well! I'm running 29 30mm internal width and 20/22 psi with 175 cranks and no issues with pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Consider volume spacers in the fox evol shock. Im 195 and run 190psi with 1 volume spacer. Prior to volume spacers I was blowing right through travel and the volume spacer helped a ton with ramping up the curve.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    First "long term" review posted on NSMB... considering North Shore is the NS in NSMB - pretty impressive write up as we all know those testing grounds are endu-bro optimized.

https://nsmb.com/articles/spot-mayhem-29-north-shore/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    First "long term" review posted on NSMB... considering North Shore is the NS in NSMB - pretty impressive write up as we all know those testing grounds are endu-bro optimized.

https://nsmb.com/articles/spot-mayhem-29-north-shore/

Agree with everything except the harsh bottoms. I’ve felt my 36 bottom out but not the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Agree with everything except the harsh bottoms. I’ve felt my 36 bottom out but not the rear.

Push now offers coil spring upgrade for the Fox 36!!!

dmo
    mtbr member
    Anyone use volume spacers with the shock? The bike is pretty progressive with the leaf spring. Would a volume spacer allow lower pressure to be run without making the bike wallow in the early part of its travel?

Btw, I spoke to Spot and they said using a shockwiz (which I've been doing) doesn't really work due to the leaf spring and the way it works.

mtbr member
    Volume spacers have an affect on the last part of the travel resisting bottom out.
    Air spring pressure and dampening have an affect throughout the travel.
    Set your air pressure low enough to get the plushness you want and add volume spacers if you are bottoming out. This might get you into too much sag. That is the problem with shocks without high speed compression and rebound adjustments.
    I am using an X2 and I found the high compression adjustment very useful in setting the mid travel progressiveness of the the leaf spring to my liking. I have 2 volume spacers and get full travel without wallow in the early part of the travel and no harsh bottoming.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Volume spacers have an affect on the last part of the travel resisting bottom out.
    Air spring pressure and dampening have an affect throughout the travel.
    Set your air pressure low enough to get the plushness you want and add volume spacers if you are bottoming out. This might get you into too much sag. That is the problem with shocks without high speed compression and rebound adjustments.
    I am using an X2 and I found the high compression adjustment very useful in setting the mid travel progressiveness of the the leaf spring to my liking. I have 2 volume spacers and get full travel without wallow in the early part of the travel and no harsh bottoming.
    What are your stats and settings? How do the mid size Rocks and roots feel especially when back to back or successive hits?

dmo
    mtbr member
    What are your stats and settings? How do the mid size Rocks and roots feel especially when back to back or successive hits?

I'm 156lb and have shock at 130psi, rebound 6clicks from fully closes and lsc fully open.

I'm not getting full travel right now. If I go below 130 too much the shock gets too soft and doesn't climb as efficiently. I think I may try dropping 1-2psi and adding a click of lsc to the 2nd setting

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm 156lb and have shock at 130psi, rebound 6clicks from fully closes and lsc fully open.

I'm not getting full travel right now. If I go below 130 too much the shock gets too soft and doesn't climb as efficiently. I think I may try dropping 1-2psi and adding a click of lsc to the 2nd setting

I am about same weight, run 126 lbs and 3 clicks of rebound.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I am about same weight, run 126 lbs and 3 clicks of rebound.

What about compression damping? The 1,2,3 on the lever?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What about compression damping? The 1,2,3 on the lever?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

I could see how a shock with HSC could help. But I am doing OK with the stoxk one unless someone can convince me the x2 is worth it ON THIS BIKE. It's an expensive and heavy option.

mtbr member
    You guys are on the lighter side. The stock evol shocks might have a tune for the average rider 170 - 180LBS.
    You might need a custom tune.
    I never used the evol shock. I used a X2 from the start. I am using the X2 with a Fox36 140mm.
    I have also used an updated CC Inline which was nice but found the X2 to be a better match to the 36. If I did not have the X2(I don’t mind the weight) I would have no problem using the CC inline.
    Having the ability to adjust the high speed compression and rebound has really helped the rear suspension. I am still playing around with the settings but I am in range.

I am 180-185 lbs geared up on a Large
    Fox X2
    Air Pressure 157-160PSI - 2 tokens
    Fox recommended settings from open
    HSC 2-4
    LSC 1-3
    HSR 6-8
    LSR 2-4 clicks

My Settings from open
    HSC 1-2 clicks
    LSC 2 clicks
    HSR 5-6 clicks
    LSR 8 clicks

No problems with successive hits but remember it is a 130mm bike. I do wish it was 140mm.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/tuesda...rt-1-2016.html

dmo
    mtbr member
    You guys are on the lighter side. The stock evol shocks might have a tune for the average rider 170 - 180LBS.
    You might need a custom tune.
    I never used the evol shock. I used a X2 from the start. I am using the X2 with a Fox36 140mm.
    I have also used an updated CC Inline which was nice but found the X2 to be a better match to the 36. If I did not have the X2(I don’t mind the weight) I would have no problem using the CC inline.
    Having the ability to adjust the high speed compression and rebound has really helped the rear suspension. I am still playing around with the settings but I am in range.

I am 180-185 lbs geared up on a Large
    Fox X2
    Air Pressure 157-160PSI - 2 tokens
    Fox recommended settings from open
    HSC 2-4
    LSC 1-3
    HSR 6-8
    LSR 2-4 clicks

My Settings from open
    HSC 1-2 clicks
    LSC 2 clicks
    HSR 5-6 clicks
    LSR 8 clicks

No problems with successive hits but remember it is a 130mm bike. I do wish it was 140mm.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/tuesda...rt-1-2016.html
    I have the new CC inline on my old bike, a Yeti sb95, that I really like. I contacted Push to see if they would do a custom tune on the evol and they said they can't. I can get another CC inline for half the cost of a X2 so I may consider that after I've spent some more time with the stock evol.

mtbr member
    On my dpx2, Ethan installed a .4 spacer. He said he did that per the advice of one of the Spot engineers who has had a lot of time with that shock on the Mayhem. Two rides in and I’m loving it, but I also loved the evol so ymmv.

mtbr member
    Anyone figure out if a 180 rotor will work in the rear?
    Front Range, Colorado

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I am running a Hope 180mm rotor in the rear. I removed the chain stay protector and installed 3m tape. The original protector was starting to come off and hitting the rotor. No issues now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gryeti View Post
    I am running a Hope 180mm rotor in the rear. I removed the chain stay protector and installed 3m tape. The original protector was starting to come off and hitting the rotor. No issues now.
    thanks, same rotors I have.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Rode a demo today from Spot. I have to say.... I knew the bike would climb well based on the geometry but this thing RIPS on the descents. If you’re a competent descender do yourself a favor and put something bigger then a fox 34 on it. Trying to get my hands on one setup with a fox dpx2/36 next. Even with a fox 34 @ 130mm I only missed a KOM on a double black descent by one second on strava. Trail and bike were both new to me. Pretty impressive! Personally I think the bike will feel best at 140mm or even 150mm. The rear end is as stiff as any bike I’ve ever ridden. I’ll be comparing it to a stumpy, HT, trail pistol, and Following MB in the near future. The bar is set REAL high though...

dmo
    mtbr member
    What tires are people running for 29" hoops? I'm using dhf/Rekon 2.8 for my 27.5 wheels. I was thinking of getting some carbon 29er wheels around i29 width, maybe a set of Box wheels and was wondering what tires people like. Trails are northeast style rocks and roots with soft to dry dirt depending on the season. I heard good things about Vittoria Morsa or Goma tires. What are you rolling?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What tires are people running for 29" hoops? I'm using dhf/Rekon 2.8 for my 27.5 wheels. I was thinking of getting some carbon 29er wheels around i29 width, maybe a set of Box wheels and was wondering what tires people like. Trails are northeast style rocks and roots with soft to dry dirt depending on the season. I heard good things about Vittoria Morsa or Goma tires. What are you rolling?

Knight Enduro 29 wheels with P321 hubs. These are special for sure and work great in roots and rocks.

Tires are Vittoria Barzo TNT 2.35. They are really good especially when a little damp. They like to be leaned as the center knobs are built for speed. New G+ compound coming mid month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Trying to get my hands on one setup with a fox dpx2/36 next. The bar is set REAL high though...
    I've always had the 36 at 140 but just got my 3rd ride in with the dpx2 and I am now ready to crown it. I really liked the Evol but DPX2 seems to take the bigger hits a little better and is just more consistent. Ethan at Maverick kept saying it was a more consistent shock and I had no clue what he meant till now. It doesn't seem to react as big to anything, it doesn't seem to dive as much in the big stuff but I am still getting full travel. Hard to explain it.

I'm always amazed at how this thing rips the chunk coming down with how well it climbs.

If you are a Denver local, they should be able to set up a demo with a 36 and dpx2, one of the engineers had that exact same set up for a while. I bought mine with a 36 for a minimal up charge. I'd bet you could swap the evol for the dpx2 for a few bucks also.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I've always had the 36 at 140 but just got my 3rd ride in with the dpx2 and I am now ready to crown it. I really liked the Evol but DPX2 seems to take the bigger hits a little better and is just more consistent. Ethan at Maverick kept saying it was a more consistent shock and I had no clue what he meant till now. It doesn't seem to react as big to anything, it doesn't seem to dive as much in the big stuff but I am still getting full travel. Hard to explain it.

I'm always amazed at how this thing rips the chunk coming down with how well it climbs.

If you are a Denver local, they should be able to set up a demo with a 36 and dpx2, one of the engineers had that exact same set up for a while. I bought mine with a 36 for a minimal up charge. I'd bet you could swap the evol for the dpx2 for a few bucks also.
    Thank you for the feedback on the DPX2. So you know if it would be able to be set up so that you could still get a water bottle inside the triangle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Did the dpx2 get a similar tune as was on the Evol?

mtbr member

They said dpx2 next year. I’m waiting to hear back about riding the 36/dpx2 bike
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    They said dpx2 next year. I’m waiting to hear back about riding the 36/dpx2 bike
    What do you mean next year?

mtbr member
    20oz water bottle fits just like it did with the Evol. The piggyback sits up top.

Ethan set the pressure on the dpx2 just like the Evol. I’m running 153 for my 180 weight. He did install a .4 spacer and I want to say I am one click in on both knobs. I always ride the shock in the open position same as I did with the Evol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    20oz water bottle fits just like it did with the Evol. The piggyback sits up top.

Ethan set the pressure on the dpx2 just like the Evol. I’m running 153 for my 180 weight. He did install a .4 spacer and I want to say I am one click in on both knobs. I always ride the shock in the open position same as I did with the Evol.

200x57? So it's just a factory tune. I think the Evol is LLM maybe.

mtbr member
    Yep, straight out the box style.

dmo
    mtbr member

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Oh...i forgot to mention I have the shock at 129psi right now

dmo
    mtbr member
    Oh...i forgot to mention I have the shock at 129psi right now
    I had posted before this and it dissappeared...anyway,

I'm not getting full travel out of my Mayhem. I'm about 156lb and get about 45 of 57mm of the shock stroke. Can I take the .2 spacer out of the shock and run it without any spacers?

Should I be using all the travel or is the mayhem just super progressive.

I'm at 129psi but if I go lower it'll be too soft. I have the shock fully open too

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I had posted before this and it dissappeared...anyway,

I'm not getting full travel out of my Mayhem. I'm about 156lb and get about 45 of 57mm of the shock stroke. Can I take the .2 spacer out of the shock and run it without any spacers?

Should I be using all the travel or is the mayhem just super progressive.

I'm at 129psi but if I go lower it'll be too soft. I have the shock fully open too

Maybe you have a shock issue. I get full travel with the specs I posted before.

What is your shock code?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Maybe you have a shock issue. I get full travel with the specs I posted before.

What is your shock code?

DD29

Does that mean anything?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    DD29

Does that mean anything?

Well mine is DCSQ. Using the Fox ID decoder, our is the same except the damping is different.

Yours - DCM, DRM, CML

Digressive Compression Medium, Digressive Rebound Medium, Lockout Light

Mine - LCM, LRM, CML
    Linear Compression Medium, Linear Rebound Medium, Lockout Light

I bought my frame in May.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Well mine is DCSQ. Using the Fox ID decoder, our is the same except the damping is different.

Yours - DCM, DRM, CML

Mine - LCM, LRM, CML

Hmmm...

What's the difference between digressive and linear? Mine is a medium that I bought last month

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hmmm...

What's the difference between digressive and linear? Mine is a medium that I bought last month

Linear, as shaft speed increases, damping increases at a predictable, linear rate.

Digressive, as shaft speeds increase, the damping forces increase at a decreasing rate.

From what I understand, digressive are a newer version of suspension thinking.

According to DVO, Digressive vs progressive is the most ideal setup for most riding conditions. The beginning stroke is supportive and not mushy or diving in the travel, as suspension velocity increases, damping force is less so larger hits are absorbed better without harsh spiking.

However, another article says that Digressive shocks are bad at small bumps and large bumps, but good at handling a g outs. Linear shocks provide the best all around performance.

mtbr member
    Are you riding trails where it should be using all the travel? If you’re riding smooth xc stuff then it shouldn’t be blowing through travel. If you’re riding the gnar and it still isn’t then it sounds like an issue.

Most importantly, does it feel good? Stiff on the way climbs plush on the downs?

My suspension guys( Dirtlabs and Maverick) have always told me that after any change get a couple rides in to see if I want the shock to behave differently then only make one adjustment at a time and get two rides in again.

Might be a silly question but are you riding in open mode?

mtbr member
    Also if you are running a 36 up front the bottom out spot is about an inch from the top. So the ring will never push all the way up.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Also if you are running a 36 up front the bottom out spot is about an inch from the top. So the ring will never push all the way up.

Yes, I'm running the shock full open. I also have a 2018 pike 140mm that I may try taking a spacer out of.

I've ridden a mix....more xc as well as more rocky gnar. I'm going to keep tuning and see.

Would a dpx2 or X2 help at all given there are more tuning options?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Poon,

What is the code on your Evol?

mtbr member

That's not true, at least not for the '17 or '18 36 I've owned.
    Front Range, Colorado

mtbr member
    Sold my Evol already so no clue.

My ‘18 on this bike and my ‘17 on my hd3 don’t roll all the way up. Here is a pic from today’s ride

mtbr member
    If that’s where your fork bottoms something isn’t right.

mtbr member
    Think it’s spacers? Both the guys I rode with today said there’s act the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think Poon is right. The bottom out on the 36 is where the kashima labels at. Mine behaves the same

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    shock appears "wrong" as that ring shouldn't go past the kashima branding print - bottom out comes before that... if you measure 57mm from air can seal you will see what i mean - if your ring is traveling that far - something is likely going on and not proper.

On my Rollik - and even tho the kinematics are a bit different btw the 2 - rear shock feel and performance for me is way better near 30% sag - which is a good bit lower air pressure than the recommended settings from Spot which put me about 18-20% sag. now if you like a crisp/xc feel great - i have old bones and injuries and wanted a more plush ride. Also changed my bottom out spacer (to a conical Push Ind brand via Ethan at Maverick) - and can run a bit lower pressure with a nice ramp towards the end.

in the end - find what feels and works best for you but i believe a lower pressure in the shock will help - and playing with the volume spacer will help as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Yours - DCM, DRM, CML

Mine - LCM, LRM, CML

Ok here is what Paul told me today regarding the apparent difference in our shock codes. I bought an early bike. They came with the tuning per the code I stated. They had Dirtlabs tune to the code which you have. There Digressive is the tune.

Also spoke about Dpx2. Said it would feel differently than DPS unless the DPS gets overheated by long descents, etc. Therefore the Dpx2 would be more consistent over the DPS in the right circumstances.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Ok here is what Paul told me today regarding the apparent difference in our shock codes. I bought an early bike. They came with the tuning per the code I stated. They had Dirtlabs tune to the code which you have. There Digressive is the tune.

Also spoke about Dpx2. Said it would feel differently than DPS unless the DPS gets overheated by long descents, etc. Therefore the Dpx2 would be more consistent over the DPS in the right circumstances.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

So, am I correct in assuming that unless I have long descents (which I dont) the Dpx2 (and maybe the X2) won't feel any different?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

So, am I correct in assuming that unless I have long descents (which I dont) the Dpx2 (and maybe the X2) won't feel any different?

Spoke to Chris at Dirtlabs who confirmed they did the mods to my shock. We discussed a few options including changing a spacer one level and dropping pressure 10lbs. That would help with small and mid compressions. However we don't want to comprise the pedaling which is where the bike shines.

We also discussed DPX2. He said it is a superior shock than the DPS. He is familiar with East Coast riding..... I placed an order for a DPX2 tuned for me and my riding style. Should be here next week.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Spoke to Chris at Dirtlabs who confirmed they did the mods to my shock. We discussed a few options including changing a spacer one level and dropping pressure 10lbs. That would help with small and mid compressions. However we don't want to comprise the pedaling which is where the bike shines.

We also discussed DPX2. He said it is a superior shock than the DPS. He is familiar with East Coast riding..... I placed an order for a DPX2 tuned for me and my riding style. Should be here next week.

How are you getting it tuned? Who do you order it through?

This sort of thing is new to me.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    How are you getting it tuned? Who do you order it through?

This sort of thing is new to me.

Thanks

Ordered from Dirtlabs. Look them up on Colorado. They know the bike. Asked me a bunch of questions. They will get shock from Fox and tune accordingly. Give them a call.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'm planning to build a 29er wheelset for the mayhem. Nox Farlow 29 with i9s. I want to see what people think about colors. I getting black decals, black spokes and nips. My hub choices are black, silver, purple or gold. Black is a safe bet, silver might look cool, purple would add some color, gold maybe too blingy.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm planning to build a 29er wheelset for the mayhem. Nox Farlow 29 with i9s. I want to see what people think about colors. I getting black decals, black spokes and nips. My hub choices are black, silver, purple or gold. Black is a safe bet, silver might look cool, purple would add some color, gold maybe too blingy.

Thoughts?

I have had many colored wheels over the years. Black would look like what you have. I think silver hubs and nipples with black spokes could look good. You didn't mention blue, but blue or turquoise hubs, black spokes and silver nipples could look good with the red. I have that with my black frame. Gold is too much, red won't match the frame red, purple isn't my thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Go gold, i9 gold is a fairly warm color and you're spending bling $ anyway...

mtbr member

Gold is the only choice

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Gold is the only choice

Looks good

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Certainly black spokes would be a little more subtle but looks good either way. Currently riding an ORANGE Ripley with an orange helmet and gold i9's during hunting season so I'm definitely not the reference point for 'subtle'.. DMO, where do you ride in MA? I'm in Sturbridge and we've got 3 GREAT places to ride a Mayhem out here, plus Treehouse and BT's BBQ!

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Certainly black spokes would be a little more subtle but looks good either way. Currently riding an ORANGE Ripley with an orange helmet and gold i9's during hunting season so I'm definitely not the reference point for 'subtle'.. DMO, where do you ride in MA? I'm in Sturbridge and we've got 3 GREAT places to ride a Mayhem out here, plus Treehouse and BT's BBQ!
    I'm in eastern MA and usually ride east of 495. I have a tough time travelling further for a ride. Maybe one day I'll get out near you

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm in eastern MA and usually ride east of 495. I have a tough time travelling further for a ride. Maybe one day I'll get out near you

Where would you say is the best spot for technical/trail riding in the vicinity of 495? Also, who did you buy the SPOT from?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Where would you say is the best spot for technical/trail riding in the vicinity of 495? Also, who did you buy the SPOT from?
    I'd goto Vietnam.

I got my frame direct from Spot.

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    It's funny. Everyone that has ridden a long bike (that I can tell from reading these posts) has nothing but good things to say about them, myself included.

I'm still searching for the one person that really hated them.

The only negative I have ever read is that people prefer "throwing" around the smaller bikes, but they still enjoyed riding the longer ones.

I would never go back to purchasing a shorter bike, or one with a slacker seat angle.
    Yeah that way of thinking is done with I think. You can get the advantages of the longer wheel base and with the stems, handle bars, seats, frame angles these bike become with, stay centered within the bike and have a confortable and efficient ride these days...

FAT CHANCE!
    Can't believe that we do t have a detailed ride report yet

http://https://nsmb.com/articles/spot-mayhem-29-north-shore/?mc_cid=2e85b6c121&mc_eid=1140e827bb

mtbr member
    Ordered from Dirtlabs. Look them up on Colorado. They know the bike. Asked me a bunch of questions. They will get shock from Fox and tune accordingly. Give them a call.

Before I met Ethan at Maverick they were my suspension shop. I have nothing but great things to say about em. Great work on my squishy stuff and dropper posts. If they were closer I would probably still use them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Well, I was finding the rear a little harsh. Got some good riding in down in Hurricane/St George Utah..about 100 miles including Gooseberry and Gander Trail. Lots of short ups and downs etc. The bike was amazing!!! Climbs so well!! I was nailing everything. I've felt good on Gooseberry before with my other bikes, but really just crawled up EVERYTHING!!
    I got full travel flying on some downhills faster than I've felt comfortable before. The rear end was working great! I think the bike just won't be super plus ever, but I'm very pleased with the overall package. 140mm fork and feels perfect and I would easily say 150 could work well too. I'm 195 kitted up with camelback and run 30% sag and open platform. Bobs a little bit at higher cadence but settles down 80 and below.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'm still looking for a good set of 29er tires for this bike. What do people think of the e13 tires for this bike? Would they be ok or roll to slowly?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm still looking for a good set of 29er tires for this bike. What do people think of the e13 tires for this bike? Would they be ok or roll to slowly?

Knight wheels on sale now for 20% off. Killer deal.

mtbr member
    I'm running the 2.5 DHF up front and about to go back to the DHRII 2.4 rear. Not the fastest rolling but has the best grip.

mtbr member
    I'm running the 2.5 DHF up front and about to go back to the DHRII 2.4 rear. Not the fastest rolling but has the best grip.
    I got the 2.4 DHF up front and High Roller 2 in the rear.

BTW if someone wants to buy a barely used DHRII I got one for sale.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'm planning to run a pair of Vittoria Morsa 2.3 tires. My old wheelset has DHf/DHR combo. I hear the Morsa roll fast and corner well. I may try a e13 TRS up front but am afraid it'll be a bit of an anchor on the climbs

mtbr member
    A friend of mine is selling his DT Swiss XM 551 wheels for a good price, but they are 28 spoke,not 32 and im a bit of a clydesdale. do you think it would be safe? All my wheels now are 32 spoke.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    i am still thinking about ordering a mayhem but one thing sounds strange to me.

some owners call the rear suspension „plush“ others call it „harsh“.

i really do not like harsh rears - i like it plush, soft and planted. this makes me feel safe and offers comfort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by badbandit View Post
    i am still thinking about ordering a mayhem but one thing sounds strange to me.

some owners call the rear suspension „plush“ others call it „harsh“.

i really do not like harsh rears - i like it plush, soft and planted. this makes me feel safe and offers comfort.
    There seems to be some confusion and I would say erroneous info about this. The leverage rate of the frame provides for a great small bump compliance, a firm mid stroke. This is why it pedals so well. Once past the mid stroke, it is very plush. Likely those that aren't getting past the mid stroke are not going to get to plush.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    There seems to be some confusion and I would say erroneous info about this. The leverage rate of the frame provides for a great small bump compliance, a firm mid stroke. This is why it pedals so well. Once past the mid stroke, it is very plush. Likely those that aren't getting past the mid stroke are not going to get to plush.

Bogeydog nailed it. You need to ride the bike hard enough to get past the mid stroke. It still shocking to me how nice this bike rides in the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    I also I agree. However the best way I could describe the feeling the mid stroke/pedal platform felt to me, is like an over-inflated tire. So I decided that I would try to lower the tire air pressure as low as possible and that did improve the perceived harshness and traction over roots. Getting more familiar (weight shifts) with the bike geometry has also helped.
    Larger volume tires and wider ID rims should also help. Has any one tried the new 29 x 2.5/2.6 tires?
    Also the 27.5+ configuration should provide more plushness. I will be trying this set up soon, so I will see how it compares to my current 29 x 2.35 Schwalbe NNs.

I also think that some of us, depending on weight and style of ridding, will require further rear shock dampening customization to get more plushness in the mid travel area.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    I also I agree. However the best way I could describe the feeling the mid stroke/pedal platform felt to me, is like an over-inflated tire. So I decided that I would try to lower the tire air pressure as low as possible and that did improve the perceived harshness and traction over roots. Getting more familiar (weight shifts) with the bike geometry has also helped.
    Larger volume tires and wider ID rims should also help. Has any one tried the new 29 x 2.5/2.6 tires?
    Also the 27.5+ configuration should provide more plushness. I will be trying this set up soon, so I will see how it compares to my current 29 x 2.35 Schwalbe NNs.

I also think that some of us, depending on weight and style of ridding, will require further rear shock dampening customization to get more plushness in the mid travel area.

I am running Ibis 942 wheels 29 and Nox Kitsuma 27.5. The 27.5 plus tires do really smooth the ride out and are very fun. I have not run anything larger than a 2.4 Maxxis DHR on the 29er wheels but plan to give the 2.6 a try at least on the front. Not sure it would fit on the rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    so i guess you can‘t have it all - which makes sense.
    either great support on climbs and while pedaling or an overall plush feeling.

i guess i am not a very hard rider, so most of the time i would be in the area, where it is not that plush.

mtbr member
    "I'm planning to run a pair of Vittoria Morsa 2.3 tires. My old wheelset has DHf/DHR combo. I hear the Morsa roll fast and corner well. I may try a e13 TRS up front but am afraid it'll be a bit of an anchor on the climbs"

I am currently running this combo on eThirteen TRS race wheels in South Lake Tahoe, CA. The eThirteen TRS is an outstanding front tire with great volume---and it will feel similar to your DHF when it comes to cornering traction and rolling resistance. The Morsa on the rear has very nice volume, good to very good cornering traction, good to very good rolling resistance, and decent drive and braking traction (not great). I think it is a very good tire combo but the Morsa can get a bit overwhelmed during high speed breaking in the loose and rough (your DHR2 will have noticeably better braking traction). That said, I am generally willing to give up some braking traction for less rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by badbandit View Post
    so i guess you can‘t have it all - which makes sense.
    either great support on climbs and while pedaling or an overall plush feeling.

i guess i am not a very hard rider, so most of the time i would be in the area, where it is not that plush.
    What tire pressure are you running on the 29 setup?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Anyone using onyx hubs on their mayhem? I was going to get i9s but I found a color of onynx that I like. It's about .5lb heavier though

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Anyone using onyx hubs on their mayhem? I was going to get i9s but I found a color of onynx that I like. It's about .5lb heavier though

Had on another bike. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I think I saw it in this thread earlier, but I'm considering the Mayhem vs. the Evil Following MB.

I used to have a Specialized Camber Evo (120mm f/r 29er) that I loved, but built it more and more towards XC as it had a pretty steep HA (68.8), only 120mm etc, but generally loved the speed over 29ers.
    I'm on a Bronson now and quite enjoy it on the downs, but I am a rider who also enjoys ripping some XC loops, big trail rides, along with most of my trips to places like Moab, Sedona, and whistler every year.
    Kind of looking for the one quiver bike that feels fairly at home ripping Whistler trail rides such as comfortably numb & the occasional park lap, the Whole Enchilada in Moab, Captain Ahab in Moab (my favourite trail anywhere), but would also be a pretty stellar bike for a 'XC' race like Moab Rocks & BC Bike Race (I've been wanting to return to having 1 bike period, multiple wheel sets with aggressive tires & a set with XC/trail tires).

Demo'd the Following in Sedona recently and really enjoyed it despite not really even being setup that well for myself. The 29er, with 130mm pike and slacker HTA had me clearing through the tech. rock stuff on hi line and hangover as if I was on my Bronson, despite the Following having worn out hockey puck tires (IMO).

I felt the 130mm fork was enough to handle and inspire confidence when paired with the slacker HTA and 29er wheels for steep descents into chunky rock, similar to the Bronson @ 150mm, and even perhaps more confidence inspiring as the 27.5 wheels lead me to pick my lines a bit more carefully to not get pulled into holes with the front wheel etc.

I felt the Following climbed well, didn't really 'surge' forward, but still felt some energy going up hill and pedalling, including while standing, which is what I feel the Bronson lacks, a bike that seems to sap my will to pedal.
    I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on the Following due to the feeling it's far more biased towards the enduro end of the spectrum, weight wise and the slacker seat tube angle has me wondering if that might bug me in the future.

I came across this thread and everything I've read and reviewed on paper leads me to believe the Spot Mayhem might address some of my concerns and hopes.
    Sounds like the Mayhem would likely be a stronger climber out of the saddle than the following, and maybe for longer gravel grind sort of climbs as well.

Anyone able to comment about more steep, techy climbs? I'm just wondering if it firms up so much on that type of terrain whether traction would be inhibited?

I'm also curious about the Mayhem vs. Following in terms of the 'bottomless' feel; I agreed with the reviews I read in that the following had a really plush feeling beyond it's 120mm, never really felt like I was really overwhelming the rear end too much through rock gardens as I would have on my Camber. (Camber always felt like it was skipping, skating & harsh in this terrain a bit no matter how I set the suspension).

Another place I'm curious where the Mayhem lies is handling in quick successive corners, the Following felt very agile, much like the 27.5 wheeled Bronson in that laying the bike over side to side quickly, and bombing tighter corners was possible, whereas my 29er hardtail and the Camber for some reason felt like they really fought this kind of handling (wanting to stand up instead of falling into the corner more).

Unfortunately I'm very unlikely to be able to demo the Mayhem as I'm up in CA, and I'm kind of wanting to pick up a new bike this fall/winter still for a big 2 week trip I have planned, as neither of my current bikes actually excite me to ride. (The bronson goes up hill well, but it still feels like a chore compared to an aggressive short travel 29er I feel my style of riding enjoys).

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Abiding-Dude View Post
    I think I saw it in this thread earlier, but I'm considering the Mayhem vs. the Evil Following MB.

I used to have a Specialized Camber Evo (120mm f/r 29er) that I loved, but built it more and more towards XC as it had a pretty steep HA (68.8), only 120mm etc, but generally loved the speed over 29ers.
    I'm on a Bronson now and quite enjoy it on the downs, but I am a rider who also enjoys ripping some XC loops, big trail rides, along with most of my trips to places like Moab, Sedona, and whistler every year.
    Kind of looking for the one quiver bike that feels fairly at home ripping Whistler trail rides such as comfortably numb & the occasional park lap, the Whole Enchilada in Moab, Captain Ahab in Moab (my favourite trail anywhere), but would also be a pretty stellar bike for a 'XC' race like Moab Rocks & BC Bike Race (I've been wanting to return to having 1 bike period, multiple wheel sets with aggressive tires & a set with XC/trail tires).

Demo'd the Following in Sedona recently and really enjoyed it despite not really even being setup that well for myself. The 29er, with 130mm pike and slacker HTA had me clearing through the tech. rock stuff on hi line and hangover as if I was on my Bronson, despite the Following having worn out hockey puck tires (IMO).

I felt the 130mm fork was enough to handle and inspire confidence when paired with the slacker HTA and 29er wheels for steep descents into chunky rock, similar to the Bronson @ 150mm, and even perhaps more confidence inspiring as the 27.5 wheels lead me to pick my lines a bit more carefully to not get pulled into holes with the front wheel etc.

I felt the Following climbed well, didn't really 'surge' forward, but still felt some energy going up hill and pedalling, including while standing, which is what I feel the Bronson lacks, a bike that seems to sap my will to pedal.
    I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on the Following due to the feeling it's far more biased towards the enduro end of the spectrum, weight wise and the slacker seat tube angle has me wondering if that might bug me in the future.

I came across this thread and everything I've read and reviewed on paper leads me to believe the Spot Mayhem might address some of my concerns and hopes.
    Sounds like the Mayhem would likely be a stronger climber out of the saddle than the following, and maybe for longer gravel grind sort of climbs as well.

Anyone able to comment about more steep, techy climbs? I'm just wondering if it firms up so much on that type of terrain whether traction would be inhibited?

I'm also curious about the Mayhem vs. Following in terms of the 'bottomless' feel; I agreed with the reviews I read in that the following had a really plush feeling beyond it's 120mm, never really felt like I was really overwhelming the rear end too much through rock gardens as I would have on my Camber. (Camber always felt like it was skipping, skating & harsh in this terrain a bit no matter how I set the suspension).

Another place I'm curious where the Mayhem lies is handling in quick successive corners, the Following felt very agile, much like the 27.5 wheeled Bronson in that laying the bike over side to side quickly, and bombing tighter corners was possible, whereas my 29er hardtail and the Camber for some reason felt like they really fought this kind of handling (wanting to stand up instead of falling into the corner more).

Unfortunately I'm very unlikely to be able to demo the Mayhem as I'm up in CA, and I'm kind of wanting to pick up a new bike this fall/winter still for a big 2 week trip I have planned, as neither of my current bikes actually excite me to ride. (The bronson goes up hill well, but it still feels like a chore compared to an aggressive short travel 29er I feel my style of riding enjoys).
    Wow that's a long post. Ina nutshell, I would call the guys at Spot to identify what the bike is capable of in the riding spots you speak of. I live in the east and we have techy, rocky and rooty climbs. I don't feel any harshness in these climbs nor any loss in traction. The bike climbs so well. In comparison to the Evil, I had a v1 Following. I think this bike climbs better and also feels bottomless. It's the rare pedal platform with this big hit feel that is cool. In regards to handling back and forth and fast turns, it's amazing. I have commented on that before. On paper it doesn't look like it should be. I always felt like I was loading the front in the a evil to rail turns. The geo in the Spot puts you more centered and makes turning easy.

mtbr member
    My Mayhem likes Moab. Whole Enchilada, Mag 7 and ahab Jackson rockstacker. Eats it all up. I’m running big rubber on wide rims and the 36 up front. I️ don’t trust tires under 1000 grams.

I️ had a Bronson that climbed like a pig but descended well. Rented a Camber in New Mexico that I️ hated, not slack at all. Felt like a bike path bike. Replaced my HD3 that I️ had dialed all the way in with this bike. Took me a few rides and a couple tweaks but I️ don’t miss the hd3 at all now.

Do a little research on where Spot is located and the trails these guys ride. Apex, White Ranch, Deer Creek and Dakota Ridge is where this bike was designed. Take a look at those trails and ask yourself if your trails are rougher. Nate Hills has follow cams on most of em.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    For anyone contemplating the DPX2 on the Mayhem vs the Stock DPS - do it. Im on a Rollik and got to ride a DPX2. The shock architecture is very different (as it should be by design) to the DPS. On the Rollik it erased any of my nits/niggles w the rear end. I know the Rollik and Mayhem do not share the same kinematics but the DPX2 is the real deal. We set sag/air and only adjusted 1 click rebound from starting and it was on!!

I suspect the DPX2 will offer that more plush feel some are missing on the Mayhem yet still provide the pedal support.

Formerly of Kent
    The HT on the Mayhem is pretty long, even in the small size. Great bike for all purpose riding, but it might be hard to get a good fit on the bike for aggressive XC racing, depending on your fit needs. Combined with a 130mm fork, I wouldn't be able to ride a Mayhem for that purpose. Couldn't climb or corner well enough at that height.

A 120/120mm bike would be ideal for Moab Rocks. Scott Spark 900 or similar.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

dmo
    mtbr member
    For anyone contemplating the DPX2 on the Mayhem vs the Stock DPS - do it. Im on a Rollik and got to ride a DPX2. The shock architecture is very different (as it should be by design) to the DPS. On the Rollik it erased any of my nits/niggles w the rear end. I know the Rollik and Mayhem do not share the same kinematics but the DPX2 is the real deal. We set sag/air and only adjusted 1 click rebound from starting and it was on!!

I suspect the DPX2 will offer that more plush feel some are missing on the Mayhem yet still provide the pedal support.
    Sounds good.

Why not an X2 instead?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

What is your weight and where did you set sag and pressure?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sounds good.

Why not an X2 instead?

Good question... never been discussed - let me bridge that one tomorrow.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast