Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by badbandit View Post
    hi,

i am from germany and there are no shops selling this sexy bike. because of this i have no chance to demo it before even really thinking about ordering one.

i have very long legs and a short torso (monkey style). i imagine, that the geo of the mayhem might suit me quite well. i need a steep SA, a quite short TT and a little higher front (otherwise i will have problems with my neck, when sitting to stretched). i also like longer bikes, because this makes the bike feel confident on fast decents.
    do you think this bike would fit for me?

the other question is, if this bike is more for shredding and needs to be ridden hard?
    i am nearly 50 and i prefer a little more comfort and a plush suspension. i do not ride hard - i prefer the bike to feel safe and eat the ground.

thank you for you opinions!
    nobody who can or wants to help?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    nobody who can or wants to help?
    What info are you still looking for?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    What info are you still looking for?
    i would like to know if the mayhem’s geo might fit my special body geo or how the geo of other mayhem riders is.

is the mayhem swallowing a lot or should i better look for a santa cruz HT LT, if i like it comfortable?

i am just interested in reading more about the feel of the mayhem. as i wrote, i have not the chance to demo one.
    a lot is being written about the great way it climbs. but how does it feel and behave on normal singletrails, smaller and medium bumps and how calm and secure does it feel on fast and rougher descents?

is the rear shock the perfect choice or should i consider getting the fox x2 or some other rear shock for the best and plushest feeling?

sorry, so many questions about a bike i will never see before i might buy it.

mtbr member
    i would like to know if the mayhem’s geo might fit my special body geo or how the geo of other mayhem riders is.

is the mayhem swallowing a lot or should i better look for a santa cruz HT LT, if i like it comfortable?

i am just interested in reading more about the feel of the mayhem. as i wrote, i have not the chance to demo one.
    a lot is being written about the great way it climbs. but how does it feel and behave on normal singletrails, smaller and medium bumps and how calm and secure does it feel on fast and rougher descents?

is the rear shock the perfect choice or should i consider getting the fox x2 or some other rear shock for the best and plushest feeling?

sorry, so many questions about a bike i will never see before i might buy it.
    Its kind of a hard question to answer, I know I like it more than my hightower, seems to fit me better to. Im not an over aggressive rider, im 42 5'11'' 32 inseam and weigh 230lbs. I ride a size large. Im still getting used to it, but it has been a great all around bike. I'm using a 70mm stem and enve bars 23mm rise 760 width.

I think if you buy one you will have no regrets.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    thank you for sharing your impressions!

all i read about the mayhem sounds very good. i really would like to have chance to try one.

mtbr member
    I'm really loving this bike, me and a group hit some really rocky trails in Big Bear WV, we did close to 25 miles and the bike handled everything great. When do you think a major magazine will do a full review on it?
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I'm really loving this bike, me and a group hit some really rocky trails in Big Bear WV, we did close to 25 miles and the bike handled everything great. When do you think a major magazine will do a full review on it?
    Who knows. A few reviewed the Rollik, but no sure I saw a super in depth one. I have ridden mine with both plus and 29 wheels. Great in both forms. I still can't explain how it handles and is so fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Had a real nice long ride yesterday on east coast rocks and roots.

The bike is awesome. Handled everything without question. It's super fast too. I have said it time and time again, I can't explain why it handles so well on turns. Geo suggests otherwise. Downhills are better than my Mojo 3. Faster in turns too. Climbs better. Balanced better than any bike I have had. Prs are falling. Not sure what detail anyone wants, but let me know if you have any questions.

I have both 29 and 27.5 wheel setups.

dmo
    mtbr member

The bike is awesome. Handled everything without question. It's super fast too. I have said it time and time again, I can't explain why it handles so well on turns. Geo suggests otherwise. Downhills are better than my Mojo 3. Faster in turns too. Climbs better. Balanced better than any bike I have had. Prs are falling. Not sure what detail anyone wants, but let me know if you have any questions.

Was that in 29 or 27.5+ form?

If I find a buyer for my Mojo3 I might consider one. You have any idea how it compares to the Pivot 5.5? That bike is on my list too

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    what does “prs are falling” mean?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Personal records

mtbr member
    When do you think a major magazine will do a full review on it?
    When Spot gets a 6 figure marketing budget so they can buy ads in said major magazine. They are literally a 5 guy operation. If you call for a test ride you'll get one of the engineers, owner or the sales guy to go with you. Super****ingcool.
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member
    May 2013
    NSMB has one on test. J

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Five rides in, 55 miles ridden and Im still smiling large!

I wanted to give my pro's and con's to my experience with Spot's Mayhem 27.5 +. I have the Boost frame running an 29" wheelset. I had the frame build with the 6-Star build kit from Spot. I swapped out the build dropper post with a Factory Series 150mm post. So it's close to the factory build. Oh I swapped out the grips too. I have to mention - Hats off to Ben at Cartecay Bike Shop in Ellijay. It was a pleasure working with them and they went above and beyond in their care and support through the process. If you are in the southeast I would highly recommend a call to these guys. Plus they ride these rigs personally and provided lots of great feedback and insight on their personal experience.

Pros
    - It climbs like a hardtail, seriously! It feels as if there's a rear lockout on this thing. The R&D spent on the climbing ability is absolutely apparent and works as advertised. It's truly something to behold as a rider. Also the front doesn't bob as bad as I thought it would on climbs. I leave the bike open on the front and rear and it's a climbing goat.
    - The small bump compliance is 100% spot on as well. It rear linkage takes away most of small trail chatter and bumps. I can't express enough how impressed I am of it's climbing ability.
    - The Mavic carbon and tire wheelset is spot on. The Mavic Quest Pro 2.5 tires are (IMO) patterned perfectly for the dry, rocky, singletrack XC trails of the southeast.
    - WIth only five rides ticked off, this is my first time running a 1x12 drivetrain. I will say I've been impressed so far. The XX1 is clean, fast and crisp in its shifting. The range so far has matched the local trails in my area. I plan on heading to Bear Creek our best "downhill" singletrack trail system in the state. This will further test it's climbing and downhill abilities. I can't wait for this ride day!

Cons
    - Well I only have five rides on it, but so far it's been worth the money, BUT..... and this a BIG BUT! I have two concerns that for the price should not be there.
    1. I question the longevity of the frame paint. I thought it would be a rock solid bake, but find it a bit weak on normal rubbing and nicks. The front brake housing (at times) will rub against the headtube. I've noticed slight scuffing of the paint there and it's a big bummer with only five rides in. I expected way more resiliency on this front.
    2. More attention to the frame... the chain tubes on both sides come with ribber frame shields to protect from kick ups etc.... Well both are already starting to pull away from the frame. I haven't washed it so these are pulling away on their own.

So while not purchase killers they do cause a big pause for me again for the amount of money spent on it. I would not expect these from a high-end boutique bike builder. So take these items into consideration if looking at this bike.

Worth mentioning - I'm 6'2" riding on a XL frame. I'm glad I got this versus the L which I was on the cusp of fitting. The longer wheelbase is great to have when pointing down or terrain gets sketchy.

So far my experience has been positive. When riding I find myself smiling more than I did on my previous bike (Niner Jet9 RDO). While there are long term questions for the frame's long term finish. I am still on board in stating this bike is as advertised and will inject a big'ole helping of HELL YEAH LET'S RIDE'ITICE into your veins.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-20170920_094202.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-20170920_094245.jpg  

mtbr member
    Paint quality can certainly vary, but I've found that frame tape is a must on all of my bikes to preserve the paint.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteMayhem View Post
    Cons
    - Well I only have five rides on it, but so far it's been worth the money, BUT..... and this a BIG BUT! I have two concerns that for the price should not be there.
    1. I question the longevity of the frame paint. I thought it would be a rock solid bake, but find it a bit weak on normal rubbing and nicks. The front brake housing (at times) will rub against the headtube. I've noticed slight scuffing of the paint there and it's a big bummer with only five rides in. I expected way more resiliency on this front.
    2. More attention to the frame... the chain tubes on both sides come with ribber frame shields to protect from kick ups etc.... Well both are already starting to pull away from the frame. I haven't washed it so these are pulling away on their own. .
    I have noticed the chainstay protector is pealing off mine to, and when I shift into the small cog it rubs on it. Im also a bigger rider and im having a hard time getting this shock to be more plush, feels like a hardtail to me at times..
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    I have noticed the chainstay protector is pealing off mine to, and when I shift into the small cog it rubs on it. Im also a bigger rider and im having a hard time getting this shock to be more plush, feels like a hardtail to me at times..
    Have you tried adding volume spacers and lowering the air pressure?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Sorry if this has been covered before but anyone know what fork I should get if I'm planning on building a 27.5+ Mayhem? What travel, axle to.crown and offset work best? I don't understand offset and trail no matter how many times I try.

Also, would a small or medium fit better if I'm 5'6"?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered before but anyone know what fork I should get if I'm planning on building a 27.5+ Mayhem? What travel, axle to.crown and offset work best? I don't understand offset and trail no matter how many times I try.

Also, would a small or medium fit better if I'm 5'6"?

Thanks!

Go with 140mm 29er fork. The Fox 34 in this has the correct axle to crown. 51mm offset. With that you can also run the 29er wheels if you want. This is my setup and it is great. Spot prefers this also. Their stock builds in 27.5 plus use a 130mm with a 10mm spacer. Skip that and go 140mm.

For you height is old go medium as these are not as long as some ok the longer geo bikes.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Go with 140mm 29er fork. The Fox 34 in this has the correct axle to crown. 51mm offset. With that you can also run the 29er wheels if you want. This is my setup and it is great. Spot prefers this also. Their stock builds in 27.5 plus use a 130mm with a 10mm spacer. Skip that and go 140mm.

For you height is old go medium as these are not as long as some ok the longer geo bikes.

Cool. Thanks.

Does fox or rock shox work better? I might try a Ohlins rfx 36 if i get one on sale. Or is it personal preference?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Cool. Thanks.

Does fox or rock shox work better? I might try a Ohlins rfx 36 if i get one on sale. Or is it personal preference?

Personal preference I would guess. But make sure the axle to crown in correct. In a few hours I can look a few up and let you know.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Personal preference I would guess. But make sure the axle to crown in correct. In a few hours I can look a few up and let you know.

Few more things I can't seem to figure out...

Does the frame come with a headset and is the bb threaded or pressfit?

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Few more things I can't seem to figure out...

Does the frame come with a headset and is the bb threaded or pressfit?

If you buy the frame only you will need to supply the headset. Threaded B.B.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'm torn between getting a Mayhem 27.5+ or the new Evil Following v2 27.5+. I've ridden Evils before and like how they ride. The Mayhem is be going off what I've read. I'll be moving my parts from a Mojo3 so I'll have to buy a new dropper if I get a Evil or a new HS if I get a Mayhem. I'd need a new 140mm fork either way.

I suspect the Mayhem will be a great climber and the Evil a great deacender. I'm also not sure about size. Maybe I'll give spot a call. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm torn between getting a Mayhem 27.5+ or the new Evil Following v2 27.5+. I've ridden Evils before and like how they ride. The Mayhem is be going off what I've read. I'll be moving my parts from a Mojo3 so I'll have to buy a new dropper if I get a Evil or a new HS if I get a Mayhem. I'd need a new 140mm fork either way.

I suspect the Mayhem will be a great climber and the Evil a great deacender. I'm also not sure about size. Maybe I'll give spot a call. Any ideas?

I had a V1 Following and a M3. I have written about the Spot vs M3 before. The Following, from I recall, was harsher in rock gardens for sure. The Spot climbs better and I dare say is better down as well. It's much pusher down than both. My major complaint about the Following was I had to always weight the front too much to rail turns. The Spot has a better balanced riding position and requires a lot less body finesse to move around. The upside to the Following is resale. The Following has a following so to speak. But I would put the Spot up against it anytime.

mtbr member

Mayhem. Steep seat angle/Living Link=great climber. Dropper seatpost/140mm fork/slack head angle/properly tuned rear shock/Living Link=great descender. Very fast bike.

dmo
    mtbr member
    What shock are people running on their mayhem? Is the stock good or should I get something else? I'll be using 27.5x2.8 wheels and I'm 155-160 in full kit depending...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What shock are people running on their mayhem? Is the stock good or should I get something else? I'll be using 27.5x2.8 wheels and I'm 155-160 in full kit depending...

Stock shock works well. It is run at a much lower pressure than you normally think. Run at 85% of your weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    When do you use the 29er setup and when do you use the 27.5+?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpath View Post
    When do you use the 29er setup and when do you use the 27.5+?
    Whenever I feel like it. I haven't decided which I like better. I will let you know.

mtbr member
    Question about the rear shock, it says EVOL on it, so does that mean we have a positive and negative air chamber? This could be why mine feels so harsh in the small bumps. Also does anyone know of a good video that shows how to set this up correctly?

Other than that im very happy with this bike, I have logged almost 200 miles on the bike and the only thing that is wearing down is that cheap chain stay protector, mine is ripping up pretty bad, from my shoe hitting it.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

dmo
    mtbr member
    Question about the rear shock, it says EVOL on it, so does that mean we have a positive and negative air chamber? This could be why mine feels so harsh in the small bumps. Also does anyone know of a good video that shows how to set this up correctly?

Other than that im very happy with this bike, I have logged almost 200 miles on the bike and the only thing that is wearing down is that cheap chain stay protector, mine is ripping up pretty bad, from my shoe hitting it.
    Harsh over small bumps? Is this true? I haven't gotten mine yet but could you be running too high pressure?

Someone else want to chime in?

mtbr member

Yes. Positive and larger than non Evol negative air chamber. Let all the air out slowly from your shock. Then pump it up to 50 psi then exercise the shock 10-20 times through 25% of the travel. Do this for every 50 psi you add. This ensures the positive and negative air chambers equalize. Otherwise you will have a harsh feeling shock. http://www.ridefox.com/2016/dl/bike/...white-revA.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

The setup of this bike is different. Stay at 85% of your weight. Set rebounds by Fox recommended settings. Guaranteed you have too much pressure.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Good to know. Anyone experiment with any other shocks besides the stock?

mtbr member
    Good to know. Anyone experiment with any other shocks besides the stock?

I think the living link adds a bit of spring assist so definitely less air pressure on the rear shock will work better. I took the stock shock off from the start since I had better shocks to put on. I have a 140mm 36 up front.
    So far I have had a fox x2 performance (only low speed adjustments) on for a few rides and found that I had to lower the air pressure quite a bit and it was running well but had too much sag. I took it off to add a volume spacer but decided to try a recently rebuild CC Inline. The Inline has low and high adjustments so I opened them up and it has been really good for the last 3 rides. I just don't know how long the inline will last before another rebuild.
    I do have a x2 factory (low/high speed adjustments) and a DVO topaz (on other bikes) that I will be trying out as well.

dmo
    mtbr member
    You think the x2 factory will be different than the performance? How is the DVO?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    You think the x2 factory will be different than the performance? How is the DVO?

Guys, if this is the first you have been told to start with 85%, then absolutely you have set wring. As well you will set any shock wrong. Follow Spots directions. Otherwise you are chasing your tails and making incorrect reviews and comments.

mtbr member
    I think so since I will have the ability to lower the high speed settings on the X2F. I thought the X2P had a bit too much mid travel support. I have not ridden the Topaz in a while but I seem to remember that it did lack mid travel support in comparison to the X2 so it might work well with the living link.
    It is fun trying out all these shocks but the bike will work well with all the shocks provided that they are tuned/setup properly.

mtbr member
    Guys, if this is the first you have been told to start with 85%, then absolutely you have set wring. As well you will set any shock wrong. Follow Spots directions. Otherwise you are chasing your tails and making incorrect reviews and comments.

My ridding weight is 185lbs and 85% is 157psi. I found that the x2 performed best in the 145 to 150 range. I cant recall the exact pressure in the inline but it was in the 150-160 range. Compression settings on the open side and rebound settings on the open side of middle. Full travel no harsh bottoming.

mtbr member
    Well I did find out that the EVOL sleeve does require adding air slowly to get the air into the positive and negative chambers, so I will be trying to figure this out...

Second, For the guys running plus wheels, how wide are your rims and what tires have you used. A buddy of mine has a set of Roval 6fattie 38 rims hes going to let me try out, do you think a 3.0 tire will fit?

Third, the new edition of "BIKE" magazine has a small review on the Mayhem...Overall my take is they think its a good bike...FWIW
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Well I did find out that the EVOL sleeve does require adding air slowly to get the air into the positive and negative chambers, so I will be trying to figure this out...

Second, For the guys running plus wheels, how wide are your rims and what tires have you used. A buddy of mine has a set of Roval 6fattie 38 rims hes going to let me try out, do you think a 3.0 tire will fit?

Third, the new edition of "BIKE" magazine has a small review on the Mayhem...Overall my take is they think its a good bike...FWIW
    That is a great write-up in many ways. It describes the behavior of the bike better than I can. I run Plus Tires and have 29er Wheels as well. Unfortunately I don't have much time on the 29er Wheels yet cuz I just got them recently. But there is a lot to be said for the balance of the bike, the seating position for everything you encounter, and the efficiency of the pedaling while having great downhill abilities. It's generally what I have been saying all along.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Starting my Mayhem build. I'm going 27.5+. Any tips or things you wish were different with your build? Hope to get a few rides in before the snow flies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Starting my Mayhem build. I'm going 27.5+. Any tips or things you wish were different with your build? Hope to get a few rides in before the snow flies.

Setup shock correctly. If you can get your hands on a Shockwiz, it will help with setting rebound. What is your weight? If installing a dropper, read directions on feeding the cable.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Setup shock correctly. If you can get your hands on a Shockwiz, it will help with setting rebound. What is your weight? If installing a dropper, read directions on feeding the cable.

Yup, I have a shockwiz. Should I tune it with the shock fully open?

I'm just shy of 160 in full kit

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yup, I have a shockwiz. Should I tune it with the shock fully open?

I'm just shy of 160 in full kit

Yeah fully open. My guess is rebound on the shock will be about 5 clicks out. The plus tires affect rebound and you will find you need to give it more rebound than non plus sizes. It's a good starting point.

mtbr member

Read Post #299 for dropper install
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    OK, lets try round 2 with my Mayham. Maybe it will work this time.

I used my own chain stay protector and installed it the way Spot should have done it !! Going with the pike at 150mm, waiting for new 2018 air shaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070866.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070880.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070819.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070822.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    OK, lets try round 2 with my Mayham. Maybe it will work this time.

I used my own chain stay protector and installed it the way Spot should have done it !! Going with the pike at 150mm, waiting for new 2018 air shaft.
    Did you cover up the red inside the rear triangle?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea I removed the rear end sent it out to my body guy, they painted it Mercedes silver to match the silver Spot logo. The down tube I just covered with carbon vinyl car rap, personally I did not like the paint on the inside rear triangle. I love the color now, very high quality plus I now know how to service the rear. The bearings are chinese with rubber o-rings as gaskets for protection from elements. Easy to work on!! The silver looks great with blue or purple. I have a set of 27.5+ wheels with 2.8 tires I will also try this time. 150mm fork will help raise the BB, I think it's on the low side with the 27.5 wheels plus the 150mm fork will slacken the seat tube angle. I may need to go with a set back dropper, will see!! The next bike will be the new 2018 Trek Fuel ex 9.9 if all fails. I just had one for a week demo and I rode it 6 days straight on my local Brandywine trails in DE.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Pulled the trigger today on a Mayhem black in XL, I'm 6'2". Ordered the frame only. Planing on 140mm Fox 34 or 36, not certain at this point. Plan to use as my main trail bike. I'm mostly an XC guy that likes 40,60,80,100 mile rides with lots and lots of climbing and descending. Live in Utah Wasatch front and get down to the desert multiple times a year.
    Thing I can't understand in the 170mm crank spec. I understand the increased pedal clearance purpose, but the bb height seems good compared to other bikes in the same short travel 29 trail bucket. Does it ride low in it's travel?
    I have some Cannondale SI 172.5 cranks I'll mount, but don't see going 170, thats too DH for me. Open to new ideas, but having several bikes and 180 on my SS, I think that it will feel much different that my other bikes. Had 170 on a bike before and did not really like it.
    Purchased without a demo ride.....scary!
    Fingers crossed the geo and Living link is all that and more....
    May do Eagle or Di2 which I have currently running 1 x 11. Like the 50, but would do e13 9-46 wth di2. Have quality parts for the build, but need a fork, wheels and tires. Build my own wheels and will do at least 28mm internal. Run 30mm internal now and like it. Cheap asian carbon rims have have rocked on for many miles so confident in them. Onyx or I9 hubset, but likely I9 cause I'm a little bit weight weenie.
    Well, hope I did not put anyone to sleep with my post if still reading. Will let you know what I think when I get it built and ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonman View Post
    Pulled the trigger today on a Mayhem black in XL, I'm 6'2". Ordered the frame only. Planing on 140mm Fox 34 or 36, not certain at this point. Plan to use as my main trail bike. I'm mostly an XC guy that likes 40,60,80,100 mile rides with lots and lots of climbing and descending. Live in Utah Wasatch front and get down to the desert multiple times a year.
    Thing I can't understand in the 170mm crank spec. I understand the increased pedal clearance purpose, but the bb height seems good compared to other bikes in the same short travel 29 trail bucket. Does it ride low in it's travel?
    I have some Cannondale SI 172.5 cranks I'll mount, but don't see going 170, thats too DH for me. Open to new ideas, but having several bikes and 180 on my SS, I think that it will feel much different that my other bikes. Had 170 on a bike before and did not really like it.
    Purchased without a demo ride.....scary!
    Fingers crossed the geo and Living link is all that and more....
    May do Eagle or Di2 which I have currently running 1 x 11. Like the 50, but would do e13 9-46 wth di2. Have quality parts for the build, but need a fork, wheels and tires. Build my own wheels and will do at least 28mm internal. Run 30mm internal now and like it. Cheap asian carbon rims have have rocked on for many miles so confident in them. Onyx or I9 hubset, but likely I9 cause I'm a little bit weight weenie.
    Well, hope I did not put anyone to sleep with my post if still reading. Will let you know what I think when I get it built and ride.
    Fox 34 if you are a weight weenie, but the new 2018 fox 36 is so buttery amaze balls and stiff and not much heavier. Your choice. The 170mm cranks are specific on the complete builds for the purpose of running 27.5 plus. In 29er mode the BB isn't low. So if you plan to only run 29er or don't care and might just try 27.5 plus, longer cranks will be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Fox 34 if you are a weight weenie, but the new 2018 fox 36 is so buttery amaze balls and stiff and not much heavier. Your choice. The 170mm cranks are specific on the complete builds for the purpose of running 27.5 plus. In 29er mode the BB isn't low. So if you plan to only run 29er or don't care and might just try 27.5 plus, longer cranks will be fine.

Use the new project 321 hubs, same weight as i9 just a few grams more. Much better bearings with higher engagement and quiet. Go with the 175mm crank arms and a 2018 Pike fork just 66 grams more than Fox 34 and stiffer if you want a lighter front end than the Fox 36.

mtbr member
    I got 175mm raceface next cranks on mine in 29er mode with a 140mm fox 34, So far no pedal strikes in almost 500 miles of riding the bike.
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

You made the correct decision on the Pike. I had the Fox 34 at 140mm the 1st time I built it up then I tore it down and was going to sell it. I can now say I'm so glad I built it up again. This time with the 2018 Pike at 130mm at this point and found I need a much longer stem than 55mm.

The reason is since I have a large frame at 5'91/2, my saddle is fairly low because of my short legs. Bogeydog is right most will have trouble setting this bike correct. As seat goes up higher the further your reach is from bar. I also have a long upper body with long arms and torso so I needed a longer stem 90mm right now to give me space in the cockpit. Yea I don't like the way it sounds or looks but I love the way the bike rides now!! Got rid of the oval ring also. The Pike fork feels much stiffer with noticeable less flex, small bump compliance now matches the rear shock perfectly.

This bike is 2 inches longer than my 2016 Fuel ex and again as Bogeydog as stated is corners like crazy and carries speed. I love the way it goes down technical decents no bouncing off rocks, really holds the line with stiff frame not flexing in the wrong way. When lowering the saddle all the way you really feel in the bike not on top Like I did before. Going to try a 80mm stem. I love my new Wheels even though only 30mm ex. LB carbon rims down hill layup with extra carbon. 28hole Sapim cx ray spokes with Project 321 rear hub and DT Swiss 240 front hub. Love the the Bontrager XR4 team Issue 29x2.40 tires. Wheel set 1598g. Just ordered Shimano Saint front caliper to go with the XTR Race lever. Weight with Shimano XTR race pedals 27.42lbs. Ordered the 140mm air shaft, but at 130mm Pike feels awesome with the mid travel support. I have 3 2017 Fox 34 I'm selling !!

Anyone having trouble setting up this bike just me patient!! The Pivot Swithblade and the new 2018 Fuel EX 9.9 have now been forgotten!!

One more thing this bike climbs out of the saddle better than all my other bikes, feels like a hardtrail.

mtbr member
    You made the correct decision on the Pike. I had the Fox 34 at 140mm the 1st time I built it up then I tore it down and was going to sell it. I can now say I'm so glad I built it up again. This time with the 2018 Pike at 130mm at this point and found I need a much longer stem than 55mm.

The reason is since I have a large frame at 5'91/2, my saddle is fairly low because of my short legs. Bogeydog is right most will have trouble setting this bike correct. As seat goes up higher the further your reach is from bar. I also have a long upper body with long arms and torso so I needed a longer stem 90mm right now to give me space in the cockpit. Yea I don't like the way it sounds or looks but I love the way the bike rides now!! Got rid of the oval ring also. The Pike fork feels much stiffer with noticeable less flex, small bump compliance now matches the rear shock perfectly.

This bike is 2 inches longer than my 2016 Fuel ex and again as Bogeydog as stated is corners like crazy and carries speed. I love the way it goes down technical decents no bouncing off rocks, really holds the line with stiff frame not flexing in the wrong way. When lowering the saddle all the way you really feel in the bike not on top Like I did before. Going to try a 80mm stem. I love my new Wheels even though only 30mm ex. LB carbon rims down hill layup with extra carbon. 28hole Sapim cx ray spokes with Project 321 rear hub and DT Swiss 240 front hub. Love the the Bontrager XR4 team Issue 29x2.40 tires. Wheel set 1598g. Just ordered Shimano Saint front caliper to go with the XTR Race lever. Weight with Shimano XTR race pedals 27.42lbs. Ordered the 140mm air shaft, but at 130mm Pike feels awesome with the mid travel support. I have 3 2017 Fox 34 I'm selling !!

Anyone having trouble setting up this bike just me patient!! The Pivot Swithblade and the new 2018 Fuel EX 9.9 have now been forgotten!!

One more thing this bike climbs out of the saddle better than all my other bikes, feels like a hardtrail.
    I have a 2018 Fox Factory 34 and I love it, I had a Pike on my last bike and feel the fox is a tad better, I think either one is an amazing fork
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Glad to hear. Keep at it. I have been running P321 with Knight rims. Good stuff.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'm still working on getting my Mayhem built up. It takes time with two little kids and work etc but I'm getting there. This is the first build where I've done everything myself (except build the wheels). I usually have had the shop put in the BB and HS but this time I got the tools and did it myself.

Anyway, in regards to bike setup do you use the knee over pedal spindle method to determine seat position? Right now I have a 40mm stem on and that feels good with one 10mm spacer under it. I'm hoping to get the position pretty close to dialed the first time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm still working on getting my Mayhem built up. It takes time with two little kids and work etc but I'm getting there. This is the first build where I've done everything myself (except build the wheels). I usually have had the shop put in the BB and HS but this time I got the tools and did it myself.

Anyway, in regards to bike setup do you use the knee over pedal spindle method to determine seat position? Right now I have a 40mm stem on and that feels good with one 10mm spacer under it. I'm hoping to get the position pretty close to dialed the first time.

Just remember that the STA is steeper and that may feel odd at first. Whatever method you use to set seat at first will do. In time, you will likely jockey it around a little. Also depends on the seat.

mtbr member

Cool looking bike, how wide are your rims and are those 2.8 or 3.0 tires?

As for seat position the bike I demoed had one 10mm spacer with 60mm stem so thats how I built my large up. feels pretty good. But every ones arm/torso/legs will be different.

Although the demo had straight bars and mine are Enve with 23mm rise, which I prefer more
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

dmo
    mtbr member
    Cool looking bike, how wide are your rims and are those 2.8 or 3.0 tires?

As for seat position the bike I demoed had one 10mm spacer with 60mm stem so thats how I built my large up. feels pretty good. But every ones arm/torso/legs will be different.

Although the demo had straight bars and mine are Enve with 23mm rise, which I prefer more
    Thanks.

Those are 2.8 tires on 52mm rims, though maxxis measures more like 2.7.

The 40mm stem feels good to me as I have shorter torso and arms. It's a medium frame. I just wonder about weight on the front end with that steep STA. Do you have to pay extra attention to un weight the front wheel when rolling over things?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks.

Those are 2.8 tires on 52mm rims, though maxxis measures more like 2.7.

The 40mm stem feels good to me as I have shorter torso and arms. It's a medium frame. I just wonder about weight on the front end with that steep STA. Do you have to pay extra attention to un weight the front wheel when rolling over things?

I have a 30mm on my small. Have ran 40mm as well. Tomorrow I am working with a fitter who has the GURU system and will dial it in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Where do you live? I wonder about climbing and tight switchbacks with the 140mm fork. Any wheel flop? thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks! I mean to say they oynx hubs are heavy. I have a 2018 Pike I'm going to convert to 140.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonman View Post
    Where do you live? I wonder about climbing and tight switchbacks with the 140mm fork. Any wheel flop? thanks!
    I run mine at 140 and no wheel flop at all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gryeti View Post
    I run mine at 140 and no wheel flop at all.
    None

mtbr member
    I have mine with 29er wheels ( 24mm ID but will be upgrading), with a Fox 36/20mm axle/140mm/MRP Fulfill fork and fox X2factory shock on the rear. I am finally happy with the suspension feel.
    This bike is an ebike on the climbs (it has that living link motor) and fast fast everywhere!
    Originally I found the cockpit to be a bit short but now that I have have gotten familiar with the geometry and suspension feel, it handles like a dream. No wheel flop on climbs and very stable on the downs.

I have 27.5 plus wheels that I want to try but I am having such a blast as it is that I am putting it off for a bit.

Only concerns are the:
    -Chainstay protectors are becoming unglued
    -Deraileur hanger is a bit soft. After some rough rides I have had to get alignment tool out. I have another hanger that I will be putting on.
    - I can not ride any of my other bikes (I have a few)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-spot-27.5-plus-wheels.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-spot-mayhem-29-.jpg  

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    I have mine with 29er wheels ( 24mm ID but will be upgrading), with a Fox 36/20mm axle/140mm/MRP Fulfill fork and fox X2factory shock on the rear. I am finally happy with the suspension feel.
    This bike is an ebike on the climbs (it has that living link motor) and fast fast everywhere!
    Originally I found the cockpit to be a bit short but now that I have have gotten familiar with the geometry and suspension feel, it handles like a dream. No wheel flop on climbs and very stable on the downs.

I have 27.5 plus wheels that I want to try but I am having such a blast as it is that I am putting it off for a bit.

Only concerns are the:
    -Chainstay protectors are becoming unglued
    -Deraileur hanger is a bit soft. After some rough rides I have had to get alignment tool out. I have another hanger that I will be putting on.
    - I can not ride any of my other bikes (I have a few)
    How do you like it with the X2? I'm debating getting one. Could you not get the stock shock the way you like?

mtbr member
    How do you like it with the X2? I'm debating getting one. Could you not get the stock shock the way you like?

I have used the X2 for a while on other bikes and I really like it. I don't mine the weight for the better suspension. It works well with the 36. The bike weighs just over 30lbls.
    I never tried the stock shock but tried an updated CC inline but still went back to the X2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Check the picts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_1278.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_1284.jpg  

Last edited by dgw7000; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:41 PM.

mtbr member
    I just read that "Bike" magazine has the Mayhem as one of there bible bikes, it will be cool to see what they have to say and how it compares vs the other bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I just read that "Bike" magazine has the Mayhem as one of there bible bikes, it will be cool to see what they have to say and how it compares vs the other bikes.
    Cool. A shop owner in the area who does not sell spot however rode a Spot Mayhem in the spring, feels it's the best full suspension bike on the market right now He is a very accomplished Rider and has been around for many years.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Had my first ride on my Mayhem 27.5+ today. 75 degree day in late October made for a great day. Only one ride in but I thought I'd share somenof my observations.

First, a little about where I'm coming from. I ride in the northeast US, New England so the trails have lots of roots and rocks but not a ton of sustained elevation changes. I'm 5'6, 156lb and on a medium Mayhem. I have a 40mm stem and the fit feels spot on. I'm coming off of a Ibis Mojo 3 that never really felt composed to me. It was always a little twitchy and I had problems with fit due to the low stack height.

I set the shock up based on 85% of my weight or 133psi and left wide open on my ride. I ended up dropping down to 130psi mid ride. The Mayhem feels super efficient and stiff and almost feels oversprung to me. I've barely tried to tune it and will be putting a shockwiz on to help. The bike reminds me of a Yeti SB95c I got a few years back only better. Every pedal stroke moves you forward and it doesn't get hung up in technical climbs.

Having said that though another bike I have now is an Evil Insurgent. I considered getting the new Following before getting the mayhem but didn't want to end up with 2 bikes that were very similar, if only in design anyway. I have my suspension set up very plush with no low speed compression damping and volume spacer to make the suspension spring rate more progressive. The insurgent climbs relatively well for what it is (150mm f&r) and descends incredibly well. It's super fun. If you've ridden an Evil you know what I mean. I want to try to get the rear end of the mayhem to feel closer to how my insurgent is. I think the shock on the mayhem ramps up too much. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it to open up early in it's travel without feeling like its wallowing. I'll keep working with it but wonder if a custom tune or a different shock would suit me better.

I know set up can be tricky to get the most out of the bike. The saddle is pretty much centered over the post but might try moving it back just a tiny bit to see if my weight being more rearward makes any difference.

Anyone who has spent more time on their mayhem go ahead and chime in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What you may be feeling is the mid stroke firmness created by the leaf spring suspension. It is designed to firm up quickly for peddling. On the other side of this it becomes very plush. You will feel this on larger hits and drops. I think you are probably not getting far enough in the travel feel this. That is why you can run the shock at a lower pressure than most other bike setups. It's essentially low speed plush mid-stroke firm deep travel plush.

mtbr member
    I would suggest a custom tune (lighter shim stack if possible) for your weight or getting a shock with 4 way adjustment like X2 or DB inline IL.
    I found that getting the fork set right first helped.
    On the rear (X2) I set the air around 85% of my weight (25-30% Sag) and then I set the compression settings towards open and firmed up (towards closed) the rebound until it felt dull. I then opened the rebound click by click until I felt the right balance. It feels good now. I ended up with more slow speed rebound then I thought I would.
    For a 130mm travel bike with such a great pedal platform it will never be super plush when comparing it to 140-150 mm bikes.
    I am sure they are working on increasing the travel. Or maybe another bike dedicated to long travel 29.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I would suggest a custom tune (lighter shim stack if possible) for your weight or getting a shock with 4 way adjustment like X2 or DB inline IL.
    On the rear (X2) I set the air around 85% of my weight (25-30% Sag) and then I set the compression settings towards open and firmed up (towards closed) the rebound until it felt dull. I then opened the rebound click by click until I felt the right balance. It feels good now. I ended up with more slow speed rebound then I thought I would.
    For a 130mm travel bike with such a great pedal platform it will never be super plush when comparing it to 140-150 mm bikes.
    I am sure they are working on increasing the travel. Or maybe another bike dedicated to long travel 29.
    I echo your rebound comments.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Between a custom tune, the X2 or DB I line IL what do you think would work best? I just got a DB inline IL for my old SB95c and really like it. The X2 is almost twice the cost of the DB. I don't want to spend d $600+ for a X2 right now

mtbr member
    For the money and weight the inline worked really well. I would be happy with it if I did not already have an X2. It is the reliability and frequent service of the inline and consistency of the X2 that makes the X2 the better choice. Kind of like the fox 36 vs the other top forks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Check the picts!
    Just wanted to update on what happened when I installed my 2015 non boost 160mm pike with Derby 35mm rim with Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29x2.35 tire on the Mayham. 2 great rides now and I believe this bike needs a longer travel fork. I can't get over how well it climbs, I do have stem slamed down all the way. 75mm stem that just works the best for me, I went up some very steep rocky climbs today and the front end stayed down and the traction was amazing. Maybe with 160mm fork on it's shifting weight back slightly and putting weight back over wheel making better traction. Bike also manuals better now. On the downs it's a rock eating beast and find myself launching off large log overs with better speed. The bike still steers great with no wheel flop and corners just sightly slower than with Pike at 130mm.

Definitely going to go with the 150mm Air Spring on my 2018 Pike, I also put a Shimano Saint front brake caliper on with my XTR lever and going with 203 rotor for more stopping power with the increased speed.

I may go for the new Fox DPX2 shock, but I love the way the stock shock stiffens up under hard peddling power especially out of the saddle.

So glad I did not sell this frame, the right fork and proper cockpit setup are key on the Mayham. The frame is so stiff it will expose the week link and have not had any problems setting up rear shock 85% of body weight works perfect for me and using all the travel. Can't wait to ride tomorrow!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just wanted to update on what happened when I installed my 2015 non boost 160mm pike with Derby 35mm rim with Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29x2.35 tire on the Mayham. 2 great rides now and I believe this bike needs a longer travel fork. I can't get over how well it climbs, I do have stem slamed down all the way. 75mm stem that just works the best for me, I went up some very steep rocky climbs today and the front end stayed down and the traction was amazing. Maybe with 160mm fork on it's shifting weight back slightly and putting weight back over wheel making better traction. Bike also manuals better now. On the downs it's a rock eating beast and find myself launching off large log overs with better speed. The bike still steers great with no wheel flop and corners just sightly slower than with Pike at 130mm.

Definitely going to go with the 150mm Air Spring on my 2018 Pike, I also put a Shimano Saint front brake caliper on with my XTR lever and going with 203 rotor for more stopping power with the increased speed.

I may go for the new Fox DPX2 shock, but I love the way the stock shock stiffens up under hard peddling power especially out of the saddle.

So glad I did not sell this frame, the right fork and proper cockpit setup are key on the Mayham. The frame is so stiff it will expose the week link and have not had any problems setting up rear shock 85% of body weight works perfect for me and using all the travel. Can't wait to ride tomorrow!!
    Great. I have a 140mm on the front with 29er wheels. I did this so I could run Plus size too without switching anything. Obviously the longer front slacks the STA. I also have my seat mive rearward a bit. As I have said all along, setup is key and takes some time and effort.

mtbr member
    Just heading out for my 4th ride this week. Just can't get enough of this bike.
    When I had a pike 150 on it, it performed well every where except some steep/tight switchback climbs. The steering was bit slow and hard to turn. I will give it another try now that I am familiar with the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What chain line are you guys using? Is your front chainring boost or non boost? That means either 49 mm or 52 mm.

mtbr member
    53mm chainline with 30T.
    I am using a shimano/one up 11-50 cassette with shimano XT boost crankset . There is space to use a 50mm crankset wit 30T chainring which I will try next time I replace my cassette/chain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I can't tell you guys how much fun I'm haviing on the Mayham with the 160mm pike and the a supper stiff front wheel like the Derby 35mm.

I going to break down my non boost Onyx hubs that are on the Derby's rims and send them back to Onyx as they have an up-grade program to any current hub size you like for 1/2 of retail. I'll get the boost set with new alloy driver that will save some weight off the rear hub but still get the anti-freeze power coat color that all most glows in the dark. No other hubs spins like Onyx with the German hybrid ceramic bearings and sprag clutch.

For now just going to keep riding this bike at 160mm, I now feel like I'm perfectly balanced on the Mayham and love the seat post angle I have with the slack out fork at 160mm. This could be the perfect trail bike!! I even had a chance to compare to my friends 2018 Trek Slash last night. I front end on the Slash felt so much heavier then the Mayham as did the whole bike. He is a hard core Trek guy but did say how well the Mayham did firm up while pedaling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070075.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1060933.jpg  

Dab-O-Matic
    [QUOTE=dgw7000;13390036]
    I going to break down my non boost Onyx hubs that are on the Derby's rims and send them back to Onyx as they have an up-grade program to any current hub size you like for 1/2 of retail. I'll get the boost set with new alloy driver that will save some weight off the rear hub but still get the anti-freeze power coat color that all most glows in the dark. No other hubs spins like Onyx with the German hybrid ceramic bearings and sprag clutch.
    [QUOTE]

FYI, I recently talked with Onyx folks and the "new" alloy hub is not expected until mid 2018. They are in "field test" now.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    SB5c X0
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    ASRc (ret)
    SB95c (ret)
    SB95a (reti)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    [QUOTE=Simplemind;13390049][QUOTE=dgw7000;13390036]

FYI, I recently talked with Onyx folks and the "new" alloy hub is not expected until mid 2018. They are in "field test" now.

Yea I was just talking about the lighter free hub XD driver!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    [QUOTE=Simplemind;13390049][QUOTE=dgw7000;13390036]

I was seriously wanting to buy a set of these hubs tomorrow are you saying they have a new hub coming in at much lighter weight? This is gonna be real tough now

Formerly of Kent
    What kind of weight are people getting with these?

I'd love to have a 26lb, 130mm travel 650b+ bike.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    What kind of weight are people getting with these?

I'd love to have a 26lb, 130mm travel 650b+ bike.
    Mine is 26.5 with top shelf everything including dropper and pedals. I can't see getting it much lower without compromising strength. I

mtbr member
    Mine is 26.5 with top shelf everything including dropper and pedals. I can't see getting it much lower without compromising strength. I

Wow mine is 30 on the nose, I have no clue how you lost 4 lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Small black frame
    Fox 34 140mm frame
    Knight Enduro wheels with Vittoria Barzo 29x2.35
    RF 165mm carbon cranks
    Absolute Black 30t
    Xx1 cassette, trigger, derailleur and chain
    TIME XC 12 pedals
    Fox Transfer 100mm dropper with Wolftooth lever
    Enve 40mm stem
    Mcfk bars
    Sram Guide Ultimate brakes with centerline x rotors
    Sqlab 611 seat
    Esi grips

mtbr member
    Im on a large frame
    Fox Factory 34 140mm
    Wheels DT Swiss XM481
    Tires Minion DHF, HR2
    RF 175 Carbon Crank w/ absolute black oval
    Enve Bars/Renthal Stem
    Shimano Zee Brakes
    KS Lev Integra 150mm
    GX 11speed Drivetrain

Formerly of Kent
    Im on a large frame
    Fox Factory 34 140mm
    Wheels DT Swiss XM481
    Tires Minion DHF, HR2
    RF 175 Carbon Crank w/ absolute black oval
    Enve Bars/Renthal Stem
    Shimano Zee Brakes
    KS Lev Integra 150mm
    GX 11speed Drivetrain
    Yeah, everything you listed is heavier and not necessarily stronger than the parts you listed. Throwing more material at a stem, for example, might not do anything other than add weight.

A 140lb rider doesn't need parts with the highest possible fatigue resistance. Therefore, "durable enough" and lighter works for some. It might not for you.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Yeah, everything you listed is heavier and not necessarily stronger than the parts you listed. Throwing more material at a stem, for example, might not do anything other than add weight.

A 140lb rider doesn't need parts with the highest possible fatigue resistance. Therefore, "durable enough" and lighter works for some. It might not for you.

Except im not 140..try 240 on a good day
    2018 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

Formerly of Kent
    Except im not 140..try 240 on a good day
    Well, that's why someone like Bogey can ride a 26lb bike, and you ride a 30lb bike.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are there any Turner Czar owners out there that own or have ridden the Mayhem29 and that can compare their experience? My bike was stolen recently and I am on the hunt while I figure out the insurance situation. Also, what about the longer wheelbase on tighter twisty smooth stuff? Tahoe/Auburn has lots of smooth single track along with some rocky tight technical stuff and a fair amount of climbing (2k feet/10 miles average I'd say) I was primarily focusing on a short travel fun 29er than climbs well and is fun downhill. Loved the Czar and may just do that again but it'd be nice to try something different. Yeti SB4.5 felt nice to me on the pavement but so did the Ripley. Trek EX9.8/9.9 felt OK.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 49flatfish View Post
    Are there any Turner Czar owners out there that own or have ridden the Mayhem29 and that can compare their experience? My bike was stolen recently and I am on the hunt while I figure out the insurance situation. Also, what about the longer wheelbase on tighter twisty smooth stuff? Tahoe/Auburn has lots of smooth single track along with some rocky tight technical stuff and a fair amount of climbing (2k feet/10 miles average I'd say) I was primarily focusing on a short travel fun 29er than climbs well and is fun downhill. Loved the Czar and may just do that again but it'd be nice to try something different. Yeti SB4.5 felt nice to me on the pavement but so did the Ripley. Trek EX9.8/9.9 felt OK.
    You can't tell anything from the parking lot!! Mayham is longer but just handles so well. I have tested alot of bikes except the Czar. Today I get a chance to ride the Pivot Switchblade for the day. My friend has it for the week, top end build with Eagle and carbon wheels 29er. He also loves my Mayham so we will see. I'm still loving the Mayham with the 160mm pike on the front. 7 great rides and I just love this bike!! When I wake in the morning all I think about is riding the Mayham!!

Anyone know where to get a better derailure hanger, hanger is too soft and bends really easy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. It doesn't sound like the longer wheelbase is an issue. Maybe having your center of gravity pushed towards the front wheel helps. I hope they improve the hanger and chain protector. I've ridden an older Spot single speed and really liked it. The geometry was great. I will stay tuned especially to those comparing this to some of the shorter travel 29ers. Mayhem is on my short list but it is a decent outlay of cash to roll the dice.

mtbr member
    Anyone know where to get a better derailure hanger, hanger is too soft and bends really easy.
    Yes there is a new version. I got mine from Ethan FlowZone | Maverick Suspension and Service
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-dsc_0787.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just picked my Mayhem from Ethan this morning. Blew out the seals on my Evol last week so I had him do the warranty rebuild on it. I ended up treating myself to a new DPX2, hope to get the inaugural ride on it mańana before the snow comes Monday. Anyone in the market for a newly rebuilt Evol shoot me a pm and I will give you a good deal! Thought about keeping it for a spare but that is just silly.
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast