Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    So, Race Face BSA30 BB + one spacer on the drive side BB cup + Next SL G4, and non-Boost OneUp Switch Cinch spider put the ring miiiiiiight close to the rear mech housing strap-down bolt. I think I need to put a Boost spider on the cranks!

Also, 23mm inner width rim w/ the E-Thirteen TRS+ 29x2.35 tire is tiiiight! You'll need to squeeze the rear wheel into the dropout, and there's less than 3/16" clearance between the tire and chainstay yoke at the BB. I think I need to change the rear tire out to a 2.3 DHR2 just to get some room back there for rocks to fall thru.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I ride a Canfield EPO and an Ibis Ripley LS. I love both bikes. I am looking to add a third, longer travel bike to my quiver. My Local trails are southwest Pennsylvania. Typical rooty, rocky eastern USA terrain. Not a ton of elevation drop. I am looking for a longer travel bike because I make a few trips a year to Pisgah National Forest. Brevard and Asheville area. Super chunky trails. Lots of Gnar. I also do some riding and racing in West Virginia which is super rocky. My question is do you think the MAYHEM is different enough from my Ripley LS to add to my quiver. I was looking for something with at least 140mm frame travel but can't stop reading and thinking about the Mayhem. I would build it with 140mm fork and on the all mountain side of things. The Mayhem seems really intriguing. But it's still only 10mm more travel than my Ripley. But I can see it being a great all around bike that could be more capable than my Ripley. I do love a bike that can climb. And the Mayhem seems to fit that bill. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    I ride a Canfield EPO and an Ibis Ripley LS. I love both bikes. I am looking to add a third, longer travel bike to my quiver. My Local trails are southwest Pennsylvania. Typical rooty, rocky eastern USA terrain. Not a ton of elevation drop. I am looking for a longer travel bike because I make a few trips a year to Pisgah National Forest. Brevard and Asheville area. Super chunky trails. Lots of Gnar. I also do some riding and racing in West Virginia which is super rocky. My question is do you think the MAYHEM is different enough from my Ripley LS to add to my quiver. I was looking for something with at least 140mm frame travel but can't stop reading and thinking about the Mayhem. I would build it with 140mm fork and on the all mountain side of things. The Mayhem seems really intriguing. But it's still only 10mm more travel than my Ripley. But I can see it being a great all around bike that could be more capable than my Ripley. I do love a bike that can climb. And the Mayhem seems to fit that bill. Thoughts?

Trailflo in Pittsburgh has a demo. I am in Maryland and it works well here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Trailflo in Pittsburgh has a demo. I am in Maryland and it works well here.

Funny you should say that. I just called Tom (Trailflo) and set up a demo for tomorrow. I live in the Pittsburgh area and ride with the trailflo crew often. Great people. Have to rode your Mojo since you got the Mayhem Bogeydog?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Funny you should say that. I just called Tom (Trailflo) and set up a demo for tomorrow. I live in the Pittsburgh area and ride with the trailflo crew often. Great people. Have to rode your Mojo since you got the Mayhem Bogeydog?

No. I switched the parts over to the Mayhem so the Mojo 3 is naked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    So, Race Face BSA30 BB + one spacer on the drive side BB cup + Next SL G4, and non-Boost OneUp Switch Cinch spider put the ring miiiiiiight close to the rear mech housing strap-down bolt. I think I need to put a Boost spider on the cranks!

Also, 23mm inner width rim w/ the E-Thirteen TRS+ 29x2.35 tire is tiiiight! You'll need to squeeze the rear wheel into the dropout, and there's less than 3/16" clearance between the tire and chainstay yoke at the BB. I think I need to change the rear tire out to a 2.3 DHR2 just to get some room back there for rocks to fall thru.
    How big is that E13? I was riding 2.4 DHR2 WT on 36 inner with no issues.

And as much as I like my Mayhem there isnt any point in having it and a Ripley. MY buddy rides a Ripley and I really like it but you'd have two bikes for basically the same purpose and trails. N+1, I know.
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Lets us know how you like the demo Mayham compared to your LS Ripley!! I almost bought the Ripley before the bought my Fuel EX 9.9, I can't wait to compare the Mayham to my Fuel that I love and not selling.

I have also noticed the lack of tire clearance back there, I'm swapping out Racing Ralph's 2.35 for Maxxis Icon 2.35 that are huge volume tires. I hope I can fit them. I going with 46 WolfTooth on my Sram XO1 11 speed cassette and 30 tooth AB Oval chain ring, should have plenty of range and only gained only 10 grams over the old Sram 42 tooth alloy cog. I think Thursday the day for completion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_1736.jpg  

mtbr member

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Lets us know how you like the demo Mayham compared to your LS Ripley!! I almost bought the Ripley before the bought my Fuel EX 9.9, I can't wait to compare the Mayham to my Fuel that I love and not selling.

I have also noticed the lack of tire clearance back there, I'm swapping out Racing Ralph's 2.35 for Maxxis Icon 2.35 that are huge volume tires. I hope I can fit them, I think Thursday the day for completion.
    Yeah if nothing else the Demo ride will give me a good comparison to my Ripley. I will then contemplate maybe swapping everything over to the Mayhem and selling the Rip. Should be a ripping good time. The tire clearance has me slightly worried as there is always peanut butter mud around me here. Excited to hear your review of the Mayham.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have 27.5 2.8s and they are fine.

dmo
    mtbr member

Which tires are you using and on what rim? Do you know if a 3.0 would fit?

mtbr member

I meant to say 29er tire clearance

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Which tires are you using and on what rim? Do you know if a 3.0 would fit?

Ibis 742, not sure about 3.0

mtbr member
    This bike effing rips. A ripping good time. More stable and monster truckish than the Rip. Still playful and poppy. Handles almost as good as the Rip. High speed Chunder was just straight line through. Really fun bike. Steep seat tube angle makes climbing a breeze. Better than the Rip. More centered body position. I have been wanting a little more travel bike and this seems to be a good compromise. The living link leaf spring is amazing. I loved the feel of the suspension. I left it open the whole time. Having the steep STA with the seat slammed gave me so much room to get back and low. Loved it. The geo is perfect. I like it a lot. It's definitely a different bike than my Ripley. But I don't see me needing both bikes. I don't see me getting off the Mayhem to ride the Rip. The Mayhem handles the big square hits and high speed chunder so much better. I think I will be selling the Ripley and moving everything over to a black Mayhem. I will need a boost wheelset though. Might sell the frame and fork and try to pick up an MRP Ribbon. Here are a few pics. I had a 2.5 DHF on the front and a 2.4 DHR on the rear. Clearance was good. SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_4262.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_4270.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_4265.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_4269.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_4267.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ibis 742, not sure about 3.0

The Mayham has arrived here in DE, weight as is with pedals 26.96. Tomorrow will be the shakedown ride, front end is definitely lower than the Fuel EX with equal spacers under stem. I like the way the front end feels just riding around the house. Check it out!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070789.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070785.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070780.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Well it looks like the 150 dropper is not gonna work in my application 10mm too high, this really sucks now I have to go down to the 125 mm. Now build is going to be delayed a few more days again !!
    I don´t mean to advertise for my own benefits, but this might help, if another 150mm dropper is a bit too long:
    https://www.bikeyoke.de/en/dropper-posts/revive-160/
    I have in inseam of 88cm and I can run a 185 dropper in a large Mayhem. And I have about 15mm left to go deeper with the dropper into the frame.
    BikeYoke staff member - www.bikeyoke.com

mtbr member
    Coolhand - Thanks. I've got a Ripley OG and I find your comparison very interessting for a future upgrade. Will a 2.6" tyre fit in the rear? I need at least to fit an Ardent 2.4" (60 mm).

dmo
    mtbr member
    This bike effing rips. A ripping good time. More stable and monster truckish than the Rip. Still playful and poppy. Handles almost as good as the Rip. High speed Chunder was just straight line through. Really fun bike. Steep seat tube angle makes climbing a breeze. Better than the Rip. More centered body position. I have been wanting a little more travel bike and this seems to be a good compromise. The living link leaf spring is amazing. I loved the feel of the suspension. I left it open the whole time. Having the steep STA with the seat slammed gave me so much room to get back and low. Loved it. The geo is perfect. I like it a lot. It's definitely a different bike than my Ripley. But I don't see me needing both bikes. I don't see me getting off the Mayhem to ride the Rip. The Mayhem handles the big square hits and high speed chunder so much better. I think I will be selling the Ripley and moving everything over to a black Mayhem. I will need a boost wheelset though. Might sell the frame and fork and try to pick up an MRP Ribbon. Here are a few pics. I had a 2.5 DHF on the front and a 2.4 DHR on the rear. Clearance was good. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4262.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	1149991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4270.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	1149992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4265.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	1149993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4269.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	1149994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4267.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	1149995

Nice ride.

If you're thinking of a Ribbon I have a brand new one I'm selling. I got it and then changed my mind about the build I was doing. PM me if interested.

mtbr member

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    Coolhand - Thanks. I've got a Ripley OG and I find your comparison very interessting for a future upgrade. Will a 2.6" tyre fit in the rear? I need at least to fit an Ardent 2.4" (60 mm).
    I don't think a 2.6" tyre will fit. Maybe a 2.5". An Ardent 2.4" will definitely fit. The DHR 2.4 WT I had on had nice clearance on the chainstay sides. Clearance is only a problem on this bike with very tall tires. The tires do get close to the yoke area.
    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_4264.jpg

mtbr member
    Good feedback. I've emailed Spot about it too. I feel that 2.6" is a must for me, as I probably wouldn't bother with changing wheel sets between 29 and 27+. But, then again, having two wheel sets are sometimes what keeps you riding if one blows up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    How big is that E13? I was riding 2.4 DHR2 WT on 36 inner with no issues.

And as much as I like my Mayhem there isnt any point in having it and a Ripley. MY buddy rides a Ripley and I really like it but you'd have two bikes for basically the same purpose and trails. N+1, I know.
    Soooo...which are you selling, the Mayhem or the Ripley?

The e13 grows LARGE! It's on par or even bigger than a 2.5 DHF, after it's stretched. But, I managed to rip a nob off and tore another 60% off...it's just flapping there! I need to email E13 and see if they'll hook me up w/ a replacement.

I think the Minion WT tires are wide, but not tall. It's the tall tires I'm having issues with.

Oh, the build is done, but no pics yet...finished it last night.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Hey, dumb question...
    Anyone else having issues w/ how close the ND crank arm comes to the brake hose strapping?

I'm running Hope w/ their 5mm braided hose and Next SL G4. I ended up having to put a 2.5mm BB cup spacer on, take the pre-load collar off the crankarm and use a wavy spring washer and a 1mm alum spacer to get the spacing...and it's still only about 1.5mm away from that strap!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Spot says 2.4" is max for 29, 2.8" for 27+.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey, dumb question...
    Anyone else having issues w/ how close the ND crank arm comes to the brake hose strapping?

I'm running Hope w/ their 5mm braided hose and Next SL G4. I ended up having to put a 2.5mm BB cup spacer on, take the pre-load collar off the crankarm and use a wavy spring washer and a 1mm alum spacer to get the spacing...and it's still only about 1.5mm away from that strap!
    I have had both G4 and Sixc with no issues. The Race Face guidelines are sometimes wrong. The G4 on my Mojo3 required more spacing. I will need to check how I have mine setup on the Spot.

mtbr member
    I have had both G4 and Sixc with no issues. The Race Face guidelines are sometimes wrong. The G4 on my Mojo3 required more spacing. I will need to check how I have mine setup on the Spot.

I've tried it w/ that strap in both up and down position. The up position is closer to the crank arm, but the hose tends to not need as much slack as the down position...closer to the pivot. I had it in the up position, and now down...but I think I'm gonna change it back to the up position again.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I've tried it w/ that strap in both up and down position. The up position is closer to the crank arm, but the hose tends to not need as much slack as the down position...closer to the pivot. I had it in the up position, and now down...but I think I'm gonna change it back to the up position again.
    I see what you mean. Mine is close too and in the downward position. I highly doubt crank will ever flex that much at that point to hit and definitely not enough to be a concern. I could see maybe minimal change if housing was above clip.

mtbr member
    I see what you mean. Mine is close too and in the downward position. I highly doubt crank will ever flex that much at that point to hit and definitely not enough to be a concern. I could see maybe minimal change if housing was above clip.

I have a purple Hope BB coming. I'll mic it before mounting to see how I can tweak things...
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have a purple Hope BB coming. I'll mic it before mounting to see how I can tweak things...
    I have 12.69mm between chainstay and end of crank with boot on.

mtbr member
    I have 12.69mm between chainstay and end of crank with boot on.
    No no, that's not the issue...see arrows.SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-crank-cable-strap.jpg
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I understand. I was showing both because you can't have one without the other. At the arrows I have 2.86mm of gap. That is the closest that they come together on rotation.

mtbr member
    I understand. I was showing both because you can't have one without the other. At the arrows I have 2.86mm of gap. That is the closest that they come together on rotation.

You're on SixC there? I wonder if the G4 has a different curvature right there?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yes sixc. Didnt notice anything with g4 but not sure if different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yes sixc. Didnt notice anything with g4 but not sure if different.

I have the G4 crank 170 mm and about 2.81 mm of gap using Chris king bottom bracket. I got rained on today on my first ride so I'll give it a few more days before I tell my feeling of the bike. One thing I will say this bike is very stiff in the rear and tracks really good. Small bumps are absorbed by this awesome suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have the G4 crank 170 mm and about 2.81 mm of gap using Chris king bottom bracket. I got rained on today on my first ride so I'll give it a few more days before I tell my feeling of the bike. One thing I will say this bike is very stiff in the rear and tracks really good. Small bumps are absorbed by this awesome suspension.
    Make sure you find some jumps and drops. I find that I am surprised over and over how plush they are. Mainly because I know how the suspension firms up under pedaling and climbing. It's odd in a way because I haven't had this before in any bike.

mtbr member
    Soooo...which are you selling, the Mayhem or the Ripley?

The e13 grows LARGE! It's on par or even bigger than a 2.5 DHF, after it's stretched. But, I managed to rip a nob off and tore another 60% off...it's just flapping there! I need to email E13 and see if they'll hook me up w/ a replacement.

I think the Minion WT tires are wide, but not tall. It's the tall tires I'm having issues with.

Oh, the build is done, but no pics yet...finished it last night.
    After the Demo of the Mayhem yesterday. My plan is to strip the Rip and swap everything over to a black Mayhem frame then sell the Ripley frame. I will need to get a boost wheel set built. Thinking project 321 quiet hubs with We Are One hoops.

mtbr member

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

I totally agree. Super stiff rear end. The bike goes exactly where you point it. All the small bumps were absorbed like riding on clouds. Simply amazing.

mtbr member
    Make sure you find some jumps and drops. I find that I am surprised over and over how plush they are. Mainly because I know how the suspension firms up under pedaling and climbing. It's odd in a way because I haven't had this before in any bike.

I hit some nice jumps and drops yesterday on my demo. My mind was blown on how plush the bike felt. Never has a bike I have rode firmed up so well for climbing and pedaling but felt so composed so plush on the big hits and drops. I flew through rock gardens with ease and a giant smile from ear to ear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I am really surprised that the mags are not reviewing this bike. Granted it hasn't been out for too long. I feel fortunate to discovered it early, but also feel bad for those that won't ever know about it.

mtbr member
    Thinking project 321 quiet hubs with We Are One hoops.
    Yup, sitting on a set of the quiet in purple waiting on some Nextie premium 36s scored during their anniversary sale.
    Will be lacing them 2x long side, 3x short side with some purple polyax nipples and washers. Just can't decide on silver spokes or black. All my cable housing and hoses are silver/braided stainless steel...

Oh, BTW, Ethan had got some Burgtec offset bushings and cut it down for me. 2mm offset on either end and the BB is at 13.5 w/ the HTA at a touch less than 65*. This is on a Float X2.

Have you guys seen this!? This is w/ braided hoses!

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-ubyk.co.uk.jpg
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    [QUOTE=Pau11y;13276632]Yup, sitting on a set of the quiet in purple waiting on some Nextie premium 36s scored during their anniversary sale.
    Will be lacing them 2x long side, 3x short side with some purple polyax nipples and washers. Just can't decide on silver spokes or black. All my cable housing and hoses are silver/braided stainless steel...

Oh, BTW, Ethan had got some Burgtec offset bushings and cut it down for me. 2mm offset on either end and the BB is at 13.5 w/ the HTA at a touch less than 65*. This is on a Float X2.

Have you guys seen this!? This is w/ braided hoses!

I like the Lilly nipples, the same guy that makes Lilly Lube. Each nipple individually anodized by him. His purple matches the purple on Project 321 hubs perfect. Chris King uses them!! With boost spacing aren't the spokes the same length both side? Dave at Speed Dreams does 2 cross for my wheels. I just sent out my rear wheel to him to have my rear LB blue sticker rear hub up graded to boost I told him to use DT Swiss 240 center lock hub since DT Swiss 240 boost is on the front already, but now I thinking to telling him use Project 321 hub instead. The only thing holding me back is I love the center lock hubs with my favorite Shimano Freeza Ice tech rotors. I wish they came in center lock!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070106.jpg  

mtbr member
    With boost spacing aren't the spokes the same length both side? Dave at Speed Dreams does 2 cross for my wheels. I just sent out my rear wheel to him to have my rear LB blue sticker rear hub up graded to boost I told him to use DT Swiss 240 center lock hub since DT Swiss 240 boost is on the front already, but now I thinking to telling him use Project 321 hub instead.
    No...not even at all. It's at min a couple of mm off. It might be the same if you use asymm rims, but I opt'd for symmetrical ones this round because I couldn't find one that had a sufficient inner width. The ones I'm getting have 29mm IW. I should have said shallow dish vs deeper dish, not long/short side.
    I went P321 because POE is important to me and how I climb tech/chunks. I have a set of wheels laced to some DT FR440s w/ the 54 POE clutch plate...I don't like it! I use those wheels for bike parks only. I'm typically on Kings w/ their 72 POE, or Hadleys w/ the same. The I9s I'm running on my HT are really good for stutter stepping up rocks.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No...not even at all. It's at min a couple of mm off. It might be the same if you use asymm rims, but I opt'd for symmetrical ones this round because I couldn't find one that had a sufficient inner width. The ones I'm getting have 29mm IW. I should have said shallow dish vs deeper dish, not long/short side.
    I went P321 because POE is important to me and how I climb tech/chunks. I have a set of wheels laced to some DT FR440s w/ the 54 POE clutch plate...I don't like it! I use those wheels for bike parks only. I'm typically on Kings w/ their 72 POE, or Hadleys w/ the same. The I9s I'm running on my HT are really good for stutter stepping up rocks.
    Yes that's what it was the NOX rims I have with p321 hubs, I remember Dave saying with the asymmetric rims the spokes were the same on both sides which are one of the benefits of them. I like the Hadleys also have them on my steel single speed hardtail. Great customer service to!

One thing is for sure this Mayham needs a strong wheel, you will find yourself going much faster than what you normally do on your normal bike.

I had a great ride today and discovered the light 27mm ex rims with 2.35 Maxxis Icons are not the wheels for this bike, not at Brandywine State Park in Wilmington DE. I was pinging the wheels off many rock gardens with 23psi front and 26 rear. This bike is so stable on the fast downs and like others have said the saddle when down really gets out of your way since its so forword, so getting back is no problem. The back end is a Marvel of design, like it swallow's and eats the rocks. No bouncing at all, the wheel seems to stay on the dirt. Also feels like 140mm travel in rear. I have my saddle all the back and glad I went with a large frame at 5'10. 40mm stem on now but feel I need a 60mm stem so will play with that! I feel 130mm in the front is not enough and deserves a much stiffer fork. My fox 34 is at 140mm and I now think I will go 150mm on my Pike.

Climbing the technical stuff will make your head spin, no bobbing at all. The suspension just stiffens up and stays on point. Spot did a great job at designing this bike, strong with no flex, way stiffer than my Fuel EX but the Fuel does accelerate faster at 24lbs than the Mayham at 27lbs. Mayham could be the Ultimate Trailbike!! Anyone that is thinking about this bike just get you will be rewarded also get the Fox 36 or or Pike fork.

Bike handles great even though its a long bike, front end stays planted when going up steep hills. Your body is in this forward position so it properly weights the front end and going though fast turns the front wheel is nicely weighted. One thing I did notice when going over tall longs with out being allowed to get enough speed 3.5 feet high. You can get your weight too forward if your not careful!!

Great thing is I can't wait to ride it again tomorrow!! One more thing when you jump its well balanced in the air and landing is so smooth!! Really glade I bought it!! More to come.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Can´t wait to get it on the trail. The last parts just arived today, and I was finally able to finish the build:

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-imag3459.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-imag3461.jpg

Here is a complete list of components used:

Frame: Spot Mayhem size L
    Shock: Cane Creek DB Air [IL] 200x57
    Fork: X-Fusion Revel HLR, customized to 135~140mm travel and reduced A2C (540mm)
    Headset: Acros ZS 44/56 + 2 Spacer
    Stem: Newmen 318.2, 50mm
    Handlebar: Pivot Carbon 800mm
    Bottom Bracket: Acros BB (BSA + GXP Kit)
    Crankset: X01 Eagle 32T GXP
    Rear derailleur: X01 Eagle mit BikeYoke Shifty
    Shifters: X01 Eagle
    Cassette: X01 Eagle
    Cahin: XX1 Eagle, schwarz
    Brake Levers: Trickstuff Diretissima with SRAM Matchmaker
    Brake calipers: Hope V4 (modded to NBR seals for minearl oil usage)
    Brake adapters: Hope
    Brake hoses: Goodridge Stahlflex
    Disc front: Hope floating, ventilated, 203mm
    Disc rear: Hope floating, 180mm
    Hub front: Acros Nineteen FR 20x110
    Hub rear: Acros Nineteen ED Boost 12x148
    Rims: Light Bicycle RM29C07 (customized)
    Spokes: Sapim D-Light 32x 286mm/ 32x 288mm
    Nipples: Sapim Aluminium, red, 12mm
    Tire front: WTB Vigilante 29x2.3, TCS tough, high grip
    Tire rear: WTB Trail Boss 29x2.25, TCS tough, fast rolling
    Seatpost: BikeYoke REVIVE 185/31.6 / Triggy Remote
    Saddle: WTB Silverado Carbon
    Pedals: Gamut Podium
    Seatpost clamp: Trickstuff Gandhi
    Handlebar grips: Ergon GE1 schwarz

I was a littel surprised to see, that there is just little clearence (<2mm) from the rear 180mm disc to the chainstay and the disc is actually touching the chainstay protector.
    Anyone else notice this, or have had any issues so far?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yes that's what it was the NOX rims I have with p321 hubs, I remember Dave saying with the asymmetric rims the spokes were the same on both sides which are one of the benefits of them. I like the Hadleys also have them on my steel single speed hardtail. Great customer service to!

One thing is for sure this Mayham needs a strong wheel, you will find yourself going much faster than what you normally do on your normal bike.

I had a great ride today and discovered the light 27mm ex rims with 2.35 Maxxis Icons are not the wheels for this bike, not at Brandywine State Park in Wilmington DE. I was pinging the wheels off many rock gardens with 23psi front and 26 rear. This bike is so stable on the fast downs and like others have said the saddle when down really gets out of your way since its so forword, so getting back is no problem. The back end is a Marvel of design, like it swallow's and eats the rocks. No bouncing at all, the wheel seems to stay on the dirt. Also feels like 140mm travel in rear. I have my saddle all the back and glad I went with a large frame at 5'10. 40mm stem on now but feel I need a 60mm stem so will play with that! I feel 130mm in the front is not enough and deserves a much stiffer fork. My fox 34 is at 140mm and I now think I will go 150mm on my Pike.

Climbing the technical stuff will make your head spin, no bobbing at all. The suspension just stiffens up and stays on point. Spot did a great job at designing this bike, strong with no flex, way stiffer than my Fuel EX but the Fuel does accelerate faster at 24lbs than the Mayham at 27lbs. Mayham could be the Ultimate Trailbike!! Anyone that is thinking about this bike just get you will be rewarded also get the Fox 36 or or Pike fork.

Bike handles great even though its a long bike, front end stays planted when going up steep hills. Your body is in this forward position so it properly weights the front end and going though fast turns the front wheel is nicely weighted. One thing I did notice when going over tall longs with out being allowed to get enough speed 3.5 feet high. You can get your weight too forward if your not careful!!

Great thing is I can't wait to ride it again tomorrow!! One more thing when you jump its well balanced in the air and landing is so smooth!! Really glade I bought it!! More to come.
    Ditto. I have had mine since release. Cockpit Setup is important here and my guess is most will struggle with it. I have the seat 10mm back from center and a 30mm stem. I ride a small. Today I rode some blazing fast rollers and jumps. Smoooth. Thursday I rode Rocks. Smoooth. Again I am shocked how it pedals with no Bob yet is so smooth on drops etc. A friend of mine commented during a steep road climb... That thing doesn't bob at all. All while his was a yoyo on his Stumpy.

I agree that this could be the ultimate trail bike and a Sleeper at that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Bike is finished and weighing in at 13,90kg.
    Today was first ride day, and I must say, that I am really amazed by this bike. Although I did not do ayn fine tuning, the suspension and provided traction were mindblowing.
    The fork and the shock need a little more progression (only 1 blue whole blue CC band spacer installed), so I´ll be working on that during the next days.
    The brakes (Trickstuff Diretissima master cylinder and Hope V4 calipers) are really sick. Modulation is just perfect and compared to a standard Diretissima, the power should be about 20% higher and those are already a lot stronger than Magura MT7, which I also ride on one of my other bikes.
    The only brake, that I have ridden, which was even stronger, was a Diretissima/Gustav M hybrid, but too heavy and not really pretty. Plus not easy to adapt to today´s postmounts.
    The Diretissima/V4 mix, is the strongest combination, which you can possibly have.

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-83.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-81.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-x.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-xx.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-xxx.jpg

mtbr member

Finally done, and tested on Kenosha/Georgia

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p5pb15022934.jpg

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p5pb15022933.jpg

The green will go away when the Nextie/P321 gets built, and the Heritage decals slapped on the fork and X2. Altho, the green looks kind of good in contrasting the purple, no?

It still needs some tweaking w/ the chainline...getting a lot of noise coming out of the drivetrain. At least, I think it's chainline related...when a chainring hangs onto and releases the chain late, or the BB is knocking around...?

The rest of the pics...
    https://www.pinkbike.com/u/pau11y/album/Spot-Mayhem/
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb15022934.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	420.3 KB 
ID:	1150698

Name:	p5pb15022933.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	411.9 KB 
ID:	1150699

The green will go away when the Nextie/P321 gets built, and the Heritage decals slapped on the fork and X2. Altho, the green looks kind of good in contrasting the purple, no?

It still needs some tweaking w/ the chainline...getting a lot of noise coming out of the drivetrain. At least, I think it's chainline related...when a chainring hangs onto and releases the chain late, or the BB is knocking around...?

The rest of the pics...
    https://www.pinkbike.com/u/pau11y/album/Spot-Mayhem/
    I love how much thought both Pau11y and Sacki put into your builds!! Great job!!

I really like the Trickstuff and will be getting some stuff

I had another great long 3 hour ride today a French Creek in PA. Many rocks fast downs and tech climbs. Can't wait to get my Pike at 150mm on the mayham. When standing bike feels a bit strange on the fast rocky downs, this is when I first stand and still have my weight forward before I get back behind the saddle. Out of the saddle when climbing bike feels great. Need some more tweaking!! I think the longer 150mm fork will help, we will see!!

mtbr member
    ...getting a lot of noise coming out of the drivetrain.
    Hum, as it turned out, it was the main pivot, not tight enough. Torqued it down and the side loading at the cranks on either side didn't produce the creak/pop anymore. YAY!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Hum, as it turned out, it was the main pivot, not tight enough. Torqued it down and the side loading at the cranks on either side didn't produce the creak/pop anymore. YAY!
    Oh, one last...
    Kept on getting rubbing at my rear rotor and couldn't find it after looking again and again. Then, I noticed some carbon dust on the leading edge of one of those circular rivet thingie. Then, I noticed some scuffing on the matte finish of the post mount...
    The Hope floating rotor's circular...rivet?...rubs on the rear post mount. You'll need to file down the post just a puss. Got mine to clear w/ about 1/2mm... Resealed it w/ some Krazy glue...prob should mix up some 5min epoxy and rub on a thin film...?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I put a 180mm rotor on the back and ended up shaving the chain stay protector away from the rotor. No problems.

mtbr member
    Well holy crap! Just took delivery of my Nextie Premium 36/29, outer/inner width rims. 498g and 496g! Should be plenty stiff...yeah? HAH!

Considering how much they weigh, and thereby how stiff, I think a 28-hole, 2x build will be plenty strong!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Well holy crap! Just took delivery of my Nextie Premium 36/29, outer/inner width rims. 498g and 496g! Should be plenty stiff...yeah? HAH!

Considering how much they weigh, and thereby how stiff, I think a 28-hole, 2x build will be plenty strong!
    Stiff as a board. Excited to see your purple wheel build.

Occasionally engaged…
    In this thread and through all my searching I've only found 3 mentions of the weight of built bikes: bogeydog guestimated 25.5 - 26 lbs (but didn't want to bias his impressions by knowing the weight), dgw said 27 lbs, and sacki very precisely reported 13.90 kg (30.64 lbs). Does anyone know the true weights of other builds, in particular the weights of the 4, 5, and 6 star package versions (size large)? Or perhaps more importantly, the weight of the frame + shock? I've inquired of Spot themselves but they've ignored my emails. I know that people have different opinions about the importance of weight, but it's a useful data point and one that I feel is missing for this bike.

Also, I'm somewhat new to this genre of mtb's (exclusively xc hard tails and rigid single speeds in my past) and am uncertain of why the stock builds spec 170 mm cranks -- is that a thing done on trail bikes to prevent pedal strikes in rough terrain? I'm not hung up on long cranks, but fit sometimes might mean longer crank arms. Finally, can you fit a crank with a 168 mm Q-factor to the frame? I prefer smaller Q-factors whenever possible, so it's another data point I'd like to have. Thanks!
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptor View Post
    ...and sacki very precisely reported 13.90 kg (30.64 lbs). Does anyone know the true weights of other builds, in particular the weights of the 4, 5, and 6 star package versions (size large)?
    Mine is 31.5lbs. But it's built burly. I feel pretty safe riding any trail at a bike park w/ mine.
    Oh, mine's a large.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Weight of the frame without shock, but with shock bolts and rear axle is 2950g in size L.
    My bike weighs exactly 13.90kg, which may seem not very light for the monetary invest into this bike, but tires alone are 1170g and 1120g + 120ml of tubeless milk in each. Fork is also almost 2100g and I have a 185mm dropper post installed. So my build is not lightweight, for sure, but the extra grams are placed at the very right spots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sacki View Post
    Weight of the frame without shock, but with shock bolts and rear axle is 2950g in size L.
    My bike weighs exactly 13.90kg, which may seem not very light for the monetary invest into this bike, but tires alone are 1170g and 1120g + 120ml of tubeless milk in each. Fork is also almost 2100g and I have a 185mm dropper post installed. So my build is not lightweight, for sure, but the extra grams are placed at the very right spots.
    My large frame with a shock weighed 7.06 pounds. Final build with pedals and droperpost came to 26.96 pounds. That was with my race wheel set on bike with 2.35 Maxxis Icon tires, Wheel set 1387 g. Titanium bolts through out. Enve 55 mm stem 92 g. Fox 125 mm dropper, Bontrager carbon saddle. 11 g seatpost clamp. Shimano XTR pedals. Fox thru axle and rear Thur axle. Race face next SL crank G4 170mm. 30tooth AB oval ring, xx1 Derailure and shifter. X01 cassette with Wolftooth 46 large cog.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I ended up weighing it at 25.6. Small, Fox 34, Ibis 742 with I9 straight pull hubs, Rocket Ron 2.8s, transfer dropper, sqlab saddle, mcfk bars, Syntace stem, Guide Ultimate brakes, Next SL 170mm cranks, 1x XX1 sram. No decals on forks or wheels.

mtbr member
    I've got a large also and it weighs 32lbs with the muthalode strap holding two 25 gram co2, levers, and a tube. Plus backcountry 36 wheel set with a Highroller 2 grown ass man Double Down casing rear and a DHF 2.5 WT up front and about a half a quart of Stans in each, XT pedals, Enve DH bar 800mm and Deity 35mm stem, spurcycle bell and Fox 36 up front holding it all down set at 140.

Straight beef!

I finally got the rear shock dialed in. 180 riding weight with pressure set at 155 and rebound at 9 clicks.

mtbr member
    36 wheel set with a Highroller 2 grown ass man Double Down casing rear and a DHF 2.5 WT up front and about a half a quart of Stans in each, XT pedals, Enve DH bar 800mm and Deity 35mm stem, spurcycle bell and Fox 36 up front holding it all down set at 140.
    Good GOD man! I think you just invented the sealant-filled tire system! Do they wiggle around like a water bed? Did you also install some cushcore in there to damp out "the wave?"
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    You can hear it swish when I first fill em. After a few rides I've dampened it out with a few burps. I'm a hack I don't miss many rocks. I may not have half a quart but it's a lot. I'm currently running a mixture of Stan's and orange seal.

mtbr member
    You can hear it swish when I first fill em. After a few rides I've dampened it out with a few burps. I'm a hack I don't miss many rocks. I may not have half a quart but it's a lot. I'm currently running a mixture of Stan's and orange seal.

Wheel build time

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-mayhems-wheels.jpg
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i think i saw that box arrive at Maverick this past week... tasty!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    i think i saw that box arrive at Maverick this past week... tasty!
    Why yes, yes you did
    But man, those rims are surprisingly heavy, at 497g average!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I was playing w/ the suspension a bit before the wheel stuff came. Trying out a Pike 140 w/ 46mm rake and a Monarch Plus w/ some custom shimming...still needs a bit of work.

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-mayhem-pike-monarch.jpg

On Gold Dust this past Sat...
    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-gold-dust-tech-01.jpg
    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-gold-dust-tech-02.jpg
    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-gold-dust-tech-03.jpg
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I was playing w/ the suspension a bit before the wheel stuff came. Trying out a Pike 140 w/ 46mm rake and a Monarch Plus w/ some custom shimming...still needs a bit of work.

Name:	Mayhem - Pike and Monarch.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	1152078

On Gold Dust this past Sat...

Well, thoughts on how it rides? And what dropper is that? Fox with kashima?

mtbr member
    Well, thoughts on how it rides? And what dropper is that? Fox with kashima?
    Yup, K-coat Transfer. I need to send the one on my Hightower back to Fox for a lookover...there's a bit of play developing...

The ride w/ that mal-tuned Monarch+ is a bit punchy...very XC biased. It'll open up at speed, but the small trail undulations are not...soften, much. I need to get some different shims and restack the LSC and I was told by Ethan that more LSR is needed. The reb is wide open right now, so I need a few clicks there. And, with the IFP depth in the resi tweaked, I think I need to dial back the PSI or restore the spec'd depth. I took out 3mm, and it's quite significant.

But on that pic w/ the chunks, the back end had good traction, but it needed to open up a bit more and quicker. I spun out at the top pic because the rear end wouldn't soak up a pointy rock that would have been let thru by the X2 on the Hightower. I'm gonna bolt the X2 back on the bike along w/ the 36 for a Wed Meetup ride up Falcon. The X2 will need more vol spacers put in tho...it used up a lot of travel too quick, but DAMN was it supple over small bumps!

On the downs, the pic you see there was pretty much a bulldozer, even w/ just 130 out back! Also, that Pike has 46mm offset...it wasn't too noticeable, but it could be why the rig felt like a friggin' battleship in the straights! It didn't suffer any in the tight downs w/ the increased trail tho. The bike likes to be leaned over and turned hard! Enter the turn w/ your weight either neutral or slightly front biased, and then rock back as you exit the turn, and just takes off as if someone was pushing you!

No more noises coming from the frame either! Torqued the main pivot up to spec and w/ some anti-seize on the cone wedges, and it was spooky how quiet the bike is when the I9's driver was engaged! I CANNOT WAIT till when the P321 wheels are done and the coasting noise of the I9 is gone! Maybe I'll finally be able to hear if my tires are scratching for traction or if they're just fully biting in!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Would love to ride this with a x2. I think my evol had to be broken in somewhat. It seemed stiffer at lower pressure when I first got it. I finally feel like I've got it dialed in now. I'm 180 so I'm running 155psi with 8 clicks in of rebound and open switch set to two. I ride in open mode always.

My 36 seems almost to squishy in the beginning of travel but great everywhere else. I need to run it over to Ethan and let him work his magic

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ethan just did my stock evol shock on my Rollik and its smoother now - hard to believe but yeah - its better!! By Changing the shim stack Ethan just widened the shocks "open" ness verses - as Ethan called it - too on/off...

The Mayhem is such a beauty aesthetically - and keep reading how good it is... im afraid to demo - yet know i need to.... ohhh the joy and the pain!

mtbr member
    My 36 seems almost to squishy in the beginning of travel but great everywhere else. I need to run it over to Ethan and let him work his magic
    Yeah, E and I were talking about that...that the previous year to 2015, the ones that had the rod setup, had a predictable starting point and you can kinda count on its level of push back, and feel it too. I'm not sure if it's the initial force needed to overcome the stiction being the fork is air...? But the '18 w/ it's Pike-like dimple setup...the starting point is very vague! No stiction because of the negative chamber...? But man, it's a bit disconcerting!
    I need to swap the lowers of my fork after I get some purple decal on the new one. When I do, I think I'm gonna drill out one of my blue 36 old token and jam it into the negative chamber to take out some of the volume. I think Ethan is talking about doing something similar, but w/ o-rings.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Yeah, E and I were talking about that...that the previous year to 2015, the ones that had the rod setup, had a predictable starting point and you can kinda count on its level of push back, and feel it too. I'm not sure if it's the initial force needed to overcome the stiction being the fork is air...? But the '18 w/ it's Pike-like dimple setup...the starting point is very vague! No stiction because of the negative chamber...? But man, it's a bit disconcerting!
    I need to swap the lowers of my fork after I get some purple decal on the new one. When I do, I think I'm gonna drill out one of my blue 36 old token and jam it into the negative chamber to take out some of the volume. I think Ethan is talking about doing something similar, but w/ o-rings.
    Would adding the mrp thingie fix this?

mtbr member
    Would adding the mrp thingie fix this?

I don't think so. I think you need to tweak the negative chamber, not the positive one, which is what the MRP thingie fixes.

╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Glad I stumbled on this thread, After reading through this I thought I was going to buy a Ibis Ripley LS...(if coolhand80's was boost I would of..lol) so when I went to a demo ride today the guy in front of me took the ibis, so I took the Spot, and boy im glad I did! At first it felt funny compared to my Hightower but after a little while I got used to the steep seat tube angle. At the end of the ride we all had to climb this huge hill which nobody wanted to, I was the only guy in the group of 12 other riders to not use the granny gear and I left the bike full open and im a 5'11'' 240lb guy so im no major athlete, and that was in a group of guys riding Yeti and Ibis bikes. So am I sold on the Spot Mayhem? Damn right I am!!!

Tom the guy from trailflo recommended I go with a 140mm up front, is this what most of you guys going with? or you sticking with the 130mm?
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Glad I stumbled on this thread, After reading through this I thought I was going to buy a Ibis Ripley LS...(if coolhand80's was boost I would of..lol) so when I went to a demo ride today the guy in front of me took the ibis, so I took the Spot, and boy im glad I did! At first it felt funny compared to my Hightower but after a little while I got used to the steep seat tube angle. At the end of the ride we all had to climb this huge hill which nobody wanted to, I was the only guy in the group of 12 other riders to not use the granny gear and I left the bike full open and im a 5'11'' 240lb guy so im no major athlete, and that was in a group of guys riding Yeti and Ibis bikes. So am I sold on the Spot Mayhem? Damn right I am!!!

Tom the guy from trailflo recommended I go with a 140mm up front, is this what most of you guys going with? or you sticking with the 130mm?
    That hill back up to the pool area is a tough climb. Glad you enjoyed the Mayhem. I am amazed at this bike. Maybe Tom will give us a deal if we order two frames at the same time. I guess you won't be buying my Ripley. That's okay someone will buy it. My plan is to get a black frame. Get some gold project 321 hubs with Nobl hoops and put the 140mm airshaft in my Fox 34 and go shred. This bike deserves 140mm fork. It is so plush and composed on the downs.

mtbr member
    That hill back up to the pool area is a tough climb. Glad you enjoyed the Mayhem. I am amazed at this bike. Maybe Tom will give us a deal if we order two frames at the same time. I guess you won't be buying my Ripley. That's okay someone will buy it. My plan is to get a black frame. Get some gold project 321 hubs with Nobl hoops and put the 140mm airshaft in my Fox 34 and go shred. This bike deserves 140mm fork. It is so plush and composed on the downs.
    Sounds great! I ordered mine already...lol they had free shipping so I wanted to take advantage of that on the spot website.
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

mtbr member
    Sounds great! I ordered mine already...lol they had free shipping so I wanted to take advantage of that on the spot website.
    What are you doing with your Hightower?

mtbr member

140 here.

╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    What are you doing with your Hightower?

Sold the frame already. Parts from that will go to the Spot.
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw
    2016 GT Grade Carbon

dmo
    mtbr member
    Sold the frame already. Parts from that will go to the Spot.
    You liked the spot that much that you sold the HT?

mtbr member
    Would love to ride this with a x2.
    So, I just got back from ChimnApex w/ a 36/X2 setup w/ the new wheels...just friggin' Wowwww! It's like CHEATING in the chunks w/ this bike using the Fox setup! So, the Pike/Monarch+ setup will def be backup, when the Fox stuff is off-bike or out for service/warranty. The Fox stuff is just in another league compared to the Rockshox stuff!

Oh, and the Project 321 hubs...OMFG! I got the quiet ones and it's wicked nice! And MAN, do they roll! Coasting down anything w/ just a bit of a slope feels like someone is behind you pushing! When I bought my brakes, I intended to run 180/160 rotors. But, I also bought a 203 rotor...just in case. I think once I get more used to the bike and get to know how to use the bike's suspension...personality...I may need to up my rotor size at least in the front. May also need to up the rear caliper to the E4 from the X2!

The bike tips the scale at 32.2lbs, but I'll be damned if the thing doesn't ride 5 lbs lighter! Must be just how stiff the frame is...and now some crazy stiff wheels to match! I rode today w/ just a 20oz bottle...no pack and no tools...since Apex is w/in walking dist of my apt, and that felt soooo nice!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Fox has it figured out with the 36 and X2. I hated their shit on my Bronson a few years ago but have had a total change of heart with the stuff they put out last year. I have zero complaints about the Evol that comes stock but I know how good that x2 can be. The 36 is in a league of its own. I still feel like i can get my 36 dialed in a little better, it just rides so well the I never think to tinker with it.

I got out to Two Elks again yesterday and rode with a group this time. Two Elks may not be the best trail in Colorado but it should certainly be in the discussion. I left everyone on the climb up Bowmans and lead the Yeti SB6 group on the descent. Guys cant believe that I am climbing with the shock wide open. Yesterday's ride is going to have a few folks looking into wagon wheel size bikes again.

I am going to bleed the brakes this week with rbf 600 dot 4 fluid and put on some galfer pads. I'm going fast enough now to need the extra power. Am strongly considering putting a 180 rotor on the rear if this doesn't get the power to where i want it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123