Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post
    Demoed the 5 star Mayhem at Apex today, here's my thoughts:

Compared to the Rollik it had all of the benefits and drawbacks you would expect going from 27.5 to 29 inch wheels. Up hill it pedaled awesome, thanks to that Spot special sauce they have going on out back, combined with the eagle drivetrain. I didn't feel nearly as exhausted getting to the top, although I was a little surprised I didn't have more PR's on strava going up. I wasn't really trying to break any records though. I talked about it on my rollick review, the living link suspension is the real deal, pedal bob is nonexistent but still feels awesome pointed back downhill without flipping any levers. Best suspension I've ridden. The 29inch wheels really helped roll over the rocky technical climbing sections, as you would expect.
    Going back down enchanted forest and apex trails I set several PR's on strava, which does not surprise me. The bike felt stable and just wanted to go fast. Some of the ledgy back to back drops usually make me nervous I am going to endo, but the 29inch wheels rolled right over them without flinching. The negative side is the bike takes a little more effort to get off of the ground and turn. The Mayhem wants to monster truck everything at high speed, where the Rollik wants to pop up and over everything. The Rollik is definitely more playful, the Mayhem more stable at speed and in the chunder. Part of this is probably due to the wheels, partly the longer chain stays on the Mayhem. The suspension is still awesome about giving you the support to jump, its just not as eager to do so. The mayhem feels like a bigger bike.

Overall, they are very different beasts. I think I would buy the Rollik for it's fun factor. If I was into crushing strava times the Mayhem would be my choice.
    Need some updates with pict!! Please!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mwthomsen View Post
    Did you pick yours up today at Spots Headquarters? Looks similar to the one being picked up today when I was in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I did pick it up there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have a little over 100 miles on my Mayhem so it's probably time for a quick review. Coming from a 27.5 (Spot Rollik - just sold) the Mayhem fit like a glove. Actually, it fits slightly better (I'm 6'1") than my old Rollik even though the geo is pretty much identical. Feels like the top tube is slightly longer (though on paper it's not). My only guess the slightly slacker seat angle on the Mayhem vs the Rollik is the deal here.

Climbing: This thing climbs like a mountain goat. Super efficient, no bob, no wallowing, great traction. Fast. I am setting PR's on many of my local climbs vs the Rollik and my previous 29er (Turner Sultan).

Descending: FAST! I forgot just how fast a 29er wheel rolls after several months on a 27.5. This is easily the most stable bike I have ever been on. With the Fox36 and carbon hoops, I can't get the Mayhem to flex (I'm close to 190lbs w/ gear). Zero deflection. Point, shoot and hold on. At the same time, it's fairly nimble through tight turns and switchbacks. Not as nimble as the Rollik though. As another poster mentioned, I don't find myself wanting to launch off everything vs the Rollik. This is probably the one aspect that I miss most but is typical with all 29ers I've been on.

I demoed a ton of bikes last season (mostly 29ers) before buying the Rollik (demoed it on a whim as there wasn't a line and bought one the following week). The Mayhem reminds me most of the Yeti SB5.5 but is a much more efficient climber. It actually climbs better than the short travel 29ers I demoed (Pivot 429 trail, SC Tallboy).

I am planning to try it with 27.5+ wheels/tires at some point to see if I can have two bikes in one with a simple wheel swap. Though if I could afford it, I would not have sold my Rollik and have both bikes in my quiver. They have truly dialed both bikes to get the most out of each wheel size.
    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_2463.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Posted this in another forum last week.

Today I had the first ride on my small black Mayhem wuthering 27.5+. Setup includes a 140mm 2018 Fox 34 modified by Push. Ibis 752 rims with I9 straight pull hubs carbon everything.

Past bikes have been Ibis MOJO 3, T
    2016 Trek Fuel EX 9.9, Evil Following, SC Tall boy 2 Carbon.... All top builds.

In summary, it was kickass. Rode east coast roots rocky stuff with XC mix. A few things standout. Downhill it's very composed and plush. However climbing and pedaling in just rocks. The suspension forms up and each pedal stoke noticeably moves the bike forward. Efficient. It handles great. This is where it gets confusing. By far the Trek has been the most nimble and fastest. The Mojo has been pretty good. The Spot is very Trek like. It's longer and has a longer CS than all the others. It's also slacker. However it's on parole with the XC Trek. Don't know why.

It was fun to ride for sure. I am excited. For those that think this is new bike syndrome, I ride all new bikes very conservatively. For safety and fair comparison. I ride to the point that I lose comfort. That is the edge.

The Spot is..... Spot on. I am running 2.6 tires and had a few pedal strikes. I think I can avoid these as I get used to the setup.

The Mayhem is super promising. I look forward to riding it more and more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dmo
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Posted this in another forum last week.

Today I had the first ride on my small black Mayhem wuthering 27.5+. Setup includes a 140mm 2018 Fox 34 modified by Push. Ibis 752 rims with I9 straight pull hubs carbon everything.

Past bikes have been Ibis MOJO 3, T
    2016 Trek Fuel EX 9.9, Evil Following, SC Tall boy 2 Carbon.... All top builds.

In summary, it was kickass. Rode east coast roots rocky stuff with XC mix. A few things standout. Downhill it's very composed and plush. However climbing and pedaling in just rocks. The suspension forms up and each pedal stoke noticeably moves the bike forward. Efficient. It handles great. This is where it gets confusing. By far the Trek has been the most nimble and fastest. The Mojo has been pretty good. The Spot is very Trek like. It's longer and has a longer CS than all the others. It's also slacker. However it's on parole with the XC Trek. Don't know why.

It was fun to ride for sure. I am excited. For those that think this is new bike syndrome, I ride all new bikes very conservatively. For safety and fair comparison. I ride to the point that I lose comfort. That is the edge.

The Spot is..... Spot on. I am running 2.6 tires and had a few pedal strikes. I think I can avoid these as I get used to the setup.

The Mayhem is super promising. I look forward to riding it more and more.

Nice bike and ride report.

How do you feel it compared to your evil?
    Can you notice the different CSL compared to the Mojo3?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It's a much better handling bike than the Evil. I always felt that I was having to exert force on the front of the Evil to get it to rail. Suspension wise, much more comfortable and less harsh in the chatter. What do you mean by csl?

dmo
    mtbr member
    It's a much better handling bike than the Evil. I always felt that I was having to exert force on the front of the Evil to get it to rail. Suspension wise, much more comfortable and less harsh in the chatter. What do you mean by csl?

Sorry, Chain stay length

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yeah I blanked for a moment. I don't really notice it. I thoughts the longer csl and wheelbase would be noticeable however it isn't. That is what is confusing. Not sure why it handles better than both.

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012
    Has anyone ridden the Rollick and the Mayhem in 27.5+? I am just wondering because I think the Mayhem is very playful in 27.5 mode and would like to hear a comparison. I switch wheelsizes often as both are a blast in their own way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Had a ride today in a real rocky area where I have a lot of experience. Spot performed great. The downhill suspension compliance coupled with the pedaling efficiency is something special. Didnt think I was setting any records because I was just moving along and learning the bike. Set quite a few pr's. I have 2.6s on each end and had some pedal strikes. Bottom bracket measures 324mm. The Spot geo chart shows with 2.8s, BB should be 338mm which is impossible since I had 2.8s on the same rim before and the were only 4mm taller in the rim. Not sure why such a big discrepancy. I am going to install a 2.8 up front and see what that does. Then maybe in rear too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    2.8s raised the BB up to a good level.

This is one great climbing and pedaling bike. Not sure how to describe it other than very efficient whixh translates into an easier time, less fatigue and fast strava segments.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2.8s raised the BB up to a good level.

This is one great climbing and pedaling bike. Not sure how to describe it other than very efficient whixh translates into an easier time, less fatigue and fast strava segments.

I can't wait myself and two friends are all getting the Mayham, there's will be complete bikes mine will be frame only . Decided to go with the pike at 140mm 2018 only weighs 66 g more than the fox 34 at 140mm. I will have two different sets of wheels to play with 650 B+ and 29er wheels both Carbon. Any more input on how it compared to the fuel EX 9.9 that I still have. I believe you sold yours correct ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    I can't wait myself and two friends are all getting the Mayham, there's will be complete bikes mine will be frame only . Decided to go with the pike at 140mm 2018 only weighs 66 g more than the fox 34 at 140mm. I will have two different sets of wheels to play with 650 B+ and 29er wheels both Carbon. Any more input on how it compared to the fuel EX 9.9 that I still have. I believe you sold yours correct ?
    Yeah I sold the 9.9 a while ago. I loved that bike. I sold it locally so have access to it.

The Mayhem is more like the 9.9 than the Mojo3. The 9.9 was no doubt lighter. I purposely didn't weight the Mayhem because I didn't want to taint my thoughts. The Mayhem handles as well. I don't know why because it shouldn't. It pedals better though. I set a lot of pr's on the Trek, but I recall trying to do so. I have broken some of those with the Mayhem without trying or being aware. That surprises me. It seems to just go when I pedal or hammer it. I am also 10nlbs heavier myself. And running the plus tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah I sold the 9.9 a while ago. I loved that bike. I sold it locally so have access to it.

The Mayhem is more like the 9.9 than the Mojo3. The 9.9 was no doubt lighter. I purposely didn't weight the Mayhem because I didn't want to taint my thoughts. The Mayhem handles as well. I don't know why because it shouldn't. It pedals better though. I set a lot of pr's on the Trek, but I recall trying to do so. I have broken some of those with the Mayhem without trying or being aware. That surprises me. It seems to just go when I pedal or hammer it. I am also 10nlbs heavier myself. And running the plus tires.

The transfer of power I find intriguing about the Mayham, I feel the Fuel 9.9 lacks in that area compared to my Pivot 429sl that I had to sell after breaking 4 of them. I still have no desire to sell the Fuel EX 9.9, it's been a great bike with 0 problems. I will be down to 3 bikes, Transition trans Am 29er single speed the Fuel and now the Mayham 29er. Going to keep it light with 1x11 Sram xx1, Race Face Nest SL G4 crank, XTR brakes, Race Face Dropper, Enve 40mm stem and light carbon wheels. I have 3 set's to choose from. Thinking 25.5-26lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The transfer of power I find intriguing about the Mayham, I feel the Fuel 9.9 lacks in that area compared to my Pivot 429sl that I had to sell after breaking 4 of them. I still have no desire to sell the Fuel EX 9.9, it's been a great bike with 0 problems. I will be down to 3 bikes, Transition trans Am 29er single speed the Fuel and now the Mayham 29er. Going to keep it light with 1x11 Sram xx1, Race Face Nest SL G4 crank, XTR brakes, Race Face Dropper, Enve 40mm stem and light carbon wheels. I have 3 set's to choose from. Thinking 25.5-26lbs.
    Yeah I have top notch stuff too. No need to weigh it because I couldn't really get it any lighter.

Last edited by bogeydog; 07-06-2017 at 07:29 PM.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post

Picked mine up today and changed out the wheelset, stem and bars. Going for the inaugural ride at Chimpex in the morning. Hope it rides as well as it looks. Got the new graphics on the 36.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well? Where's that review?
    Made it The Wall at Der Crik? Made Dino Ridge's stairs clean, all the way up? KOM'd on "The Big Droopy" at Buff Crik? C'mon, inquiring minds are jealous!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    25.4 pounds without pedals. Ibis 742 rimswith I9 straight pull, Rocket Ron 2.8s, Next G4, Fox 34, Transfer dropper, carbon other stuff.

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I started this thread and finally received tracking numbers for my build kit for my medium Black frame! I have both wheelsets prepared and waiting... been a long time with frame sitting in a closet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Well? Where's that review?
    Made it The Wall at Der Crik? Made Dino Ridge's stairs clean, all the way up? KOM'd on "The Big Droopy" at Buff Crik? C'mon, inquiring minds are jealous!
    Ha, according to the stravas i have 99 miles on the Mayhem(took a week off for a camping trip). All but one have been Deer Creek and Chimpex/Apex with one quicky on Dakota. It climbs as well as I hoped it would, if not better. I am not making it up the wall at DC, or even attempting it, but I am making it to the wall cleanly which was one of my summer riding goals. Another summer goal I had was cleaning chimney which used to give me fits on a couple parts. I have cleaned everything except that damn rocky left hand turn which I will get this week. The bike also lets me stand up and hammer up hills. I also own a ss hardtail so I love that I can do this on a full squish bike. I set the shock at 85% of my weight, turned it to open and haven't thought about it since. I honestly have no clue what the fork is set at, I let some air out of it on my initial ride and haven't jacked with it since.

Descending, those big wheels just roll and roll fast. I was a little skittish leaning the bike over so I got a 35mm stem which seems to have done the trick for me. The tires roll over everything but you still feel the trail. The bike also seems to stay on the trail unless you pull up on it over all small bumps. My bronson and hd3 wanted to bounce somewhat in the same areas. I think this bike jumps better than my previous bikes and is more playful but ymmv. The back end of this bike is stiff, like real stiff to the point where you'll notice it railing into a turn at speed. I could feel the lateral play on my suspension on my previous bikes on couple of the fast turns descending the Apex upper gut(especially the turn into the ruts in the aspen grove), don't feel that at all with this bike. I the 140/130 travel is all I need. I am using all of it but not feeling any bottoming out.

I wasn't really a big fan of the eagle before I got this bike. I never felt like I needed a lower gear from the 42. I love the eagle now, where you just want to mindlessly pedal up something and just concentrate on steering is where it shines. It is also great for when you do stand up and hammer up a climb then get too tired, throw it on that big dish and recover(I use this a lot climbing Plymouth loop ccw at DC). I'm also hopeful that big gear will help out on big high country rides when your soul is crushed and you just want to spin back to the car.

I'm a yuge fan of these wide wheels. All they do is grip, even in this dry dirt we have I can not get em to break over. It's a learning curve for me now after sliding so many turns for years. And now I see Maxxis is about to release the Aggressor in a God fearing 2.5WT size.....
    If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

banned
    Oct 2004
    Ha, according to the stravas i have 99 miles on the Mayhem(took a week off for a camping trip). All but one have been Deer Creek and Chimpex/Apex with one quicky on Dakota....Maxxis is about to release the Aggressor in a God fearing 2.5WT size.....
    Good to hear! I took my Hightower up to Gold Dust today and can't help but wonder if I'd suffer less w/ the Mayhem!
    Oh, so that hail that bashed my car...well the Insurance co gave me $7.4K, and I got to keep my (bashed up) car. But hey, the engine is sound and all damage is only cosmetic, so screw it...driving it into the ground! Anyway, now I have fundage to get my Mayhem frame. I've got Ethan pricing one out for me w/ a DPX2, and Biker Bob just quoted me a mighty tasty price on a 2018 36 Float that'll take a 20x110 front hub.

Oh BTW, Nextie will have a sale on their plastic hoops on July 10th...at least $35 off per rim! I'm eyeballing a pair of their premium asymms.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Anybody in the 6'4" range been on an extra large? I'm pretty proportional inseam/upper body. If 5'10' works on large it seems like maybe XL might be a little smallish?

banned
    Oct 2004
    I'm a yuge fan of these wide wheels. All they do is grip, even in this dry dirt we have I can not get em to break over. It's a learning curve for me now after sliding so many turns for years. And now I see Maxxis is about to release the Aggressor in a God fearing 2.5WT size.....
    Just pulled the trigger on a large frame

Oh, BTW, Nextie has their 4th anniversary sale on their plastic hoops. At least $35 off, and that seems to be true for any flavor of rims we might use for this frame.

Also, just gave a shout out to Fox to see how much the X2 and DPX2 would cost w/ the stock shock turned in for trade.

I'm also going Eagle, X0 flavor. The gold is a bit too...much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just pulled the trigger on a large frame

Oh, BTW, Nextie has their 4th anniversary sale on their plastic hoops. At least $35 off, and that seems to be true for any flavor of rims we might use for this frame.

Also, just gave a shout out to Fox to see how much the X2 and DPX2 would cost w/ the stock shock turned in for trade.

I'm also going Eagle, X0 flavor. The gold is a bit too...much.
    I'm not a fan of Nextie for mtb rims, my local shop has had a few Nextie rims come back with breakage to thin outer walls. I have 6 sets of carbon rims 4 are Light Bicycles and all have been bullet proof more money than Nextie but worth it. Light Bicycles only does rims now, no other parts. I love the Project 321 hubs with 216 points of engagement and silent, or Dt Swiss 240 hubs 350 hubs on a budget. This is all my opinion of course!!

Since I told 2 friends about Spot Mayham and they will be getting full builds with the Mavic wheels I'm a little worried about the wheels that come with the bikes especially the Mavic hubs. Anyone give me their input/thoughts about the Mavic wheels and hubs? I believe it's the one week point on the full builds, they need more options other than Enve that are so over priced, again it's the hubs that really worry me!! I always do frame only, but not everyone can do this!

MTB B'dos
    No clue on the actual bike, but looking at the geo numbers, don't think you'd have an issue with the XL and it's 476mm Reach, not unless you have really long arms or like to run a really short stem (<40mm). I'm 6'2.25" with a 35.25" inseam and matching ape arms and my XL Prime has a 478Reach and I run it with a 50mm stem and 800mm bar and it's great, expect you being a bit taller might need a bit longer stem, depending on how upright you like to be.

Best thing I could advise is to look at your current bike and it's setup and compare the geo.

Quote Originally Posted by CO29 View Post
    Anybody in the 6'4" range been on an extra large? I'm pretty proportional inseam/upper body. If 5'10' works on large it seems like maybe XL might be a little smallish?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm 6'5'' and test rode an XL; it felt too small. The reach was short and would have required quite a long stem to get the correct reach. Additionally, the steep seat tube angle and the 175mm cranks that were on the demo bike did not position me correctly.
    While I was quite impressed with the suspension, the XL was just too small for someone of my height/body proportions.

banned
    Oct 2004
    I'm not a fan of Nextie for mtb rims, my local shop has had a few Nextie rims come back with breakage to thin outer walls. I have 6 sets of carbon rims 4 are Light Bicycles and all have been bullet proof more money than Nextie but worth it. Light Bicycles only does rims now, no other parts. I love the Project 321 hubs with 216 points of engagement and silent, or Dt Swiss 240 hubs 350 hubs on a budget. This is all my opinion of course!!

Since I told 2 friends about Spot Mayham and they will be getting full builds with the Mavic wheels I'm a little worried about the wheels that come with the bikes especially the Mavic hubs. Anyone give me their input/thoughts about the Mavic wheels and hubs? I believe it's the one week point on the full builds, they need more options other than Enve that are so over priced, again it's the hubs that really worry me!! I always do frame only, but not everyone can do this!
    I have a set of the 29er 38mm asymm now. Like them! But for the Mayhem, I think I'm headed towards their "premium" 36 symmetrical. Just a bit lighter at the outer edge of rotational mass. Polyax washer and 14mm alloy nipplers and D-Lites spokes.

I agree w/ you on the Mavic hubs...their track record is total crap! I'm headed towards a set of Onyx. Heavy, but not rotational. The above 38 are laced to some I9s...and I'm looking fwd to some dead silence!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a set of the 29er 38mm asymm now. Like them! But for the Mayhem, I think I'm headed towards their "premium" 36 symmetrical. Just a bit lighter at the outer edge of rotational mass. Polyax washer and 14mm alloy nipplers and D-Lites spokes.

I agree w/ you on the Mavic hubs...their track record is total crap! I'm headed towards a set of Onyx. Heavy, but not rotational. The above 38 are laced to some I9s...and I'm looking fwd to some dead silence!
    We think alike!! I also have a set of Onyx they are the smoothest and fastest rolling hubs on the planet. The bearing spin forever, you can now get with the alloy driver and save some weight. I have the antifreeze color they almost glow in the dark with sapin cx ray spokes and Derby 35mm hoops, by far my stiffest wheel set. I have a set of Light Bicycles 38mm wide 27.5 + wheels with the Project 321 hubs they are now silent with 216 points of engagement that I will try on the Mayham, can't wait!!

banned
    Oct 2004
    Tee hee hee...just got my frame

mtbr member
    Tee hee hee...just got my frame
    Got my first flat today on mine. Still loving this bike. Took the time today to actually set the suspension up somewhat so I'm expecting it to ride even better now.

I'm not crazy about the Mavic wheelset either. I have a standing Friday morning ride with one of the Spot guys and he rides the Mavics each time and likes em, a lot. He's fast on em and hasn't torn them up. He said they are under the Enve brand now. Price aside, I love Enve. They make a great product and back it up with a great warranty. That said, I have i9s on my bike but I probably would have kept the Mavics if they came with a wider rim.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have both. There's no real difference between them. Running pressure too low will still kill any rim. This is basically encouraged these days with wide rims and tires and flow-trails, so when the odd sharp rock does come out of nowhere, it's the end of the day for the rim more often than in years past. I have a set of Nexties that I've beat to hell, using them initially for enduro and DH riding/racing on an E29, then relacing them twice for XC on my fatbike-turned-skinny 29er and finally repainting and relacing them again for hard expert and endurance XC racing, to which they are still holding up great, 4 years down the road. I'm definitely getting my mileage out of them, and I don't ride easy at all.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Running pressure too low will still kill any rim.
    Yup, this is why I'm running above 30psi (my pump's gauge, so prob off) on all my tires, and close to 40 psi on my DH rig (alum rims DT FR570), and spending so much time on the proper setup of my suspension.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Got my first flat today on mine. Still loving this bike. Took the time today to actually set the suspension up somewhat so I'm expecting it to ride even better now.

I'm not crazy about the Mavic wheelset either. I have a standing Friday morning ride with one of the Spot guys and he rides the Mavics each time and likes em, a lot. He's fast on em and hasn't torn them up. He said they are under the Enve brand now. Price aside, I love Enve. They make a great product and back it up with a great warranty. That said, I have i9s on my bike but I probably would have kept the Mavics if they came with a wider rim.
    Well, I'm eyeballing a set of Nextie rims. Their Premium layup rims have a 3-year warranty now.
    The Mavic hubs scares me! They've historically been absolute crap in the Crossmax line and the roadie Ksryium line.
    In my hub knowledge base, I've found that the DT 240s are the lightest, but costs the most when you factor in the 54 clutch discs. The Kings are the heaviest outside of the Onyx and has the most drag w/o being loaded. Onyx are the heaviest but dead silent and its bearings are crazy smooth, the Hadleys are the best bang for the buck and relatively light w/ the same POE as the King and you can pop replacement bearings in and out easily (with their tools), and I9 are good but loud AF, 2nd lightest, and cost between a Hadley and King. But, if you want their SS driver for the I9, it bumps the rear to THE most expensive hubs in this group.
    I'd like to get my mitts on a set of Onyx...and apparently they have full stock on purple ano'd bits

banned
    Oct 2004
    I'd like to get my mitts on a set of Onyx...and apparently they have full stock on purple ano'd bits
    Hum...a full set of purple Hope Tech 3 brakes w/ purple rotors from Merlincycles.com...
    Check those prices!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hum...a full set of purple Hope Tech 3 brakes w/ purple rotors from Merlincycles.com...
    Check those prices!
    Yea I buy a lot of stuff from Merlin, great prices on Shimano to. I also get My Fox forks from Biker Bob! I just got back my 27.5+ wheel set from Project 321 with quiet 216 upgrade and Phil Wood bearings, hubs are purple!!

What fork are you going with? Drive train? Everyone should watch out for the race face next SL crank They are breaking left and right the pedal inserts come looseand also crack in that area. I have had 2 fail, one sl and the new G4. I think the G 4 are worse. I here they have the R coming out that is more suited for trail use.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Yea I buy a lot of stuff from Merlin, great prices on Shimano to. I also get My Fox forks from Biker Bob! I just got back my 27.5+ wheel set from Project 321 with quiet 216 upgrade and Phil Wood bearings, hubs are purple!!

What fork are you going with? Drive train? Everyone should watch out for the race face next SL crank They are breaking left and right the panel they are breaking left and right the pedal inserts come loose and also crack in that area. I have had 2 fail.
    Fork will be my 2015 36 Float off of my Hightower as will the X2, where I can adjust the travel w/o having to buy an air shaft. I found a freshly serviced DHX2 to replace the X2 on the Hightower. I ordered a 2018 36 Float that will go on my Hightower, with a 20mm axle. I have a spare/backup Pike w/ a couple of air shafts in 160 and 140, so the front wheels have the ability to go back and forth between 20x110 and 15x100 and I can slap it on either bike.

On the Next SL...were they the older ones or the new G4s? I did pick up a set of G4s.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Fork will be my 2015 36 Float off of my Hightower as will the X2, where I can adjust the travel w/o having to buy an air shaft. I found a freshly serviced DHX2 to replace the X2 on the Hightower. I ordered a 2018 36 Float that will go on my Hightower, with a 20mm axle. I have a spare/backup Pike w/ a couple of air shafts in 160 and 140, so the front wheels have the ability to go back and forth between 20x110 and 15x100 and I can slap it on either bike.

On the Next SL...were they the older ones or the new G4s? I did pick up a set of G4s.
    27.5+, 38mm LB with Sapim CX rays and Project 321 Hubs. I thought I had a pict of the G4 crank arm to show!! 1687g with XD driver for the set with tape and valves, 28 hole. Bonty 2.8 tires are 778 g each, I think Bontrager makes the best tires on the planet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070527.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070586.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    27.5+, 38mm LB with Sapim CX rays and Project 321 Hubs. I thought I had a pict of the G4 crank arm to show!!
    What do they weigh?

banned
    Oct 2004
    Taking my large frame to Loveland, CO to have a Cytoe downtube plate mode made. You guys will be able to get one for your frame soon

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Taking my large frame to Loveland, CO to have a Cytoe downtube plate mode made. You guys will be able to get one for your frame soon
    How are these different than stock?

banned
    Oct 2004
    I wouldn't call stock a "plate"...more like a...pad. I can see Cytoe making it so it just bolts on and use that pad as the cushion.

Think 1/8" thick piece of plastic...not foam.

I've kicked up enough chunks on my Nomad and Hightower (both have plates) that the mark on the plate might have meant a hole in the carbon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I wouldn't call stock a "plate"...more like a...pad. I can see Cytoe making it so it just bolts on and use that pad as the cushion.

I've kicked up enough chunks on my Nomad and Hightower (both have plates) that the mark on the plate might have meant a hole in the carbon.
    Looks like Thursday is the day I will be ordering spot Mayham 29er, can anybody post more pictures of the black frame. The red color does it look more red or more orange in person? Some information on dropper post do not get the race face turbine. Nobody can service it like dirt labs or others, race face will not supply parts what a joke !

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Mine is dirty right now. I prefer black because in sunlight I can see the carbon weave checker patter all over. Plus I can change look by decals and colored pieces.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Looks like Thursday is the day I will be ordering spot Mayham 29er, can anybody post more pictures of the black frame. The red color does it look more red or more orange in person? Some information on dropper post do not get the race face turbine. Nobody can service it like dirt labs or others, race face will not supply parts what a joke !
    The red is more like a tomato red...not orange, imo.
    I went w/ black too...and gonna pair it w/ purple ano bits

OH! FYI, Merlin Cycles in the UK has the BEST prices on Hope brakes (I got purple ones)...E4 for the front, and X2 for the rear.

And, speaking of X2...I'm transferring the Float X2 off of my Hightower to the Mayhem

Oh, and one last...I typically wrap a frame in the ISC helicopter tape before I start building. But ISC doesn't make rolls of heli tape in matte finish. So, found me some 3M Ventureshield that I can cut patterns off of. It's 8mils thick...

mtbr member
    My black large frame came in a few days ago. It looks very good. I will be putting on a X2 and 36 up front. I have a new 2017 160mm 36 and I am trying to decide what travel to reduce it to.
    Has anyone tried a 150mm or 140mm fork? How does it ride/climb?
    I feel 130mm up front is not going to be enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have a 140mm, 29er fork with a 2.8 27.5 tires. All good.

mtbr member
    DSC_0133.jpg
    DSC_0135.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-dsc_0133.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-dsc_0135.jpg  

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by voob View Post
    My black large frame came in a few days ago. It looks very good. I will be putting on a X2 and 36 up front. I have a new 2017 160mm 36 and I am trying to decide what travel to reduce it to.
    The Spot guys are running their 36 at 150, but with the MRP Ramp Control over charged so the fork is sucked down 10mm.
    They claim it's the most supple setup they've ever had on the Mayhem.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have a 140mm, 29er fork with a 2.8 27.5 tires. All good.

What is your opinion on using a 150mm fork

mtbr member
    The Spot guys are running their 36 at 150, but with the MRP Ramp Control over charged so the fork is sucked down 10mm.
    They claim it's the most supple setup they've ever had on the Mayhem.

Yes that is what I will end up doing. I already have the MRP and waiting for Ethan to send me the O-ring required for this set up.
    Trying to figure out if I should leave it at 160 and suck it down to 150.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    What is your opinion on using a 150mm fork
    I don't really know. I would defer to the guys and spot, since they are actually doing it. My140 was bought directly from push and modified prior to me getting it so performance is pretty good for the 140. However I don't really have a need where I ride for 150 so I have never thought about it.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Yes that is what I will end up doing. I already have the MRP and waiting for Ethan to send me the O-ring required for this set up.
    Trying to figure out if I should leave it at 160 and suck it down to 150.
    You need a new air piston rod?
    I'm gonna move my 2015 36 over from the Hightower. There's that rod chamber to tweak in that years fork.

mtbr member
    Do I need a new piston rod for 2017 fork?

banned
    Oct 2004
    Do I need a new piston rod for 2017 fork?
    I have no idea... Ethan question.

mtbr member
    I am sure he will guide me through when I do the conversion.
    Did you get the frame from Ethan? He included a custom rubber mud protector for the rear link on mine.

banned
    Oct 2004
    I am sure he will guide me through when I do the conversion.
    Did you get the frame from Ethan? He included a custom rubber mud protector for the rear link on mine.
    Yes I did, but no he didn't.

mtbr member
    oops. Ask him for one. It is actually easy to make. I will take a picture and post it.

banned
    Oct 2004
    oops. Ask him for one. It is actually easy to make. I will take a picture and post it.
    Nah, I'm good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nah, I'm good.

Thanks for the input on color and the picts!! Yea I love that carbon on the black, so it will be black!

I wish I could get a 29er fork with 46 or lower offset, have you guys read about the new Transition 2018 SBG bikes coming out on there 29er bikes they will have 42-46 fork offsets. Fox is working with them to make the forks. If you go on there sit there is a cool video that talks about it. I discovered the same thing with my Transition TranAm hardtail single speed 29er a Pike 46mm offset fork. The front end feels much more glued to the ground than with my Fox 34 with 51mm offset on the same bike with the same tire. I will play with the 46mm fork on the Mayham and compare it to my new 2018 51mm offset fork pike that I have. In my opinion it does not slow the steering down but makes it feel more natural and weights the front end better and sightly decreases the wheel base slightly. I think in the future we will see a turn to lower set back angles.

Also I use Shelter Impact Absorption clear tape on down tube, this stuff is almost 1/8 inch thick and also acts as sound deadener. I use Xpel clear guard on the rest of frame. It goes on wet so its easier to place, I have used it on so many bikes that now I an expert at installing it, its hard to see after it dries.

Anyone looking for the best bash guard that connects to ISCG tabs at BB. Get the Absoluteblack Taco Bashguard.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the input on color and the picts!! Yea I love that carbon on the black, so it will be black!

I wish I could get a 29er fork with 46 or lower offset, have you guys read about the new Transition 2018 SBG bikes coming out on there 29er bikes they will have 42-46 fork offsets. Fox is working with them to make the forks. If you go on there sit there is a cool video that talks about it. I discovered the same thing with my Transition TranAm hardtail single speed 29er a Pike 46mm offset fork. The front end feels much more glued to the ground than with my Fox 34 with 51mm offset on the same bike with the same tire. I will play with the 46mm fork on the Mayham and compare it to my new 2018 51mm offset fork pike that I have. In my opinion it does not slow the steering down but makes it feel more natural and weights the front end better and sightly decreases the wheel base slightly. I think in the future we will see a turn to lower set back angles.

Also I use Shelter Impact Absorption clear tape on down tube, this stuff is almost 1/8 inch thick and also acts as sound deadener. I use Xpel clear guard on the rest of frame. It goes on wet so its easier to place, I have used it on so many bikes that now I an expert at installing it, its hard to see after it dries.
    I'm sitting on a 46mm rake Pike. Just happened to have gotten a 140mm air shaft too
    I picked one up for about $400 ways back, that had some stanchy and lowersscratches. I then found a brand new set of lowers for $60, and then made an offer to some ebayer for $130 for a brand new set of 46mm CSU Yeah, prob ended up paying too much for the thing when all said and done...
    A bit reluctant to run it full time because I run 20mmTA on the 36s w/ the bolted clamp. No twisting can be felt on the 36, but I can...a little...on the 15mmQR forks.

mtbr member
    the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-dsc_0141.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-dsc_0142.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-dsc_0143.jpg  

mtbr member
    Some interesting info regarding fork offset in this review on pinkbike:

" My ride testing was about making a slacker bike than was then commonplace, and then to test the two offsets that were available from RockShox at the time; 51 and 46 millimeters (Fox obviously were and still are at 44mm). I did simple back to back runs on the same hardtail with a 69-degree head angle, 70-millimeter stem, a 700-millimeter front center and 700-millimeter bars. Clearly, the 46-millimeter offset fork bike was more stable downhill at speed, whereas the 51-millimeter fork simply promoted steering and correction oscillations that I felt almost needed a click of steering damper (if such a thing could exist on an MTB) to make the bike feel the same as the 46. That seemed very clear to me. I didnít find the bike was at all compromised at other times, running the extra trail, and even if it had been, the importance of stability and confidence at high speed on an off-road downhill far outweighed any other negatives. So, weíve always followed the reduced offset with slacker head angle philosophy with on-trail performance in mind rather than the car-park test in mind."

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/whyte-...rs-review.html

banned
    Oct 2004
    the pics
    Again, it's just not that much of a concern, especially here in CO where we almost never see wet trails. Also, The Mayhem's config seems to lend itself to mountain a fork Mucky Nutz fender back there...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Patriotic scheme

banned
    Oct 2004
    Patriotic scheme

Mo betta

All joking aside, a white w/ black lettering does look good, no?

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-1efff3e40a16f408a634b656704db6ec.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Mo betta

All joking aside, a white w/ black lettering does look good, no?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1efff3e40a16f408a634b656704db6ec.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	1147285
    What do you mean?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What do you mean?

Black large frame on the way. I feel like a kid in a candy store!!

banned
    Oct 2004
    What do you mean?

Patriotic scheme: red, white, and blue.

Red, black, and blue is what I typically look like after my bike throws me a beating 🤣🤣

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yeah. Not really any white though. There is silver or gray.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Yeah. Not really any white though. There is silver or gray.

That's why I "negative" your pic, to get some white in there... And I think it looks pretty good, that white, blue, black scheme, no?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Pau11y - Did you take your Mayhem to Cytoe to have a downtube plate sized? Please post pictures when you receive and install. I live in Phoenix where frames and wheels endure a loose rock beating. I will be ordering one as soon as they are available.

Thanks for posting that tip.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CDIDriver View Post
    Pau11y - Did you take your Mayhem to Cytoe to have a downtube plate sized? Please post pictures when you receive and install. I live in Phoenix where frames and wheels endure a loose rock beating. I will be ordering one as soon as they are available.

Thanks for posting that tip.
    No worries; I shall
    Yeah, I'm a member of GroAZ...know Kimmie?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, I was aware of GroAZ and their trail work and advocacy, I don't Kimmie.

Thanks Pau11y and looking forward to Cytoe's fabrication.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I should have frame Saturday, all parts are used except Head set, BB, Stem and waiting on Fox 150mm dropper. I hope the 150mm dropper will go low enough in large frame for me at 5'10 and 31.5 inseam. It will probably need to be all the way down on seat tube. I have short legs with long torso and arms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070767.jpg  

banned
    Oct 2004

Here just finished it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Here just finished it.

That is one nice looking frame! Is that a large and what size dropper are you going with?

banned
    Oct 2004
    That is one nice looking frame! Is that a large and what size dropper are you going with?
    150 Fox

Woo, I found a used Monarch Plus for cheap that I'm gonna try with my spare Pike. But it's gonna get a 36 and X2.
    Also picked up a pair of Nextie 36/29, outer/inner widths, and I'm trying to see if I can get a set of P321s to build them on. Ann's purple FTMFW

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    150 Fox

Woo, I found a used Monarch Plus for cheap that I'm gonna try with my spare Pike. But it's gonna get a 36 and X2.
    Also picked up a pair of Nextie 36/29, outer/inner widths, and I'm trying to see if I can get a set of P321s to build them on. Ann's purple FTMFW

Cool you will love P321 with the new drive system, and now they are using the EZO bearings from Japan make sure the one's you get have them. The other enduro bearings were junk. The ano on the hubs are also much better quality than I9, no fading in the sun!! Jake at Project 321 is the Man. I like Dave at Speed dreams 'great wheel builder' and gives good prices.

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    I have 3 rides on a medium black MAYHEM now. I put a 150mm Yari fork on it along with a flat handlebar so it would not get too tall. I am pleasantly surprised that it still climbs well with the downhill oriented build. No wheel flop and I cleaned a technical climb at Lair O'the Bear (CO Front Range) that I haven't made in 20 yrs of trying on THE FIRST TRY!

Totally in love with this bike and can't wait for more riding. I sold my Rollik to build this up and am also pleasantly surprised it has "pop" when hitting fun trail features & doesn't feel stuck to the ground like my other 29ers.

AWESOME!
    Last edited by twowheelfunman; 07-22-2017 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelfunman View Post
    I have 3 rides on a medium black MAYHEM now. I put a 150mm Yari fork on it along with a flat handlebar so it would get too tall. I am pleasantly surprised that it still climbs well with the downhill oriented build. No wheel flop and I cleaned a technical climb at Lair O'the Bear (CO Front Range) that I haven't made in 20 yrs of trying on THE FIRST TRY!

Totally in love with this bike and can't wait for more riding. I sold my Rollik to build this up and am also pleasantly surprised it has "pop" when hitting fun trail features & doesn't feel stuck to the ground like my other 29ers.

AWESOME!
    150mm may be the ticket!! I here the new 2018 pike for 29er wheels will go 150mm soon, parts will be released August 21st.

The build has begun!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070769.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Been getting mine dialed in. Seat placement is crucial since it has the steep seat tube. Also set shock pressure at 85% of your weight and dial in from there. That is if you have the stock shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Been getting mine dialed in. Seat placement is crucial since it has the steep seat tube. Also set shock pressure at 85% of your weight and dial in from there. That is if you have the stock shock.

Thanks for the info. Looks like this 150 dropper is going to be real close for me and my height. That little piece of foam on the downtube is not much, not the best pack job either frame was all loose inside the box. Not being picky just stating facts! This frame is definitely built well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the loan Paul11y. This protection plate can be ordered through my ad: Rock protection for Santa Cruz, Niner, Ibis, Turner, Yeti, and Spot frames - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-mayhem.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I am also about to join the club of happy Mayhem owners.
    The bike is still in the progress of getting completed, but now I am only waiting for the wheelset to get finished.
    Here are some impressions of the build:
    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-1.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-2.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-3.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-30.jpg
    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-37.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-38.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-39.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-40.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-41.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-51.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-43.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-44.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-46.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-57.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-58.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-59.jpgSPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-54.jpg
    In case someone is interested, you may check out the build thread in another (unfortunately German) forum:
    https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/trai...hem-29.849495/

Cheers
    Sacki
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-55.jpg  

BikeYoke staff member - www.bikeyoke.com

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sacki View Post
    I am also about to join the club of happy Mayhem owners.
    The bike is still in the progress of getting completed, but now I am only waiting for the wheelset to get finished.
    Here are some impressions of the build:

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	1148240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	1148241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	1148242Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	1148243

Name:	37.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	1148228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	1148229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	1148230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	1148231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	1148232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	1148244Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	1148233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44.jpg 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	1148234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	1148235Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	1148237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58.jpg 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	1148238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	1148239Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	1148236
    In case someone is interested, you may check out the build thread in another (unfortunately German) forum:
    https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/trai...hem-29.849495/

Cheers
    Sacki
    What fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I pulled this pic from the German thread that sacki linked.
    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-revel.jpg

More info pulled from the translated thread.
    weight: 2085g uncut.
    The fork has original 160mm spring travel at an installation height of 550mm. Offset: 46mm.
    By adjusting the negative spring it is trimmed to a height of 540mm, and an adaptation of the positive chamber with additional end stop reduces the spring travel by 10mm.
    Power in total: 540mm installation height and 140mm spring travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    X-Fusion Revel. It is originally designed as a 27.5 fork with 160mm of travel and A2C of 550mm.
    So I modified the negative spring, to get an A2C of 540mm and also reduced the travel by 10mm on the bottom out end to get enough clearence for big 29er tires at full bottom out (crown-tire).
    Also modified the positve chamber volume to keep the ramp-up at the end of the travel.

Final Specs:

Travel: ~140mm
    A2C: 540mm
    Fork rake: 46mm
    Weight: 2080g (uncut steerer)
    Axle/Hub: 20x110 (non-boost)

Whoops, someone was faster, sorry.
    BikeYoke staff member - www.bikeyoke.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sacki View Post
    X-Fusion Revel. It is originally designed as a 27.5 fork with 160mm of travel and A2C of 550mm.
    So I modified the negative spring, to get an A2C of 540mm and also reduced the travel by 10mm on the bottom out end to get enough clearence for big 29er tires at full bottom out (crown-tire).
    Also modified the positve chamber volume to keep the ramp-up at the end of the travel.

Final Specs:

Travel: ~140mm
    A2C: 540mm
    Fork rake: 46mm
    Weight: 2080g (uncut steerer)
    Axle/Hub: 20x110 (non-boost)

Whoops, someone was faster, sorry.
    Beautiful build, really like it.

My color is now being changed just the red on inside of rear triangle and the down tube. I'm going to match the silver to the Spot logo, I have had too many red bikes need a change!!

banned
    Oct 2004
    A 46mm rake, 140mm travel murdered out Pike RCT3 just got put together and on my frame. This will be a backup fork that can also be extended to 160 for my Hightower.

The 36 is waiting for an air shaft/piston to get it from 160 down to 140.

The matte clear bra stuff should be here tomorrow.

The purple Hope brakes are somewhere in Belgium...

The Nextie 36/29 premium rims are on their way from China.

And, gonna pull the trigger on some ano'd purple P321 hubs tomorrow, methinks.

It's gonna be a strange assortment of colors...K-coat gold on fork, shock and dropper. Ano'd purple hubs, nipples, stem cap, brakes, rotors and seatpost collar. Silver/gray letters on frame, bar, rims, cranks, stainless braided hoses, and shifter housing. And finally red panels on the frame... It should stand out!

mtbr member

It's gonna be a strange assortment of colors... It should stand out!

Ya think? Are you doing the Push thing on the 36 now and not the MRP ramp?

banned
    Oct 2004
    Ya think? Are you doing the Push thing on the 36 now and not the MRP ramp?
    Oh hell no! I'm building the Mayhem up as a lighter trail bike. If I want that expensive spring hot mess, I'd slap it on the Hightower. I'm also not putting the MRP on the '18 36...won't realize the same thing you can w/ the plunger rod air spring that Fox had. It's now the dimple thing, just like the Pike.

I got my dirty little mitts on a pretty clapped out Monarch Plus, which I'm gonna apply some tuning voodoo on. I can also tweak the Pike pretty well. So, it might be that I can get a Rockshox based squishy bits and get it feeling better than out of the box. AND, it'll have a slight weight advantage vs the 36/X2 combo I'm gonna run. So, on those high country epics...the RS stuff goes on, else, it's Fox stuff

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh hell no! I'm building the Mayhem up as a lighter trail bike. If I want that expensive spring hot mess, I'd slap it on the Hightower. I'm also not putting the MRP on the '18 36...won't realize the same thing you can w/ the plunger rod air spring that Fox had. It's now the dimple thing, just like the Pike.

I got my dirty little mitts on a pretty clapped out Monarch Plus, which I'm gonna apply some tuning voodoo on. I can also tweak the Pike pretty well. So, it might be that I can get a Rockshox based squishy bits and get it feeling better than out of the box. AND, it'll have a slight weight advantage vs the 36/X2 combo I'm gonna run. So, on those high country epics...the RS stuff goes on, else, it's Fox stuff
    Ok mine should be done Monday I hope, anymore ride reports now that you guys been riding this Mayham for a while. Someone at a competitive cyclist said it was finicky to set up the rear shock are you guys finding that true ?

banned
    Oct 2004
    Ok mine should be done Monday I hope, anymore ride reports now that you guys been riding this Mayham for a while. Someone at a competitive cyclist said it was finicky to set up the rear shock are you guys finding that true ?
    Still putting on clear bra...
    But on the one demo ride I had, I just ended up just opening up the shock to wide open and had a blast.
    I'm looking at a set of offset bushings to bring down the bb a touch...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Still putting on clear bra...
    But on the one demo ride I had, I just ended up just opening up the shock to wide open and had a blast.
    I'm looking at a set of offset bushings to bring down the bb a touch...

Yea I had the whole rear of bike a part, Really easy to work on bushings and bearings when needed. They use rubber o rings as dust and water shields around the end caps. The bearings are nothing special probably Chinese, but not sure!

I made it so I can go any color on this bike now.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Yea I had the whole rear of bike a part, Really easy to work on bushings and bearings when needed. They use rubber o rings as dust and water shields around the end caps. The bearings are nothing special probably Chinese, but not sure!

I made it so I can go any color on this bike now.
    Hum, maybe I will take it apart to do the rear triangle...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Nope. Set at 85% of weight. Adjusted rebound. Also tested using Shockwiz. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Haha, not even close. I set the air to 85% of my weight, put it in open and haven't thought about it since. I use all my travel but never feel it bottom out. I can also stand up and pedal up hill. The design of how the bike uses the rear shock was a big selling point for me. On previous bikes i had always shelled out the dough for a nice shock with a climb switch because I am real sensitive to pedal bob and just mush in general.

I'm really liking this bike more and more each time I get out on it. I'm crushing my summer climbing goals(how do you ride that rocky left hand turn on chimney?) and setting new PRs on the descents.

I got it out on a big high country ride last week and it just crushed it like i expected. I feel like I could climb all day on this bike. No squirming around on the seat trying to get comfortable finding the right spot. When it time to get rowdy i just drop the seat and have no trouble keeping up with my long travel brethren that struggled like hell on the climb up.

My only complaint is with Maxxis for not having a grown man size tire in double down casing.

mtbr member
    Adjusted rebound.
    Well poop, now I have to fiddle with mine just because.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Haha, not even close. I set the air to 85% of my weight, put it in open and haven't thought about it since. I use all my travel but never feel it bottom out. I can also stand up and pedal up hill. The design of how the bike uses the rear shock was a big selling point for me. On previous bikes i had always shelled out the dough for a nice shock with a climb switch because I am real sensitive to pedal bob and just mush in general.

I'm really liking this bike more and more each time I get out on it. I'm crushing my summer climbing goals(how do you ride that rocky left hand turn on chimney?) and setting new PRs on the descents.

I got it out on a big high country ride last week and it just crushed it like i expected. I feel like I could climb all day on this bike. No squirming around on the seat trying to get comfortable finding the right spot. When it time to get rowdy i just drop the seat and have no trouble keeping up with my long travel brethren that struggled like hell on the climb up.

My only complaint is with Maxxis for not having a grown man size tire in double down casing.

That squirming thing while climbing is the exact problem I'm having with my 2016 Trek Fuel EX 9.9 since I made it more trail oriented with 130mm fork "120mm spec" shorter stem and wide 780mm bars and the back end feels squirmy now.

My Mayham should stand out since it's the only one in this color!! Shown with my lightest race wheels 1378g for the set. 28 hole 27mm wide, Sapim CX Ray spokes DT Swiss 350 staight-pull hubs. Hubs came on 2016 Pivot 429 trail. I torn the alloy rims off and had the LB rims built up, so far holding up great!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_1726.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_1729.jpg  

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-img_1730.jpg  

Last edited by dgw7000; 07-31-2017 at 04:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

I am 6' 4" and the Mayhem fits me perfectly with a 50mm stem.

Quote Originally Posted by CO29 View Post
    I love sitting up in the middle of the bike, and I have much more control over the bike, especially in tricky sections and switchbacks. The bike is amazing. This a huge improvement over traditional geometry. I bought the spot frame to replace a traditional bike frame, with Salsa geometry. I have 4 bikes, and the Mayhem has by far the best geometry for tall dudes. My Lynskey full squish is close but not quite as steep a seat tube. My other bikes have traditional geo, and, yes, I can ride them, but wow, climbing steep tech stuff is hard and dangerous in comparison. Tall guys with long legs are sitting to far back on steep climbs with old school bikes, and the Spot solves that problem. Besides, everthing else is wonderful on the Spot. As stated before, pedaling is efficient. I am on a loaner fork, and will post a full review once mi Pike plus gets installed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Smmcpherron View Post
    I love sitting up in the middle of the bike, and I have much more control over the bike, especially in tricky sections and switchbacks. The bike is amazing. This a huge improvement over traditional geometry. I bought the spot frame to replace a traditional bike frame, with Salsa geometry. I have 4 bikes, and the Mayhem has by far the best geometry for tall dudes. My Lynskey full squish is close but not quite as steep a seat tube. My other bikes have traditional geo, and, yes, I can ride them, but wow, climbing steep tech stuff is hard and dangerous in comparison. Tall guys with long legs are sitting to far back on steep climbs with old school bikes, and the Spot solves that problem. Besides, everthing else is wonderful on the Spot. As stated before, pedaling is efficient. I am on a loaner fork, and will post a full review once mi Pike plus gets installed.
    Well it looks like the 150 dropper is not gonna work in my application 10mm too high, this really sucks now I have to go down to the 125 mm. Now build is going to be delayed a few more days again !!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast