Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,060 of 1060
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    The wife and I just put in an order for two Mayhems last night. 1 Small in Red and 1 XL in black. Both 5 star builds. We are so excited! We should have them in ~1.5 weeks.

Have you guys put anything on your frames to protect the paint? I know it's a MTB and it's going to get beat up, but I'd like to keep the frame looking nice.
    Congrats!! I have been using this the last few years https://www.amazon.com/ISC-Racers-Ta...rs%2Btape&th=1. 2"x30' roll for $35 will do both bikes and have quite a bit left over. If you can find a full frame skin for the bike they are pretty nice but $100 on tape is a bit more than I wanted to pay.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
    Congrats!! I have been using this the last few years https://www.amazon.com/ISC-Racers-Ta...rs%2Btape&th=1. 2"x30' roll for $35 will do both bikes and have quite a bit left over. If you can find a full frame skin for the bike they are pretty nice but $100 on tape is a bit more than I wanted to pay.

Awesome, thank you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi all,
    First post on here. I've pretty much narrowed my search for a new bike down to the mayhem. I won't be able to do a test ride. I read through everything on here. It seems that picking the right size is key. I am just over 5'10". Inseam is just under 32". Would I be correct in going with a large? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SrtKarter99 View Post
    Hi all,
    First post on here. I've pretty much narrowed my search for a new bike down to the mayhem. I won't be able to do a test ride. I read through everything on here. It seems that picking the right size is key. I am just over 5'10". Inseam is just under 32". Would I be correct in going with a large? Thanks.
    Yes, absolutely.

mtbr member
    Might be the last ride before Hurricane Lane destroy the trails on the island. Btw its a med and I'm 5'6.5" in case someone is wondering.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SrtKarter99 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am 5'8" with 30" inseam and am on a medium Rollik. The spot bikes have a bit more tight cockpit than some of the other new bikes so I would imagine Large would be perfect for you. The medium fits me perfectly but I've also ridden a large and it didn't feel too big either

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    This may have already been posted, but pretty awesome Labor Day sale going on at Spot.
    https://spotbrand.com/collections/mo...nt=35707786828

Considering the new Yeti SB130 is going to be $3800 just for the frame, the 4 Star Mayhem build for $4k is a ridiculous deal.
    Noticed the Rollik isn't on sale but the Mayhem is. Wonder if there is an update in the works?

mtbr member
    i have XL mayhem for next few days, that my buddy let me ride while he is gone. i did a ride today, but boy this bike is harsh. i was wandering if somebody could help me set the shock up properly. it has fox dpx2 shock. when i rode the bike today, downhill was really uncomfortable, as it felt really harsh once it got rocky. shock was in open position the whole time, played with rebound but it didnt help much. at the end of the run i found out i used up all the travel even though there were no big hits or drops. i checked the pressure and got 160psi reading (knowing my shock pump, there was probably bit more psi in it). at this point i didnt know what to do, either lower the pressure and blow through travel even more easily or up the pressure and just live with stiff rear. i pumped it up to 185psi, which is roughly my riding weight. this resulted in rear end feeling like a hard tail. i did the same downhill run again, but only thing i solved was that i only went through maybe 85%-90% of travel. again no bigh hits or drops, just rocky descend. my friend mentioned that the bike feels stiff in general, but boy, after demoing ripmo 2 weeks back, this suspension felt really ridiculous.
    also another question for long time 29er owners (i am long time 650b guy), the bike (as well as ripmo)even though i am 6' 3", feels big in general, it felt sluggish on steep rocky technical climbs and was hard to get off the ground. is this typical for all 29ers? on the plus side i liked how it would pick up and carry the speed, but i dont think i am ready to sacrifice speed for fun.
    any advice appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    i have XL mayhem for next few days, that my buddy let me ride while he is gone. i did a ride today, but boy this bike is harsh. i was wandering if somebody could help me set the shock up properly. it has fox dpx2 shock. when i rode the bike today, downhill was really uncomfortable, as it felt really harsh once it got rocky. shock was in open position the whole time, played with rebound but it didnt help much. at the end of the run i found out i used up all the travel even though there were no big hits or drops. i checked the pressure and got 160psi reading (knowing my shock pump, there was probably bit more psi in it). at this point i didnt know what to do, either lower the pressure and blow through travel even more easily or up the pressure and just live with stiff rear. i pumped it up to 185psi, which is roughly my riding weight. this resulted in rear end feeling like a hard tail. i did the same downhill run again, but only thing i solved was that i only went through maybe 85%-90% of travel. again no bigh hits or drops, just rocky descend. my friend mentioned that the bike feels stiff in general, but boy, after demoing ripmo 2 weeks back, this suspension felt really ridiculous.
    also another question for long time 29er owners (i am long time 650b guy), the bike (as well as ripmo)even though i am 6' 3", feels big in general, it felt sluggish on steep rocky technical climbs and was hard to get off the ground. is this typical for all 29ers? on the plus side i liked how it would pick up and carry the speed, but i dont think i am ready to sacrifice speed for fun.
    any advice appreciated.
    Call Spot

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Spot guys are awesome and should get you figured out real quick - dont hesitate to use the experts with more saddle time on this bike than anyone else!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Not Mavics carbon rims but I have a Intense Recluse Elite build and my Intense carbon rear wheel cracked on a ride and of course Intense wont warranty it. So I guess I'm in the same boat as you.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Anyone using 12speed on their mayhem? Does it change how the shock behaves at all?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    Anyone using 12speed on their mayhem? Does it change how the shock behaves at all?

All I have ever used. In what way do you expect a change?

Jim Dunks
    Jan 2012

12 speed here also. Running the DPX2 at the moment. Rides great but I don't think the 11 speed would change anything.

mtbr member

Are you referring to something other than a 12 speed drivetrain?

Otherwise, Iím not sure why the bike would be different at all between using a 10, 11 or 12-speed cassette. Is there something Iím missing?

dmo
    mtbr member
    Does having a bigger chainring contribute to more antisquat or is that not with this design of suspension?

mtbr member
    Does having a bigger chainring contribute to more antisquat or is that not with this design of suspension?

I have eagle and i don't notice or feel any difference whichever cog its on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Any TALL guys ( > 6í2Ē with looong) arms riding a Mayhem?

I really like the looks and ride reports are great...but Iíve been going back and forth for over 6mos bc Iím worried about being cramped.

I really dig the long bikes (like the Smuggler), but felt cramped on the 4.5c....and think Pivot should have went even bigger/longer reach on the new Trail429.

I worry that, no matter how it rides, Iíll be uncomfortable....like they need an XXL.

SO: any tall guys digging their Mayhem???

mtbr member
    Iíve had guys up to 6í6Ē on our XL Mayhem and no one has ever complained about feeling cramped. It fits the tall guys better than any XL frame weíve had over the last three years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Long time lurker. First post. Just placed my order today! I had asked a question, and got a reply on Sunday (Labor Day weekend) at 7:30pm. Definitely not getting that type of service from big companies!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Iím not in spots pro delivery network, Iím most likely going to assemble the bike myself. I know my way around a bike well enoug to be confident, but Iíve never built a bike ground up. Is the spot mostly pre assembled? Or should I plan on having to install all the components? Iím mostly concerned about The wheels. Should I expect Tru an tensioned wheels out of the box?

Norūwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by MarbleNY View Post
    Should I expect Tru an tensioned wheels out of the box?
    I don't have personal experience with Spot yet, but assembling a bike from a reputable brand is simple, just keep a torque wrench handy to get proper nm on everything that needs fastening.

Yes, wheels should be ready to rock.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MarbleNY View Post
    Iím not in spots pro delivery network, Iím most likely going to assemble the bike myself. I know my way around a bike well enoug to be confident, but Iíve never built a bike ground up. Is the spot mostly pre assembled? Or should I plan on having to install all the components? Iím mostly concerned about The wheels. Should I expect Tru an tensioned wheels out of the box?
    I received two spot mayhems in the mail on Friday. I had to attach the stem to the fork steerer tube, attach the derailleur, install the wheels, pump up the tires and add my pedals. Took about 30min per bike (Spot really wraps and packs the bike well so it takes a little time to unwrap everything). Derailleur was already tuned, shocks where setup by spot (I tweaked the settings slightly).

Very easy to do yourself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I received two spot mayhems in the mail on Friday. I had to attach the stem to the fork steerer tube, attach the derailleur, install the wheels, pump up the tires and add my pedals. Took about 30min per bike (Spot really wraps and packs the bike well so it takes a little time to unwrap everything). Derailleur was already tuned, shocks where setup by spot (I tweaked the settings slightly).

Very easy to do yourself.
    Fantastic! Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Who here went from the Rollik 557 to a Mayhem? Any compare / contrast observations?

Love my 557 - but my steel 29er hardtail has been a bit of a revelation... kinda thinking if its a Rollik w 29er wheels - and those big wheel beni's - maybe worth a jump. If its a different beast all together?

Im gonna throw the boys a call to demo - prob next week - but would be keen to gain some seat of pants experience from this forum!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post

I really like the looks and ride reports are great...but Iíve been going back and forth for over 6mos bc Iím worried about being cramped.

I really dig the long bikes (like the Smuggler), but felt cramped on the 4.5c....and think Pivot should have went even bigger/longer reach on the new Trail429.

I worry that, no matter how it rides, Iíll be uncomfortable....like they need an XXL.

Hey, I'm 6'1'' but with long arms and long inseam (don't know arm length but i'm between 34'' and 34.5'' inseam.) I demoed the L mayhem in golden and felt cramped. I bought the XL, and while I only have 4 rides on it, it feels great. I have a 50mm stem on mine, and I think the Mayhem is supposed to come with a 60mm. I'm coming off of a L Ripley with a 80mm stem (which I felt cramped on).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey, I'm 6'1'' but with long arms and long inseam (don't know arm length but i'm between 34'' and 34.5'' inseam.) I demoed the L mayhem in golden and felt cramped. I bought the XL, and while I only have 4 rides on it, it feels great. I have a 50mm stem on mine, and I think the Mayhem is supposed to come with a 60mm. I'm coming off of a L Ripley with a 80mm stem (which I felt cramped on).
    Thanks for the info. I demo'd an XL Ripley (whatever stem length is stock) and it felt too small.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the info. I demo'd an XL Ripley (whatever stem length is stock) and it felt too small.
    OK, I'd recommend demoing before buying then. With my 50mm stem on the XL mayhem the reach was about the same as a L ripley with an 80mm stem.

As others have stated, it's a bit of a different feel then other bikes given the steep seat tube angle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    My bike arrived today. Woohoo! I have to give a huge shout out to the spot team. There were some supply issues for some upgrade options (factory 36 and factory dpx2) because of higher than anticipated demand during their Labor Day sale.

After some back and forth with some alternatives (Iím going to VT next weekend and really wanted the bike in time) they were able to pull a barely used fork and rear shock off a demo (if they didnít tell me it was from a demo, I wouldnít have known it wasnít new. Not a scuff), for a nice discount and send it out yesterday. They were able to next day it to me. So I got a 4 star build, with a factory 36 140mm, and factory dpx2 for $4100. They really want to take care of their customers.

The bike arrived, packs perfectly. Sealant already in the tires. Just had to bolt on the stem to the headset, screw the derailer hanger to the frame, pop on the wheels, inflate the tires and fit the bike/dial in the suspension (still working on this).

Of course it rained unexpectedly, but I did get out for a few minutes. This is the nicest bike Iíve owned by a long shot, but man... I didnít realize how peppy a bike could feel. Itís hard for me to explain. But it just feels fast. Iím hoping for some dry weather in the morning!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Congrats on the new ride MarbleNY. You wouldn't be headed to Kingdom Trails next weekend by chance? Just spent the weekend there and had a fantastic time. PM me if you want specifics on the trails.

I rode with a local on Saturday that really knew the trail system (my first time there) and we hammered everything pretty hard. Never did I feel that the Mayhem was even close to it's limits. It's been said over and over, but this has to be one of the top climbing bikes out there..... not bad on the downs either!

Again, congrats on the new ride. If you're headed to KT, be sure to park at the Tiki Bar. Tons of riders start their ride from here and the atmosphere is pure mountain biking bliss. Socializing with a cold beverage, or 2, after your ride is highly recommended as well!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Wheel size recommendations

There has been some discussion on this thread regarding the 27+ vs 29 setup. I just made the change and thought I'd give my impressions since reading through this helped me make my decision.

I demoed the bike in a 29er setup and loved it, but I purchased the 27+ since it was the only model the LBS had left during a sale a year ago. For the sale price I could pick up a set of 29er wheels and still be money ahead. Turns out I had so much fun on the 27+ that I just rode that for the last year. I was surprised that I would like the 27+ so much be because I hated the setup in other bikes I demoed, particularly the Yeti. The 27+ tires gave me so much more confidence to try lines and drops that I had not ridden before, especially in loose, sketchy conditions. But with the increase speed I was carrying through rock gardens, I started smashing rims. When my original rear Mavic XA Elite 27+ rear wheel needed to be replaced, after reading the comments on here, I decided to give the Santa Cruz Reserve 30 29er's a try and set them up with Minion DHF front and Aggressor 2.3 rear with the Double Down casing (rear only). I wanted a setup that I could bomb through rock gardens without worrying about bending the rim beads like I had been doing with the 27+ setup.

Uphill on Chimney Gulch in Golden (rocky and technical, slightly loose), my Strava times were nearly equal between the two wheel setups. Not surprisingly, I found the 27+ climbed better where traction was a factor and the 29 climbed better where roll over was the limiting factor. I was able to climb some of the more technical rocky sections much easier on the 29 setup. I could just standup and power over things that stopped me on my 27+ setup. But overall, I prefer the 27+ since it just grips and climbs like a tractor over everything but the most technical sections.

Downhill on Enchanted Forest (swoopy fast dirt with roots and rock drops) and Apex Gut (sharp nasty rocks - where I blew up my 27+ setup) it was no comparison. The 29er set-up with the Reserve 30 wheels and DD rear tire blew the 27+ away. I felt like I was on rails carving through the dirt corners on the skinnier, higher pressure DHF/Aggressor combo. On Apex Gut, the higher pressure and better roll-over allowed me to plow through the sharp rocks in a way that I am certain would have destroyed another Mavic rim.

So for me, the 29er set-up with Reserve rims and DHF 2.5/Aggressor 2.3 DD is the ticket I needed to survive the sharp rocks of the Golden area trails I like to ride. Much better roll over and higher pressure = less rim strikes. And given how much better it is at railing corners on tacky dirt, I can't wait to get it to places like Crested Butte.

That being said; however, I love the 27+ setup on this bike too (I'm not sure why I like it on this bike but hated it on other like the Yeti. I'm thinking it has to do the stiffer rear triangle on the Spot. The Yeti plus bike just seemed very vague when cornering and would not hold.) I will be rebuilding my trashed rear wheel and swapping back and forth between the wheel sets. The 27+ is simply more fun when playing around on loose janky trails like Dakota Ridge where I want that extra degree of confidence to send bigger drops with sketchier landings.

If you ride tacky dirt trails mostly, I would get the 29er set-up for the scalpel like precision.

If you ride rocky, technical trails, it is a toss-up. 29er for speed and better roll-over. 27+ for tractor-like climbing and more cushy descending. 29er better on solid trails where roll-over is critical. 27+ better on loose trails where tractions is critical.

If you ride like a hammerhead and bust rims, I would get the 29er. It seems checking tire pressure and adjusting for different conditions is much more critical with the 27+. I would need to run normal pressure on the climb to get the most out of the rubber, but then add air for the descent so I wouldn't get rim strikes. The 29er is more set-it and forget it and not as critical of 1 or 2 psi less than optimal.

If you are just looking for a fun, confidence inspiring bike that will handle anything, but maybe not in the fastest time I would get the 27+ set-up. If you are wanting to tackle sections that you have previously walked, the 27+ set-up is a great option.

Or just get both set-ups, since the bike is made for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
    There has been some discussion on this thread regarding the 27+ vs 29 setup. I just made the change and thought I'd give my impressions since reading through this helped me make my decision.

I demoed the bike in a 29er setup and loved it, but I purchased the 27+ since it was the only model the LBS had left during a sale a year ago. For the sale price I could pick up a set of 29er wheels and still be money ahead. Turns out I had so much fun on the 27+ that I just rode that for the last year. I was surprised that I would like the 27+ so much be because I hated the setup in other bikes I demoed, particularly the Yeti. The 27+ tires gave me so much more confidence to try lines and drops that I had not ridden before, especially in loose, sketchy conditions. But with the increase speed I was carrying through rock gardens, I started smashing rims. When my original rear Mavic XA Elite 27+ rear wheel needed to be replaced, after reading the comments on here, I decided to give the Santa Cruz Reserve 30 29er's a try and set them up with Minion DHF front and Aggressor 2.3 rear with the Double Down casing (rear only). I wanted a setup that I could bomb through rock gardens without worrying about bending the rim beads like I had been doing with the 27+ setup.

Uphill on Chimney Gulch in Golden (rocky and technical, slightly loose), my Strava times were nearly equal between the two wheel setups. Not surprisingly, I found the 27+ climbed better where traction was a factor and the 29 climbed better where roll over was the limiting factor. I was able to climb some of the more technical rocky sections much easier on the 29 setup. I could just standup and power over things that stopped me on my 27+ setup. But overall, I prefer the 27+ since it just grips and climbs like a tractor over everything but the most technical sections.

Downhill on Enchanted Forest (swoopy fast dirt with roots and rock drops) and Apex Gut (sharp nasty rocks - where I blew up my 27+ setup) it was no comparison. The 29er set-up with the Reserve 30 wheels and DD rear tire blew the 27+ away. I felt like I was on rails carving through the dirt corners on the skinnier, higher pressure DHF/Aggressor combo. On Apex Gut, the higher pressure and better roll-over allowed me to plow through the sharp rocks in a way that I am certain would have destroyed another Mavic rim.

So for me, the 29er set-up with Reserve rims and DHF 2.5/Aggressor 2.3 DD is the ticket I needed to survive the sharp rocks of the Golden area trails I like to ride. Much better roll over and higher pressure = less rim strikes. And given how much better it is at railing corners on tacky dirt, I can't wait to get it to places like Crested Butte.

That being said; however, I love the 27+ setup on this bike too (I'm not sure why I like it on this bike but hated it on other like the Yeti. I'm thinking it has to do the stiffer rear triangle on the Spot. The Yeti plus bike just seemed very vague when cornering and would not hold.) I will be rebuilding my trashed rear wheel and swapping back and forth between the wheel sets. The 27+ is simply more fun when playing around on loose janky trails like Dakota Ridge where I want that extra degree of confidence to send bigger drops with sketchier landings.
    What size plus tires are you running? I wonder if you'd enjoy the Rollik as much? I run 2.6 tires on my Rollik and absolutely love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rmanalan View Post
    What size plus tires are you running? I wonder if you'd enjoy the Rollik as much? I run 2.6 tires on my Rollik and absolutely love it.

I ran it wth the 2.8 Rekon+ that came stock. I haven't ridden the new Rollik 607 yet, but am looking forward to demoing one. I demoed the Rollik 557 and preferred the Mayhem, but the new Rollik looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rmanalan View Post
    Which 2.6 tires are you running? I didn't like the nobby nic on the front it came with, not enough cornering traction. I put on a 2.6 butcher instead which I like a lot better, but definitely isn't a true 2.6 in that rim, maybe 2.4.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post
    Which 2.6 tires are you running? I didn't like the nobby nic on the front it came with, not enough cornering traction. I put on a 2.6 butcher instead which I like a lot better, but definitely isn't a true 2.6 in that rim, maybe 2.4.
    I'm running 2.6 and 2.6 Maxxis DHF and DHF 3c. Tons of grip and they don't seem possible to puncture but I'm thinking about going to do something smaller as I'm considering orientating myself toward XC rather than enduro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COBenG View Post
    I'm running Bontrager XR4 2.6 on the front and XR2 2.6 on the back. Liking the combo so far. I get a NICA discount on from Trek hence the Bontrager tires over more traditional Maxxis/Shwalbe, but in all honesty, I really like them... and actually the Bontragers tires are actually manufactured by Maxxis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Just curious as to how long you had to wait for your Mayhem? I'm in northern California and ordered mine 10 day's ago but haven't really anything since. I'm anxious to get it because of all the great reviews I've read and I just broke my Intense Recluse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by intense tc View Post
    Just curious as to how long you had to wait for your Mayhem? I'm in northern California and ordered mine 10 day's ago but haven't really anything since. I'm anxious to get it because of all the great reviews I've read and I just broke my Intense Recluse.
    I ordered mine on the 31st. They said at the time probably 2 weeks due to high volume of Labor Day sale orders.

I check my email every 5 minutes for a tracking #, I think that's supposed to help it arrive faster.

Still chuggin' along
    I'm in VA, ordered mine over labor day weekend, it was delivered to VeloFix last Thursday and they just delivered it on Tuesday. I have yet to be able to take it on the trails with all the rain we've been having. I hope you get to ride yours soon!
    Make Everyday your Masterpiece - George Michael

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpicha View Post
    I'm in VA, ordered mine over labor day weekend, it was delivered to VeloFix last Thursday and they just delivered it on Tuesday.
    Not fair!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

YO I'm 6' 3", long arms (36" sleeve), circus like inseam at 37.5" riding an XL Mayhem that feels shortish in the cockpit compared to other bikes - but I love it! I get your liking of a stretched out cockpit as I have an XL Kona Wozo which is waaay longer cockpit than Mayhem and probably more so than most bikes. BUT, I quickly got used to the shortish feeling Mayhem cockpit and now prefer it over a stretched out one for the following reasons. First it climbs like a beast because of the steep seat tube which is where the shortish feeling comes from yet you quickly find this is such a superior climbing position for power and control. I now hate climbing anything steep on the stretched out Wozo even though it has a steep seat tube too as it does not feel as good. In fact I have tried to shorten the Wozo cockpit as much as possible to more closely replicate the feeling of the Mayhem. Secondly, the Mayhem cockpit is a non-issue descending as on the XL with the 175 dropper you can literally get the seat out of the way and move all over on the bike. When I do want to sit down descending I like how it puts me towards the front wheel so I can easily weight the front wheel and carve instead of that feeling I get from longer cockpits where the front wheel can't seem to get enough weight on it when the dropper seat is in use. The ONLY time I notice what feels to me like a cramped cockpit is on level ground where my hands feel more under me than out in front like on Wozo. As I ride in CO, its mostly up and down with not much flat riding so I really dig the Mayhem geometry. I'm also running a short stem (50mm hope +20 rise) so that tells you I'm not fighting what feels like a shorter cockpit by looking for a longer stem. Would I buy it again. Absolutely. Will you feel cramped? Probably - but you may end up realizing you like it. Best to demo it on the trails you want to ride. Hope this helps ya.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Ya I'm a little nervous about it. I waited more then 3 months for my Intense Recluse in a small. After 3 months they were still never able to produce a new one in a small and they ended up finding me a demo bike. I called Spot before I ordered it to make sure they had new smalls in stock and they said they had plenty of them. I'm guessing they are selling a little more then expected so there a little backed up. Patience, patience, patience something I'm not so good at.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ya I'm a little nervous about it. I waited more then 3 months for my Intense Recluse in a small. After 3 months they were still never able to produce a new one in a small and they ended up finding me a demo bike. I called Spot before I ordered it to make sure they had new smalls in stock and they said they had plenty of them. I'm guessing they are selling a little more then expected so there a little backed up. Patience, patience, patience something I'm not so good at.
    Hey, I placed an order, expected to have them in around a week (I may have misunderstood what was communicated to me), but got the bikes in about 2.5 weeks. Great company, good support, fantastic bikes, but due to their size I think sometimes they may struggle when things get busy? Just a guess, not complaining. Remember, I *think* they are company of like 6-8 guys.

Both the wife and I got a Mayhem, and they were well worth the wait. I plan on writing up a little review here shortly after I get a few more rides in, but in short, we love them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I got mine prettt quick from Labor Day sale, but they pulled the fork and shock off a demo bike. From what I understand some of the components were on back order. And Iím pretty sure a lot of the components come factory (China) direct so waiting on shipping and customs etc.

The bike is awesome. I love that theyíre a small company. Iíd so much rather help smaller business when I can.

Theyíre service Is great. Itíll be worth the wait, but they should communicate lead times on the website better. I think it says most bikes Arrive in 4 days which isnít the case.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the replies. It's reassuring to get an idea of what to expect. I'll check with them again at the end of next week which will be day 19. Hopefully it will have shipped by then and I wont need to check again. Man it sucks being short. Allot of high end bike companies don't even make Mountain frames in a small.

Still chuggin' along
    What day did you order yours and what color? Maybe the color is the holdup b/c mine is a small, too; matte hot tomato, maybe the gray is low on stock? or maybe there's some part that they're out of. I ordered mine on Aug. 31. and it was shipped a few days, later.They were very communicative with the payment options and shipping info. so, I hope you hear something soon!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I heard there is a backup due to the Labor Day sale and waiting on the Fox 36 forks to come in.

If you are worried, just call or email them. They were always responsive when I was ordering my Mayhem last month.

On another note, has anyone swapped their stock Fox 34 with the new 36? I'm thinking about making the upgrade soon and wondering if I can DIY it or if I should have a shop do it. I've never swapped a fork, but it doesn't look too difficult unless you have to cut the top down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mc1620 View Post
    I heard there is a backup due to the Labor Day sale and waiting on the Fox 36 forks to come in.

If you are worried, just call or email them. They were always responsive when I was ordering my Mayhem last month.

On another note, has anyone swapped their stock Fox 34 with the new 36? I'm thinking about making the upgrade soon and wondering if I can DIY it or if I should have a shop do it. I've never swapped a fork, but it doesn't look too difficult unless you have to cut the top down.
    I didn't swap it for the 36, but I put a 140 Pike on mine and I absolutely love it. It's lighter than the Fox 36, and I think the Pike's characteristics are slightly more appropriate for the bike than the big-hit 36. I ride in the Colorado high country primarily (I live in Eagle, and ride all around the state) and I'd much rather have a smooth, progressive fork like the Pike than the Fox 36.

I don't think it necessarily "transformed" the bike, but it definitely made it more fun and added to the capabilities. The Mayhem was already a kick-ass bike, but now it's even more so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I didn't swap it for the 36, but I put a 140 Pike on mine and I absolutely love it. It's lighter than the Fox 36, and I think the Pike's characteristics are slightly more appropriate for the bike than the big-hit 36. I ride in the Colorado high country primarily (I live in Eagle, and ride all around the state) and I'd much rather have a smooth, progressive fork like the Pike than the Fox 36.

I don't think it necessarily "transformed" the bike, but it definitely made it more fun and added to the capabilities. The Mayhem was already a kick-ass bike, but now it's even more so.
    I ride high country and front range also.

How easy was it to swap out the for the Pike? Did you install yourself?

mtbr member
    Yep, super easy. Youíll have to pull the crown race off the Fox and put it on the new fork, but thatís about it. It took 15 minutes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Yaaahooo. Got word it shipped today. Hope to have it by the end of the week.

Still chuggin' along
    Yaaahooo. Got word it shipped today. Hope to have it by the end of the week.
    That's great!! I finally got to ride mine yesterday and you'll love it! Especially climbing!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So my wife and I have owned our Mayhems for about 3 weeks now and I figured I'd write up a little review, as I had appreciated what other rider's thoughts were previous to buying these bikes.

I'm coming off a 2013 Ripley (size large, with 130mm pike) and my wife is coming off a 2012 SC Superlight 29er (size small). I first heard of the Mayhem off this thread a few months back, and had the chance to demo the Mayhems from Spot's facility in Golden while we were in Colorado on vacation in August. We live about an hour north of Chicago.

Before demoing these bikes, I really had no intention of getting a new bike. Our vacation to Colorado was centered around mountain biking, and finding a new bike for my wife. Spot was our last stop on our "demo tour" before heading back home.

Setting up a demo time was easy, and the Spot guys really took their time making sure the bikes were set up right for us. They recommended we ride the Apex trail in Golden which is just a few minutes from their office.

Well the test ride had us sold. By the time we had gotten to the top of Apex before heading down the echanted forest trail, my wife goes, "no wonder they demo these for free, they sell themselves!" That was before we even got to descend on the bikes...

So here's my summary of the bike. (To me) the bike is extremely stiff, especially the rear. My ripley felt like a wet noodle when I would really push it in turns and going down hill. I know since 2013 Ibis has made some changes so I can't compare it to the 2018 ripley. It's also firmer. When I first got on it and started to climb, it really didn't feel like the rear end of the bike was moving, yet it kept traction. Climbing is better on this bike then anything else I've tried. Going down is even better. It's stable, confidence inspiring, and took on everything with out issue, and feels in general that it will not struggle with anything that I would actually ride. Basically I've become the weak link, not the bike. Before the demo, I had ridden Apex before and it was challenging. The Mayhem felt like cheating.

My one very minor complaint is that the Mayhem is not as "playful" as the Ripley, but that's to be expected. The Ripley is shorter, lighter and has a steeper heat tube angle, but to me there are more cons with that and I'll happily give up a little of the playfulness. The mayhem wants to barrel down hill while the ripley is a little more finicky in what lines you pick. However because of this, I'm finding myself picking harder, rougher/challenging lines back on my home trails with the mayhem. As someone said in this thread (can't find it now), the mayhem just does a better job at what the ripley does in climbing and descents.

The frame construction seems to be high quality. I went with black and my wife went with red. Both colors are great. They have a protective material on the bottom of the down tube near the BB, and other places on the rear triangle to protect from the chain. We added 3M automotive tape in key areas for further protection.

We went with the 5 star build, however our bikes came with Fox 36s with the 140mm upgrade. Not sure why Spot gave us 36s but I'm not complaining Really like the fork. Haven't decided if I like it more than my old Pike, but it's good.

The Revive post is awesome. Hands down better than my old KS LEV. The build in bleed lever is genius. The post actuates so much easier than my KS, and returns quicker. Spot's choice on this post was a good one.

The Stans wheels with Neo hubs seem fine. The hubs are louder compared to my DTSwiss 350s, for what it's worth. I seem to be developing some strange noise, possibly from the spokes when I really put some force on my cranks, but it's minor. Not sure if that's due to the wheels or drive train, but it sounds like a spoke. I did ride the Enve wheels when I demoed and they were stiffer, but I couldn't justify the cost (and riding around with something that says "ENVE")... sorry, hope I don't offend anyone with that comment. The Nobby Nics are good enough, better than what I expected. Enough grip for me that I won't change them out until they are worn.

In my opinion the sram guide brakes are not as good as shimano. Just my opinion, and not meant to be a knock on Spot. I just feel like I have to pull so much harder on the Srams to get the same braking force as I did on my 2013 shimano XT brakes. The rotors just don't look as cool as the "ice" rotors too The Sram brakes work, and if you're not picky you probably will be happy with them (or even if you are picky), but in my opinion I prefer shimano.

The 5 star build comes with eagle x01 derailleur and shifter, but NOT the x01 cassette (I think it's the GX?) Somewhat disappointed with that when I realized it, but again, that's my personal preference. My Ripley had a full X01 11 speed that I added to it in 2015 and that system just shifted and sounded so much better. I don't know if it's the gx cassette, or just going from 11 speeds to 12, but I'm not too crazy about the shifting and sound. It works, and having that huge cog in the back is very nice, but unless the chain is super clean it sounds like something is off in the back. I recently ordered the sram b-gap tool and will check the b-gap when it arrives. The shift from the 9/10/11 cog going up to an easier gear is not as smooth as I expected. On a frame that is nearly silent (especially compared to a creaking 2013 ripley) hearing a bit of what sounds like chain grind is slightly annoying. Again, this is extremely picky of me, I know, but just thought I'd point that out.

Overall, we are both extremely happy with our new bikes. It was definitely a larger jump up for my wife, but even for me, coming from the ripley, I was super impressed.. so much so that I went from "my ibis is great, I don't need a new bike" to "must have!" The bikes are just fun, and Spot is really on to something with their living link system. To me it's superior to anything I've tried from the bigger, well known brands. I'm faster with this bike on my local trails than I was on my Ripley. My trails are what you'd expect for midwest riding. I can only assume I'd be faster on most trails vs the ripley.

I'm not a professional reviewer, so sorry if I missed something. I'd be happy to answer any questions, so just let me know!

Oh, and I should note: I ended up buying a XL even though I demoed a L. The large just felt little cramped. Spot was great in spending a lot of time on the phone with me after demoing (when I got home) in going through sizing questions, and actually having me provide certain measurements off my old bike. We settled on the XL and I'm glad I did. I'm a hair over 6' 1'', with a 34'' inseam. My arms are long.

Edited to add: the Ripley was and still is a fantastic bike. It was my first "really nice" bike and ibis is also a fantastic company with great service. I was planning on eventually replacing my v1 og with another newer Ripley or ripmo until I tried the mayhem.
    Last edited by zeppman; 6 Days Ago at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-spot1.jpg

Got mine today! 5* with x01 cassette upgrade. Got it pretty much ready to roll.

mtbr member
    The Mayhem continues to be the most popular bike on our Chasing Epic trips... here are a few shots from last weekend in Crested Butte:

FAT CHANCE!
    ....GREAT REVIEW.....

Are the Mayhemís now coming with the carbon upper link standard?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just joined the SPOT family, as a proud owner of a Large Mayhem. I got the 4* build, and originally ordered the upgrades to the DPX2 and Fox36. However, I worked with the guys when they were short on parts due to the Labor Day sale, and ended up getting my own fork (MRP Ribbon currently at 140mm) and they put on a Performance Elite DPX2 instead of the factory one. This actually keeps the entire bike blacked out, and looks great in my opinion. I also threw on a set of Enve M60/40 HVs that were on mega sale. I put Maxxis Rekon 2.4s front and back.
    The bike weighs in sub 30lbs.

I did quite a bit of research before settling on this bike. Rode quite a few bikes, and really felt like most of them were too much for the type of riding that I do. What comes down, must go up first... and I have never had a problem with descending. Yeti SB5.5 and the Santa Cruz Hightower LT both felt very sluggish to me climbing. I liked the Intense Primer quite a bit for climbing, but didn't think it handled the descents well. I am coming off of a Giant Trance X 29er (I know this was an ugly bike, but I had it blinged out with full XTR, Factory suspension, etc., and has truly been a great trail bike for me through the years) Anyway, I pulled the trigger on the Mayhem sight unseen based on reviews like this, so I figured I'd add my thoughts to the mix.

First impression: The bike felt weird. This is not uncommon based on other posts. The steep seat tube really makes the reach feel very short, or at least shorter than a bike with a slacker seat tube and same top tube length. I've been making micro adjustments such as sliding saddle back in the rails, dropped stem 5mm, etc., but honestly, now that I have a little over 100 miles on it, it feels really good. I think that first impression has as much to do with what you are used to, as it does the geometry of this bike.

Climbing: as everyone states, this thing climbs great. No question, getting out of the saddle and hammering on the pedals results in quick and direct power transfer. It is pretty awesome. I also have noticed that the front end stays very planted on steep climbs. I'm sure this has to do with the STA, but it really doesn't wander much at all. I am not, however, getting PRs on all of my climbs as others have stated. I am not sure if I am used to 175mm cranks, and this has 170mm cranks, but I am not a fast cadence climber, I'd rather push a bigger gear and get more out of each pedal stroke. Does anyone think 5mm crank length would really make that much difference?

Descending: It rolls downhill very nicely. This thing is not a bruiser, but much more of a carver. It likes to have fun, and is as playful a 29er as I have ridden. It initiates turns nicely, and now that I feel like I have the suspension dialed (mostly) it handles speed very well. No complaints here, but somehow still not hitting my PRs! I expect this will happen in due time, so I'm not going to stress over it! lol

Suspension: This is the tricky part. I have read countless posts about how hard it is to get the suspension dialed in, and I will agree it is a process. I really feel like the MRP ribbon up front is a great option for anyone looking at a new fork. I have made some minor adjustments, but overall it feels great using their recommended settings. Using the 85% of weight method on the rear as recommended, the shock was blowing through most of the travel without hitting any major jumps or bumps. I checked, and the shock already has the .6 volume spacer. I have the LSC at 2 clicks from open. I upped the pressure to 90% of weight, and it is still using most of the travel, but feels pretty good to me now. I also have the rebound set pretty slow. Maybe it doesn't matter how much travel it is using, as long as I am not bottoming out? I guess it boils down to what type of suspension you are after in a bike. I do not feel like this is a plush bike by any means as I have it set. It does smooth out chatter, and handles jumps nicely, but it does allow you to feel the trail. I personally think this is a good thing.

Other things: I took off the Vans grips, they are way to thin for my liking. I also upgraded the rear brake rotor to 180mm. I am not thrilled with the Guide R brakes, but they are growing on me. I am probably going to still play a little bit with bar height, stem length, stack, but I am having fun on the bike as is, and these things are becoming less of a priority as I get more used to the bike. Crank length is the only other thing I might toy with... eventually

Overall, I was happy with my experience with the SPOT guys, and I feel like they are putting out a great product. With the exception of a couple minor things, their spec (even with the 4* kit) is really a great value for the dollar. See SPOT post to MTBR. See SPOT ride!

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-spot-lilly-lake.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ebiagi View Post
    I just joined the SPOT family, as a proud owner of a Large Mayhem. I got the 4* build, and originally ordered the upgrades to the DPX2 and Fox36. However, I worked with the guys when they were short on parts due to the Labor Day sale, and ended up getting my own fork (MRP Ribbon currently at 140mm) and they put on a Performance Elite DPX2 instead of the factory one. This actually keeps the entire bike blacked out, and looks great in my opinion. I also threw on a set of Enve M60/40 HVs that were on mega sale. I put Maxxis Rekon 2.4s front and back.
    The bike weighs in sub 30lbs.

I did quite a bit of research before settling on this bike. Rode quite a few bikes, and really felt like most of them were too much for the type of riding that I do. What comes down, must go up first... and I have never had a problem with descending. Yeti SB5.5 and the Santa Cruz Hightower LT both felt very sluggish to me climbing. I liked the Intense Primer quite a bit for climbing, but didn't think it handled the descents well. I am coming off of a Giant Trance X 29er (I know this was an ugly bike, but I had it blinged out with full XTR, Factory suspension, etc., and has truly been a great trail bike for me through the years) Anyway, I pulled the trigger on the Mayhem sight unseen based on reviews like this, so I figured I'd add my thoughts to the mix.

First impression: The bike felt weird. This is not uncommon based on other posts. The steep seat tube really makes the reach feel very short, or at least shorter than a bike with a slacker seat tube and same top tube length. I've been making micro adjustments such as sliding saddle back in the rails, dropped stem 5mm, etc., but honestly, now that I have a little over 100 miles on it, it feels really good. I think that first impression has as much to do with what you are used to, as it does the geometry of this bike.

Climbing: as everyone states, this thing climbs great. No question, getting out of the saddle and hammering on the pedals results in quick and direct power transfer. It is pretty awesome. I also have noticed that the front end stays very planted on steep climbs. I'm sure this has to do with the STA, but it really doesn't wander much at all. I am not, however, getting PRs on all of my climbs as others have stated. I am not sure if I am used to 175mm cranks, and this has 170mm cranks, but I am not a fast cadence climber, I'd rather push a bigger gear and get more out of each pedal stroke. Does anyone think 5mm crank length would really make that much difference?

Descending: It rolls downhill very nicely. This thing is not a bruiser, but much more of a carver. It likes to have fun, and is as playful a 29er as I have ridden. It initiates turns nicely, and now that I feel like I have the suspension dialed (mostly) it handles speed very well. No complaints here, but somehow still not hitting my PRs! I expect this will happen in due time, so I'm not going to stress over it! lol

Suspension: This is the tricky part. I have read countless posts about how hard it is to get the suspension dialed in, and I will agree it is a process. I really feel like the MRP ribbon up front is a great option for anyone looking at a new fork. I have made some minor adjustments, but overall it feels great using their recommended settings. Using the 85% of weight method on the rear as recommended, the shock was blowing through most of the travel without hitting any major jumps or bumps. I checked, and the shock already has the .6 volume spacer. I have the LSC at 2 clicks from open. I upped the pressure to 90% of weight, and it is still using most of the travel, but feels pretty good to me now. I also have the rebound set pretty slow. Maybe it doesn't matter how much travel it is using, as long as I am not bottoming out? I guess it boils down to what type of suspension you are after in a bike. I do not feel like this is a plush bike by any means as I have it set. It does smooth out chatter, and handles jumps nicely, but it does allow you to feel the trail. I personally think this is a good thing.

Other things: I took off the Vans grips, they are way to thin for my liking. I also upgraded the rear brake rotor to 180mm. I am not thrilled with the Guide R brakes, but they are growing on me. I am probably going to still play a little bit with bar height, stem length, stack, but I am having fun on the bike as is, and these things are becoming less of a priority as I get more used to the bike. Crank length is the only other thing I might toy with... eventually

Overall, I was happy with my experience with the SPOT guys, and I feel like they are putting out a great product. With the exception of a couple minor things, their spec (even with the 4* kit) is really a great value for the dollar. See SPOT post to MTBR. See SPOT ride!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPOT at Lilly Lake.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	1217943
    Nice and complete write-up.

As far as setup of the bars and stem, that will figure itself out Iver time. It's a preference thing and a feel thing. Yes the STA feels strange at first, but it will subside. I would work to get comfortable with the saddle position first, then work on the front. These steep seat tube angles are really designed to help when climbing, but they aren't perfect for flat pedaling. You will find a setting somewhere in the middle. You know you have when you are settled in the seat and not moving much between inclines.

Sounds like you have the shock close. The suspension is digressive I think. Small bunp will be good. Pedal and mid will be firm and maybe feel harsher than you are used to. It is designed so you can hammer when pedaling, but does have some of the feedback over chattery stuff. Bigger hits will be plush. It's almost off feeling. I wouldn't overdo the pressure. Find the sump pump you like and adjust the deep compression with a spacer. The guys at Spot can help you.

Can't comment on your PR times....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Iím sure someone who is running a DPX2 will chime in, but pretty sure the 85% of weight is specific to the stock DPS shock. Seem to recall most are running the DPX with quite a bit more pressure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Iím sure someone who is running a DPX2 will chime in, but pretty sure the 85% of weight is specific to the stock DPS shock. Seem to recall most are running the DPX with quite a bit more pressure.
    Yes you are right. I forgot about that. I have the dpx2 and I think about 110% but don't exactly remember.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011