Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I may be going through Mayham with drawl with the sale, I have been demoing as many bikes as possible. I put a lot of time and effort into the Mayham and never felt 100% comfortable, maybe it's the steep seat tube I seem to like the more slacked out angle on the seat tube like my 2016 Fuel EX 9.9 with 27.5+ wheels and 2.8 tires. This is the longest I have ever kept a bike going on 3 years and I still love it. Wheel base is just right for me and I like the lighter bikes it's 25 now with wheels. Mayham was a really cool bike but I just didn't want to keep putting more money into it, Like new setback dropper I ordered from 9point8, I sent it back before I installed it and decided to sell.

So I took out the Switchblade med. 29er and 27.5+ large out it's a little to twitchy "29er" for me with high front end and low BB the 27.5+ felt like a boat with the wheels they had on it, The new trail 429 I just need a parking lot ride and I new not for me. If anyone going to do 27.5+ do it right with light wheels and light small knobs light tires you can really feel how fast they spin up. I love the Bontrager XR2 27.5x2.8 tires at 778g very grippie and durable.
    Then I just took out the Santa Cruz Hightower Large it had 150mm fox36 on front with 29er wheels, I like this bike and when I put my 27.5+ setup on it I like it even more!! Bike is heavy though at 31.5 lbs with good parts. Again seat tube angle way back like my Fuel. I have now a Yeti 4.5 med. I need a large. Bike is noisy and can only put small 2.3 tires on no 27.5+, I do like the rear suspension firm but plush. Going to get the New Yeti sb100 on Tuesday for demo, I did jump on a large in the parking lot and the bike felt really nice, the guy's from World Wide Cyclery were doing the 1st shake down ride and I was like is that the new Yeti SB100 they said yes!! They let me take a spin in the lot. Then the new Specialized 2019 Stump Jumper soon, Not my favorite company!!. Trying to get a new 2018 Trek Fuel EX with 140mm fork and new Fox DPX2 on rear to demo this is what some guys are running on this bike Kosmo is one of them!! If I did this that way I would have 2 killer bikes that feel similar but with the 2018 being much more capable to take anywhere, and I know I can build it at 26lbs. Taking my time because I can!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The Mayhem, and other steep seat tube bikes, can be strange feeling to those that have been used to slacker ST angles. Be careful with your crank length too. Knee position to pedal is reduced with the steep seat tube giving you a feeling and reality of being over the bottom bracket and knee forward to the pedals. This is really designed to give you proper position on inclines. If you ride shorter cranks, you may feel it more. I too moved my seat back. In fact went with Selle SMP because they have the longest saddle rails. I suggest finding the best saddle position first, then find the proper stem and bar combo. A few friends in mine have struggled with getting this correct. But they are a little hard headed and rooted in the past. Once setup well, you will adjust and likely enjoy the ride.

This isn't just a Mayhem issue, but any bike with a steep ST.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    The Mayhem, and other steep seat tube bikes, can be strange feeling to those that have been used to slacker ST angles. Be careful with your crank length too. Knee position to pedal is reduced with the steep seat tube giving you a feeling and reality of being over the bottom bracket and knee forward to the pedals. This is really designed to give you proper position on inclines. If you ride shorter cranks, you may feel it more. I too moved my seat back. In fact went with Selle SMP because they have the longest saddle rails. I suggest finding the best saddle position first, then find the proper stem and bar combo. A few friends in mine have struggled with getting this correct. But they are a little hard headed and rooted in the past. Once setup well, you will adjust and likely enjoy the ride.

This isn't just a Mayhem issue, but any bike with a steep ST.

That's all really good info, I was trying to find a saddle with longer rails! I think I'm not sold on all this new geo thing, but if I could have gotten the saddle back another 3/4 inch it may have been the trick. The bike did feel really long to me also, but a killer on the down's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Then I just took out the Santa Cruz Hightower Large it had 150mm fox36 on front with 29er wheels, I like this bike and when I put my 27.5+ setup on it I like it even more!!
    Did the demo at WCC go? I thought it was cancelled???

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It was cancelled, I found a shop that has a fleet of bikes to rent, specialized, Cannondale, Yeti and Santa Cruz. 125.00/week I you buy that money goes to the purchase!! JB Bike Shop in Shillington, PA

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It was cancelled, I found a shop that has a fleet of bikes to rent, specialized, Cannondale, Yeti and Santa Cruz. 125.00/week I you buy that money goes to the purchase!! JB Bike Shop in Shillington, PA
    Good shop and cool people.

mtbr member
    Well I sold my frame on EBay, these things definitely don't hold any resale value at all. Anyway it was a cool bike but not the right bike for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575 View Post
    I wonder if the DPx2 shock offered with the Rollik can be substituted? They both have the same 200X57 spec. Has anyone inquired or done this direct from Spot?
    Yes I just recently ordered a mayhem 29 and had them substitute the dpx2 on and they charged a reasonable $100 fee to do it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Well Im new to the forum, and I just got my large mayhem 29 5 star today. I had them put the dpx2 rear shock. I know ill be spending time trying to set up the suspension but wanted to ask all owners what kind of volume spacers in the fork and shock do you run on this frame? It probably varies Im sure but just curious of others setups, Im 170Lbs and hope I can get this thing dialed in.

RHRF!
    Quote Originally Posted by 35large View Post
    Well Im new to the forum, and I just got my large mayhem 29 5 star today. I had them put the dpx2 rear shock. I know ill be spending time trying to set up the suspension but wanted to ask all owners what kind of volume spacers in the fork and shock do you run on this frame? It probably varies Im sure but just curious of others setups, Im 170Lbs and hope I can get this thing dialed in.
    I bought the Fox Spacer kit but was told by Spot that the 'maximum' space the shock can handle is the 0.6 spacer. I'm 250+ w/full gear and I am very happy with the DPX2 performance.
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

MSH
    mtbr member
    Nice that you guys purchasing now are getting the DPX2 option! I wanted it when I purchased my frame earlier this year but wasn't an option. I just threw on a 2019 DPX2 that I purchased through Ethan at Flowzone/Maverick here in Denver. Based on my riding style he threw in a .6 spacer on my DPX2. I'm about 185-ish ready to ride. I ride pretty aggressively. It's been fantastic so far. No perceivable difference climbing vs the DPS Evol but definitely a bit more plush on hard hits and consistent on the longer descents here in CO. The bike was so good with the Evol but even better with the DPX2. I'm running it with a MRP Ribbon fork, so can't help much with set-up on the stock build Fox fork.

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    What do you guys think of the Mayhem versus the new Fugitive? Admittedly both bikes are probably overkill for the twisty, rooty terrain in my area, but Ive let technology blow way past me for long enough and both of these options are calling out to me. I am enough of a Luddite to see the aluminum Knolly as more advantageous but both bikes seem really appealing in their own ways. Any opinions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro View Post
    I bought the Fox Spacer kit but was told by Spot that the 'maximum' space the shock can handle is the 0.6 spacer. I'm 250+ w/full gear and I am very happy with the DPX2 performance.
    I have also bought the spacer kit, but looks like I wont be able to use any bigger spacers... I still feel that Im using too much travel in the rear on medium hits, where my sag is only 20-25% so Im not sure yet how to dial this rear end...On another note, I got the mayhem with a fox 36 fork set to 140mm from Spot and out of curiosity I popped open the top cap to check for volume spacers and sure enough Spot put 4 10cc spacers in the 36. Ill spend some time on this but so far removing 2 spacers leaving 2 still installed makes the initial stroke much stiffer so Im thinking they had it right for my weight etc. Has anyone used the Luftkappe air spring on a 2018 36 fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have also bought the spacer kit, but looks like I wont be able to use any bigger spacers... I still feel that Im using too much travel in the rear on medium hits, where my sag is only 20-25% so Im not sure yet how to dial this rear end...On another note, I got the mayhem with a fox 36 fork set to 140mm from Spot and out of curiosity I popped open the top cap to check for volume spacers and sure enough Spot put 4 10cc spacers in the 36. Ill spend some time on this but so far removing 2 spacers leaving 2 still installed makes the initial stroke much stiffer so Im thinking they had it right for my weight etc. Has anyone used the Luftkappe air spring on a 2018 36 fork?
    I installed the Luftkappe on my 18' Fox 36. Like a new fork. Great small bump sensitivity and nice mid stroke support. For around $80 its a no brainer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    I installed the Luftkappe on my 18' Fox 36. Like a new fork. Great small bump sensitivity and nice mid stroke support. For around $80 its a no brainer.
    Awesome, I will be making the order then thank you. Did you have to alter your volume spacer setup after install? Did your fork have this excessive grease packed in it that I have read about?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Awesome, I will be making the order then thank you. Did you have to alter your volume spacer setup after install? Did your fork have this excessive grease packed in it that I have read about?
    Before I installed the Luftkappe I was down to one spacer and pressure 10 psi below Fox recommended. (I'm about 185 dressed to ride and was at 65 psi) Fork still felt harsh and I almost never used all of the travel. With the Luftkappe I removed the last spacer (it takes up some volume in the positive chamber) and am running 75 psi. Fork is supple on the top but still ramps up well. I use full travel now, but only when I'd expect to. There was a lot of grease on the air shaft, but not as much as some I've seen here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Has anyone else tried 29 x 2.6 on the rear of their Mayhem? Have one on the way and really want to run 2.6 if possible. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
    Has anyone else tried 29 x 2.6 on the rear of their Mayhem? Have one on the way and really want to run 2.6 if possible. Thanks!

Looking at mine, width wouldn't be an issue, but diameter may be. Not too much clearance with end of chainstay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looking at mine, width wouldn't be an issue, but diameter may be. Not too much clearance with end of chainstay.

Thanks bogeydog. Youre talking in the front and lower link area? Might just stick with 2.4s to be safe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks bogeydog. Youre talking in the front and lower link area? Might just stick with 2.4s to be safe.

Yes

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have the Rekon's @2.6". It's tight on the rear, but works. I have ridden them for a month or so.Here's my post from a page back in the thread.

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rvbiker View Post
    I have the Rekon's @2.6". It's tight on the rear, but works. I have ridden them for a month or so.Here's my post from a page back in the thread.

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29
    Thanks rvbiker. Yours was the one I saw before. Nice looking rig!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Got my Mayhem used a few weeks ago and did a complete tear down and rebuild. Finally got a few short rides in on it. This thing pedals as well or better than any full suspension bike I have ridden, regardless of travel. Bike came with some pretty heavy and narrow tires. Looks a little tight in the rear, will a true 2.35/2.4 fit back there with enough clearance?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Got my Mayhem used a few weeks ago and did a complete tear down and rebuild. Finally got a few short rides in on it. This thing pedals as well or better than any full suspension bike I have ridden, regardless of travel. Bike came with some pretty heavy and narrow tires. Looks a little tight in the rear, will a true 2.35/2.4 fit back there with enough clearance?

Yeah. I have had 2.35 Nobby Nice, Rekon and Vittoria Barzo and Mezcal

dmo
    mtbr member
    Just mounted some Mezcal 2.6s. Even with stretching i think there will be enough room

mtbr member
    Yep, plenty of room.... I rode all spring with a 2.6" Nobby Nic back there, no issues. Have fun on the new Mayhem, it's a hell of a bike.

For anyone interested, I wrote a review on my website and posted it last week:

Bike Review: Spot Mayhem 509 29er – Chasing Epic Mountain Bike Adventures

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

MAYhem 509

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-80eb4656-d2c4-4106-9c31-e1e9755daea8.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]
    Got my mayhem 9 days ago.SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-7b137c2d-4788-4f8a-b8ee-79133538e9e6.jpg
    I now have 10 rides on the mayhem
    the bike is awesome, braking prs on climbs and descents every ride without trying.
    Best climbing 29 I have been on. ( I have owned tall boy, tall boy Lt, carbon horse thief, 429 trail, Django 29)
    Decends great also have 34 set at 140( did have my pike at 140 on it, but stear tube to short)
    Frame only build mostly xt, flow mk3, magic Mary and dhf
    Dont know weight but my guess 30-31
    Rear shock is picky to correct pressure and rebound to get it set up properly
    If you like climbing and descending this is a great bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You guys are killing me with these ride reports! I'm saving to buy one but it will be another month or so before I make the purchase.

I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam...sounds like medium should be my size? I'm debating 29 vs. 27.5+. I'm currently riding a 27.5+ FS bike.

mtbr member
    Yep, definitely the medium....and go 29er. I don't know anyone that prefers the 27.5+, but I guess it depends on where you're riding it and how you ride. The 29er with a 2.5 or 2.6" up front is all the traction you'll ever need.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I started out with 27.5+ because i had a wheelset that size. I later got a 29er wheelset and much prefer it. It rolls fast and has planty of grip.

I you want a set of 27.5 kings laced to nextie carbons let me know

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What weight is the medium coming in at with carbon wheels and carbon bars?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Yep, plenty of room.... I rode all spring with a 2.6" Nobby Nic back there, no issues. Have fun on the new Mayhem, it's a hell of a bike.

For anyone interested, I wrote a review on my website and posted it last week:

Bike Review: Spot Mayhem 509 29er – Chasing Epic Mountain Bike Adventures
    Any chance you have a few pictures of the clearance with the 2.6 Nic on the back? I'm in AZ and rarely if ever ride in the wet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    You guys are killing me with these ride reports! I'm saving to buy one but it will be another month or so before I make the purchase.

I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam...sounds like medium should be my size? I'm debating 29 vs. 27.5+. I'm currently riding a 27.5+ FS bike.
    I would also agree with Smmokan on this. I had 27.5+ on my mojo 3 and just couldn't get along with it. On the flip side i have a Trek Stache 9.6 that is 29+ with a 3.0 tire and it is hands down one of the most fun bike I have ever ridden. My vote goes to 29 Mayhem.

MSH
    mtbr member
    I would also agree with Smmokan on this. I had 27.5+ on my mojo 3 and just couldn't get along with it. On the flip side i have a Trek Stache 9.6 that is 29+ with a 3.0 tire and it is hands down one of the most fun bike I have ever ridden. My vote goes to 29 Mayhem.
    yup agreed....29 - I tried 27.5+ on old HD3 and hated it. I felt it was way too floaty/vague/muted vs 2.3-2.5 tires. I like to ride hard and aggressive on DH and I just like the sharper handling/feel of 2.3-2.5 tires. The Strava "clock" backed up I'm faster on the narrower tires as well. I'm on Front Range in CO, so big, fast descents, lots o' chunk/rock bashing, etc

Like JasonL I have a 29+ wheelset running 3's for a Kona Wozo fatbike for Spring/Summer/Fall riding and it's awesome. I'm not as fast on it vs my full boinger bikes but so much fun. I probably grab it for 1 out of every 5 rides during the non-Winter months.
    29+ and hardtail just works for me.
    + tires and full suspension did not work for me.

Back to Mayhem and Smmokan's review, I couldn't agree more with this statement...."Its the best bike Ive ridden FOR MY STYLE of riding, which is mostly trail riding in the Colorado high country"
    For me the Mayhem was a replacement for a OG Ibis Ripley that was an incredibly fun,efficient bike that I had set up with a -1 Works angleset, Pike 130. The OG Ripley was a great climbing bike and a very capable DHer for vast majority of stuff I ride on FR. The Mayhem takes that bike to the next level. Better climber by a slim margin IMO vs the Ripley, but another level going back down.
    As a side note...I did replace the stock EVOL shock with a 2019 DPX2 and I run a MRP Ribbon Air 140 up front. For an "allrounder" this bike is pretty incredible. I'm a mediocre climber but fairly fast, aggressive descender. I've busted down a ton of DH PR's on this bike since I built it up earlier this year. Although more of a DH charger on paper my Hightower longshocked with a X2 and 160 Lyrik is just not as fast and efficient for my style of riding on typical Front Range terrain vs the Mayhem.(once again backed up by Strava times)
    The Hightower is definitely more plush on the DH and will handle the burliest sections of trail better vs the Mayhem. The Mayhem is more firm and efficient and for me I'm able to make up any time gaps in those really burly sections vs the Hightower over the remaining 85-90% of the trail.
    For those of you familiar with Crested Butte riding I was able to hit Teocalli Ridge yesterday and Doctors Park (today) for the first time on the Mayhem. It was my first go at Teocalli but Ive ridden Doctors multiple times on different bikes. Doctors is definitely more technical and steep vs Teocalli and the Mayhem took everything the DH throws at you and it helped me chalk up yet another PR. I really can't say enough about this bike and what the guys at Spot have done. Their customer service (next to maybe Ibis) is also the best I have experienced in my many yrs of mtb.

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-mayhem-doctors.jpg

mtbr member
    If you're in the market for a mayhem, today looks like a good day to do it. $1000 off the 6 star build and free shipping. The 6 star build has enve wheels. Still a $6k rig, but totally decked out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkz4MS2BDWE/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yep great bike, love mine. One thing no one mentions, this has got to be the quietest bike I've ever owned. I've got around 600 miles on mine and not so much as a squeak so far.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    ......One thing no one mentions, this has got to be the quietest bike I've ever owned. I've got around 600 miles on mine and not so much as a squeak so far.
    good call out. Same for me on the Mayhem. My OG Ripley was absolutely the noisiest FS bike I have ever owned. That thing was a creak machine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Ill throw out a vote for the 27.5+ on behalf of my wife since no-one else has. She loves the bigger tires, and feels like it gives her more confidence on off-camber and rocky sections as an intermediate rider. I bought 29er wheels to switch out but they are collecting dust in my garage since I bought the Rollik for myself. She feels like 29 is harder to maneuver and not as fun. Ill admit, I did a ride on the plus tires and had a pretty good time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have owned the Mayhem since it was released in April 2017. Had 27.5 plus and 29er wheels. Settled in 29 as I prefer the sharpness and accuracy of the 29.

In regards to the Maybe, it excels in all regards. It is the best all aroundwr out there. Anyone that knows me, knows I have owned a lot of bikes and am one to buy a new one every 6 months or so. Fortunately I can't find anything I would buy. Not that one may be better in one discipline, but I haven't found a better one that can do it all. I ride anything from smooth xc single track to super rocky and rooty single track. We don't have huge jumps nor more that 24" drops.

I have said over and over.....shock setup, saddle and cockpit setup are key. It's fickle and if you don't have patience, find some. I have a dpx2 custom shock. That was big.

Many have commented that the living link can he firm or harsh on chattery stuff. Yes but it should be due to the suspension. It's different than you are used to but that is why it pedals and climbs well. Small bumps and deep suspension events are plush.

Paul at Spot is top notch.

mtbr member
    Paul at Spot is top notch.
    Paul is a total hack... kidding, he absolutely rips on the bike. Dude knows what he's talking about when it comes to the Spot lineup, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Do you guys that climb with this bike find yourself less fatigued after a climb vs. previous bikes you have owned?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Do you guys that climb with this bike find yourself less fatigued after a climb vs. previous bikes you have owned?
    Not really. Climbing is hard. I am a bit faster for the effort on the Mayhem vs other bikes I've owned...but just a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    so far every 29er i have tried, including Mayhem, i was slower and took more effort to climb than my 650b bike. especially steeper trails. faster on downhills, flats, slightly inclined or rolling terrain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm in...finally. There were so many bikes I wanted to test ride (Knolly Fugitive, GG Trail Pistol, Bashee Prime...), but availability in Maine is so limited. The Mayhem was at the top of my list from the start and I just kept coming back to it.

Paul and I worked out a killer deal around the July 4th Special and I couldn't be happier with what we came up with;

Large red Mayhem, Five Star build with DPX2 upgrade and 140mm airspring option, 175mm cranks. Should have in a couple of weeks.

I know a few of you are still dialing in the DPX2 shock. I'm 210 ready to ride. Appreciate anyone sharing their successful setups.

MSH
    mtbr member
    I'm in...finally. There were so many bikes I wanted to test ride (Knolly Fugitive, GG Trail Pistol, Bashee Prime...), but availability in Maine is so limited. The Mayhem was at the top of my list from the start and I just kept coming back to it.

Paul and I worked out a killer deal around the July 4th Special and I couldn't be happier with what we came up with;

Large red Mayhem, Five Star build with DPX2 upgrade and 140mm airspring option, 175mm cranks. Should have in a couple of weeks.

I know a few of you are still dialing in the DPX2 shock. I'm 210 ready to ride. Appreciate anyone sharing their successful setups.
    Congrats! Sounds sweet.
    On the DPX2 I'm running psi pretty close to my ready to ride weight of 185. That gives me roughly 27-28% sag. I think Ethan at Maverick threw in a .6 spacer on mine when he installed but need to double check that (he might have modified to a .5 but that could have been for the stock EVOL I had on previously). Fairly aggressive riding style focused more on DH end of equation vs climbing. I think the Living link suspension design requires slightly more rebound damping than Fox would recommend for a given PSI, so keep that in mind when you are setting things up. In my case, Fox recommends starting with 10 clicks from closed for 180-200psi and I'm at 7-8 clicks from closed.

Living the Dream
    Tell me more about this 140mm air spring option. Is this a 140mm rear shock option and if so, what are the geo numbers for it? Thanks!
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    Tell me more about this 140mm air spring option. Is this a 140mm rear shock option and if so, what are the geo numbers for it? Thanks!
    I believe he was referring to the 140mm air shaft in the fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    its a fork air spring

Living the Dream
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    its a fork air spring
    Makes sense. I guess I was so used to seeing 140mm forks on the mayhem, that I forgot that 130mm was the standard fork size.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Right.
    According to Paul, raises the BB 6mm, which was music to my ears. I don't know how many bikes I crossed off my list because of a low BB. I had a Pivot 429 (one model back from the newest version) for a weekend and really liked it except for the constant pedal strikes. For ME, a 13" BB doesn't make sense for the terrain I ride on most.

Again, have to give a big shout out to Paul @ Spot. I was cleaning out my in box yesterday and there had to of been well over a dozen emails he thoughtfully replied to. Spot definitely earned my business.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Would any of you guys use the Mayhem as a trail/ endurance bike? I read how well it pedals. Would you guys use it in 50 mile races?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Absolutely! I purchased by Mayhem as a quiver killer to include 12 hour races. My XL 6 star build with the Enves and wout pedals is 27.27 pds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Damn, wish I took advantage of the 4th of July deal ..... it put the 6-star with Enve's within reach, or as close to in-reach as I am going to get

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by montananate View Post
    Damn, wish I took advantage of the 4th of July deal ..... it put the 6-star with Enve's within reach, or as close to in-reach as I am going to get
    Give them a call, they might be willing to work with you. Solid folks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Would any of you guys use the Mayhem as a trail/ endurance bike? I read how well it pedals. Would you guys use it in 50 mile races?
    Sure. Plenty of anti-squat, though the frame is a bit heavy. Weight matters, but so does rolling resistance and fatigue reduction, both of which usually get dismissed.

I just got back from a brutal 50 mile race called Suntop near Crystal Mountain Ski Resort in Washington. 50 miles and 10,000 feet of climbing.

The winner, who admittedly is a ripping ex-pro tuning uo for a shot at Breck Epic, rode an Orbea Railon. Nuff said, IMO.
    Last edited by kosmo; 6 Days Ago at 04:51 PM.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That is very interesting

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    i dont see why not. The bike really does pedal amazingly well. Legit like climbing with a hardtail. If you wan a 22lb bike then get a xc bike. If you want a trail bike that can pedal like an xc bike the mayhem is pretty much it. But like said before its not for weight weenies. dunno if you are gonna get it under 27lbs. But also said in the previous post...doesnt matter a whole lot,just train hard and lose a cpl lbs of fat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This is what I just got to replace my Mayham if anyone is interested, as far companies are concerned no comparison Spot all the way!! The Yeti SB100 is the perfect endurance/trail bike for me 24.67 with pedals as shown without dropper post, still waiting for OneUP dropper to arrive. Will be 25.5 with dropper post. Definitely more efficient then the Mayham, but the problem I had with the Mayham was fit, for me too steep seat tube angle but a great bike. My large frame was 7.2 lbs and the Yeti large 5.8lbs. Need more time on the Yeti + dropper post. Yeti is a very capable bike with the pike at 130mm, 100mm rear is plush but very progressive further in travel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29-p1070990.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    DGW (or anyone), can you compare how the Mayhem performs (not the fit) compared to the 4.5c? (If I missed it earlier I apologize). I rode the 4.5c this weekend and was amazed at how well it climbed compared to other bikes in its class.

Everyone raves about the Mayhem's climbing, but then Smmokan's review compares the Mayhem to a Hightower (which definitely doesn't pedal as well as the 4.5c).

And the one bike Smmokan says he can't compare it to is the 4.5. Note: not criticizing...more using his review as a reference point b/c he has more time on the Mayhem than probably anyone.

mtbr member

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

FWIW, I said the HT was the closest bike I liked overall to the Mayhem... I do think the Mayhem clearly pedals/climbs better though.

If someone wants to send me a 4.5C, Id be more than happy to make the comparison.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    DGW (or anyone), can you compare how the Mayhem performs (not the fit) compared to the 4.5c? (If I missed it earlier I apologize). I rode the 4.5c this weekend and was amazed at how well it climbed compared to other bikes in its class.

Everyone raves about the Mayhem's climbing, but then Smmokan's review compares the Mayhem to a Hightower (which definitely doesn't pedal as well as the 4.5c).

And the one bike Smmokan says he can't compare it to is the 4.5. Note: not criticizing...more using his review as a reference point b/c he has more time on the Mayhem than probably anyone.
    4.5c is probably a good bike but personally, anything with extra double shock like contraption, i steer away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    FWIW, I said the HT was the closest bike I liked overall to the Mayhem... I do think the Mayhem clearly pedals/climbs better though.

If someone wants to send me a 4.5C, Id be more than happy to make the comparison.
    I gotcha...like I wrote: not criticizing; just using your review as I think it's probably the most extensive and informed reference point.

I'm just trying to find the "unicorn" for the riding I do...and so far, the 4.5 is pretty rainbowey!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    This is what I just got to replace my Mayham if anyone is interested, as far companies are concerned no comparison Spot all the way!! The Yeti SB100 is the perfect endurance/trail bike for me 24.67 with pedals as shown without dropper post, still waiting for OneUP dropper to arrive. Will be 25.5 with dropper post. Definitely more efficient then the Mayham, but the problem I had with the Mayham was fit, for me too steep seat tube angle but a great bike. My large frame was 7.2 lbs and the Yeti large 5.8lbs. Need more time on the Yeti + dropper post. Yeti is a very capable bike with the pike at 130mm, 100mm rear is plush but very progressive further in travel.
    Nice looking bike.

But how is it more efficient than the Mayhem?

100 mm rear suspension wouldn't work for me. Wonder why Yeti didn't make it 120mm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    100 mm rear suspension wouldn't work for me. Wonder why Yeti didn't make it 120mm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    B/c they already have the 4.5.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    B/c they already have the 4.5.
    Yes. And no place to mount the bottle.

Notice how the mount for a bottle cage is the highlight in this review...

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/first-ride-yeti-sb100/

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910