Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I may be going through Mayham with drawl with the sale, I have been demoing as many bikes as possible. I put a lot of time and effort into the Mayham and never felt 100% comfortable, maybe it's the steep seat tube I seem to like the more slacked out angle on the seat tube like my 2016 Fuel EX 9.9 with 27.5+ wheels and 2.8 tires. This is the longest I have ever kept a bike going on 3 years and I still love it. Wheel base is just right for me and I like the lighter bikes it's 25 now with wheels. Mayham was a really cool bike but I just didn't want to keep putting more money into it, Like new setback dropper I ordered from 9point8, I sent it back before I installed it and decided to sell.

So I took out the Switchblade med. 29er and 27.5+ large out it's a little to twitchy "29er" for me with high front end and low BB the 27.5+ felt like a boat with the wheels they had on it, The new trail 429 I just need a parking lot ride and I new not for me. If anyone going to do 27.5+ do it right with light wheels and light small knobs light tires you can really feel how fast they spin up. I love the Bontrager XR2 27.5x2.8 tires at 778g very grippie and durable.
    Then I just took out the Santa Cruz Hightower Large it had 150mm fox36 on front with 29er wheels, I like this bike and when I put my 27.5+ setup on it I like it even more!! Bike is heavy though at 31.5 lbs with good parts. Again seat tube angle way back like my Fuel. I have now a Yeti 4.5 med. I need a large. Bike is noisy and can only put small 2.3 tires on no 27.5+, I do like the rear suspension firm but plush. Going to get the New Yeti sb100 on Tuesday for demo, I did jump on a large in the parking lot and the bike felt really nice, the guy's from World Wide Cyclery were doing the 1st shake down ride and I was like is that the new Yeti SB100 they said yes!! They let me take a spin in the lot. Then the new Specialized 2019 Stump Jumper soon, Not my favorite company!!. Trying to get a new 2018 Trek Fuel EX with 140mm fork and new Fox DPX2 on rear to demo this is what some guys are running on this bike Kosmo is one of them!! If I did this that way I would have 2 killer bikes that feel similar but with the 2018 being much more capable to take anywhere, and I know I can build it at 26lbs. Taking my time because I can!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The Mayhem, and other steep seat tube bikes, can be strange feeling to those that have been used to slacker ST angles. Be careful with your crank length too. Knee position to pedal is reduced with the steep seat tube giving you a feeling and reality of being over the bottom bracket and knee forward to the pedals. This is really designed to give you proper position on inclines. If you ride shorter cranks, you may feel it more. I too moved my seat back. In fact went with Selle SMP because they have the longest saddle rails. I suggest finding the best saddle position first, then find the proper stem and bar combo. A few friends in mine have struggled with getting this correct. But they are a little hard headed and rooted in the past. Once setup well, you will adjust and likely enjoy the ride.

This isn't just a Mayhem issue, but any bike with a steep ST.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    The Mayhem, and other steep seat tube bikes, can be strange feeling to those that have been used to slacker ST angles. Be careful with your crank length too. Knee position to pedal is reduced with the steep seat tube giving you a feeling and reality of being over the bottom bracket and knee forward to the pedals. This is really designed to give you proper position on inclines. If you ride shorter cranks, you may feel it more. I too moved my seat back. In fact went with Selle SMP because they have the longest saddle rails. I suggest finding the best saddle position first, then find the proper stem and bar combo. A few friends in mine have struggled with getting this correct. But they are a little hard headed and rooted in the past. Once setup well, you will adjust and likely enjoy the ride.

This isn't just a Mayhem issue, but any bike with a steep ST.

That's all really good info, I was trying to find a saddle with longer rails! I think I'm not sold on all this new geo thing, but if I could have gotten the saddle back another 3/4 inch it may have been the trick. The bike did feel really long to me also, but a killer on the down's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Then I just took out the Santa Cruz Hightower Large it had 150mm fox36 on front with 29er wheels, I like this bike and when I put my 27.5+ setup on it I like it even more!!
    Did the demo at WCC go? I thought it was cancelled???

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It was cancelled, I found a shop that has a fleet of bikes to rent, specialized, Cannondale, Yeti and Santa Cruz. 125.00/week I you buy that money goes to the purchase!! JB Bike Shop in Shillington, PA

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    It was cancelled, I found a shop that has a fleet of bikes to rent, specialized, Cannondale, Yeti and Santa Cruz. 125.00/week I you buy that money goes to the purchase!! JB Bike Shop in Shillington, PA
    Good shop and cool people.

mtbr member
    Well I sold my frame on EBay, these things definitely don't hold any resale value at all. Anyway it was a cool bike but not the right bike for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575 View Post
    I wonder if the DPx2 shock offered with the Rollik can be substituted? They both have the same 200X57 spec. Has anyone inquired or done this direct from Spot?
    Yes I just recently ordered a mayhem 29 and had them substitute the dpx2 on and they charged a reasonable $100 fee to do it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Well Im new to the forum, and I just got my large mayhem 29 5 star today. I had them put the dpx2 rear shock. I know ill be spending time trying to set up the suspension but wanted to ask all owners what kind of volume spacers in the fork and shock do you run on this frame? It probably varies Im sure but just curious of others setups, Im 170Lbs and hope I can get this thing dialed in.

RHRF!
    Quote Originally Posted by 35large View Post
    Well Im new to the forum, and I just got my large mayhem 29 5 star today. I had them put the dpx2 rear shock. I know ill be spending time trying to set up the suspension but wanted to ask all owners what kind of volume spacers in the fork and shock do you run on this frame? It probably varies Im sure but just curious of others setups, Im 170Lbs and hope I can get this thing dialed in.
    I bought the Fox Spacer kit but was told by Spot that the 'maximum' space the shock can handle is the 0.6 spacer. I'm 250+ w/full gear and I am very happy with the DPX2 performance.
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Ana√Įs Nin)

MSH
    mtbr member
    Nice that you guys purchasing now are getting the DPX2 option! I wanted it when I purchased my frame earlier this year but wasn't an option. I just threw on a 2019 DPX2 that I purchased through Ethan at Flowzone/Maverick here in Denver. Based on my riding style he threw in a .6 spacer on my DPX2. I'm about 185-ish ready to ride. I ride pretty aggressively. It's been fantastic so far. No perceivable difference climbing vs the DPS Evol but definitely a bit more plush on hard hits and consistent on the longer descents here in CO. The bike was so good with the Evol but even better with the DPX2. I'm running it with a MRP Ribbon fork, so can't help much with set-up on the stock build Fox fork.

C88
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    What do you guys think of the Mayhem versus the new Fugitive? Admittedly both bikes are probably overkill for the twisty, rooty terrain in my area, but Iíve let technology blow way past me for long enough and both of these options are calling out to me. I am enough of a Luddite to see the aluminum Knolly as more advantageous but both bikes seem really appealing in their own ways. Any opinions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro View Post
    I bought the Fox Spacer kit but was told by Spot that the 'maximum' space the shock can handle is the 0.6 spacer. I'm 250+ w/full gear and I am very happy with the DPX2 performance.
    I have also bought the spacer kit, but looks like I wont be able to use any bigger spacers... I still feel that Im using too much travel in the rear on medium hits, where my sag is only 20-25% so Im not sure yet how to dial this rear end...On another note, I got the mayhem with a fox 36 fork set to 140mm from Spot and out of curiosity I popped open the top cap to check for volume spacers and sure enough Spot put 4 10cc spacers in the 36. Ill spend some time on this but so far removing 2 spacers leaving 2 still installed makes the initial stroke much stiffer so Im thinking they had it right for my weight etc. Has anyone used the Luftkappe air spring on a 2018 36 fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have also bought the spacer kit, but looks like I wont be able to use any bigger spacers... I still feel that Im using too much travel in the rear on medium hits, where my sag is only 20-25% so Im not sure yet how to dial this rear end...On another note, I got the mayhem with a fox 36 fork set to 140mm from Spot and out of curiosity I popped open the top cap to check for volume spacers and sure enough Spot put 4 10cc spacers in the 36. Ill spend some time on this but so far removing 2 spacers leaving 2 still installed makes the initial stroke much stiffer so Im thinking they had it right for my weight etc. Has anyone used the Luftkappe air spring on a 2018 36 fork?
    I installed the Luftkappe on my 18' Fox 36. Like a new fork. Great small bump sensitivity and nice mid stroke support. For around $80 its a no brainer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    I installed the Luftkappe on my 18' Fox 36. Like a new fork. Great small bump sensitivity and nice mid stroke support. For around $80 its a no brainer.
    Awesome, I will be making the order then thank you. Did you have to alter your volume spacer setup after install? Did your fork have this excessive grease packed in it that I have read about?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Awesome, I will be making the order then thank you. Did you have to alter your volume spacer setup after install? Did your fork have this excessive grease packed in it that I have read about?
    Before I installed the Luftkappe I was down to one spacer and pressure 10 psi below Fox recommended. (I'm about 185 dressed to ride and was at 65 psi) Fork still felt harsh and I almost never used all of the travel. With the Luftkappe I removed the last spacer (it takes up some volume in the positive chamber) and am running 75 psi. Fork is supple on the top but still ramps up well. I use full travel now, but only when I'd expect to. There was a lot of grease on the air shaft, but not as much as some I've seen here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Has anyone else tried 29 x 2.6 on the rear of their Mayhem? Have one on the way and really want to run 2.6 if possible. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonL View Post
    Has anyone else tried 29 x 2.6 on the rear of their Mayhem? Have one on the way and really want to run 2.6 if possible. Thanks!

Looking at mine, width wouldn't be an issue, but diameter may be. Not too much clearance with end of chainstay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Looking at mine, width wouldn't be an issue, but diameter may be. Not too much clearance with end of chainstay.

Thanks bogeydog. Youíre talking in the front and lower link area? Might just stick with 2.4s to be safe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks bogeydog. Youíre talking in the front and lower link area? Might just stick with 2.4s to be safe.

Yes

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have the Rekon's @2.6". It's tight on the rear, but works. I have ridden them for a month or so.Here's my post from a page back in the thread.

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rvbiker View Post
    I have the Rekon's @2.6". It's tight on the rear, but works. I have ridden them for a month or so.Here's my post from a page back in the thread.

SPOT Brand MAYHEM 29
    Thanks rvbiker. Yours was the one I saw before. Nice looking rig!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910