Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012

Speedgoat Bicycles Trustworthy?

Hey,

Anyone ever ordered off Speedgoat Bicycles | Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, Frames, Apparel, Road Bike and Mountain Bike Components, Cycling Accessories, Product Reviews

I just went on there site and found a Santa Cruz Superlight 29 D XC (2012) for $1569, only got my size left XL. I see a lot of Santa Cruz on this forum so I know there good, but this bike appears to be a lower end model they make. Only has the Rockshock recon fork, elixir 1's and deore components.

What I find odd is if you go on to the Santa Cruz site, the components are not the same, example on the manufacturer's site it says this bike has SRAM X5/X7???? Whats up with that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Speedgoat is absolutely trustworthy, and is one of the few successful internet retailers that has (at least had, I haven't looked into it in a while) a B&M store behind it.

Regarding the component spec, SC has the 2013 specs listed on its site I bet, you bought a 2012 which came with a Shimano drivetrain. Great bike at a great price....enjoy!
    Voodoo Canzo 29er (sporting a Lefty) + Raleigh XXIX SS + Traitor Crusade SSCX + Lapierre Xelius XDJ

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Didn't pull the trigger yet.

Thought a SC was not really what I wanted due to the price point. But this seems to be not a bad deal. Although I have just read some reviews claiming its an old (outdated) frame style.

I think I still might be able to find a HT with better components for that price, maybe.......

AOK
    mtbr member
    Speedgoat is trustworthy. Been using them for years.

I am not sure about them being backed up by a brick & mortar business any more. The original owners sold out to another retailer when Speedgoat moved from PA to Chicago. (There are threads on this if you want to search these forums).

Still, no reason not to trust them.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Sometimes they spec frames with their part selection.

mtbr member
    Definitely trust worthy. And they are local to me.

Although I've bought a few bits and pieces from them, nothing major like a frame or fork though since they are local and I'm hit with a nice 10% tax.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I ordered a complete bike from them once and they were pretty easy to deal with. I wanted the steerer tube to be cut as long as possible so I could fine tune it later. They did just as I asked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nothing but good news for me from Speedgoat, both the older Pittsburgh location and the new location. I have purchased lots of parts and at least two frames from them.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    I like my 2013 superlight 29 and that is a good price as it was about $1900.00 in 2012 and i paid almost $2500.00 for my rxc (higher grade components) Its really a good bike if your not a racer!
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

two wheel whore
    Bought my BMC from them, and recommended two guys to them. No issues. Their rep answered every question I had, I went in thinking I'd get the Superlight 29 R spec, ended up with the SF29. I asked them to flip the brake levers since I ride motorcycles, bike came in as requested.

mtbr member
    I had a GREAT experience w Speedgoat and highly recommend them...

There's always next year.
    Agreed with all of the above--ordered all sorts of things from them, and always been treated well. They've gone above and beyond on multiple orders. Last major order was a Tracer29 frame when they were clearing out Intense stock, and they were great with that as well.

mtbr member
    I've only ordered parts from SG - never a whole bike, but everything came as ordered without any drama.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
    Bought my BMC from them, and recommended two guys to them. No issues. Their rep answered every question I had, I went in thinking I'd get the Superlight 29 R spec, ended up with the SF29. I asked them to flip the brake levers since I ride motorcycles, bike came in as requested.
    I never heard of BMC before. But I did notice they were selling them. How do you like the bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGK View Post

What I find odd is if you go on to the Santa Cruz site, the components are not the same, example on the manufacturer's site it says this bike has SRAM X5/X7???? Whats up with that?
    SC recently switched to SRAM drivetrain and raised the MSRP of the DXC kit. Note, SC doesn't really do model years like trek and other brands, they just tweak their packages from time to time and may keep the same paint job. In my opinion you got the better drivetrain with a SLX shadow rear and Deore 590 crankset with external bearings. The 2013 dxc kit does have tlr wheels which is a plus, if you plan on keeping the stock wheels.

Recon fork is solid, about .75 lbs heavier than a Reba single air. It is heavier due to steal tubes, but also more durable(harder to score the tubes). There is at least one guy on mtbr that claims his LBS was able to remove a spacer to make his Recon 120mm (on 2012 SC DXC kit bike). At some point in the last year Rockshox switched from 80/100/120 forks for Rebas (and possibly Recons) to 80/100mm, so there is no guarantee that it can be converted. I will check mine when it is time to service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I like speedgoat. I've been in their store a few times. Decent sized warehouse. Friendly staff who like to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Speedgoat has always taken care of me - definitely can trust them

two wheel whore
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGK View Post
    I never heard of BMC before. But I did notice they were selling them. How do you like the bike?
    Awesome bike. There's a BMC subforum on this site, come check it out.

mtbr member
    I see you've gotten plenty of responses but because they've been so good for me in the past.... Speedgoat has always been awesome for me. Found some good deals and never had a problem with anything.

mtbr member
    Generally trustworthy, but honestly I liked them better before the move to Chicago.

Then, they were always responsive, quick, and generally helpful. Now, still an OK shop, but not as good as they once were. Example -- just made what will probably be my last order with them for a while in Sept. They claimed everything would ship in 6 - 8 days, took 4 weeks to ship. Apparently "delays" associated with my Enve bar and Chris King headset. No offers to break the order into 2 shipments, upgrade shipping, or anything, even with me checking weekly once they reached the 10 day mark.
    Quiring KVA MS2 Stainless 29er SS
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | GHORBA | IMBA NMBP

burnedthetoast
    Oct 2009
    I ordered a Niner EMD9 from them earlier this year. Their customer service is AWESOME - I emailed them to see if I could get one part swapped off their regular build, and I ended up getting a whole different build, with better components, for less money than the standard build (and that was already a great deal)! Doing that involved something like 19 emails back and forth... over only 3 days I think. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. See the details here: Daddy Rides Bikes: New Bike!
    Ride to Work, Work to Live, Live to Ride
    Blog: Daddy Rides Bikes