SJR
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Sizing

Torn between the a M or L. The large has an effective top tube length of 24.5", which seems really long for someone of my height. The mediums effective top length is 23.5". In the past I've generally looked for medium bikes with around a 23.5" top tube.

One concern I have is the relatively short seat tube on the medium, 17" (C to T) vs 18.5" on the large. I am afraid I may have a lot seatpost exposed on the medium.

For reference I am 5'10.5" with a 31.5" inseam (which usually puts me right between medium and large). Bike will be used for general trail riding. Current 26" wheeled bike has a 23.25" top tube with a 70mm stem (although I will probably be switching back to a 90mm soon).

Thanks

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm 6'2" and the Large is perfect for me with a 50mm stem. At your height I'd certainly go medium.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Have you tried riding them?

SJR
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    Have you tried riding them?
    Briefly in a parking lot. I haven't had a chance to take one out on a trail though. The large felt a little too big, but its really hard to tell in a parking lot with the oem stem, bars, etc.

Who turned out the lights
    I would buy based on top tube length, and buy a Thomson seatpost if you feel you have a lot sticking out. I think the medium is going to fit you better. It sounds like you have longish lets and shorter torso. I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam and the large fits me perfect with a 90mm stem. I have a longish torso and pretty long arms.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ^^
    IMHO I'd rather have more seatpost then stem as it has less effect on the handling.

turtles make me hot
    It sounds to me like you need a medium.
    I like turtles

usually cranky
    6' on a large with a 60mm stem and 710mm bar. feels great.

mtbr member
    if this is any help, test rode the stumpjumper this weekend

Im 6'2" and usually ride 21" frames, but the stumpjumper has a longer wheelbase, so whereas on the trek's sizing I would fit somewhere between the 19 and 21, but slightly more comfortable on the 21", However in the case of the stumpy I was more comfortable on the 19". I think this was due to the fine line of the bike being nimbler, but not too cramped. Also when i went lower on the trek the front end was too light for me, not the case on the stumpjumper (due to wheelbase)

specialized specs the reach too, so compare that with what your used to, I would say go for the medium and you can adjust if necessary, whereas if the large feels big and sluggish your SOL

or e-mail them about test rides in your area, if you can go out and ride some, who knows you might find you like a ____ better anyway
    Protection Hurts Performance

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    5'11" 32 inseam on a large with the stock 90mm stem.was previously on a 26 with a 23.5 tt and 100mm stem.Large Stumpy fits me great.

mtbr member
    I am 5-11 and ride a large 2012 FSR. I am very comfortable on the large. On the medium my knees were close to the handle bars while turning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Go with the large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Buxton View Post
    I would buy based on top tube length, and buy a Thomson seatpost if you feel you have a lot sticking out. I think the medium is going to fit you better. It sounds like you have longish lets and shorter torso. I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam and the large fits me perfect with a 90mm stem. I have a longish torso and pretty long arms.
    +1 for me, the only difference, is I am 6'1".

Go for a medium at your height.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've only test ridden some, but for me on the medium, I always feel like I'm pushing back on the handlebars to get myself further rearward. The large I just seem to be sitting square on the bike, a bit upright, but I like that with the full suspension, and the bars are right where they need to be.

5'10" with a cycling inseam of 31", but I'm kinda short-legged, long torsoed.

SJR
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the input. Do 29ers typically have longer top tubes? This may be more mental (or just an old way of thinking), but I can't over that top tube length on the large. Seems huge.

Probably just need another spin around the lot, but again thanks for all the input.

mtbr member
    5' 10" with a 31" inseam and the medium was a perfect fit with with a wide flat bar.

As you can see this is a personal fit issue. I did keep the seat pushed all the way back on it's rails but for me it was the ideal fit.

peddle pusher
    Oct 2011
    I'm on a medium and I find and i find it perfect on the Toronto's Crothers Woods trails. They're more technical than flowing and the medium feels just about right. I'd think a bigger frame would have a slower "feel" turning in when tracking around the corners etc...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    5' 10" with a 31" inseam and the medium was a perfect fit with with a wide flat bar.

As you can see this is a personal fit issue. I did keep the seat pushed all the way back on it's rails but for me it was the ideal fit.
    Hello , Iím from Spain. +/- 5 9" 1,76 meters. I have ordered a stumjumper fsr comp 2012 size M, and I would like to save for the future the 2012 catalog uploaded by subspd in July but the link no longer works. Could you re-upload or make an alternate link? Itís imposible to find it on the net

Thanks

mtbr member
    For some reason Specialized took the link down. Sorry I don't have it saved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm 6'1" and ride a large fsr expert which is just right. If you ride a lot of tight technical stuff you will enjoy the medium more. Err on the side of quicker handling. No matter the size, that bike will eat up the rough trails at any speed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    For some reason Specialized took the link down. Sorry I don't have it saved.
    Thanks anyway