DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Specialized Satellite Elite mtb/touring bars?

I saw these in a bike mag and then tried searching for them and couldnt find any more reference to them. They looked very cool - although spendy. Thought some folks on this board might have some more info. Here's what I know...

- Made by Specialized
    - Originally just marketed in Europe for touring, but are popular in US with endurance racers
    - 31.8 carbon bars, pretty wide, no rise but with decent sweep
    - The cool part - they have two handles out just to the sides of the stem so that you could assume a pretty narrow, more aero position. I do a fair amount of riding on the road to the trails (plus commuting) and often get in this position just holding the bar just outside the stem and then dropping lower. It's actually kind of comfortable when you're hammering out a bunch of flat straight miles. This bar would allow just that but would be more stretched out and more comfortable.

Anyone know anything? I guess I could just call/email Specialized, but for some reason I envision like a 6 week response time on any email reply. Thanks for any info... S

2:1
    mtbr member

that's a bontrager

It sounds like you're describing these:
    http://www.bontrager.com/Road/Compon...bars/21369.php
    ...but I don't know if they're available or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Only Euro.

I've got set of those in my basement. There isn't enough space to mount Shimano XT disc brake levers and shifters in the grip space. The overall width is to narrow, I prefer 660 or greater. They have about 9 degrees of backsweep and 3-4 of upsweep, not bad at all there.
    In talking with Bontrager's supplier about these bars I am under the impression they designed them specifically for high end flat bar touring bikes. I thought they would be good for epic rides, perhaps I'll throw them on this evening for tomorrow's ride. They could work for SS, or with Sram stuff and other brake levers.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Great...

thanks. Strange, the mag definitely said Specialized, but those are sure them. I don't mind the width, like the sweep. Just a question of fitting levers and shifters on and then the price.

If you for what ever reason decide you don't want em, shoot me an email at dsr80304 at hotmail dot com.

Thanks! S