mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Specialized rockhopper vs trek xcaliber 8 vs scott scale 980

Best for XC?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    All fine. Get the one you like the way it looks or...

1. Scott - Strength 1x11
    2. Trek
    3. Specialized - weakness - The specialized wheels and hubs on that model are garbage if you are bigger or ride on some rough terrain. I have had nothing but problems over time with those wheels and hubs. .

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    1x11 vs 2x10 whats the main difference?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Again, all of these bikes are essentially the same. You will only get I like trek blah blah blah, I like spec blah blah blah, I hate trek blah blah blah. Pick the bike that you find the coolest looking and go for it. But with you adding the scott in there. I agree I would go 1x11 vs the 2x10. Those are the gears. 1(front) x 11 (rear) vs 2 (front) x 10 (rear).

And in looking at the bikes again I would go with the Spec. It has a threaded bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I always rode 3x8 and now I wanted a XC race bike but I even sometimes go riding ad cruising on the streets. So which would be the best gear? And why?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That depends on you, your strengths, you weaknesses, where you ride, how you ride and alot of other things. If you go by the current meta that 1x11 is the way to go. Less complicated with a similar gear spread. and I would have to agree with them. I ride single speed and 1x10.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I used to play football so I have strong legs and a lot of stamina. I ride ever type of terrain

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbmalta View Post
    I always rode 3x8 and now I wanted a XC race bike but I even sometimes go riding ad cruising on the streets. So which would be the best gear? And why?
    While racing, you can get pretty messed up in your thought process. Simplifying that thought process and running the 1x11 so you only shift up and down can be paramount in a race when you get surprised by a climb and need to dump gears. I also prefer the way sram shifts and that you cant accidentally up shift too much and be in too big of a gear.

Future upgrades would be lighter wheels, a 32mm fork and you are good to go for your race rig.

Football as in Soccer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yes soccer

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    That will certainly help. There is a learning curve, but Having the fitness to play midfield is helpful for XC racing. Just have to get those hours in on the bike. I recommend following the XC racing and training section.