mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Specialized rockhopper vs trek xcaliber 8

Whats the best bike for XC? Which of them have the better components? Which one is the strongest and most durable?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am comparing a xcaliber 8 to the rockhopper pro. First things first...both are very comparable to each other without looking at the components, so I would go with what fits you the best.

Both are fine for XC, it exactly what they are design for. As for strongest and most durable, again equal. Buy what fits you.

compenents at this price point are going to be very similar and would come down if you like sram or shimano. The part you want to look is the forks. The wheels are going to be similar. The cockpit (stem, seatpost, handlebar, seat) are going to be similar. But here you go

Fork XCal RockShox 30 Silver vs RH Manitou Markhor , both 30mm, both rebound and lockout both air. winner neither
    Wheels: XCal Formula Hubs with Bontrager Rims vs RH Shimano Center Lock Disk and Stout XC. Formula has sealed bearing vs Shimano loose bearings , rims are similar but the Stouts are 25 mm internal which are most likely wider then the Bontragers.
    Brakes: XCal Shimano 315 vs RH Shimano 365...toss up I never used this level brake
    Drivetrain Both Deore Shifers, Xcal XT Rear DR vs SLX Rear DR....marketing trick..the DR really doesnt matter its the shifters. both are the same. fun point the Xcal using the new shimano side swing which is suppose to be really good.
    Cockpit...again at this level the all pretty much the same.

Another thing to consider. The Xcal is 27.5 in XS and S and 29er in all other sizes while the Rockhopper is only 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Both fit me well I'm size medium. What would you buy?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Really in comparing the GEO and specs and knowing what I know about each warranty. If both fit well and they should considering the GEO. Whichever one you find better looking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I just got my gf a Pitch 650B, and love the shape of the frame. The rock hopper has the same swoop on the top tube. Looks good. I think this is a time where its fair to say, get the one in the color you like. I like Specialized's frame shape and graphics they put on. Dont get all black, its kinda boring

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Which one has the better fork? And if your gonna jump with it which one will be the most durable?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    As I said before both forks are really the same. RS vs Manitou. 30mm stanctions, air spring, lockout and rebound. I had both companies forks at a higher level. Both are fine. Seriously pick which one you like the looks better.