mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Specialized Rockhopper Pro, Giant XTC2 or GT Karakorum 1.0

I am currently looking at getting a new mountain bike and geometry aside I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on which bike I should or shouldnt purchase. I currently have a trek 8000 that has served me well for years but I am wanting to start riding more but have a budget. Should have bought a new bike before I got married and the budget thing would not be an issue. These three bikes all seem to be speced out pretty closely and the Specialized and Giant bikes are more popular than the GT but the GT seems to review pretty well. I am pretty used to the Shimano Rapid Fire shifting so I decided to not go with the Giant Talon 0 although it is a very nice bike. Any opinions would be welcome.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill Rose View Post
    I am currently looking at getting a new mountain bike and geometry aside I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on which bike I should or shouldnt purchase. I currently have a trek 8000 that has served me well for years but I am wanting to start riding more but have a budget. Should have bought a new bike before I got married and the budget thing would not be an issue. These three bikes all seem to be speced out pretty closely and the Specialized and Giant bikes are more popular than the GT but the GT seems to review pretty well. I am pretty used to the Shimano Rapid Fire shifting so I decided to not go with the Giant Talon 0 although it is a very nice bike. Any opinions would be welcome.
    Go test ride them at least around parking lot and see which one feels best to you. Which ones are widely available locally to you? Personally I like SRAM shifting better, but I'll use Shimano too. Keep us updated.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have heard quite a few good things about the specialized and giant but I am wondering if the gt is the same quality as the other two.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Have you looked at the Specialized Carve? It's a little more than the others (without negotiating) you mentioned, but includes some nice upgrades and is much lighter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have looked at the Carve and the Trek X-Cal as well. I was not sure if the upgrade between the Carve and the Rockhopper was worth it and the owner of the LBS said that he thought the Rockhopper Pro was a better deal. This surprised me a little simply because the Rockhopper was cheaper. The Giant ride seemed to put me a little more upright that the GT or the Specialized. The biggest issue I am wrestling with right now is if I go with the GT K 1.0 I can pick it up for 950 versus the Rockhopper or the Curve at 1300 and 1600. This would give me 3-500 to upgrade. hence my quandary. I have even looked into getting the 2012 GT for 599 and upgrading from there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have looked at the Carve and the Trek X-Cal as well. I was not sure if the upgrade between the Carve and the Rockhopper was worth it and the owner of the LBS said that he thought the Rockhopper Pro was a better deal. This surprised me a little simply because the Rockhopper was cheaper. The Giant ride seemed to put me a little more upright that the GT or the Specialized. The biggest issue I am wrestling with right now is if I go with the GT K 1.0 I can pick it up for 950 versus the Rockhopper or the Curve at 1300 and 1600. This would give me 3-500 to upgrade. hence my quandary. I have even looked into getting the 2012 GT for 599 and upgrading from there.
    The price difference between the Rockhopper Pro and Carve Comp is smaller than the value/performance difference. The fork and frame are a good deal better on the Carve, so I'm not sure why your LBS said it was better value. Regardless, the Rockhopper Pro is 2x10 while the Giant and GT are both 3x10 (or 9 on the GT?) - which do you think you'd prefer? If you're looking at GTs, I might see if you could find a Zaskar 9R Comp - the Performance by me had them going for $999 recently, and I think it's better spec'd than the Karakoram.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am going to try to get out tomorrow and see what gt bikes they have in the zaskar. I have been looking at the curve more and I do like the 2x10 drive train set up. I am open to spending a little bit more if the step up is worth it. Has anyone had any issues with then gt brand? It seems component wise they are giving you a good deal for your dollar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The Rockhopper is not a bad choice after all -- please check how the one you have access to is equipped. Let me put it this way. The one I bought 3 years ago (approximately) came equipped with the fork of a Carve -- so I love it. Here is a link to my experience:

My Bike After (Almost) Two Years -- What are the Impressions for my First 29er - Specialized Rockhopper | Bikes, Biking Resources, Biking FunBikes, Biking Resources, Biking Fun

and a link to some classifieds (another option for you) 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the info BikerNik,

I have ridden a bunch of bikes and I think I have narrowed my list down to the Specialized Curve Comp which is running around 1600 and the Giant XTC 2 which is sitting around 1300. With me being 6'4" at 225 I think the extra money on a much better shock will be well worth it in the long run. I need to ride them both again but I am kind of leaning toward the Curve at this point. Can anyone think of a reason to pick one of these over the other or is it just a fit issue at this point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the info BikerNik,

I have ridden a bunch of bikes and I think I have narrowed my list down to the Specialized Curve Comp which is running around 1600 and the Giant XTC 2 which is sitting around 1300. With me being 6'4" at 225 I think the extra money on a much better shock will be well worth it in the long run. I need to ride them both again but I am kind of leaning toward the Curve at this point. Can anyone think of a reason to pick one of these over the other or is it just a fit issue at this point.
    Maybe see if the bike store selling the Carve will go less than 1600? I didn't pay MSRP for mine. Granted, we're probably in different markets, but it can't hurt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would recommend that you go with the fit first and foremost -- the $200-$300 will be something that will be amortized over a bunch of years .... So just try to get the possible deal on the bike you really end up feeling most comfortable on...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerNik View Post
    I would recommend that you go with the fit first and foremost -- the $200-$300 will be something that will be amortized over a bunch of years .... So just try to get the possible deal on the bike you really end up feeling most comfortable on...
    This...between those two the fit will make the biggest difference.