mtbr member

Specialized Hardrock: Which model

There are a few differences between the Hardrock Sport Disc and the Hardrock Disc but are they enough or worth it to command another $100? I know the Sport Disc has hyrdros and lockout but I don't see any other major differences from the Disc. So that's pretty much it, is it worth the additional money? I'll definitely upgrade the fork by next spring either way and, while I love hydro, is it a system that's worth having?

I'm set on this bike either way.

mtbr member
    Links?

With out looking it is usually better to spend the extra $100 at time of purchase rather than buy the cheaper bike and spend $100 on upgrades.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Tektro Hydros. Not a particularly valuable set.
    Instead spend 79 on a front slx hydro(M666) from BlueSky, or add 75 and get the Raidon air fork upgrade from Nick at Suntour instead. Get a Nobby Nic Performance 2.25 front and Racing Ralph Performance 2.25 rear for 75 from ebike stop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Tektro Hydros. Not a particularly valuable set.
    Spend 79 on a front slx hydro(M666) from BlueSky, or add 75 and get the Raidon air fork upgrade from Nick at Suntour instead. Get a Nobby Nic Performance 2.25 front and Racing Ralph Performance 2.25 rear for 75 from ebike stop.
    That's what I mean, is it worth another $100 for the Tektro Hydro's?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hrbib21 View Post
    That's what I mean, is it worth another $100 for the Tektro Hydro's?
    No. These other things are examples of what I would suggest you do with the 100 after buying the Hardrock Disc. And try to get something off list. Maybe you could get a couple upgrades.
    I would in most cases get the lower spec model for intro grade bikes and look for deals for upgrades of components you can move to your next bike or frame build.

mtbr member
    It looks like the Sport models has alloy bars, seperate shifters and brakes It also has better derailleurs F Altus vs Tourney and R Acera Altus. Better rotors and better crankset. Better shifters.

So if you buy the cheaper bike you will have problems with the shifter/brake combo if you try and fit a separate hydraulic disc brake.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 05-03-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    OK, thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That's the problem with this level of bike. The next model up contains "better" small pieces you would not buy given a choice because of negligible performance difference. You get something you can feel with the tires or the fork. If you want hydros get the SLX front and an SLX front shifter for 25.

mtbr member
    I disagree. I think the $120 is money well spent. YMMV

I also think adding a "better" fork to this bike would be over capitalizing. YMMV

Swapping the front brake will lead to issues with the shifter on the cheaper bike.

Guards Red. Airborne's budget-minded hardtail 29er.

mtbr member
    The Guardian is, without question, the bike I intended to buy. However, I crashed today (I'm OK but smashed into the dirt pretty hard headfirst) and really jacked up my bike (taco'd wheel and busted fork) and I have a race on Sunday. Granted, I can skip the race, I'm no Expert racer I only do beginner, but I'd prefer not to miss it. There's also the idea of racing with a new bike which I'm not all that fond of but whatever, it wouldn't be my first time, lol. I had already narrowed it down to the Guardian or Spec HR so it would not be an impulse purchase but, yeah, the Guardian was definitely first choice.

I'll see what happens tomorrow. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hrbib21 View Post
    The Guardian is, without question, the bike I intended to buy. However, I crashed today (I'm OK but smashed into the dirt pretty hard headfirst) and really jacked up my bike (taco'd wheel and busted fork) and I have a race on Sunday. Granted, I can skip the race, I'm no Expert racer I only do beginner, but I'd prefer not to miss it. There's also the idea of racing with a new bike which I'm not all that fond of but whatever, it wouldn't be my first time, lol. I had already narrowed it down to the Guardian or Spec HR so it would not be an impulse purchase but, yeah, the Guardian was definitely first choice.

I'll see what happens tomorrow. Thanks all.

Skip the race. It is only one days riding vs many months.

I also find after a "off" it takes time to get my confidence back. A crash on Friday would mean a not so good race on Sunday for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Got to agree. The Guardian is a way better buy than either of your choices.