Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Category Winner

Specialized FSR Carbon EVO 29 weighed (now a build thread)

Since I was curious to know, and figured others might be as well, I went ahead and weighed the frame before starting the build. The frame/seat collar with DT Swiss142X12 axle-ma-skewer thing removed was 5.48lbs for a medium.

Sorry I didn't bother snagging a picture of it hanging on the scale. The lighting behind the frame was washing out the readout.

Cool thing? The aluminum rear end EVO is really close in weight to the full carbon S-Works with Brain shock ( http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdn...ual-weight.jpg * unsure about which size that is). I'm seriously hoping to have this bike close to 25lbs when all is said and done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR Carbon EVO 29 weighed (now a build thread)-stumpyfsr.jpg  

Last edited by rockcrusher; 01-04-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Rename
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Not smart enough to shift
    WTF...Dicky on a Speshy? Didn't see that comin'.

The new rig have a name yet? SpecialDickcycle...

Meh.

Looks fun.
    Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    looks great, looking froward to seeing it built up.

there is a question i have for you going to send a pm if that is ok.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyontwo View Post
    WTF...Dicky on a Speshy? Didn't see that comin'.

The new rig have a name yet? SpecialDickcycle...

Meh.

Looks fun.
    Cheers,
    -A
    Joined a local team. Sponsored by a local shop. Decided it was time to see if I still hate gears and squish. This build has a few things going for it, including a dropper post.

I keep telling myself, "This time it will be different."
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Not smart enough to shift
    I dig it.

I actually bought a tallboy after some banter with you. I really love it and its been hanging in the garage for months waiting on me to get off my a$$ and finish my wheels. It's time...The single needs some love.

Can't wait to see this buggy built.
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    That's the same weight as my spearfish 1 frame w rr 12x142 axle and seat collar. I built mine up w full xX and it came in at 21.7lbs. Since you are using XX1 you should be easily in the 23 range without trying unless you're going to run heavy rims/tires.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Dicky u are going to love the bike its crazy fast and so stable, I use a Talas 34 110-140 on mine. I use it at 110mm for 95% of the time and its ubber.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

Category Winner
    I liked my Tallboy, but couldn't stand the X9 double. Matter of fact, I am confounded by front shifting altogether. This XX1 thing better work.

I wanted something with loads of travel, a water bottle cage, light weight, dropper post, and black. I ended up with a Rock Shox fork. Why? The Fox wasn't going to be available soon, the RS is 175g lighter, and I doubt at 135-140lbs I'll be flexing the 32mm stanchions all that much.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Since I was curious to know, and figured others might be as well, I went ahead and weighed the frame before starting the build. The frame/seat collar with DT Swiss142X12 axle-ma-skewer thing removed was 5.48lbs for a medium.

Sorry I didn't bother snagging a picture of it hanging on the scale. The lighting behind the frame was washing out the readout.

Cool thing? The aluminum rear end EVO is really close in weight to the full carbon S-Works with Brain shock ( http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdn...ual-weight.jpg * unsure about which size that is). I'm seriously hoping to have this bike close to 25lbs when all is said and done.
    Interesting but looks good

Formerly of Kent
    I think there's a dude on here who has one of those at sub-25 with a solid build.

Search "gef73". I think that's his name.

2013 Stumpy EVO S-Works 29er
    Last edited by Le Duke; 12-26-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I think there's a dude on here who has one of those at sub-23 with a solid build.

Search "gef73". I think that's his name.

2013 Stumpy EVO S-Works 29er
    I'm just not sure where I'll end up. I'll be running 2.25/2.4 Ardents, that's a ni-cro railed saddle, and the wheels I've got coming will be a bit of a mystery to me until I get my grubby hands on them.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    I built up a 26" version with XX1 and a wheelset that weights just under 1600g and I came in at 25.6lbs. I did keep the command post and I went with a Fox 34 and 750g tires. I was going for a more burly build, but I could see building one up in the 23-24 lb range if you wanted.

My medium 26" frame was 5.3 lbs, so a 29er frame isn't a great deal heavier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The start of your new bike is great, thanks for sharing.

I am in awe of your pegboard system. Enough to get motivated about having my own set up. Very nice.

P.S. - - Nice medal collection and belt buckle collection too.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Superflying on Haven

2011 Epic size LARGE

Stumpjumper FSR and Epic weight are almost the same...

Actual weight is 5.8 lbs (2641 grams with Brain and shock / without headset and seatpost clamp)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR Carbon EVO 29 weighed (now a build thread)-p4pb8999687.jpg  

Specialized FSR Carbon EVO 29 weighed (now a build thread)-p4pb8999691.jpg  

Last edited by Menzo; 12-28-2012 at 07:09 AM.
    I never stopped trying hard and I succeeded... some times.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    In fairness, it does look like you have your BB pressed into that frame which does increase the weight.
    Last edited by smithrider; 12-28-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Category Winner
    That and it's an Epic, so it's like comparing oranges to tangelos.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    any update on the build? What wheels are you using with the XX1?

Category Winner
    Picked up some more bits last night. Don't have a decent photo (yet). Still waiting on headset, brakes, and something interesting from Industry Nine.

Will update when I get a chance.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    Picked up some more bits last night. Don't have a decent photo (yet). Still waiting on headset, brakes, and something interesting from Industry Nine.

Will update when I get a chance.
    Do the listed weights include the anti-gravity tractor beam that S uses to suck the lifeforce out of the rest of the industry?

Semi-serious question...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My LBS owner just sold his Enduro and is building up one of these frames. I held it in my hands and was mystified at how light it was. His carbon Rovals seemed super nice too.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    teamdicky: I keep telling myself, "This time it will be different."

I think you have to tell yourself "this time I will love it", because it won't be different.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Do the listed weights include the anti-gravity tractor beam that S uses to suck the lifeforce out of the rest of the industry?

Semi-serious question...
    I'm not as deep into the "industry" as you are, but here's my take based on my thimbleful of info.

I bought a frame with as much thought to the company that made it as I did my recent purchase of a microwave. Little to none. I saw a microwave I liked with the features I wanted and bought it.

Specialized sues Volagi, Stan's sues Specialized, Avid sues Hayes, DW sues Trek... I'm not sure what Specialized does to suck the life force out of the industry that isn't done in other arenas in the business world. I've heard stories about certain companies doing more than just threatening LBS's if they don't remove competitor's products... dunno. Were they one of those companies? I know there's more than meets the eye going on between bike companies, reps, and LBS's.

This is probably not the thread for it, but it's not like I'm sponsored by Specialized, so feel free to share. I really don't mind.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Terrible photo of my simple cockpit. Thinking this as close to having an EASY button as it gets.

Command Post control on my left, XX1 Gripshift on my right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR Carbon EVO 29 weighed (now a build thread)-photo1.jpg  

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Category Winner
    Oh yeah, the fjork.

Fox said I would have to wait. I ordered a Rock Shox Revelation instead. Then this showed up, so Fox it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized FSR Carbon EVO 29 weighed (now a build thread)-photo1.jpg  

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's the fork you want anyway.

Going to predict you won't be a fan of the suspension under power, unless you like sitting and spinning, which is just what I would expect from a die-hard single speed rider. Or not.

It will be a sh!t-ton of fun on rocky downhills.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast