mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Specialized Epic Expert EVO R Carbon 29 1 x 10

Can pick up a 2012 ($4k)

Never even ridden a 1 x 10.

Seem like a good deal?

Worth losing my 2 x 10 or 3 x 10 to get a good deal????

I can get into a SCOTT Spark 920 for $3600 (3 x 10)

Good bike nice bike?

Mostly trail riding, semi agressive. Want to start racing in a couple of months

NEED INPUT!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    3x10 is dead. Go with the Epic.

mtbr member
    2X10 on my Camber. Great set up and I never miss the big ring.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, disappointed that Scott's 2013 comes 3 x 10 on a $3k plus bike...what do you think of this particular epic, the price and the 1 x10?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Why would it matter if you have a 3x10, 2x10, or 1x10? It just seems you'd be limiting yourself. Its not like you have to use the big ring, or the small ring. there still there if you do need/want them.

Honest question. I'm new to the sport, and just curious. Weight? Maybe the whole KISS theory, less is more?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post

NEED INPUT!
    Ride both. Buy the one that feels better. You can make any bike 1x, 2x, 3x...

mtbr member
    Is the Special ed new or used?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    CycleJC: It is BRAND NEW. $4k..2012! A Scalpel 2 carb fiber 2012 new entered the pic... my guess around $4500...what's a guy to do lol

das: complicated answer

92gli: Problem is, nobody lets you RIDE em. Riding in a freakin parking lot isn't my idea of riding. I awlways love sales guy face when I start jumping curbs and parking heads. Usually, their jaw drops...I do it smooooth, but in back of my mind, I'm like 'please don't eat it'! But that is NOT riding condition when I'm on the trails!

I have gotten way away from that $3600 Scotts, which is more then I'll likely grow into in a year or so, but gotta know my options for this kinda loot!

mtbr member
    I agree, to a point, about parking lot rides. You can still blaze over a few curbs, sprint around corners, launch off of their loading dock! Sounds like the Epic is a deal to me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Cyclejce. you a specialized rider? Input on speicalized? Others?

mtbr member
    I am and I'm not... For the purposes of this conversation I am not. I do own one of their Crux disc brake cross bikes though.

I test rode the 2012 Epic and didn't like it... I'm 230# with gear, and even after tuning the shock I couldn't get it where I wanted it. It was either too soft, too stiff, too noisy (brain). It handled like a dream, but in the end I decided the Spearfish was better for me. Awesome bike for 95% of guys, coming off of a hardtail the Spearfish felt better.

Big Damn Hero
    I'm a big fan of 1x set ups. Granted here in TX we don't have any epic mountain climbs but I lug around a 31lb full suspension KHS around Austin which is very hilly without issue on a 1x9 set up.

I just bought a 2012 Orbea Alma carbon 29er and will be going 1x10 on that as soon as it gets here... should bring it down to about 22.5lbs.

Unless you're in a very hilly area, I see no need for more than 1 chainring.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    lol yeah, not hilly around here MIAMI! MTB courses here are rapid ascents and descents. If I like it may put deposit on it tomorrow. Just wish they'd let you really test ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    THe only time I see missing my big sprocket is the rare street ride, or the long entry to the park. 1/2 mile or so, I like to use biggest sprocket on current 3 ring, will def be strange going down to 1

mtbr member
    Live in Miami, 1x10 is plenty!!! Either bike you could easily upgrade later if need be. May want to post something on your local bike forum, we use Sorba up here in Ga and have seen people nice enough to let someone ride a lap on their personal bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah dPastore, likely enough, rode it, LOVED it, what sweet components. BOUGHT IT! Here in Miami, we shoot or get shot if ya toucha da bike lol

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I cant speak for all, but big ring is a good thing in a race. For shorter uphill burst, if u have the power, motoring up these little sucker on the big ring can save you precious time and may be pass one or two people.

At a local time trial uphill, most of the top guys are hammering on the big ring through the first small hill before returning to the middle ring for the remaining climb.

mtbr member
    Well put! Big ring riding is for the pros! Not being one of the top guys (no slouch though) I prefer to keep my ride light and simple. 1x10 in Houston is the best!