Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    190

    Specialized Crave Pro vs. Stumpjumper Comp.

    Was looking at these 2 at a lbs recently. No test rides or anything just looking. Same price at $2000 but the components are quite different and geometry appears different as well. I mainly ride tight twisty single track made up of hard pack with some roots, gravel, sand and occasional ruts. Im not a racer though its not out of the question and I very rarely leave the ground. Im 6 ft with a 30" inseam and have been told I could ride either a medium or a large "depending" (whatever that means). I would appreciate any input on which one I should be leaning towards.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    275
    I ride the same type of terrain you do and just ordered the stumpjumper comp. For me the component mix is more appealing on the stumpjumper. The frame is the M5 aluminum they used to use for their S-Works bikes, and it comes with through axles instead of the standard QR axles.

    As for what to steer you towards, it would be a toss up IMO. The Stumpy looks to be made more for racing where the Crave is more for trail riding.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    145
    While theyre both XC bikes, the crave is a little more trail oriented. Looks better suited to a 120mm if you ever decide you want that. As far as components, its a toss up. Do you like fox or RS? Sram or Shimano? Based on your description of "twisty singletrack", I'd go crave, as it will offer more playful handling

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    190
    Ive only had experience with Rockshox and Shimano with a brief ride on a friends bike with sram components. Im not opposed to a change as Im going from 26 to 29 inch wheels anyway so why stop there? For now Im patiently waiting for some decent weather to do some test rides. Would love to hear anyone's experience with either of these bikes good, bad, whatever.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by OLx6 View Post
    I ride the same type of terrain you do and just ordered the stumpjumper comp. For me the component mix is more appealing on the stumpjumper. The frame is the M5 aluminum they used to use for their S-Works bikes, and it comes with through axles instead of the standard QR axles.

    As for what to steer you towards, it would be a toss up IMO. The Stumpy looks to be made more for racing where the Crave is more for trail riding.
    Just curious, What color did you get? Im digging the green over the black.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    275
    I went with the black, understated and simple.

  7. #7
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,727
    The Crave looks more like something I would buy. I prefer the fork on the Stumpy, but the FOX fork is ok, and the Shimano brakes and drivetrain are better than the SRAM/ Formula on the Stumpy.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    The Crave looks more like something I would buy. I prefer the fork on the Stumpy, but the FOX fork is ok, and the Shimano brakes and drivetrain are better than the SRAM/ Formula on the Stumpy.
    Id prefer the Reba over the Fox also but the 100mm, the Shimano drive train and brakes on the Crave kinda sells it for me. Im looking forward to some test rides. What do you mean when you say the Fox is "ok"?

  9. #9
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclesnIPAs View Post
    Id prefer the Reba over the Fox also but the 100mm, the Shimano drive train and brakes on the Crave kinda sells it for me. Im looking forward to some test rides. What do you mean when you say the Fox is "ok"?
    The FOX is the Evo fork, cheaper than the Kashima coated good fork.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    190
    Ah understood. Same internals though?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    978
    No its not. The Evolution fork has the open bath. Real basic fork.

    Factory has the FiT cartridge and trail adjust.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnicosia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    107
    Have you considered the Camber ? It's a weapon !
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon EVO Expert 26.5lbs/2014 YETI SB95 , KS LEV seat post

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by jnicosia View Post
    Have you considered the Camber ? It's a weapon !
    The Camber is sweet but im not really looking for a fs bike. If I was, Id prob go with an Anthem, Superfly FS or Scalpel but Im a hardtail junkie at heart. Speaking of Superfly's Im also liking the Superfly 6 hardtail. Its cheaper than both of the Specialized yet has very similar components.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    103
    have you looked at the trek stache?

  15. #15
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,727
    Stache is my recommendation.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    190
    Unfortunately the Stache isnt an option cuz the Stache 8 is way over my budget and Im not digging the Recon silver on the 7. Also I really dont wanna go over 100mm so the 120mm is a little much. Im really liking the Superfly 6 though.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    190
    Got to test ride a Stumpjumper Comp over the weekend and I hate to say I wasnt too impressed. The cockpit felt very awkward in that I felt too leaned forward yet cramped at the same time also I came to the realization that I pretty much hate SRAM shifters. Unfortunately they didnt have the Crave in my size (19") so that ones still up in the air. Its a shame cuz the shop owner offered me a great deal on the stumpy.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclesnIPAs View Post
    The cockpit felt very awkward in that I felt too leaned forward yet cramped at the same time also I came to the realization that I pretty much hate SRAM shifters.
    Did you try to flip the stem to positive? I ran mine negative for a while and, while it looks neat and all, I ended up liking the bike with a low-rise bar and a 5deg rise 80mm stem.... I am on a Med, and 5'11" and have a Thomson setback post and feels pretty good.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by hiroshima View Post
    Did you try to flip the stem to positive? I ran mine negative for a while and, while it looks neat and all, I ended up liking the bike with a low-rise bar and a 5deg rise 80mm stem.... I am on a Med, and 5'11" and have a Thomson setback post and feels pretty good.
    I did not. I didnt want to bother the shop owner with changing up the cockpit just for a test ride. If I was absolutely interested in the bike than I probably would have. Unfortunately it was the components that didnt help much either. Really dislike those SRAM shifters.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AE Beej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    243
    if it helps any, i am going for a 2015 crave pro. from what i understood, i am able to upgrade the fork on it to have a fit cartridge versus the open bath style. correct me if i am wrong??

Similar Threads

  1. 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
    By Major Glory in forum Specialized
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 03:43 PM
  2. 13 Carve Comp vs 14 Crave or Rockhopper Comp for Clyde?
    By dkyser in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-16-2014, 08:09 AM
  3. 2013 Stumpjumper Comp or 2014 Crave Pro ?
    By JoeOxfordCT in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 12:22 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-23-2013, 02:08 PM
  5. Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    By benlotan in forum Specialized
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 08:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •