mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Specialized -couple of models in mind Rockhopper, Hardrock or TREK ?

Hi,
    I posted another thread about purchasing a TREK 29er and after visiting my LBS spoke with the owner, I said that i was looking for a TREK Stache 7 or Cobia or MAMBA.......
    he mentioned that Specialized might have better bang for the buck and better frames too than TREK`s .
    There was a Hardrock Sport Disc 29er for $699 and said it had hydraulic brakes and Shimano components and was one of the best sellers at the store...... They do give a LIFETIME TUNE UPS with every purchase.
    I looked at the Specialized website and was focused on the Rockhopper Pro or Comp which are in my price range of $1500 for a first entry level bike. At the moment I am 280 Lbs 6'2" and a 21" frame would be good i think. My goal will be 220/230 Lbs . Most of my riding will be fire road and street ride for the time being with moderate trail until i get used to the bike.
    I need some more info since i am new to the sport on deciding between the two brands TREK and SPECIALIZED in my price range of $1500 which model/s should i go with ?
    Last edited by b52martin; 03-18-2013 at 04:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd check other Trek dealers for a 2012 21" X-Cal for the fork.
    REIs have lifetime on their products like a Ponderosa with Raidon fork for 999, but they have good discount days periodically.
    YouTube Park Tool and Pinkbike Tech Tuesday vids will get you into the skill development you need for bike maintainence-- nobody but you on the trail. Tuning is easy to learn.
    An Airborne Goblin in 21" should skill have the dual air Reba and is less than 1500.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you are interested in the S company I would go base Carve which list for $1600 and negotiate down to your price. The Hoppers have garbage forks even in the best model and a entry level forks would have no resale value. A rigid fork would be better IMO. Nothing wrong with the trek frames which used to guaranteed for life and use the same frame up to the XCAL. I doubt Specialized Hoppers are any better- stronger than the TREK at that price point. We bought a used Wahoo for my wife and have upgraded parts from my bin.I bought a rigid fork and large volume tires and think it is a great ride. Don't believe everything a bike salesman says as his interest or reasoning for suggesting a product may or may not coincide with what works for someone else. Bikes, fit, and ride quality are a totally individual thing that is seldom gotten right the first time around and usually changes with saddle time.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    If you are interested in the S company I would go base Carve which list for $1600 and negotiate down to your price. The Hoppers have garbage forks even in the best model and a entry level forks would have no resale value. A rigid fork would be better IMO. Nothing wrong with the trek frames which used to guaranteed for life and use the same frame up to the XCAL. I doubt Specialized Hoppers are any better- stronger than the TREK at that price point. We bought a used Wahoo for my wife and have upgraded parts from my bin.I bought a rigid fork and large volume tires and think it is a great ride. Don't believe everything a bike salesman says as his interest or reasoning for suggesting a product may or may not coincide with what works for someone else. Bikes, fit, and ride quality are a totally individual thing that is seldom gotten right the first time around and usually changes with saddle time.
    This. Don't even think about the HardRock, unless you don't plan on riding much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was looking at Rockhoppers also but went with the Carve Comp. Not a fan of SRAM components that came with it but still better than the Rockhopper's component. Like mentioned above the forks are way better on the Carve. Big deciding factor for me was the weight. The Carve weigh maybe up to 5lb lighter. If you are spending $1500, get the Carve. I got mine 2013 comp for $1526 including tax.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Rockhopper and Treks are very different from each other in geometry so make sure you test ride both to see what you like best. The Hardrock component group isn't as nice as the RH or Mambas, I've definitely graduated from that level lol. And if you are going to do a lot of riding, the Carve would be my choice between the Spec's and Treks.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was a "big guy" when I started riding I'm talking about 315ish. And I started on a Hardrock sport disc with no issues at all. Now I'm about 180 and all I want to do is ride my bike. 1500 is a lot of money. But if I knew then what I know now I would have saved up more for a better bike. You won't have to save up too much more for an aluminum full suspension xc bike. If you can find a Santa Cruz dealer in your area check out the SUPERLIGHT 29er it's a super value and if your limited to trek or specialized I think you can get a CAMBER 29er for a Good price. I'm just saying if I were you save a couple more Benjamin's and pull the trigger on a full suspension bike. You will not regret it.

mtbr member
    In your price range, I agree with others that say to skip right over the Rockhopper. Personally, on that budget I'd be going with a Salsa El Mariachi. Any dealer can order you a Salsa bike easily. However, the Carve is a nice bike and you might be able to find an aluminum Santa Cruz Highball for that price, or a whole ton of other bikes... I would just avoid the Suntour entry level forks if you can.

mtbr member
    I agree with some of the others, go with the carve comp for $1500. I just bought a carve comp for $1500 (2013) I had a hardrock and kept it for 6 months and decided the rockhopper was really not a big enough upgrade so I just went with the carve, I can assure you, you will not regret getting the carve, it has a lot of great components and the fork is much better than the rockhopper I believe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Speaking from experience you will want to put a better rear derailuer on the rockhopper. The rear derail that comes standard causes a boat load of chain skippage and is not even worth using. So factor that into your costs.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO HT 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You honestly can't go wrong with either bike....Trek Stache and Carve both amazing bikes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Edcft View Post
    Speaking from experience you will want to put a better rear derailuer on the rockhopper. The rear derail that comes standard causes a boat load of chain skippage and is not even worth using. So factor that into your costs.
    which deraileur would you go with? I love my Rockhopper Comp, but I was stretching my budget for it so the Carve was out of the question.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Specialized -couple of models in mind Rockhopper, Hardrock or TREK ?

Quote Originally Posted by Edcft View Post
    Which RH are you referring to the base? I almost got carve but couldn't justify 1500 for a bike that I wasn't 100 sure I would ride as much on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I got a Hardrock in October, and now I'm craving a Carve, oops I mean a Crave (2014 name change for legal reasons).

On that note, someone please start a thread asking Specialized to reconsider that name.

My submission would be the Trailcarver

mtbr member
    I went with the 2013 Carve/Expert. I have absolutely no complaints. It also came with a Reba RL air fork. I imagine you should be able to get a good deal too. In light of the 2014's are here or around the corner. I use it for street as well and put some Schwalbes on it for pavement or just use the Ground Controls for dirt. The SRAM 2X10 gearing isn't shabby. It is absolutely high geared for the climbs. The 2013 Carve/Comp is the same frame just a minor step down in components. You should be able to get the Expert much cheaper than msrp including tax.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized -couple of models in mind Rockhopper, Hardrock or TREK ?-img_4019.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you are even thinking about the Rockhopper Pro. Skip it and get the Carve.
    I have a 2013 Carve and love it.
    The brakes are the Rockhopper base are ****. The brakes on the RH Comp are crap.
    The Pro has Avid same with the Carve ( Yes I know 90% of the people on here hate avid) I have NEVER had a problem with mine. but for 200 more you get a way batter front fork.. Nothing wrong with Sram drivetrain. I have not had one problem with my carve. It weighs in at about 29 lbs.
    Only thing that sucks about the carve is the 27.2mm seat post where the RH has a 30.9. 30.9+ easier to find seat post droppers if you ever wanted one not a lot in 27.2

I paid 1500 OTD for my 2013 green Carve comp. Love it. But it may be going up for sale. I like my Trek Rumblefish more
    2013 Trek Rig SS
    2013 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    2014 Trek X-Cal 5
    2014 Trek Slash 7