mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Specialized camber expert 29 vs. Trek Fuel ex 9.8 29

Hej,

has anyone of you experience on these 2 bikes? Which one is the better one? I tried the Camber nice bike, but how is the new fuel ex??

thx

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden the camber but from what I have ridden of the Fuel I can say it is an awesome bike. They took all the great parts of the original 26er fuel and put big wheels on it. It has that super plush bottomless feel to the suspension and now rolls over everything better. Win win.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I owned and endurance raced a Camber for a year. Very good bike, but it requires a lot of lever flipping. When setup at all plush, I never felt it pedaled very efficiently, at least compared to the Epic I raced the year before.

Lately, I've spent a bunch of time on a new Remedy 29er. Disclosure: I've NEVER been a Trek guy. Good bikes? Yup. Boring? Double-yup. IMO, the Full Floater rear suspension combined with that fancy-schmancy DRCV shock blows me away. What a combination of pedaling efficiency and plushness.

Since the Fuel's rear suspension is similar to the Remedy's, I would choose it over the Camber in a heartbeat. Shoot, I would probably choose it over the Superfly 100 I raced a few years back (it had the same rear suspension conundrum as the Camber). If you're looking for something a bit racier, I would steer you towards the new Turner Czar with a 120 fork, which is my race bike this year, and in a world all its own in so many ways.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I have not yet ridden the new Fuel EX 29, but I have ridden the longer travel Remedy 29, and it seemed so good. Even on flat trails the suspension did not slow me down as much, and I am used to riding a hardtail. The bike was super fast, and the suspension was soft and improved riding over even the smallest of bumps.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Our family owns both, and my pick is the Fuel. We have a Large camber elite and a 18.5 Fuel 29 9.8.

I feel like the Fuel Fits better, prefer the fuel handling better, and I prefer the rear suspension. Just more comfortable on the Fuel.

Camber handled a little sluggish to me, rear suspension doesn't do much for me, have always questioned the set up.

Both are really fun though.