Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    15

    Specialized Camber Comp Carbon alternative

    Have posted asking for recommendations in the CX Enduro thread but wonder if i'm better posting in here?

    Looking for a XC style of bike... Mostly ride 50+ miles with a mix of trails, small descents and roads. Need something conformable with full sus over a longer slog... less aggressive is probably better?

    Budget 1700

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,788
    Epic, Blur, Spark, Top Fuel, Scalpel, etc... All are more XCish than the Camber.
    Do the math.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Epic, Blur, Spark, Top Fuel, Scalpel, etc... All are more XCish than the Camber.
    Willing to sacrifice speed and weight for comfort on those all day epics? More XCish will be fine on smoother rides or to get the absolute most efficient and fast bike. A short travel trail bike (120-130mm) will give up all out speed, but will likely be more comfortable and more capable when trails get more tech.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J_Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    113
    My XC hardtail bike is more comfortable than my 140mm all mountain/trail bike. It's finding the ergonomics that will fit you. Try looking into Rocky Mountain bikes. They are excellent quality with great designs for all types of riding. Their thunderbolt maybe a good fit for what you want to do.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    15
    cheers guys, I was originally taken with the camber carbon as my mates s-works epic is lovely to ride however i'm questioning the need for carbon? My current steed is 13.1kg, with the camber weighing it at more... My rationale was weight saving but the camber is 'heavy'. Here probably isn't the place for an ally/carbon debate but with my modest budget i'm perhaps best sticking to metal? I just don't want to be riding around on a brick, going ally should give me a better spec and something that will last...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    Willing to sacrifice speed and weight for comfort on those all day epics? More XCish will be fine on smoother rides or to get the absolute most efficient and fast bike. A short travel trail bike (120-130mm) will give up all out speed, but will likely be more comfortable and more capable when trails get more tech.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    so going ally with 1700 where would you spend it?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Epic, Blur, Spark, Top Fuel, Scalpel, etc... All are more XCish than the Camber.
    The more I looks into these, the more I realise my budget is too tight and with road cycling to pay for there is no wiggle room. Dropping to ally to secure a better bike is probably the best choice, also means jumping on a used machine is less of a concern... buying a used carbon worries me and is probably best avoided!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Bone View Post
    My XC hardtail bike is more comfortable than my 140mm all mountain/trail bike. It's finding the ergonomics that will fit you. Try looking into Rocky Mountain bikes. They are excellent quality with great designs for all types of riding. Their thunderbolt maybe a good fit for what you want to do.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    the Thunderbolt is certainly a lovely bike however they seem to be way out of my price range, the more I think about a used carbon the more I worry...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    53
    I think it is very difficult to find brand new xc style bikes for 1700 usd. You should look for bikes on sale. If you live in europe you could get the Canyon Neuron.

    Manufacturers have been using all their money on developing trail and enduro bikes the last couple of years, so XC bikes have become an expensive niche. But there are some out there.

    Personally i do not think XC full suspension race bikes are very comfortable. They are race bikes and usually brutally efficient. But your opinion could be different than mine. I would say look for efficient trail bikes/marathon bikes based on their xc race bike siblings. These have tuned suspension to be more comfortable, and have travel from 100-120mm. Examples are Scott spark, spec camber, Kona Hei Hei DL santa cruz tallboy among others. But I think all of these are outside your budget, even on sale.

    A bike you maybe can get pretty cheap is a used Kona Process 111. It is one of my fav bikes, and the latest version is very up to date on geo. This is more a bike that has gone the other way than the bikes mentioned. Based on a full on hardcore trail bike and moved towards XC.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,788
    Aluminum, especially on a FS mtb, is fine, IMO. The only real downside is a little added weight. IMO, a more efficient, quicker handling bike(i.e XC) is going to be more optimal for the riding described in the first post than would be longer travel slacker bikes. Or to put it another way, if I were riding as described in that post, I'd get an FS XC bike like the few I proposed in the second post. That's not what I ride now because my riding is different from that.
    Do the math.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Aluminum, especially on a FS mtb, is fine, IMO. The only real downside is a little added weight. IMO, a more efficient, quicker handling bike(i.e XC) is going to be more optimal for the riding described in the first post than would be longer travel slacker bikes. Or to put it another way, if I were riding as described in that post, I'd get an FS XC bike like the few I proposed in the second post. That's not what I ride now because my riding is different from that.
    I think a short travel trail bike is far more in line with the riding and attributes described.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPaulus View Post
    I think it is very difficult to find brand new xc style bikes for 1700 usd. You should look for bikes on sale. If you live in europe you could get the Canyon Neuron.

    Manufacturers have been using all their money on developing trail and enduro bikes the last couple of years, so XC bikes have become an expensive niche. But there are some out there.

    Personally i do not think XC full suspension race bikes are very comfortable. They are race bikes and usually brutally efficient. But your opinion could be different than mine. I would say look for efficient trail bikes/marathon bikes based on their xc race bike siblings. These have tuned suspension to be more comfortable, and have travel from 100-120mm. Examples are Scott spark, spec camber, Kona Hei Hei DL santa cruz tallboy among others. But I think all of these are outside your budget, even on sale.

    A bike you maybe can get pretty cheap is a used Kona Process 111. It is one of my fav bikes, and the latest version is very up to date on geo. This is more a bike that has gone the other way than the bikes mentioned. Based on a full on hardcore trail bike and moved towards XC.
    My budget is 1700 or $2300 USD which I was hoping was ok for the next step up. I think the reason i'm leaning to an XC bike is riding my mates epic and finding it comfortable. I find my cube pro ltd so compressed and uncomfortable that I don't want to experience the same again... At the end of the day I need something that is comfortable over 50-70miles...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    53
    My bad. You should probably look at the canyon neuron al 6, or 7 if you can stretch the budget. Both are probably the best offer you can get at their respective price points. Not exactly an epic, but close enough and probably as close as you will be able to find a bike with a decent spec at that price. It is more like a xc marathon or light trail bike. Made for long days on the trail.
    You could probably get a good deal from a dealer that has a xc bike from last year in the shop. Or buy a bike lightly used.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    15
    rode a spark yesterday... was ok but didn't fall in love with it. Another shop suggested a new stunt jumper... seemed a weird choice for what I will likely be doing?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    53
    Ok. What did you not like about the spark?

    The stumpjumper st is prob something you could consider. But the normal one or the evo is prob more travel than you need.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPaulus View Post
    Ok. What did you not like about the spark?

    The stumpjumper st is prob something you could consider. But the normal one or the evo is prob more travel than you need.
    The Camber has been essentially replaced by the Stumpjumper ST. That may be why the recommendation was made. The Stumpjumper and Camber shared portions of their frames in the previous generation as well. They decided to just bring them into one family, a longer travel standard model and a short travel model that is the Camber replacement.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPaulus View Post
    Ok. What did you not like about the spark?

    The stumpjumper st is prob something you could consider. But the normal one or the evo is prob more travel than you need.
    TBF I only rode it around a car park, hardly a fair test and really I will only know how a bike feels after a few hours in the saddle... think I was expecting too much. Sat on a stunt jumper earlier. Was off the shelf so rear shock was only set at 100psi so impossible to tell what it was like.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-03-2016, 05:53 AM
  2. 2015 Camber Comp vs Camber Comp Carbon
    By Lapoon in forum Specialized
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-12-2015, 07:27 PM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-19-2015, 06:57 AM
  4. will specialized camber evo shock fit on camber comp?
    By jd2013cambercomp in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-17-2014, 12:29 PM
  5. Specialized Camber vs Camber Comp
    By moopey in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-26-2013, 09:48 PM

Members who have read this thread: 68

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.