29er for the Soul

Specialized Camber 29 2012 or 2013 $100 diff.

I am pricing the Specialized Camber 29.

I found a dealer that sells the 2012 for 100 more than the 2013. The 2012 model seems to be better spec'd. The 2012 has the M4 frame, but the 2013 has the m5 frame.

What's the best deal? From what I read, the m5 is supposed to be stronger and lighter(just a guess), but I dont' know if that compensates for the better parts on the 2012 model.

Cheers

SoCal Rod
    So Cal Rod

davidcarson48
    M4 vs. M5: M5 is slightly lighter, yes. I don't think it's any stronger. If you post up the specs on the 12 and 13, I'd offer an opinion on that, as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    M4 vs. M5: M5 is slightly lighter, yes. I don't think it's any stronger.
    as officials from Speci say, the higher number means lighter, stronger and stiffer frame

29er for the Soul
    M4 vs. M5: M5 is slightly lighter, yes. I don't think it's any stronger. If you post up the specs on the 12 and 13, I'd offer an opinion on that, as well.

Hi David,

Thanks for offering to help.

The specs for the 2013 model are here: Specialized Bicycle Components

The specs for the 2012 model are here: 2012 Specialized Camber 29 | Mountain Bike Components and Specs

thanks
    So Cal Rod

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This is only hear say, but I talked to a dealer last week about the 2013 Camber, and he stated the handling was better and the bike was lighter.

Todd

davidcarson48
    I would go with the 12. The fork and drivetrain is absolutely worth an extra $100.

Rogue Exterminator
    I would go with the 12. The fork and drivetrain is absolutely worth an extra $100.
    Hell, I would say the fork is worth the extra $100 alone.

Can't offer you anything on the frame difference but I am going to guess you won't notice any.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am also looking at the 12 and 13 models. They are both m5 frames from what the specs show. The 13 is a little lighter and the shock mount is different on the AL models. I believe the lighter claim is the rock shocks parts are lighter than the fox at least i was told this and cannot confirm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I broke my 12 camber at the shock mount. Spec lived replaced with a 13 frame

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by teachndad View Post
    I am pricing the Specialized Camber 29.

I found a dealer that sells the 2012 for 100 more than the 2013. The 2012 model seems to be better spec'd. The 2012 has the M4 frame, but the 2013 has the m5 frame.

What's the best deal? From what I read, the m5 is supposed to be stronger and lighter(just a guess), but I dont' know if that compensates for the better parts on the 2012 model.

Cheers

SoCal Rod
    I went through the same comparison and chose the 2012 model at signif savings, and I am loving it. I decided for me the spec is better on the 2012 entry level Camber 29er, if you can set your own sag. For example, 2012 fork has aluminum stanchions (Recon TK GOld), 2013 fork has steel and is therefore couple hundred grams heavier (Recon TK SIlver). Also prefer the 2012 XT rear derailer to the 2013 SLX. WHatever the mysterious difference is between M4 and M5, I doubt my legs will feel it, though my wallet would.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would go with the 12 for the simple fact it has a normal rear shock and not one with that stupid yoke that Specialized is in love with.
    This way you have a better speced bike with a non proprietary shock.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Has anyone else removed the 10mm travel reducer in their 2012 Camber Comp Fox forks? I just did mine and am now sporting the full 120mm. The front end feels ever so slightly taller but with a little extra sag, it rides beautifully....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjbucknell View Post
    Has anyone else removed the 10mm travel reducer in their 2012 Camber Comp Fox forks? I just did mine and am now sporting the full 120mm. The front end feels ever so slightly taller but with a little extra sag, it rides beautifully....
    Sounds good but my only concern there is could there be interference between tire and frame at full compression now that you have freed up more travel? That could be checked out standing still maybe after letting all air out of the fork. Better to discover it then rather than while bombing down some difficult descent!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah, I checked that. The extra 20mm is at full extension not compression. The fork is a 120mm travel 29er, reduced by Specialized with a 10mm spacer. It's now set how Fox originally designed it. Albeit not how Specialized designed the package.