Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Specialized Bikes - Can you replace rear brain style shock?

46K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Art.C 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just had a question about the Specialized brain. If you have a brain equipped Spesh, can you at any stage replace the Fox rear shock with a normal shock like a Fox rp23 or Monarch? Or are you literally stuck with the brain?

#5 ·
Naveed said:
Is there anyone on this forum who's been able to change the Fox/Specialized rear shock for a normal Fox shock? Is the shock length on the Stumpy FSR Brain the same as a normal shock?
You can always go measure the eye to eye distance and then check the website for anything that matches.

I used to have an Epic with a Brain and from what I recall, I would imagine you could find a shock with same eye to eye and stroke, but the main concern would be diameter of housing and whether there would be interference.

Also, why do you want to replace it? Did your brain stop working? Is it stupid?;)

#6 ·
Tirider,

Thanks for your answer, I've ordered a Spesh 29er FSR and am a bit worried about the Brain. If it developes any issues or I don't like it, I'd like the option of using another shock. Also I'm worried about the shock developing a fault and maybe Spesh will have stopped making that shock due to new models and I'm left with an obsolete bike.

I like the idea of having a bike that I can chop and change (one where I'm not too locked into the company and its products)

#7 ·
Shocks come in different lengths and travel, so there's no normal shock.

Please check the specs at:
http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/10/shocks/FLOAT

To answer your question, yes, you can. All you have to do is remove your shock and Brain and install a shock with the same length shock (eye-eye) and travel, and actually you don't even have to do that, but your bike not ride as designed.

Not sure why you would want to down grade ( IMO ), but it's your bike..

Good luck with whatever you do...

Oh yeah, will you send me your shock and Brain if you're not going to use it? ;)

Naveed said:
Is there anyone on this forum who's been able to change the Fox/Specialized rear shock for a normal Fox shock? Is the shock length on the Stumpy FSR Brain the same as a normal shock?

#8 ·
Ah! You posted this while I was typing...

Don't worry about the Brain. It's been since 2003 or 2004 ( maybe earlier, don't recall ) and it's good stuff. It's not going anywhere..

Naveed said:
Tirider,

Thanks for your answer, I've ordered a Spesh 29er FSR and am a bit worried about the Brain. If it developes any issues or I don't like it, I'd like the option of using another shock. Also I'm worried about the shock developing a fault and maybe Spesh will have stopped making that shock due to new models and I'm left with an obsolete bike.

I like the idea of having a bike that I can chop and change (one where I'm not too locked into the company and its products)

#9 ·
Thanks Anthony, really helpful answer. I guess I'm just paranoid about some products that are unique to manufacturers and their phasing in and out of products. I've only heard about great things regarding the current generation of FSR Brain technology so it should be fine. Just remembered having a Cannondale with loads of headshock issues and I was kind of stuck with it and the stem.

anthony_coley said:
Shocks come in different lengths and travel, so there's no normal shock.

Please check the specs at:
http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/10/shocks/FLOAT

To answer your question, yes, you can. All you have to do is remove your shock and Brain and install a shock with the same length shock (eye-eye) and travel, and actually you don't even have to do that, but your bike not ride as designed.

Not sure why you would want to down grade ( IMO ), but it's your bike..

Good luck with whatever you do...

Oh yeah, will you send me your shock and Brain if you're not going to use it? ;)

#11 ·
Dear All. I am interested in anyone has anymore info on installing a non-specialized brain shock in an EPIC 29er.

The background is that I have just sent my brain shock off for its factory service. In Australia the turnaround on these is about a month (and $250 + shipping + labour for the service).

I am looking into options to keep my bike on the road in the mean time.

My shock has an eye to eye distance of 187 mm (or 7.36 inches) and travel of 48 mm (or 1.85 inches).

There seem to be a few other shocks out there in a 190mm by 50 mm formate. For example, DT Swiss or X Fusion). This seems incredibly close (only out by 3 mm on each measurement). Has anyone tried fitting one?

Thanks

Alexander

#17 ·
#14 ·
I'm your boy.
I originally had an 08 Stumpjumper FSR 29er with that cool Army paint job. It had a brain.
One day, about a year in, the chainstay broke on a ride. When I removed it to replace it, I discovered the frame was cracked as well. Specialized said it was a heat treat issue and gave me an 09 frame with a Fox Triad. I still wanted to use my brainshock because it works really well. They gave me an 08 chainstay for the 09 frame.
Now, what I do is run one shock and chainstay until it's time for a service and then swap on the other and get the other used shock serviced. The brain and the triad both work well. I like the brain a tiny bit better.

#19 ·
I did not like my 11' SJ FSR rear shock because it was not very plush. My Spearfish with 80mm of travel actually felt better in many cases, even with the Brain Fade left wide open. I took it in to my lbs (Concept Store) and had it s-tuned for better shock absorption. I don't think it lost much of anything on the ups and I am much happier with it on the down.

After test riding some VPP and DW bikes, I really do not think that it is the best bike for my local trails and riding style. I look forward to buying something like mach 429c in the near future, but will be keeping and upgrading the FSR as more of a Shuttle/AM bike starting with the new Pike fork because I love how it descends. The Spider Comp, Carbine, Tracer, Horsethief, and Trance x29 haven't gotten me to think twice about keeping it around for a long time to come. It would be great to gain some stiffness and drop some weight by going carbon, but the cost/return ratio isn't palatable and I actually really like it how it is.

Tl;dr- One option you also have is to go through Specialize's 'S-tune' process. Look it up, here's a start: http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf/FM0261_revC.pdf

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.