mtbr member
    May 2004

Spec'd SJ FSR 29 Comp vs Fisher HiFi Plus- Advice???

I've narrowed down my options to these two bikes and thought I'd see if any of you guys have insights that might help inform the final decision. There are a few things I'm really wondering about but any helpful comments are appreciated.

Overall, the Specialized seems to have a better spec sheet (DT rims vs Bontrager SSR; Elixir R vs Juicy 3 brakes; X9rear vs X7 rear der; X7 vs X5 shifters)

But I'm particularly wondering about the fork/shock setups:
    SJ has the 120mm Specialized Reba up front and a custom Fox Triad 130mm in the rear
    HiFi has Fox F100 RL 29 up front and a 110mm Fox Float RP2 w/pro-pedal rear shock

Anyone ride either of these bikes or have familiarity with the fork/shock from other bikes?
    Any thoughts on ride quality/geometry?

My current bike is an older GF and I did not love the Genesis geometry- I always thought the front wheel was too far away. I had read that the 2009 version of the SJ had problems with a low BB and pedal strikes (though the 2010 model went up to 338mm from 328mm last year).

Thanks for your feedback!
    happy trails, ck

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    good luck finding the specialized in stock some where

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, I was told it would be several weeks if I wanted to order.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have the HIFI PRO! Love the bike, it does have the X9 on it! Took a little bit getting used to riding, went from 26 HT to 29FS, but not looking back.

I don't care for the rim or tire set up. I have changed tires and in the next few months looking at getting stan's arch with either dt 240 or I9

I am still trying to dial in the front and rear sus. Currently the front I like pretty stiff, and the rear I lock out most of the time till the down hill section .

Just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    A better comparison would be the Epic 29er to the HiFi. 100mm front, 90mm rear, xc oriented.

Cars Are Evil
    Triad has Pro-Pedal I believe.

The FSR is getting really good reviews. Unfortunately Specialized didn't build enough of them and current estimates for availability are August.

mtbr member
    I demoed the Expert and took it over to a very rocky section in Tucson Mountain Park, and rock strikes seemed to be no more of a problem than my Motolite.

I ended up turning the brain to the lowest setting, and for me I would get the Comp without the brain, but they did not have that to demo. It climbed well, and was very lively under power. Stock "The Captain" rear tire broke loose under braking way too easy, but they had aired it up way more than it needed to be. When I left the parking lot I had to stop and let out lots of pressure in the fork and shock, and some in the tires. They had it set so I could not even push the fork down an inch, and had put around 40psi in the tires. Would like to try it where I could take some time to set it up right. All in all, a very nice bike though.

I am a little leery of the Hi Fi, because my friend had a Supercaliber and broke the swingarm on the 3rd ride, just trail riding. And the guy I sold my RIP-9 to bought it to replace a broken Supercaliber. Not sure if the Hi Fi has the same problem, but would be something to look into.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Good luck finding much in the way of any Specy or GF in stock. Uh news alert 29ers are the new IT bike for 2010. GF are sold out or long waits. If you can find your size buy it now.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prphoto
    Good luck finding much in the way of any Specy or GF in stock. Uh news alert 29ers are the new IT bike for 2010. GF are sold out or long waits. If you can find your size buy it now.
    Its amazing how under stocked these bike are. I ordered my HiFi early and got it in December. Anytime I buy a new bike I usually figure out what I want by sometime in the fall. Unfortunately, for those who want to demo and actually see the bike before they buy it usually means waiting and risking not getting a bike that they want. Crazy.

To the OP I would get either of those bikes. Would come down to availability and the LBS. I'm not friendly with any Specialized shops and get heavy discounts on Fishers so.........

Regarding the G2 geometry I didn't notice much to get used to but I have heard that G2 has been toned down over the last couple years.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.