the fat kid

Spec/Geo nerds: what trait makes this a manual/wheelie machine??

So okay, this is my ACTUAL FIRST 29" bike... yes i could make a thread about my experience, blah blah blah... but theres one thing that surprised me the most, which by the title you can guess, is the front wheel comes up WAY easier than I would have ever thought. This is the bike:

Nine Trail - Felt Bicycles

I'm a geometry nerd. I scrutinize, analyze a bikes feel with fine tooth combs... I usually took into account the chain stay length and bottom bracket height, along with possibly seat tube angle to determine how a bike will manual or wheelie. I've heard.............that two niners are super planted, climb like rabid goats and suck to pull the front wheel up. Well, this isnt the case. Its actually JUST like some of my aggressive 26" bikes, in that you have to get over the front more to keep it down than i'd expect on pounding climbs. It also will effortlessly, or so it seems, manual up over bumps/roots as my riding style is, to clear different trail features. So, I'm wondering what experienced 29" riders have to say about this trait and why it might be so. I'm overall fairly surprised on how it handles, despite it being entry level and mainstream(chinese clunker). Thanks!
    I ride faster than I should.

mtbr member
    Um, I'm guessing it has mostly to do with the rider .

Keep pedaling
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead313 View Post
    I usually took into account the chain stay length and bottom bracket height, along with possibly seat tube angle to determine how a bike will manual or wheelie.
    You should also consider:

Handlebar position (handlebar height and fore/aft position). The 3 inch bigger wheel will make the bars 3 inches higher if everything else is the same.

And maybe the seatpost has more setback than you are used to.

the fat kid
    the top tube is around an inch longer than I like... it is a 71* seat tube by my measurement static. I kind of get the bar height, but everything else is the same? stack/reach ?

Didnt see the geo listed on the site you linked so just going off how it looks and other niner bikes... it appears to be a short chainstay and the seat seems to be set pretty far back.

You have bought a "flickable" style geo bike. It will ride more like a 26.
    "Bigring, that's deep. ...Well, I suspect it is. I didn't read it."

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    You should also consider:

Handlebar position (handlebar height and fore/aft position). The 3 inch bigger wheel will make the bars 3 inches higher if everything else is the same.

And maybe the seatpost has more setback than you are used to.
    The height will only change by 1.5 inches at the most depending on tire and fork choices. You have to use the radius, not diameter, of the wheel.

Regardless, factors can be many. Gearing, seat angle, stem length, new bike stoke...etc

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Probably mostly cockpit setup.
    Try a shorter stem, also try a higher handlebar position, more upright position.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    Um, I'm guessing it has mostly to do with the rider .
    I put a lot into the rider as well. You can probably adapt to make the bike do what you want it to do. Although some geometries will favor X style, the rider has to be able to use the features of the bike to achieve what they want it to do. You known the "It is the rider that makes the bike fast; not the bike that makes the rider fast" idea.

mtbr member

Spec/Geo nerds: what trait makes this a manual/wheelie machine??

Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    Pretty sure that increase in bar height would only be 1.5"

(Oops...just saw somebody else brought this up)

SPP
    Rigid.

the fat kid
    The geometry is in the webpage, just click the bike geo tab.

17.5" chain stays isnt short IMO... and a low BB?? Doesnt add up. I"m wondering if the seat tube angle has to do with it...

I know you kind of adapt your riding style to the bike youre riding, but this bike cant be like any thing else. It actually kind of sucks on steeper climbs, just gets the front wheel light constantly. I sure do try to get over the front bars too... which makes me think that lowering the front end height would help, but not necessarily cure it. I also do get that the bike is generally higher off the ground to my butt and hands, by the 1.5"... So if I took any bike and put riser bars and jacked the seat up that it would behave similarly? ...maybe its worth a scientific experiment!