I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Some quick saddle time on an FSR Stumpy 29er

I got out in the monsoons to ride a Stumpy 29er FSR Expert this week. Riding around the trails of old Fort Ord and part of the Laguna Seca course was no real test of the bike, but it was all the wet conditions would allow.

Still, it was fun bike to ride and certainly has a different flavor than the Epic I have been riding lately. I mention that because I think some are wondering which bike is for them - Stumpy FSR or Epic. Even I was wondering that. I hope to have one for a better review at some point but I can see why the folks that live in tougher terrain are loving 29ers that hit the 5" travel mark. Pretty darn hero feeling in chunky stuff.

More thoughts later on the Epic vs Stumpy...I will post the link.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some quick saddle time on an FSR Stumpy 29er-p1200140.jpg  

Some quick saddle time on an FSR Stumpy 29er-p1200148.jpg  

Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Cars Are Evil
    I'd love to hear people's impressions of the Stumpjumper. There's not much info out there yet.

Bite Me.
    Nice looking bike, but I utterly despise the Brain.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Really? Why? Bad experience from the past or...
    Blog Ramblings

Bite Me.
    Yes - every one I've ridden was "chunky", but I guess they have it more sorted out now. I don't use much platform, usually ride with the RP23 in off position, so no need for a Brain.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Yes - every one I've ridden was "chunky", but I guess they have it more sorted out now. I don't use much platform, usually ride with the RP23 in off position, so no need for a Brain.
    Ah, I can see that. The Epic feels much more that way than the FSR did and even that can be pretty much erased at the cost of a loss of platform effect. But I run in PP 90% of the time on my 3.0 Lev, so we are coming from two different perspectives for sure.

I have read that the new Brains are smoother coming off and on then the old ones, but I can't say that for sure.
    Blog Ramblings

Cars Are Evil
    How susceptible is the Brain to problems with mud and general wet mayhem?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    How susceptible is the Brain to problems with mud and general wet mayhem?
    I put a condom over mine made from the cut off finger of a latex glove. Without the condom it collects grit under the dial and becomes increasingly difficult to adjust, and eventually impossible without a disassembly and cleaning. I have the previous version of the brain. It isn't bad but it isn't brilliant. If you're a compulsive tinkerer it gives you something to experiment with. Gotta say though the FSR is a cool looking bike. Wish I could ride mine (too much ice and mud).
    Last edited by esXso; 01-22-2010 at 06:17 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Coming from an 2008 Enduro SL, the 2010 SJ FSR 29er is an awesome machine, stock. I love my SJ FSR 29er, you will love yours too..The brain works. Get it, get it set and forget about it.

This place needs an enema
    Nice looking bike rack, but I utterly despise the company that makes the bikes.