mtbr member
    May 2013

SOMA Juice vs Salsa El Mariachi?

Okay, so I'm switching things up. Either going to buy a built El Mariachi 2 or build up a SOMA Juice. I've read great things about the Juice, but I've never ridden one.

Any experience with the new frame? Better riding frame than the El Mariachi?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I don't have experience with the new/redesigned Juice, but I did own an older Juice (but still built with Tange tubes) for several years. I owned an El Mariachi (maybe a 2010 or 2011) for a few months. I liked the Juice much better. I've ridden and owned many steel 29er frames and the Juice had the smoothest ride, by far. That said, the Juice has very neutral geometry - not real steep angles, not slack, not long chainstays, but not short either. I found it to ride smooth and stable. I never did warm up to the el Mar - not sure why, it just didn't work for me.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    I had a 2nd gen Juice (the green one with the sliding dropouts), and I have to second everything LBIkid said above: exceptionally smooth, with neutral handling.

I don't have any experience with the El Mar.

mtbr member
    I only briefly test rode the Salsa but got the impression that the El mar is stiffer riding and racier feeling than the Juice. If that's what you want, there's nothing wrong with it of course. For me the Soma is a better choice. (I too have one of the last gen green ones, set up SS) I really like that it (the Juice) is spec'd with size-adjusted tubesets. I think that's one of the reasons it rides so nicely.

mtbr member
    Even though I really like SOMA Fab products, I think the El Mariachi is the way to go. To me they are two completely different bikes and if you want something "racy-ish" the El Mariachi is the racier of the two.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHaq View Post
    Even though I really like SOMA Fab products, I think the El Mariachi is the way to go. To me they are two completely different bikes and if you want something "racy-ish" the El Mariachi is the racier of the two.
    Thanks for the feedback! Interesting about the handling. The two have identical geometry, which leads me to believe that the tubing is responsible for the racier feel of the El Mariachi and the smoother feel of the SOMA.

Also looking at the specs, the SOMA has a shorter wheel base, so technically it should feel a bit quicker in the turns...

BTW, I only weigh 140 lbs and I'll be riding a large in either bike. I currently ride a 1992 Bridgestone MB-4 with basic Tange cro-mo tubing. It definitely doesn't have a buttery ride, but it's smoother than AL.

mtbr member
    Especially as a light but taller person, I would steer you towards the Soma. The El Mar might be considerably too stiff for you.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm leaning toward the SOMA. Think I'll start with a steel fork, too. Time to shop eBay for parts...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So, my dad's looking to get a new bike (Mountain) so this means I get to sweep in for a deal on a 2011 Salsa El Mariachi! Everything about this bike is excellent in my perspective. If you have any questions about it feel free to give me a halla

Cody

mtbr member
    The V2 Fargo fork makes a nice complement to the Soma frame: