Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Soma Juice build

31K views 121 replies 35 participants last post by  kikoraa 
#1 ·
After months of gathering parts, I should have everything else in next week to build up this frame. It'll be a 1X9 setup. I'll post pics when it's done. Parts include:

Manitou Tower Pro fork 80mm
Easton EA90 wheelset
Easton EC70 wide bars
Easton EC70 seatpost
Easton EA90 stem
E13 SS XC cranks
Eggbeater pedals
Kenda Smallblock 8 tires
Hayes Trail brakes
SRAM X9 shifter+ rear der.
SRAM PG-990 9sp cassette
E13 XCX BB mount chain guide

See less See more
#13 ·
I've it rode in Golden a couple of times, 3 days in Fruita, over to Salida and around my area in Summit County on trails that are actually dry so far. Pretty damn happy with it. And one more thing....these wheels can take a beating. I'm 200# and have pushed them pretty hard. This frame with these wheels.....hell yea!

#22 ·
Quick question for you... Do you think this frame is a little too flexy for a single speed? I have ridden a juice geared before and it rode nice and smooth. I am considering a soma juice for my next build (which will be SS) and need to decide between a juice or a Surly Karate Monkey.

#23 ·
I don't think so at all.
I've ridden a few steel frames (all SS & rigid) and the Juice is BY FAR the best riding frame I've been on.
KM is a great frame for a lot of things, but for SS XC riding it doesn't hold a candle to the Juice, IMO. To me the KM felt clunky & harsh in comparison.
*edit*
woops... i realized after i posted this that the question wasn't meant for me, but now you have my opinion whether you want it or not. :smilewinkgrin:

#25 ·
My experience echoes Melting Feather's, exactly. I too have ridden quite a few steel frames and after trying the Juice, I stopped looking. That said, it works for me and my riding style. I'm not a lightweight, 180 lbs or so and a finesse type rider.

I had a KM and really liked it. Just a little harsh for me. My .02 cents.

#27 ·
I have a ss Juice...

and it rides very nice w 32x20 set up. I went 34x20 and noticed a lot more frame flex when climbing. I am 6ft 2in and 250 lbs though, so may not be an issue for smaller guys. Its a great, smoothing riding xc frame. Especially for the money.
Waaaay smoother than the KM which is very harsh for a steel frame. Every magazine reviewer has noted the harsh ride. Only people on this forum that own the KM seem not to notice it.

#30 ·
Waaaay smoother than the KM which is very harsh for a steel frame. Every magazine reviewer has noted the harsh ride. Only people on this forum that own the KM seem not to notice it.
:skep: Hasty Generalization Alert! Sound the Alarms.....Launch the Fleet.:crazy::eek:ut:

Reactions: meltingfeather
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.