Maxxis Aspen Tires
    FSA V Drive w/ FSA BB
    CB Mallets

---->Fat Bike Fenders & More
    Salsa Mukluk | Salsa El Mariachi | Salsa Spearfish
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So? How does it ride? Looks awesome. Love the green.

shut up legs
    rides great..set up as a 34x17
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

mtbr member

Again, I did not "generalize"...

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    I'm sure it is discernible. I could tell the difference between my Redline Monocog Flight and KM when ridden back to back, but the difference is more than the tubesets. The KM is stiff if you define it that way. Problem is the artificial 'stiff' scale is applied differently by each individual...stiff to a 135lb Cat 1 guy is not stiff to me at 210lbs.

I should have been more 'discerning' in my contextual grab. Hasty generalization referred to the generalized statements below, not his stated opinion:

I don't discount his experience and am not offended if people don't like the KM. It's irrelevant to me and my bike preferences. For the record, I have a 2009 Soma DoubleCross in the garage that I love. I chose it over the Surly CrossCheck for several reasons (irrelevant to the discussion, but relevant to the underlying inference of Surly bias). I chose my 2008 KM over the Juice for several reasons (ETT too short and ST too short, not a dislike for the Juice). Both fit what I wanted in a bike better than the other options.

I will also say that (I suspect the remarks were in jest) buying a bike doesn't 'make' someone better, training and mindset do. I can walk into my LBS and buy a Trek Madone, but I won't walk out Lance Armstrong
    I read at least 3 or 4 reviews of KM's in bike mags. Every one of them commented on the harshness of the ride. One went as far as saying "it did not feel like a steel bike" or something to that effect. Similar things have been said about the KM fork too. So no generalization, just pointing out what others have said. My experiences are the same. It handles nicely, but is too harsh imho. Others agree, some do not. Such is life. So don't get your panties in a bunch. You can do a Google search and read those same reviews for yourself.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member

That is one sweet ride...

Quote Originally Posted by MTSHANK View Post
    rides great..set up as a 34x17
    Love the color!. 34x17?, thats no joke. I am running 34x20 on my Juice and my Soukri. The Juice feels flexy running 34x20 to me. How does 34x17 feel to you and how much do you weigh?.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

shut up legs
    34x17 is simply perfect for most applications...I raced it on Short Track this year..current weight 172
    I am not afraid to walk it if the hill is to tall for the gear...I like to pedal and a 20 is simply to short of a gear for me
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

mtbr member
    34x17 is simply perfect for most applications...I raced it on Short Track this year..current weight 172
    I am not afraid to walk it if the hill is to tall for the gear...I like to pedal and a 20 is simply to short of a gear for me
    Thanks for the info. I just moved up from 32x20 and thought it was tough going to 34x20 on the Juice. I weigh 250 and get a fair amount of bb flex when climbing on the Soma. The Soukri is stiffer in the bb and 34x20 has been much better. 34x17 is something for me to work towards. Especially after seeing how much faster 34x20 is than 32x20.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

This is NOT a good line

34x17: That's a MAN's gearing

Where do you ride? I'm in the piedmont of NC (Charlotte),and that is considered a really tall gear, even for this area. I'm riding 32x18 on my Juice; that and 32x19 are the most common that I see in this area.
    Quote from MADSS: "Remember, single speed riding is actually 3 speed riding - sitting, standing and walking"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looks like they redesigned the Juice or something? I dont see the head tube gusset.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Wait nevermind... Now I saw that you said it was a Juice that you repainted.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

transmitter~receiver
    34:17 is TALL!
    don't like walkin'
    33:18/19 for me
    sub-20 lb. juice pr0n:

Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

This is NOT a good line

Sub 20 lb Juice build

Meltingfeather, that is a reality nice build; amazing to have a sub 20 lb steel frame bike. Mine tilts the scale at 26, but I did build it for a 210 clyde
    Quote from MADSS: "Remember, single speed riding is actually 3 speed riding - sitting, standing and walking"

mtbr member

Sweet Juice....

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    34:17 is TALL!
    don't like walkin'
    33:18/19 for me
    sub-20 lb. juice pr0n:

What does a sub 20lb bike feel like on the trails and when climbing?. Does it bounce around more while descending at speed on techy terrain?. I cannot even imagine a bike that light!.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by KitJ BBQman View Post
    Meltingfeather, that is a reality nice build; amazing to have a sub 20 lb steel frame bike. Mine tilts the scale at 26, but I did build it for a 210 clyde
    Thanks
    I weigh 210... and it feels plenty solid... she's a blast to ride.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    What does a sub 20lb bike feel like on the trails and when climbing?. Does it bounce around more while descending at speed on techy terrain?. I cannot even imagine a bike that light!.
    thanks... it feels great... just goes where i want her to.. confidently.
    i don't feel like it's jittery at all, but i did move from ~740(+)g tires (Geax AKAs & Bontrager XDX TLR) to the 530g Stan's Raven 2.2s and it feels a bit easier to move around (picked up a few psi to keep the same feel). The Stan's tires grip surprisingly well for not having much tread. I have always liked small-knob tires, and our climate is drought punctuated by flash flooding... so i don't do any wet riding to speak of unless it happens to be on a race day and i can't avoid it. mostly rocky and gravel-over-hardpack central texas xc with short, steep climbing and roots and sand as you head east.
    Getting to sub-20 surprised me too. I'm not a super weight weenie, but I like nice parts. The tires made the difference. All the other parts I feel are worthy (yes, even 355s under a SSmasher clyde... that's the second wheelset those rims have been in and I built the first set about two years ago). It's kind of scary to think I could drop 2.5-3 lbs. out of the frame.
    I know we've got some 'monkey fans here... I just didn't like it personally and the Juice is the best riding steel HT I've been on. Different strokes, I guess.

shut up legs
    nice build..mine was that color until I had to do some filet brazing on the seat stays...

the orange turned out great and it's a blast to ride
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

transmitter~receiver
    the orange turned out great and it's a blast to ride
    agreed... the one-off/custom appeal is nice too.
    i dig the badge as well... i almost got the new adhesive badge for mine, but just never pulled the trigger.

mtbr member

Thanks for the info....

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    thanks... it feels great... just goes where i want her to.. confidently.
    i don't feel like it's jittery at all, but i did move from ~740(+)g tires (Geax AKAs & Bontrager XDX TLR) to the 530g Stan's Raven 2.2s and it feels a bit easier to move around (picked up a few psi to keep the same feel). The Stan's tires grip surprisingly well for not having much tread. I have always liked small-knob tires, and our climate is drought punctuated by flash flooding... so i don't do any wet riding to speak of unless it happens to be on a race day and i can't avoid it. mostly rocky and gravel-over-hardpack central texas xc with short, steep climbing and roots and sand as you head east.
    Getting to sub-20 surprised me too. I'm not a super weight weenie, but I like nice parts. The tires made the difference. All the other parts I feel are worthy (yes, even 355s under a SSmasher clyde... that's the second wheelset those rims have been in and I built the first set about two years ago). It's kind of scary to think I could drop 2.5-3 lbs. out of the frame.
    I know we've got some 'monkey fans here... I just didn't like it personally and the Juice is the best riding steel HT I've been on. Different strokes, I guess.
    It sounds like it rides like a Juice!, lol. One thing that always amazed me about the Juice is how smooth it rides. I remember a thread where the ride was compared favorably to the Niner M.C.R. by several posters that had owned both. Also, it tracks so well on steep climbs. The front does not wander at all and its so controlled going down. Minus 4lbs and that is one hell of a bike. Mine is about 23.5 lbs. A lot of bike for the money imho. Yes there are some KM fans here as there should be. I say more power to them. If they like the KM then good for them. If everyone liked and rode the same bike this would be one boring forum!, lol.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

shut up legs
    Quote Originally Posted by KitJ BBQman View Post
    Where do you ride? I'm in the piedmont of NC (Charlotte),and that is considered a really tall gear, even for this area. I'm riding 32x18 on my Juice; that and 32x19 are the most common that I see in this area.
    Pacific NW - Oregon/Washington mainly
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

shut up legs
    actually the gearing is 34x16...just checked, it's funny how you forget things
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Love that green - I have a grey one (which actually has some purplish tones to it), getting tempted to build a second Juice looking at these photos.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Juice w/ WB Carbon

It's been awhile since I have ridden this but here's mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soma Juice build-29er-006.jpg  

Soma Juice build-29er-008.jpg  

This is NOT a good line
    So, if you are not riding this beautiful specimen of a bike, what are you riding?

This is NOT a good line

More Bling on the Juice

I added a little more bling to the Juice with some gold braided hydro hoses and a gold chain.

**edit** I guess I still haven't posted enough to be able to post pix

This is NOT a good line
    *this is a filler post so I can post pix*

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast