Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    How do you think it would handle with a 39mm offset Reba up front?
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

mtbr member

I have a ss Juice...

and it rides very nice w 32x20 set up. I went 34x20 and noticed a lot more frame flex when climbing. I am 6ft 2in and 250 lbs though, so may not be an issue for smaller guys. Its a great, smoothing riding xc frame. Especially for the money.
    Waaaay smoother than the KM which is very harsh for a steel frame. Every magazine reviewer has noted the harsh ride. Only people on this forum that own the KM seem not to notice it.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

shut up legs
    getting ready to finally build up my Soma Juice
    Salsa Mukluk | Salsa Fargo | Surly Krampus
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
    I was trying to decide between karate monkey or juice, after seeing yours I think I'll go for the juice.
    I want to go rigid since I'll won't be riding very technical trails.
    Nice kit you used to build it up.
    Ended up going for a Karate Monkey because of the tighter geo and slightly lighter.
    Went 1x10x36 Shimano dyno system. BB7 disc and Kenda Small block 8. Pace carbon rigid fork.
    At present using Mary bars but waiting on some Titec H Jones bars.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    Waaaay smoother than the KM which is very harsh for a steel frame. Every magazine reviewer has noted the harsh ride. Only people on this forum that own the KM seem not to notice it.
    Hasty Generalization Alert! Sound the Alarms.....Launch the Fleet.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    I've ridden both... and it sounds like edouble has too. The difference is easily discernible. Why don't you take both frames for a spin before you hastily discount the opinions of people who have?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The green frame looks sick, nice bike!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    I've ridden both... and it sounds like edouble has too. The difference is easily discernible. Why don't you take both frames for a spin before you hastily discount the opinions of people who have?
    I've ridden both too. I had the Soma first and then built up the KM. My Soma was the Tange Prestige version (one of the reasons I bought it). It felt blah too me.
    The KM on the other hand had a very similar feel to my Tange Prestige Stumpjumper, and could better handle the tight New England singletrack I typically ride.
    I weigh 135 pounds so it's hard to understand how larger guys feel the KM is harsh unless they use a completely different spec on the tubeset.

*edit*
    Oh yeah, and I've raced them both too. I've had the most success on the KM of all the frames I've raced.
    Last edited by CB2; 07-09-2011 at 05:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    I've ridden both too. I had the Soma first and then built up the KM. My Soma was the Tange Prestige version (one of the reasons I bought it). It felt blah too me.
    The KM on the other hand had a very similar feel to my Tange Prestige Stumpjumper, and could better handle the tight New England singletrack I typically ride.
    I weigh 135 pounds so it's hard to understand how larger guys feel the KM is harsh unless they use a completely different spec on the tubeset.
    Hey CB, I really , really like my KM ... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...21888#poststop

transmitter~receiver

*edit*
    Oh yeah, and I've raced them both too. I've had the most success on the KM of all the frames I've raced.
    Interesting. Different strokes I guess.
    What does racing have to do with it? I won the state ss championship on a Juice this year, so it must be better.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    What does racing have to do with it?
    Something "clunky & harsh in comparison" wouldn't be very good for racing.

I won the state ss championship on a Juice this year, so it must be better.
    Since you threw down the gauntlet, so did I...but cat1.

transmitter~receiver
    Something "clunky & harsh in comparison" wouldn't be very good for racing.
    it wouldn't be to me, since I'm the guy that thinks that. Racing or not, I just didn't like the ride.
    It obviously works for you, whether racing or not, I don't understand why you think racing makes a difference in whether you like a bike or not, but it doesn't matter.
    It was a joke, not throwing down the gauntlet. Nice goin though.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 07-10-2011 at 02:31 PM.

transmitter~receiver
    now i remember... aren't you the guy that said "that's so last week" or something when i posted up that i won and was stoked? with a link to your blahg or something?
    now you're trying to one-up me when all you had to do was finish both of the two races in the "series" to win?
    nice goin'
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 07-10-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Expert Crasher
    I'm sure it is discernible. I could tell the difference between my Redline Monocog Flight and KM when ridden back to back, but the difference is more than the tubesets. The KM is stiff if you define it that way. Problem is the artificial 'stiff' scale is applied differently by each individual...stiff to a 135lb Cat 1 guy is not stiff to me at 210lbs.

I should have been more 'discerning' in my contextual grab. Hasty generalization referred to the generalized statements below, not his stated opinion:

Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    Every magazine reviewer has noted the harsh ride. Only people on this forum that own the KM seem not to notice it.
    I don't discount his experience and am not offended if people don't like the KM. It's irrelevant to me and my bike preferences. For the record, I have a 2009 Soma DoubleCross in the garage that I love. I chose it over the Surly CrossCheck for several reasons (irrelevant to the discussion, but relevant to the underlying inference of Surly bias). I chose my 2008 KM over the Juice for several reasons (ETT too short and ST too short, not a dislike for the Juice). Both fit what I wanted in a bike better than the other options.

I will also say that (I suspect the remarks were in jest) buying a bike doesn't 'make' someone better, training and mindset do. I can walk into my LBS and buy a Trek Madone, but I won't walk out Lance Armstrong
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

transmitter~receiver
    I'm sure it is discernible. I could tell the difference between my Redline Monocog Flight and KM when ridden back to back, but the difference is more than the tubesets. The KM is stiff if you define it that way. Problem is the artificial 'stiff' scale is applied differently by each individual...stiff to a 135lb Cat 1 guy is not stiff to me at 210lbs.

I should have been more 'discerning' in my contextual grab. Hasty generalization referred to the generalized statements below, not his stated opinion:

I don't discount his experience and am not offended if people don't like the KM. It's irrelevant to me and my bike preferences. For the record, I have a 2009 Soma DoubleCross in the garage that I love. I chose it over the Surly CrossCheck for several reasons (irrelevant to the discussion, but relevant to the underlying inference of Surly bias). I chose my 2008 KM over the Juice for several reasons (ETT too short and ST too short, not a dislike for the Juice). Both fit what I wanted in a bike better than the other options.

I will also say that (I suspect the remarks were in jest) buying a bike doesn't 'make' someone better, training and mindset do. I can walk into my LBS and buy a Trek Madone, but I won't walk out Lance Armstrong
    you are FAR too reasonable. + rep for you.

This is NOT a good line
    Love the Candy Apple Green color. That build looks very similar to my Juice; just finished it up two weeks ago. Wish I had gotten the white brakes though, they look good. I agree with all about the ride quality; I have an On-One Inbred 29er and it doesn't feel as smooth as the Juice.

***edit*** I tried to post pix, but haven't posted enough yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    For Kit, since he's local and he's benefitted from my bike obsession...(Dad2TnR)

Enjoy the ride!

This is NOT a good line
    Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
    For Kit, since he's local and he's benefitted from my bike obsession...(Dad2TnR)
    Thanks, dude!

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
    nice!
    that candy apple color is growing on me. at first i really didn't like it, but it looks great with white. i'm still sticking with my midnight silver... unless they happen to offer the juice in that new bluish color that the B Side comes in. HAWT!

mtbr member
    Mark, where are your gears?? (KennyO on TTB)
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

This is NOT a good line
    Quote Originally Posted by kvojr View Post
    Mark, where are your gears?? (KennyO on TTB)
    Wow, a lot of you TTB guys are over here.
    Quote from MADSS: "Remember, single speed riding is actually 3 speed riding - sitting, standing and walking"

mtbr member

Just saw this and your right...

*edit*
    My Soma is Reynolds 631, not Tange Prestige. I am over 100lbs heavier than you (6ft 2in tall, do not know how tall you are) as well so our experiences could never be the same. That being said, the KM handles really well, but to me is waaaay harsh compared to other steel frames I have ridden. I have been riding steel exclusively since I started riding in (6 months on an alu Giant ht) 2000 and have owned about 8 different frames and ridden many others. I know a Clyde thats really fast who loves his KM more than his custom Soulcraft Option 3 26er so it really depends on personal preference more than anything else.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member

I had to laugh when I finally saw this....

My personal experience can never be equated with a "generalization". As for "hasty", do you have any idea how much experience I have riding both?. Of course you do not, so in reality its you that is being hasty. Some time with a dictionary is in order here. Also, your response tells me that you are a wee bit tender, or should I say SOFT.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

shut up legs

Sneak Peek

Salsa Mukluk | Salsa Fargo | Surly Krampus
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

mtbr member

What is that?....

Quote Originally Posted by mtshank View Post
    do tell!