mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Sold my Wahoo! Let the search for a new bike begin!

Well, I'm going to be completely honest here. I hated my Trek Wahoo. I don't think it was anything in particular about the bike other than I went to cheap and I was afraid to brake it. Which kind of downs the whole riding experience.

Luckily enough, one of my neighbors made a comment on the bike earlier today and I actually was able to scrap $525 back of my original $600 investment (about $80 worth of accessories too).

So it may be a month or two because I took that money and bought a bowflex (gotta work out in the winter somehow up north!)

I'm not looking for a full suspension, carbon fiber, weight weenie $6000+ bike. But want to stick in the $1500 range.

I've been drooling over this bike for awhile and right now I think it is towards the top of my list. I'm a bit worried because I am a Clyde and I don't know how that would work with titanium

SRAM X9, 3x10 Speed 29er Titanium Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2013 Motobecane Fantom Titanium 29er | SRAM X9 hardtail mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

I am for sure looking to get another hard tail. Something that I can use universally though weather it be on the dirt trails or pavement for commuting (am I too picky?)

So.... if anyone knows of a good bike in the $1500 range (less would be great if there is a deal!) let me know. And someone please let me know if titanium does not mix with being a clyde... I just assume that titanium is stronger than aluminum???

banned
    Apr 2009
    Why not look at TREKS again? They seems to have the best offerings (and warranty at your price range)-----ALSO (my experience with TREKS) has been that the geometry feels more like a 26er to me--just more natural feeling when riding them. Other manufacturers felt too steep, etc..

You could probably pick up a 2010-11 Paragon if you can find one at a shop for that price...

But I would not order a bike before you rode it (sizes and geometries differ between brands)---I rode someones Paragon first to see how components worked and bike felt (then went to dealers for Trek, etc to see exactly what size I would need)--then ordered a frame 3 years ago and built a bike (but would not have ordered a frame OR bike before I did all that.) Unless they would not charge you for return shipping (and give a FULL refund!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Go with the Ti Fantom. Save 100 and order before 3rd. A titanium bike with a Reba and good components in your price range will beat anything else, by Trek, Cannondale, Specialized or Scott.
    I would put these fast grippy tires at 25-30psi on immediately and ride it. That price is the best.
    Schwalbe 29X2.25 RACING RALPH PERF BLK 26-54 PSI, 610 GRAMS, 67 EPI