mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Snow Summit, Ca. Will my bike do?

Going up to Snow Summit tomorrow. First time there! Will my Carbon Rockstar 29er with 120mm of travel suffice, or am I going to be limited? Would like to try all the trails. Should I just fork out the extra $$$ and rent a long travel bike?

mtbr member
    Dont live in Cali no more, but I used to ride my FS 100mm GT Idrive 4 there a few years ago. It was just fine. Granted its not the same as long travel bike. I do remember a good amount of pedaling on top of the mountain. However I am sure the trails have improved greatly over the past 6 years. Back then some of the trails were pretty damn hairy on a 4" bike.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    It depends on where you're going to ride. If doing the lift runs from the top I'd recommend a more DH oriented bike as the trails are rough and loose, but not too technical. If you're riding other trails in the area and/or climbing your 29er will be fine.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Rough and loose should be OK as it is what I usually ride but jumps are out. I guess I should have being more on point with my question. Maybe renting is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If your riding the trails and fireroads around Snow Summit, and there are plenty of trails and roads, your bike will be fine. If your planning on riding the lift serviced trail on SS, I recommend renting a bike.
    I've ridden the bike park on my SC Blur XCc 27.5 bike, but a longer travel would be alot better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well rode my big wheels down Miracle Mile, and it was not a good idea. Took 2 good tumbles Where I just couldn't manage the fast turns (switchberms). Moved on to easier trails for the rest of the day. Will use a more appropriate ride when my skill improves.Fun place to go ride. I hope they develop more trails there. I think I was the only nutjob with a cross country 29er trying this trail...lol. That should of told me something!

mtbr member
    I was up there saturday on my 100mm travel superlight with v-brakes. Only went down twice, but I scared the heck outta myself many times on the Miracle Mile and we only rode it once. We rode the rest of the mountain the rest of the day. Glad to see I wasn't the only one rocking the xc bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes, that chute is definitely not CX 29er territory! Took 2 hard@ss falls. One was very scary! Landed on a rocky area with big thick branches. The 2 guys that were kind enough to help me get out said it best...." lots of potential for serious injury". Should of tried it 1 more time , but honestly my huevos shrank..lol. Next time I'm renting a rig.

mtbr member
    Good for you getting up there on it. My buddy tagged along when we did Summit a few weeks ago. He was passing guys and almost keeping up with us, and he was on a 29er Single Speed HT. He got a good workout and had me wishing I left my squishy bike at home that day. Adds a whole new level to the trails up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis M. View Post
    Well rode my big wheels down Miracle Mile, and it was not a good idea. Took 2 good tumbles Where I just couldn't manage the fast turns (switchberms). Moved on to easier trails for the rest of the day. Will use a more appropriate ride when my skill improves.Fun place to go ride. I hope they develop more trails there. I think I was the only nutjob with a cross country 29er trying this trail...lol. That should of told me something!
    Have at it!