Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58
  1. #1
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,445

    Small Long travel 29ers?

    Must have 5 inches+ travel and 22.5 inch EFTT. What else besides the rumblefish?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slowrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,691

    Tracer 29

    22.5 TT, I have one and it's pretty awsome, Foes has one with a 22.7 top tube and I think I'm going to change over to the Shaver 29 due to past experiences with Foes.

  3. #3
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    532
    The RIP9 has 5.5" with the 140mm fork and 23.3" TT length in the small frame. I just bought a large with the Talas fork and can drop it down to 110mm of travel for the long climbs.

  4. #4
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    The RIP9 has 5.5" with the 140mm fork and 23.3" TT length in the small frame. I just bought a large with the Talas fork and can drop it down to 110mm of travel for the long climbs.
    That's almost an inch too long. 22.5 is the max length we can work with. Or at least very close.
    Last edited by Jwind; 11-23-2012 at 08:46 PM.

  5. #5
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    That's almost an inch too long. 22.5 is the max length we can work with. Or at least very close.
    Not sure how EFTT compares to TT length, but on Niner's site, that measurement is from the seat post to the head tube.

  6. #6
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    Not sure how EFTT compares to TT length, but on Niner's site, that measurement is from the seat post to the head tube.
    That's EFTT (EFfective Top Tube) length. Actual TT length is really a meaningless measurement and generally isn't posted on manufactures websites.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,317
    Transition Covert 29er

    Small 21.2" Medium 22.2"

  8. #8
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,946
    eff. TT on 29'ers is total grab-bag, due to the slack seat tubes typically used to create tire clearance without increasing chainstay length.

    I would look at the medium Transition Bandit 29'er. Feels a half or full size smaller than my medium Prime (23" ETT) with the same build.

  9. #9
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,174
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    The RIP9 has 5.5" with the 140mm fork and 23.3" TT length in the small frame. I just bought a large with the Talas fork and can drop it down to 110mm of travel for the long climbs.
    Hi the Rip9 is 4.5 inch,

    The WFO is 5.5 inch

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freighttrain48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    170

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    874
    Turner made 25 size small Sultans.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: antonio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,928

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rollinrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post

    I am 5'4 on a really good day and this bike fit bette rthan any other 29er I have tried, great standover and fits like a glove. It a very sweet ride.

  14. #14
    Dudette
    Reputation: petey15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
    I am 5'4 on a really good day and this bike fit bette rthan any other 29er I have tried, great standover and fits like a glove. It a very sweet ride.
    Ditto! This bike was the first full-suspension 29er that truly fit (I also own a Misfit Dissent, but that's a SS hardtail). I love everything about the Trance X 29er and the confidence it has given me. You should definitely put it on your short list.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    262

  16. #16
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBM View Post
    This:

    Frames
    Just a thought, but posting geo on your website is a very helpful to the consumer

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hetsekr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    23
    good luck

  18. #18
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by hetsekr View Post
    good luck
    Umm, thanks ?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,532
    Is 23.1 to long? If not Santa Cruz Tallbot LT
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  20. #20
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Is 23.1 to long? If not Santa Cruz Tallbot LT
    Sadly, I think so. :/

  21. #21
    Trail Junkie
    Reputation: dubdryver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,071
    If he's 5'4, he's not going to fit into a 23.5" TT, unless he's got a longer torso in proportion.
    I did a bike fit recently for a guy that is 5'4 and we ended up having to go with a 50mm stem
    and the saddle is all the way forward on the rails. This was on a small EMD (23.2 ETT). It wasn't an
    optimal fit, but that's the bike he built. I would have thought my TBc as a medium would have fit him better.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

    Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

  22. #22
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    If he's 5'4, he's not going to fit into a 23.5" TT, unless he's got a longer torso in proportion.
    I did a bike fit recently for a guy that is 5'4 and we ended up having to go with a 50mm stem
    and the saddle is all the way forward on the rails. This was on a small EMD (23.2 ETT). It wasn't an
    optimal fit, but that's the bike he built. I would have thought my TBc as a medium would have fit him better.
    Well, it's for my fiance but you are totally right.

  23. #23
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Well, it's for my fiance but you are totally right.
    How hard does she ride ?

    My wife is on a small Jet9 RDO, 5'3 & just loves it, I ride 1 to & it can hanle the ruff very well for a 100mm travel bike & it is light & pedals awesome.

    Maybe have a look at a Jet9 Carbon as a silghtly cheaper option.

    They also make it in a XS

  24. #24
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    How hard does she ride ?

    My wife is on a small Jet9 RDO, 5'3 & just loves it, I ride 1 to & it can hanle the ruff very well for a 100mm travel bike & it is light & pedals awesome.

    Maybe have a look at a Jet9 Carbon as a silghtly cheaper option.

    They also make it in a XS
    We live in Moab. I'm starting to get concerned about it exploding .

    Seriously, I think she'd like a little more travel and I'm just not sure we want to pony up for the carbon to get the XS which is really what she's after.

  25. #25
    Trail Junkie
    Reputation: dubdryver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Well, it's for my fiance but you are totally right.
    Believe it or not, my ex-gf (gf at the time) was in the same situation...but she is racing and on a carbon Niner HT..thats how I knew quickly kind how the fit was going to be. She's 5'4' on a small RDO...The XS's weren't available at the time.

    Just out of curiosity, what kind of budget are you on for a frame? Companies like Vantana do custom.
    El Rey | Ventana Mountain Bikes USA

    Along with Lenz Sports...

    Also, the Banshee Prime (140mm travel) medium has a 22.8" TT. This coupled with a short stem, zero post, and some bars that have a decent sweep may be the ticket.
    Banshee Prime: All Mountain
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

    Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •