Go make a difference

New question here. SlingShot Farmboy: anyone riding one???

So I've been looking at the Slingshot Farmboy for awhile and have spent some time talking / emailing the guys up in Michigan. Btw, they've been great to talk with and have offered to send me a bike to demo -- great guys! I'm just wanting some feedback from folks who are riding them. Tell me what you think of the ride as a whole. What's your expeience with SS? How does the handling compare with a steel 29er? Have you had any major issues with the frame?

I currently have a Walt Works and love it, but am going to be working in Florida for the next 2 years and want to build the WW to a singlespeed, but still want a geared enduro race bike.

Thanks for your feedback! Cheers
    Last edited by k2biker; 06-01-2007 at 09:10 PM.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

-bustin punks
    raises hand....

DSCF3006

DSCF3001

DSCF3007

32x20 works great, no tensioner needed.

Down South Yooper
    Hey, What post is that? Looks like an Eriksen..

JP
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

MONKEYMAN
    that is an eriksen. My geared FarmBoy just got whiny- 'how come FatChanceTi's bike gets to have an eriksen post and I don't'
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

-bustin punks
    oops, forgot to answer the questions:

1. The frame rides real nice and smooth. Especially with the Ti post and AnAtomica saddle. It's a really fun bike to to my commute on - fast on the roads, but still able to cut across trails, hop curbs, do some urban playing, etc.

2. Gotchas? Toe Rub on my small (16") frame. Not all the time, but once in a while on tight stuff and sometimes when doing a trackstand or some other trials-y sorta stuff. The head angle is a pretty lax 71 deg, so I look at the 22" top tube.

3. Heavy. 6 lbs on the dot for my bare 16" frame. That bike as pictured is hovering right around 27 lbs. The heavy Bonty wheels don't help.

4. Yes, Eriksen post. It's freakin' great. It's a 360mm setback and I still have plenty of extension left to give. Nice cush without the excessive comfort of the Thuddy.

5. Going back to a slighter longer rake rigid fork next week. Hopefully that will help a touch more on the toe overlap. I also aim to try a shorter stem to see if it cleans up the steering a bit.

6. Love it as a singlespeed but the 32x20 requires all of my patience on my commute. It's geared that low to pull my daughter's trailer, but I may end up slapping a 1x9 setup (11-23 rear) back on in the near future.

Dr. Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti
    4. Yes, Eriksen post. It's freakin' great. It's a 360mm setback and I still have plenty of extension left to give. Nice cush without the excessive comfort of the Thuddy.
    Sorry to go OT but is there a website for that seatpost? I've searched but I'm not a good googler

'Calm Down'
    http://www.kenteriksen.com/

jw

Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy
    Sorry to go OT but is there a website for that seatpost? I've searched but I'm not a good googler
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Go make a difference
    FatChanceTi,
    Thanks for the feedback.

I just know there's more than one person out there who's riding this bike.....no if only I knew how to find them! Oh, I know! I'll post a question on the biggest international forum for the sport! Yea, that's sure it illicit some responses.

Wait...I've already done that and.....

{crickets}

oh well, maybe these mountain bike people are just shy and like to keep to themselves?! Well, at least one guy enjoys his bike around here.
    Charles Myrick

-bustin punks
    Well, if you want to read more, search for shiggy and Slingshot. He has an older steel version (the Bigshot). His isn't a singlespeed, but there are a few older threads where he discusses it in general.

Slingshot also has a MySpace page - you may be able to track down more owners through that.

Go make a difference
    I don't care if they're a singlespeed or not, I guess I shouldn't have put "SS" in the title. I was meaning the SS to be Slingshot and just kinda figured that folks would understand that. I don't like wordy titles.

I know about their blog but didn't know about the myspace page....i'll look that up later today. Thanks for that.

Gotta go back to saving the world now. Cheers!
    Charles Myrick

Down South Yooper

I've ridden that bike,

Fatchanceti is my brother, and I've ridden that bike in a similar configuration, different seatpost, but overall the same. I've also ridden several other 29ers, including a SIR9, Karate Monkey, Kelly, Wily, Fisher, etc, and by far, the slingshot is the smoothest of them all.

The toe overlap is really a slow speed issue, the first time I rode that bike was during a night ride, about 15 miles, with enough to think about besides the toe overlap, and it never caught me. I had an older true temper 26" version, and it was smooth, but the 29er was almost full suspension in comparison.

I would probably get a larger size, I prefer something closer to a 24" TT, but I would buy one if I were in the market for a new bike. It's no lightweight (my 2x9 KM is probably the same weight, maybe even lighter with a rigid fork), but I'm no lightweight at 210-215 lbs, so what do I care?

If you haven't ridden one, I highly recommend it as a viable alternative to a hardtail or softtail. It feels snappier to me than the Dos-Niner that I rode. Nice bikes and a lot of fun to ride.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    I don't care if they're a singlespeed or not, . . .
    Well in that case here's a couple of shots most recent to oldest:

1x9

with the sibex fork

mid build

I totally love this bike! LOTS of fun to ride. I got the package deal last year with velocity vxc wheels and a sibex Ti fork.
    I switched out the sibex for a Quiring taper fork. The sibex scared me a bit. I stripped the top tube and had the rear triangle powder coated at Sycip (they're about 30 miles north of here)
    It's not the inchworm that most people auto-assume. It rides very much like a hardtail just more supple. I don't really feel the 'slingpower' return of energy during the dead spot, but I do notice that when attacking steep and sloppy, loose condition trail it really has some get up and go! jumping up out of the saddle and hitting a really steep section of trail is like riding a billy goat- it just jumps! great traction. All toe lap issues I've had were at low speed switchback riding as mentioned. A minor annoyance no more.
    I'm currently running crows tubeless front and rear- I am using this bike as my daily commuter and weekend warrior. I just got an order in to Mike C. for another front wheel, I'm planning on running a rampage on that one and just swapping out as the ride warrants- easier than swapping a tire every time I want to go for a trail ride. Conditions around here don't really warrant a burly rear tread, marin and the peninsula are pretty well groomed. I drop the PSI a bit and don't suffer many traction issues.

Anyway, it's a great bike, get one!
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

Go make a difference
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Plum, also thanks for posting about not being a lightweight -- I hold steady at about 210 so that's a concern I have. The guys at SlingShot have told me it's not an issue and the bike will be primo for me. I have a friend that rides a SlingShot, I forget the model, and she loves the bike and gets great customer service from 'em.

I'm definitely thinking about taking the dive. Like I said, I'd set the Farmboy up as my geared bike and make my Walt Works a SS or a 1x9 -- I've got a hanger and an EBB on it, so I have options.

Thanks again!
    Charles Myrick

mtbr member
    May 2004

I have a little seat time on one.

I rode a 29r farmboy at a recent demo in Michigan. The bike rode lighter than it actually is -- that is a good thing. I weight around 165 with gear on a bike that was owned by a person who was over 200lbs -- I probably could have used a light spring but I still feel the bike road very smoothly. The trail I was on was not technical at all -- that is really where I would like to test it out more. At that same demo I also road a Salsa dos niner and ventana el patron -- both of those bikes had high end component packages/light wheel sets. The farmboy had the package they have on their website for around $2150. I though the slingshot road as nice as the salsa. I say try the demo and see for yourself.

mtbr member
    i've yet to ride the farmboy but i do have a couple steel 29ers. One is a single and the other is currently set up as my commuter, though it's been on trainer duty in the basement as of late. I love the way they both ride. Though i'm sure they're both heavier than their aluminum brother i just prefer steel. I haven't had any toe rub problems like fatchanceti but my frames are a little larger than his. If you have a chance to demo one i'd recommend it. (Just added the lefty this spring and love that too)
    Attached Images Attached Images

-bustin punks
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot
    i've yet to ride the farmboy but i do have a couple steel 29ers. One is a single and the other is currently set up as my commuter, though it's been on trainer duty in the basement as of late. I love the way they both ride. Though i'm sure they're both heavier than their aluminum brother i just prefer steel.
    Actually I think the aluminum Farmboy frame is the heaviest one out there for some odd reason. I think my old little wheeled frame (a 17 or 18") was something like 4.5-5 lbs for the frame only.

I sent an all aluminum Ripper frame (16") to a friend in Japan - that was 5.5 lbs .

weight weenies need not apply.

My Farmboy is now down to a hair over 25 lbs (with a rigid carbon fork installed on it). I think I could get into the 23.XX lb range with some lighter wheels, rim brakes, etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Plum, also thanks for posting about not being a lightweight -- I hold steady at about 210 so that's a concern I have. The guys at SlingShot have told me it's not an issue and the bike will be primo for me. I have a friend that rides a SlingShot, I forget the model, and she loves the bike and gets great customer service from 'em.

I'm definitely thinking about taking the dive. Like I said, I'd set the Farmboy up as my geared bike and make my Walt Works a SS or a 1x9 -- I've got a hanger and an EBB on it, so I have options.

Thanks again!
    210 lbs is to heavy for a slingshot IMHO. I would try to talk to some people that have owned them and wiegh in at 200 and above for a more adjective opinion.
    By the way the steel frames that were built in the US averaged 5lbs

Go make a difference
    #2~
    i've spoken with the Slingshot guys about the weight and they tell me not to worry. The one guy I spoke with said he weighs 210 as well. We'll see, i still wanna ride one.
    Charles Myrick

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    They are trying to sell bikes.

-bustin punks

now lighter...

DSCF3052

and then:

DSCF3051

11 is one louder than 10

220 lbs - no problems so far

I've got a slingshot folder set up as a SS since last fall. Unfortunately I'm fat as hell right now at 220lbs.

That said, so far, no problems with the slingshot. It's a fun SS and I dig it. In fact, I'm hoping the dedicated 29er with paragon dropouts arrives this fall, rather than next season.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    I rode a Farmboy SS set up w/ eccentric rear hub most of last year, great bike. With my best weight weenie tricks I got it down to just under 20 pounds. Great for bumpy singletrack and great for high speed race courses. Not great for climbing up mountains, but that's not what you want a SS for. I liked it way better than the Ripper. If you can find an old Big Shot 29er SS that would be very cool, I might have liked that one the best of all the Slingshots I had. Scott and the guys at Slingshot are extra cool and will help you out after the sale as well. That's worth alot right there.........