mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Slicks/Road Tire suggestions

I've got a 2005 GF Paragon and I'm looking for suggestions on some good tires I could put on my bike for some winter road riding. Anyone have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

cheap

winter training tires are for taking abuse. get a good deal. pick up something with a reasonable volume. (23c-28c) But, most of all, get something cheap. keep in mind that these tires are not for racing, but for riding on the road. That in itself isnt very demanding for a tire. And all brands make a good cheap training tire. im looking forward to doing this myself when i get a 29er in the next few months. I plan to have a set of training road wheels and a set of knobbies. I think its a great idea to do training rides with the same crank/seat/pedal configuration as you are going to race or ride hard in the woods so as to take it easy on the knees. Good luck

mtbr member
    I would not say road riding isn't demanding on a tire. Broken glass, metal cans and debris will all conspire to ruin your ride. I just put Performance SpeedTrac/K Multi-Use road tires on my cross bike for winter road riding. Kevlar belt to help with punctures. 35mm wide with small knobs provides a pretty nice contact patch for wet leaves, cinders...(depending on where you live that might be a factor) They are on sale now for online $12. I have used them on a few rides so far and they have been great. Good luck.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    i use a set of ritchey speedmax 32c's. i couldn't be happier with them. not sure how cheap they are, though.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Right now I'm loving the Conti Sport contact in 700x32. Cross tyres in general go well for mixed terrain - a search would turn up quite a few opinions on multi use tyres.

Sam

Moderator Moderator
    I've been using Maxxis Detonator (700x23) after being turned on to them by a rep that runs a fleet of Serotta demo bikes. They are cheap, thick, and known as a good all around tire.

Also, I think Soma is making some road tires w/ like 3x the amount of rubber to prevent punctures. I haven't tried them, but they are on my list to try if/when I ever get a flat w/ the Maxxis or when they wear out.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

relatively demand free, i would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Zotto
    I would not say road riding isn't demanding on a tire. Broken glass, metal cans and debris will all conspire to ruin your ride. I just put Performance SpeedTrac/K Multi-Use road tires on my cross bike for winter road riding. Kevlar belt to help with punctures. 35mm wide with small knobs provides a pretty nice contact patch for wet leaves, cinders...(depending on where you live that might be a factor) They are on sale now for online $12. I have used them on a few rides so far and they have been great. Good luck.
    this sounds like it would be a good tire for you to try. they are super cheap. thats what I was talking about. and, training tires typically dont take the abuse from the rider on a typical road ride that racing tires do in, say, a road race or crit. i was just trying to steer the questiner away from picking out something light and soft and expensive that a road racer might use in a race.
    if the questioner wants to ride this bike along with other people on the road on road bikes then they might want to consider a standard "road" tire(23c-28c) for minimal rolling resistance. but 12 bucks would be a great price to pay for almost any tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rryyddeerr
    this sounds like it would be a good tire for you to try. they are super cheap. thats what I was talking about. and, training tires typically dont take the abuse from the rider on a typical road ride that racing tires do in, say, a road race or crit. i was just trying to steer the questiner away from picking out something light and soft and expensive that a road racer might use in a race.
    if the questioner wants to ride this bike along with other people on the road on road bikes then they might want to consider a standard "road" tire(23c-28c) for minimal rolling resistance. but 12 bucks would be a great price to pay for almost any tire.
    Sorry, I should have taken that first part out. I sounded like a d-bag as soon as I re-read it.